BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Except there's nothing to see or do under the hood.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's only if the power fails.

not the hood, you have to do that every time.

Looked like the windshield fluid tank was in there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I would not call it "over-engineered".  I would call it, and without question, an "under-engineered" car.  There are all sorts of features and functions for which they have no practical solution.  That is the very definition of under-engineering.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Pubic mound shot on the broad in the tangerine dress @ 2:25.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never met a BMW owner who wasn't a condescending asshole.
View Quote

This explains my coworkers attitude.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It's been that way on a lot of premium cars for awhile. My 2011 BMW 335d didn't have dipstick to check the oil level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, you pretty much have to take it into the shop to check the engine oil level or add windshield washer fluid?  

It's been that way on a lot of premium cars for awhile. My 2011 BMW 335d didn't have dipstick to check the oil level.

Thanks.  I drive a vehicle that doesn't have a tire pressure monitoring system, and you have to turn the headlights on and off manually.  It even has a manual 5-speed transmission.

I understand that BMWs and other top-shelf vehicles come with extensive service contracts.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a 135 vertible.....and I'm a nice guy too! Nothing gets more looks than driving down the road, on a beautiful sunny day...top down. And a Freightliner exhaust pipe along for the ride.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can't wait until some of our local mechanics get ahold of that.  
View Quote

Then they crack the hood. Hood has to come from germany for $87,000.

Has to be painted with matching paint made with aborted fetuses for another $13,000.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]
For nearly 40 years I have been refereeing to those as "Boring Marin Wheels".  Unfortunately that make no sense in Pennsylvania.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Germans have a long standing tradition of overly complicated engineering.  Look at the suspensions on some of their WWII tanks.  I don't know why, it just is.
View Quote
cant you remove 2-3 parts from the luger and still have it work fine?

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#10]
BMW is the morons who spent untold millions on a hydrogen powered car.   Why?  Overpriced, no market and no supporting infrastructure.  Total waste of money.
Also, some idiot bought a used (750 miles) I8 on Barrett/Jackson last night for $140K + 10% buyers commission....bad buy and horrible investment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Germans have a long standing tradition of overly complicated engineering.  Look at the suspensions on some of their WWII tanks.  I don't know why, it just is.

View Quote

I'm going to have to disagree somewhat with this statement.  The Germans have a history of over engineering, making things tough and strong...and sometimes too heavy, but not over complicating them.  At least when it comes to cars. Look at the teutonic simplicity of German cars before the late 80's and 90's, and the crap they're putting out today.  Hell a 1990 911 interior and controls were simple and not all that different from 911 from 1970.  Mercedes 107's had a run from 71-89' with very little changing in their design.  

I have a 1995 325i sitting in my garage right now, it's actually a good car, but the suspension is old and I need to do some suspension work on it.  The problem is even doing the work myself, the cost of  the parts alone exceed the value of the car.  Completely repaired the car is worth at most $2k.  Which is next to nothing.  Now I can, and probably will make the repairs, because I enjoy working on cars, and once repaired it's probably got another 30-50k miles of getting you from A to B without much maintenance cost, and I one of the kids will drive it.

But most people won't or can't work on cars themselves, and because a lot of newer cars are so complex, and require so many specialized tools and procedures to work on, who can blame them.  It makes no sense to buy hundreds, or sometimes even thousands of dollars of tools that ONLY work on one model of car.  Cars are disposable items now.  Today once the car goes out of "warranty" and the automotive technicians become too expensive an option to maintain them, the average consumer is left with only one option buying a new car.  

Planned obsolescence is the only business model that works today.  We are a consumer society.

With that said the Germans have lost their minds with this car.  If it cost $135k, you're going to be able to pick up some very cheap used ones in 5 or 6 years, and in 10-15 years you won't be able to give them away, nor will you see any on the road.  The first trip to the dealership service department, after the warrenty is up, will have the consumer talking to the sales department.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm going to have to disagree somewhat with this statement.  The Germans have a history of over engineering, making things tough and strong...and sometimes too heavy, but not over complicating them.  At least when it comes to cars. Look at the teutonic simplicity of German cars before the late 80's and 90's, and the crap they're putting out today.  Hell a 1990 911 interior and controls were simple and not all that different from 911 from 1970.  Mercedes 107's had a run from 71-89' with very little changing in their design.  

I have a 1995 325i sitting in my garage right now, it's actually a good car, but the suspension is old and I need to do some suspension work on it.  The problem is even doing the work myself, the cost of  the parts alone exceed the value of the car.  Completely repaired the car is worth at most $2k.  Which is next to nothing.  Now I can, and probably will make the repairs, because I enjoy working on cars, and once repaired it's probably got another 30-50k miles of getting you from A to B without much maintenance cost, and I one of the kids will drive it.

But most people won't or can't work on cars themselves, and because a lot of newer cars are so complex, and require so many specialized tools and procedures to work on, who can blame them.  It makes no sense to buy hundreds, or sometimes even thousands of dollars of tools that ONLY work on one model of car.  Cars are disposable items now.  Today once the car goes out of "warranty" and the automotive technicians become too expensive an option to maintain them, the average consumer is left with only one option buying a new car.  

Planned obsolescence is the only business model that works today.  We are a consumer society.

With that said the Germans have lost their minds with this car.  If it cost $135k, you're going to be able to pick up some very cheap used ones in 5 or 6 years, and in 10-15 years you won't be able to give them away, nor will you see any on the road.  The first trip to the dealership service department, after the warrenty is up, will have the consumer talking to the sales department.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is not really true at least as Honda, Subaru and Toyota's go. Maybe a few domestics also.

The best car buying advice from me is to buy a brand or model that is known to be reliable and has fantastic resale value.

Resale on German cars is terrible.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
there is a guy at work who parks near me who has a ford truck with those stupid truck nutz dangling from the trailer hitch receiver.
ergo, all ford truck owners are inbred redneck trailer park assholes.

i love stereotyping. ar-jedi
View Quote
I never said all BMW owners were condescending assholes.  Just the male heterosexual ones that I've met.  

And I have no such automotive testicles attached to any of my automobiles, thus your theorem about all truck owners is invalid.  I suggest you not skip logic next time is it taught.

And I offer one more reason not to own a BMW:
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I never said all BMW owners were condescending assholes.  Just the male heterosexual ones that I've met.  

And I have no such automotive testicles attached to any of my automobiles, thus your theorem about all truck owners is invalid.  I suggest you not skip logic next time is it taught.

http://youtu.be/mGE6roEThig
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
there is a guy at work who parks near me who has a ford truck with those stupid truck nutz dangling from the trailer hitch receiver.

retarded video is retarded.

you made him some money via his click-bait, so i guess he's the smart one.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ar-jedi

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/800x450/format/jpg/quality/85/http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/04/oillevel630.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/800x450/format/jpg/quality/85/http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/04/oillevel630.jpg

I bet you will be happy once they mandate smart guns with a watch, because electronics never fail or have errors.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:50:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A whopping 357bhp; stand the fuck back!
View Quote

isnt the I8 anelectric car, meaning electric motors, =which means that 376 BHP is at 0RPMthrough 10000 rpm . think max torque on the tap of the pedal, no reving to  3000 and droppping the clutch.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:51:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bet you will be happy once they mandate smart guns with a watch, because electronics never fail or have errors.
View Quote

well in this case there is a level sensor and a pressure sensor, which are interrogated every single time you start the engine, and while it's running.  
this results in an oil level check at a rate of about 10000 times more often than the average person does it.  

yes, electronics can fail.  

how many people fail to check their oil level regularly?  do you?

do you trust the gas gauge in your car?  why?
what about the ABS system?  why?
what about throttle by wire?  why?

have you flown in a modern aircraft?  why?
been treated at the ER recently?  why?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

isnt the I8 anelectric car, meaning electric motors, =which means that 376 BHP is at 0RPMthrough 10000 rpm . think max torque on the tap of the pedal, no reving to  3000 and droppping the clutch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A whopping 357bhp; stand the fuck back!

don't get in the way of his 1960's "440CID 4bbl into a Powerglide!" thinking.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:57:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Where is the windshield washer fluid container?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's only if the power fails.

not the hood, you have to do that every time.

Where is the windshield washer fluid container?  

Swinehund!  Zat may only be replenished by ze trained und qualified BMW Engineering Technician!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:13:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

well in this case there is a level sensor and a pressure sensor, which are interrogated every single time you start the engine, and while it's running.  
this results in an oil level check at a rate of about 10000 times more often than the average person does it.  

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

If the electronics are properly designed and implemented, then  you would guess a false "no oil" situation versus and false "full oil" situation if the sensor failed.. I would rather that over having to check a dip stick.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:35:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Mine is 24 years old and the most complicated thing in it is the electric sunroof. 5 speed,0 cup holders,heated nothing but it's been a long time since BMW built cars like this

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/BCE81830-CFFA-4F9F-BF68-1DD5CDED5D17.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never met a BMW owner who wasn't a condescending asshole.

Mine is 24 years old and the most complicated thing in it is the electric sunroof. 5 speed,0 cup holders,heated nothing but it's been a long time since BMW built cars like this

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/BCE81830-CFFA-4F9F-BF68-1DD5CDED5D17.jpg

I've got 1 too,great car.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:41:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Hey, if you got the bucks, party on.   That kind of "platform", and I use the term advisedly, is going to appeal to people who spend all their time working with words.   It is not going to appeal to people who work with complicated machinery.   It's really not that different than those complicated DJ rigs with lots of sliders, faders and switches -- it's a chance for people to feel like they're in a Star Trek movie.  

word.

I see that car and I want to send the engineering team to the gas chamber, which happens to be about 20 miles away. The car is needlessly complicated.  But like I said, it's not pointless; it gives people a chance to be Geordi LaForge.   (Did you notice the suicide blonde who jumped in the car? She was wearing wingtips like I had back in 1985)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If the electronics are properly designed and implemented, then  you would guess a false "no oil" situation versus and false "full oil" situation if the sensor failed.. I would rather that over having to check a dip stick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Having delt with the audi oil level sensor fairly extensively,  when the sensor fails it gives a fault for "oil level sensor implausible signal." It will not mark too high or too low.

The complex problem associated with the oil level senor system is failed hood switches. If the computer does not see the hood open due to a bad switch it will not updat the oil level, and will mark too low, when oil is added it will mark too high. Germans being procedural will not reset the system till the hood has sent a open signal, because you could not have possibly changed the oil level without opening the hood.

They are good systems once you understand the logic behind their operation. The systems were also implemented for good reason, first, the oil level is always updated in a place where the owner can easily check and understand, second with the increase in emmissions reduction required pcv systems have become very sensitive to false air, the dipstick seal ring being damaged threw use was a constant source of false air and can be difficult to diagnose.

Btw, the sensors are ultrasound type, and very sensitive, it also appears the ecu tracks oil consumption, though I think its still a early implementation of this, the measured values are difficult to decipher.  These values are often added in before they are officially implemented. I'm sure in future generations we'll see reliable values for oil consumption.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Having delt with the audi oil level sensor fairly extensively,  when the sensor fails it gives a fault for "oil level sensor implausible signal." It will not mark too high or too low.

The complex problem associated with the oil level senor system is failed hood switches. If the computer does not see the hood open due to a bad switch it will not updat the oil level, and will mark too low, when oil is added it will mark too high. Germans being procedural will not reset the system till the hood has sent a open signal, because you could not have possibly changed the oil level without opening the hood.

They are good systems once you understand the logic behind their operation. The systems were also implemented for good reason, first, the oil level is always updated in a place where the owner can easily check and understand, second with the increase in emmissions reduction required pcv systems have become very sensitive to false air, the dipstick seal ring being damaged threw use was a constant source of false air and can be difficult to diagnose.

Btw, the sensors are ultrasound type, and very sensitive, it also appears the ecu tracks oil consumption, though I think its still a early implementation of this, the measured values are difficult to decipher.  These values are often added in before they are officially implemented. I'm sure in future generations we'll see reliable values for oil consumption.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

I'll keep my dipstick.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#25]
It is interesting that the people that are defending the condescending assholes, are doing it in a condescendingly assholish way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a pretty sexy looking car IMHO.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Counter point: Here's the cooling system diagram for my '06 GTI.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'll keep my dipstick.
View Quote

the logic that creates automotive companies that require government funded bailouts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

the logic that creates automotive companies that require government funded bailouts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll keep my dipstick.

and the Germans keep producing unreliable high maintenance cars with terrible depreciation.

I'll stick with my Japanese cars with dipsticks, awesome reliability and excellent resale value.

If only toyota made a 1 ton truck...........need one in a few months.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/images/parts/VW/fullsize/460121300.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/images/parts/VW/fullsize/460121300.jpg

Was Rube Goldberg German?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

and the Germans keep producing unreliable high maintenance cars with terrible depreciation.

I'll stick with my Japanese cars with dipsticks, awesome reliability and excellent resale value.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll keep my dipstick.

you mean the dipstick shaft in your toyota camry hasn't broken off and dropped into the engine -- yet?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/2065922-how-long-dipstick.html

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

you mean the dipstick shaft in your toyota camry hasn't broken off and dropped into the engine -- yet?

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll keep my dipstick.

ar-jedi

Drive a 2015 WRX 6 speed

Before that

2008 F350 Diesel dually 4x4

2004 Toyota Tundra

2002 Honda Civic

1st car Bought used :1991 Jeep Cherokee
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top