Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2014 9:14:00 PM EDT
When I was in the Marines I saw frags, smokes, CS, flashbangs, and even the rare incendiary. I always heard about the "offensive" MK3A2 concussion grenade but never saw one or heard about it being issued.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen all you have, plus thermite.  Never seen a MK3A2, but heard about it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen them; or a close variant.  Never used them, but worked for some guys that used them.  

They used them to initiate call outs... would blow out every piece of glass in the compound.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]
So, it's a big hand grenade?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Concussion grenade. Blast Over-Pressure.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Overseas, yes. Stateside, no. It is NOT a flashbang.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like it would be awesome to set up on a trip line to let you know someone was coming... maybe in an area where you might not want to kill everything that may venture down a path.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Much smaller kill radius, depends on concussion, not fragmentation, can be used while assaulting, or for room clearing...thus "offensive" as opposed to defensive or frag types.

Technically the German M24 "Potato Masher" was an offensive grenade....although it did have a sheet metal canister which would fragment, it depended more on the concussion effect. They actually had frag sleeves that slipped over the head to enhance the frag capability. I actually have an M24 (inert) with a frag sleeve, "SS" Pattern, which is a smooth sleeve...but the reality is, both the SS and Heer used it...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
sounds like it would be awesome to set up on a trip line to let you know someone was coming... maybe in an area where you might not want to kill everything that may venture down a path.
View Quote

uh no
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are trip flares for that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I threw 100 of them in one day during an experiment. It wasn't fun. Nose bleeds and a headache all fucking night afterward. M67s and the new replacement for the M67 were more fun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I threw 100 of them in one day during an experiment. It wasn't fun. Nose bleeds and a headache all fucking night afterward. M67s and the new replacement for the M67 were more fun.
View Quote

M67 replacement? Tell us more....
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Why is it military grammar is more suited to GD than proper English?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL That's called a concussion, numbnuts!  Do you still have headaches and such?  You may have TBI.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup, and they are NASTY in an enclosed area, say a Hardened Aircraft Shelter...excellent for assault teams, bad for the receivers.

There was a Female AF cop killed by one during a force on force exercise in Guam in the early 1990's...It was mistaken for a GBS and was thrown into her DFP.  Traumatic amputation of her leg, she bled out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Seen them, handled them. Used the other ones .
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or claymores....
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
or claymores....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

or claymores....
If you have the know how to improvise.  Otherwise the m57 firing device is nothing more than a remote trigger for command detonation.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

o
No , Claymore. You want to play, lets go.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok, I was at a place where we were training with grenades.  Set the woods on fire, put it out by more grenades to snuff it out.  There is more to the story.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I've never seen one of those before, but we found out real fast the the timed fuze on the christmas ornament looking CS grenades is REALLY SHORT.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LOL That's called a concussion, numbnuts!  Do you still have headaches and such?  You may have TBI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm aware. I wouldn't have been there if I had a choice. And yes, I do have TBI. 500 grenades over a two week span will do that to a person.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Overseas, yes. Stateside, no. It is NOT a flashbang.
View Quote

There is both a Flash and a Bang... So um...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

No frag, lots of explosive.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It didn't have a nomenclature yet when we tested them, no idea if they do now or not. It was basically a larger flashbang with a screw on metal sleeve. Throw the grenade without the sleeve and it was a less-lethal concussion grenade. Throw it with the sleeve installed and it became a frag grenade, the sleeve is segmented for better frag dispersion.

This model and two improved versions of the M67 were tested against the standard M67 and the standard concussion grenade. The two versions of the M67 were textured. They had a grippy sandpaperish coating to give better grip when thrown. One was completely covered in the texture, the other had just a small band of it.

The experiment was to determine the optimum grenade type for throwing distance and accuracy. 9 of us threw 100 of each grenade type for a total of 500 per person over a two week period. It fucking sucked.

One of these days I'm going to start a thread about some of the stuff my unit tested. LSAT machine gun, hybrid thermal/IR NVGs, Ares machine gun, quad copter UAVs, boston dynamics 4-legged robot, automated turret sentry gun with a 240 mounted on it. Some pretty cool stuff
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm aware. I wouldn't have been there if I had a choice. And yes, I do have TBI. 500 grenades over a two week span will do that to a person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea...I was A-gunner for 97 AT4 launches in one afternoon. I think ure supposed to be limited to 5 a day. By the end of the day everything would go black for a second every time they launched. No ill effects though :).
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Those are badass.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I want a crate of them.  They sound like they'd fuck someones day up real quick.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#29]
The fiber bodies of these offensive grenades are so fragile that in my experience they usually break open if they land on anything harder than loose sand causing them to low order and scatter the crushed main charge.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Seen a few over the years.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yea...I was A-gunner for 97 AT4 launches in one afternoon. I think ure supposed to be limited to 5 a day. By the end of the day everything would go black for a second every time they launched. No ill effects though :).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, I hope you and PG got VA rated for that...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#32]

That's cute.

-markl32, former combat engineer, deployed satchel charges in the Gulf War.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like a smoke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top