Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both the -21 and -23 had some nasty handling characteristics. I flew with a guy who knew a lot about flying Soviet aircraft.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Both the -21 and -23 had some nasty handling characteristics. I flew with a guy who knew a lot about flying Soviet aircraft.

Wiki has a real gem (if true):

Like many aircraft designed as interceptors, the MiG-21 had a short range. This was not helped by a design defect where the center of gravity shifted rearwards once two-thirds of the fuel had been used.[citation needed] This had the effect of making the plane uncontrollable, resulting in an endurance of only 45 minutes in clean condition. Additionally when more than half the fuel was used up, violent maneuveurs prevented fuel from flowing into the engine, thereby causing the aircraft to shutdown midflight.[3]

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Everything India has is junk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check out what theIndians have done to their -21s. Still a very formidable opponent even now.

They are junk.
The most crashed aircraft in the Indian military inventory.

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/08/the-trouble-with-indian-air-forces-mig-21-fighter-jets/?_r=0

Even their Su-30MKIs,  MiG-29s, and soon to have Rafales?  Get a clue.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do get the MiG 21 module though, it's very challenging and detailed. Come with a 181 page PDF manual. The whole aircraft is interesting. How the radar and navigation systems work is, uhm, also very interesting.
View Quote

Since it's a 21bis, it should have a Tumansky R-25 with CSR, but I have yet to see anybody confirm that. As you seem to have it, can you confirm whether or not they have that in there, and appropriately modeled (including what happens if you were to run it too long)?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

Doesn't matter how many fancy aircraft they buy, they still poop in the street.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
One of my soldiers almost took out a mig 21..........

With a truck.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One of my soldiers almost took out a mig 21..........

With a truck.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't matter if they poop in the street, they have the fancy aircraft and their ability to operate them effectively is well documented.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Doesn't matter if they poop in the street, they have the fancy aircraft and their ability to operate them effectively is well documented.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Links? Have they even had the opportunity to "operate them effectively"?

Their inability to figure out indoor plumbing is also well documented.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Since it's a 21bis, it should have a Tumansky R-25 with CSR, but I have yet to see anybody confirm that. As you seem to have it, can you confirm whether or not they have that in there, and appropriately modeled (including what happens if you were to run it too long)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do get the MiG 21 module though, it's very challenging and detailed. Come with a 181 page PDF manual. The whole aircraft is interesting. How the radar and navigation systems work is, uhm, also very interesting.

Not sure, but flights didn't last too long for me unless I had an external tank on it. Which then made the handling suck even more.

My Hard Drive crashed last weekend though, so I can't pull up the manual to see if the modeled plane had that turbine, but I bet it does.

I do know that pulling violent maneuvers with less than optimal fuel levels will cause the turbine to shut down, like the poster above me said. There's a switch located in the cockpit though for this very situation. You flip the "Emergency Start" switch up, turn the engine start mode switch from 'cold start' to 'normal start', press the 'engine startup' button for 4 seconds while sending the plane into a shallow dive. IIRC, I haven't played it in a while.

Hope that it starts up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop making yourself look like an idiot.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

So you don't have any links to the Indian Air Force using their newer aircraft effectively? But it was "well documented"?

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On another note, Ralfidude probably has the best (and funniest) review of the module.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#15]
What exactly is a "Fishbed"?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's where fish sleep.  Don't you know nothing?  
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Correct. YF-110G
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The YF-110.  

Correct. YF-110G

Not so much.

Designation

Remarks
YF-110B

MiG-21F-13 "Fishbed-C/E". [5] quotes the serials 75-001, 75-004 and 75-010 for this type.
YF-110C

Chengdu J-7B (MiG-21F-13 variant built in China)
YF-110D

MiG-21MF "Fishbed-J"
YF-110E

Designation used for unknown (probably foreign) type in the 1987/1995 time frame
YF-110L

Designation used for unknown (probably foreign) type in the 1987/1995 time frame
YF-110M

YF-113A

MiG-17F "Fresco-C" used in HAVE DRILL program
YF-113B

MiG-23BN "Flogger-F"
YF-113C

MiG-17F (actually a Chinese-built J-5) "Fresco-C" used in HAVE PRIVILEGE program
YF-113C

Designation reused for unknown (probably foreign) type in the 1987/1995 time frame
YF-113E

MiG-23MS "Flogger-E"
YF-113G

Possibly a secret USAF prototype developed and flown in the 1993/96 timeframe. There was much speculation about this designation, and it was also said that the YF-113G was a MiG-23 (of unknown subtype). However, the identification of the YF-113G as a U.S. prototype was made by reliable sources quoting a YF-113G pilot's official biography.

YF-113H

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Faggot, fishbed, flogger fulcrum.....noticing a pattern?  Nato code words used to describe enemy air.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

As I understand it, it's a made up word.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Group buy?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Maintained by the nation that can't even make functional small arms or ammunition.
View Quote

Really? Ever heard of the Ishapore 2A/2A1?  

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Faggot, fishbed, flogger fulcrum.....noticing a pattern?  Nato code words used to describe enemy air.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You forgot Foxbat.

I know what a faggot, flogger, and fulcrum are. still don't know what a fishbed is.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

To reduce the risk of confusion, unusual or made-up names were allocated, the idea being that the names chosen would be unlikely to occur in normal conversation, and be easier to memorize.

For fixed-wing aircraft, single-syllable words denoted piston-prop and turboprop, while multiple-syllable words denoted jets.

Bombers had names starting with the letter B and names like Badger (2 syllables: jet), Bear (single syllable: propeller), and Blackjack were used.

"Frogfoot,” the reporting name for the Sukhoi Su-25, references the aircraft’s close air support role.

Transports had names starting with C (as in "cargo”), which resulted in names like Condor or Candid.

A fictional NATO reporting name "Firefox" for a fictional "MiG-31" appears in the novel Firefox and subsequent movie.

The real MiG-31 from 1979 was assigned the reporting name "Foxhound".

Google, it's a motherfucker.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#24]
At least four different Fishbed variants in that Polish pic.

Superficially seems to be a maintenance nightmare but I imagine that if NATO and the WaPa had gone to war all of them would have been dust within 48 hours.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No,just arcane. It's a strata especially rich in fossilized fish.

I'm just posting my favorite 21 paint jobs

Egyptian with IFF panels

The Indians did lots of IFF colors in stripes and  panels too

Finnish Fishbed funny because

the same squadron shot down a fuckload of MiGs and LaGGs and Pos  and Las  awhile  before

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#26]

The problem won't be buying it.

The problem will be maintenance. I think I've heard somewhere around $5000 / month if you just fly it once a month.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#27]

That first one 809 I wonder what the window behind the pilot is. You can see the two seaters in the back of the row. Maybe a photo recon version? Wild weasel type?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#28]
J-7 Fishcan, modified MiG-21.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chengdu_J-7
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That first one 809 I wonder what the window behind the pilot is. You can see the two seaters in the back of the row. Maybe a photo recon version? Wild weasel type?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As short of legs as the MiG 21 has, I can't see it being any use as an EW or SEAD platform.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:57:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check out what theIndians have done to their -21s. Still a very formidable opponent even now.

They are junk.
The most crashed aircraft in the Indian military inventory.

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/08/the-trouble-with-indian-air-forces-mig-21-fighter-jets/?_r=0

From the article:

A few months back,  India’s defense minister, A.K. Antony, said that out of 29 crashes over the past three years in the Indian Air Force, 12 have been MIG-21 airframes. Two more MIG-21s have crashed since Mr. Antony put out those numbers.

So...17 of the Indian Air Force aircraft that became lawn darts in the last three years were not Mig-21's. The Russians do point out that the reason for many of the crashes is because the IAF uses substandard spares to maintain their fleet. Hopefully they buy parts for their newest aircraft from the supplying countries.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:00:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As short of legs as the MiG 21 has, I can't see it being any use as an EW or SEAD platform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just a MiG-21F13 Fishbed C  -the F means update and 13 is for the K-13 missile aka the AA-2 Atoll to NATO. That's just an early 60s production fighter/short range interceptor.

The small windows are just for rearward visability,like the side windows on fighters such as the P-36 and P-40 in WWII. Later bis/MF  models got a much larger spine that the canopy fairs into and have abysmal rearward visibility.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's just a MiG-21F13 Fishbed C  -the F means update and 13 is for the K-13 missile aka the AA-2 Atoll to NATO. That's just an early 60s production fighter/short range interceptor.

The small windows are just for rearward visability,like the side windows on fighters such as the P-36 and P-40 in WWII. Later bis/MF  models got a much larger spine that the canopy fairs into and have abysmal rearward visibility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. What time frame was the MiG-21F13 Fishbed C in operation and which countries used it? Just thinking of building a model of it and really like weathering effects on that number 809.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:06:43 AM EDT
[#33]

The bottom one is a 15.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:09:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Do get the MiG 21 module though, it's very challenging and detailed. Come with a 181 page PDF manual.
View Quote

Damn... That's probably more pages than the Soviet manual for the real plane.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:15:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do get the MiG 21 module though, it's very challenging and detailed. Come with a 181 page PDF manual.

Of course it is.

Here is a picture of the Russian manual.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:29:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Have you guys heard of the Mig-21 bunny fighter?

Excerpt from http://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/mig21bfc/build.htm

-------------------------------------------
In late 1995, the Democratic Republic of Congo acquired eight ex-Czech MiG-21MF aircraft. During the 1997 civil war (also known as the War of June 5) the forces of the Congolese Labor Party led by President Col. Denis Sassou Nguesso used these aircraft along with Chinese made F-7 Skybolt in a series of brutal attacks raging across the country. Due to a lack of local skilled pilots capable of flying these aircraft, foreign mercenaries were regularly employed, most coming from the Ukraine and other former soviet block states.

In addition to the major fighting between the Lissouba and Sassou forces in the major capital city of Kinshasa, skirmishes would regularly break out across the country with local warlords hiring (or capturing) any nearby military assets. The extreme corruption of the air force meant that aircraft were more often used for private 'business' of their fliers and their superiors than operations against rebels.

One of the more unusual disputes centered around the ownership of local carrot fields with neighboring country Angola. This fight, the so called "Carrot War" saw a short, but bloody, ground and air war in and around the border town of Tshikapa. One of the more colorful Ukrainian mercenary pilots (Igor Valenchenko) had one of the Congo MiG fighters painted in an outlandish "Bunny" scheme. Valenchenko used this unusually colorful MiG as bait to lure Angolan aircraft into a fight. This proved to be a highly successful tactic which earned Valenchenko three kills, in addition to a number of ground kills on Angolan light armour.

As with most Congolese military aircraft, the service life of the MiG's was short. Like the other services, the Congolese Air Force was not capable of carrying out its maintenance responsibilities. Even today few of the Air Force's aircraft are currently flyable or capable of being restored to service and it is unclear whether the Air Force is capable of maintaining even unsophisticated aircraft.

Unfortunately, the fate of this distinctive MiG was the same as most Congolese aircraft. It now sits derelict in an aircraft graveyard on the outskirts of Kinshasa subject to the ravages of the harsh African climate and looters.
-----------------------------------------------------

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:40:38 AM EDT
[#37]
The VPAF and the -17 and -21 would be footnotes in history if the traitors in the White House would have allowed the Air Force to take out the VPAF bases instead of making them off limits.

Who the fuck gives sanctuary to the enemy during a shooting war?  Oh, wait, Democrats do.

TC
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:51:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Of course it is.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/Net/russian-standard-vodka_zps0aa85355.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course it is.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/Net/russian-standard-vodka_zps0aa85355.jpg

Exactly.

Manual? Of not need manual. You get in plane, I tell you from ground what do. You survive? You MiG pilot now. If not, you replaced with next candidate.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:08:20 AM EDT
[#39]

I love the idiots in the media that think we need that red circle and shaded outer field to see the fire and smoke that takes up 3/4 of the frame.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:16:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So you don't have any links to the Indian Air Force using their newer aircraft effectively? But it was "well documented"?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.rense.com/general58/VVS.HTM

http://theaviationist.com/2014/06/18/su-30-beat-f-15-everytime/

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2008/11/usaf-pilot-describes-iaf-su30m/

The fact that we let them participate in Red Flag should be evidence enough that they have competent pilots. They have held their own there pretty well from everything I've read.*

*I know nothing about what ROEs were established for those engagements.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:08:35 AM EDT
[#41]
beat by the guy above me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2008/11/usaf-pilot-describes-iaf-su30m/

The fact that we let them participate in Red Flag should be evidence enough that they have competent pilots. They have held their own there pretty well from everything I've read.*

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Peru, Pakistan, and Thailand have participated in Red Flag as well.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Typical Soviet junk.

Very  short range fighter.

I sat in one and fought them in training.

It had for it's time very good slow speed handling. But if you chose not to get slow with it, it was dead meat, assuming it survived to the merge due to lawyers.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Typical Soviet junk.

Very  short range fighter.

I sat in one and fought them in training.

It had for it's time very good slow speed handling. But if you chose not to get slow with it, it was dead meat, assuming it survived to the merge due to lawyers.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

To reduce the risk of confusion, unusual or made-up names were allocated, the idea being that the names chosen would be unlikely to occur in normal conversation, and be easier to memorize.

For fixed-wing aircraft, single-syllable words denoted piston-prop and turboprop, while multiple-syllable words denoted jets.

Bombers had names starting with the letter B and names like Badger (2 syllables: jet), Bear (single syllable: propeller), and Blackjack were used.

"Frogfoot,” the reporting name for the Sukhoi Su-25, references the aircraft’s close air support role.

Transports had names starting with C (as in "cargo”), which resulted in names like Condor or Candid.

A fictional NATO reporting name "Firefox" for a fictional "MiG-31" appears in the novel Firefox and subsequent movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_reporting_name

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_reporting_name

If the Soviet Union still existed, we'd have named one of their transports the Cockfag a few years ago.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/JumGR-lnmkI Dated technology by today's standpoint but in it's day a hell of a plane. I believe some airforces still have them as reserve planes.
View Quote

The best thing about the 21 is it was made to maintained and repaired by the lowest common denominator in a third world environment.

Simple, robust and easy to work on compared to comparable aircraft, made to operate on dirt or grass as well as tarmac.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#47]
It would have whupped wholesale ass in WWII.   Unfortunately, in WWII the Russkies were flying these:

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:42:58 AM EDT
[#48]
All I know is that having your house buzzed by a MiG-21 wants me to grab an AK and yell WOLVERINES!  I am clearly a child of the cold war.

A few locals have them and fly them occasionally, including one guy at my local airport.  I probably see more Russian fighters in the air than US ones these days.

I've heard that they aren't that expensive to run (as far as high performance combat aircraft go). And that the later versions aren't that hard to fly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:01:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It would have whupped wholesale ass in WWII.   Unfortunately, in WWII the Russkies were flying these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Polikarpov_I-15bis.jpg
View Quote

Good point. That's why Germany won WWII.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Polikarpov_I-15bis.jpg
View Quote

Po-2 is best Po.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top