Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2014 3:36:03 PM EDT
Any tips/tricks for winterizing a sprinkler system without a huge air compressor?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Patience.  I have a pancake compressor.  It takes a lot of patience
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't have any sized air compressor, not do I see a port to hook one up to the system.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't have any sized air compressor, not do I see a port to hook one up to the system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pay to have it done.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you don't have one of these?

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.irrigationsupplydepot.com/images/products/sprinkler%20backflow%20%20720a.jpg

I do have a backflow preventer. Can the air compressor be hooked in directly to it?

As opposed to like this:

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#6]
bump
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#7]

I don't have to winterize mine

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Remove the backflow preventer, duct tape a shop vac hose to the pipe and suck it all out:

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Winterizing-Your-Irrigation-System-DIY-s/7347.htm
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I do have a backflow preventer. Can the air compressor be hooked in directly to it?

As opposed to like this:

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Projects/FH11DJA_WINSPR_01.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.irrigationsupplydepot.com/images/products/sprinkler%20backflow%20%20720a.jpg

As opposed to like this:

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Projects/FH11DJA_WINSPR_01.JPG

Yes you can.  Some say you need to be careful to not melt the plastic parts inside the backflow preventer. I have never had an issue.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do, and I live at the beach. All I do is drain and disassemble the backflow preventer. The 2 years I didn't they froze and cracked.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Move to Florida.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Remove the backflow preventer, duct tape a shop vac hose to the pipe and suck it all out:

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Winterizing-Your-Irrigation-System-DIY-s/7347.htm

View Quote

My backflow preventers are sweated on.

Is the best thing really to cut them off and reattach in spring???

Is there any trick to using a shop vac to suck the water out? Valves that should be opened or closed?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm interested in this too.

My backflow preventer is inside the house, so no worries there.  

Is a shopvac powerful enough to suck the water from the lines in the ground?  That's my real worry as the frost goes 3' deep here.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I do, and I live at the beach. All I do is drain and disassemble the backflow preventer. The 2 years I didn't they froze and cracked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a place in Brunswick Co. and I have never drained that system either.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have to winterize mine.

The one year that I didn't in Georgia, a line froze and cracked.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#16]
It takes a large volume of air to properly blow out sprinkler pipes, that is why pros use a large compressor.
Pay the $50 you will be glad you did.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It takes a large volume of air to properly blow out sprinkler pipes, that is why pros use a large compressor.
Pay the $50 you will be glad you did.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Those test ports are the same size and threads as a compressor hose, so if you have a quick connect, you can screw in a male adapter to the test port. You only need a screw driver to turn them 90 degrees.  Just make sure the 3/4" valve from the backflow is off.      

I have a  20 gallon that I let fill up each time and run through the zones one at a time twice in series and it's obvious when the water is out.    I also rigged up something like in your one picture and it's worked fine for 5 years at this house.     I also use the male adapter approach at the MIL's for a few years and that works too.    

That being said:  It's a time consuming pain in the ass.   Most lawn guys are driving around doing specials.   Probably easier to just flag one of them down or look for a flyer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I've seen it done with a tow behind, it was awesome to watch and took about 5 minutes.

I would bet doing it with a small compressor would suck.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Those test ports are the same size and threads as a compressor hose, so if you have a quick connect, you can screw in a male adapter to the test port. You only need a screw driver to turn them 90 degrees.  Just make sure the 3/4" valve from the backflow is off.      

I have a  20 gallon that I let fill up each time and run through the zones one at a time twice in series and it's obvious when the water is out.    I also rigged up something like in your one picture and it's worked fine for 5 years at this house.     I also use the male adapter approach at the MIL's for a few years and that works too.    

That being said:  It's a time consuming pain in the ass.   Most lawn guys are driving around doing specials.   Probably easier to just flag one of them down or look for a flyer.
View Quote

yup quick connect AFTER the vacuum and ensure the value is turned off.  I have a 5 gallon and run through all 5 zones one at a time refilling in between zones.  FUN
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#21]
$50 now is cheap for what you'll pay to have it repaired in the spring.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pay to have it done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pay to have it done.

exactly. I pay 30 bucks a year not to have to sit and wait for an hour to do i myself with my little compressor

J-
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#23]
i have a cheap ass 10 gallon harbor freight compressor that works fine. able to clear all 7 of my zones in about 30 mins.  
I did add an adapter to ea zone to quickly hook up this doodad to get the job done quickly
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056WQ7OU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
the couple years after I moved in to my house and did not do this I had costly repairs each May when firing up the system again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top