Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2015 9:44:41 PM EDT
After seeing several interpretations of homemade body armor, and trying to come up with a use for these cheap Level II panels I bought online, I decided to take a stab at making some homemade body armor.  

Not so sure the back-face signature would be a pass but I was happy at how it held up after taking a couple hits.  The steel acts like re-bar and keeps the rest of the ceramic from shattering.

For reference this plate is slightly lighter than the 10x12" shooters cut Level IV ceramic plate I got from AR500Armor.  Sorry this video is a little longer than I have been putting out but I tried to cram all the info into as small of a space as I could.  Subscribe or at least click the thumbs up plz.

Link for mobile/tablet users: http://youtu.be/jpjKKl19nzU
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Surprised that M193 did not blow through it after what your last test found.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah I was a little concerned, those porcelain floor tiles are apparently really effective.  I was told the ones labeled porcelain are better for this than the ones labeled ceramic.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#3]
.308 next?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#4]
This could be a cheap way to armor a vehicle in case a killdozer was not available
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

.308 next?
View Quote
Yes.

I'm not surprised.  That tile is similar to the stuff they use in the ceramic plates.

ETA: I was surprised at the second round though.  I would have figured the first round would turn the tile into dust.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah I was a little concerned, those porcelain floor tiles are apparently really effective.  I was told the ones labeled porcelain are better for this than the ones labeled ceramic.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

really? the last discussion on home made armor was grade 5 ceramic being the best
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I really want to see handguns shot at it
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool video, I never would have belived it.  Where did you get the expired L2 stuff from?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#9]
You want the Grade V. Two of them duct taped with crossing layers individually and then duct taped together is multihit handgun capable and usually will stop a .223 round or two.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#10]
That looks.....unpleasant to be shot wearing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, that was really cool.  Held up shockingly well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You want the Grade V. Two of them duct taped with crossing layers individually and then duct taped together is multihit handgun capable and usually will stop a .223 round or two.  
View Quote

This. Kind of. Looks like that first tile does most of the work. I'm going to do some experimenting. Here's my best results, but this was before I realized how cheaply we could get expired panels.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yes.

I'm not surprised.  That tile is similar to the stuff they use in the ceramic plates.  

ETA: I was surprised at the second round though.  I would have figured the first round would turn the tile into dust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

.308 next?
Yes.

Yeah that was more impressive to me than anything else.  If you feel this plate right now it is only damaged right around where the rounds went through.  The entire middle feels like an intact perfect tile.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Cool video, I never would have belived it.  Where did you get the expired L2 stuff from?
View Quote
Apex Gun Parts actually, they were clearancing them out but I have seen other places do the same.  I paid $25 for 3 of them.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
Correct.

I would mention that taking either of those rounds without the plate would be much less pleasant for the few seconds it took you to die.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Wow, that was really cool.  Held up shockingly well.
View Quote
Thanks!

I might send some handgun rounds at this one since it is already damaged.  I made two of them, I could use the other for a 308.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#17]
If it doesn't work you could always add a layer of tile.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I love these kinds of tests!
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#19]
In for data to turn my Cheverly into a map!
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If it doesn't work you could always add a layer of tile.
View Quote
True. I was actually really happy that this setup weighed less than a level 4 plate. I wouldn't want it to be stupid heavy.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Probably not going to beat commercial Level IV performance at lighter weight.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#22]
anyone know why that level 2 expires?  what makes it "expire able"
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

insurance reasons.  UV rays, moisture, permanent buckles/folds in the panels, etc., will degrade protection.  the powers that be decided that 5 years of daily hard use would be a safe time limit before getting new panels.  an aramid vest that is not abused will last indefinitely

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Think of the vest as an insurance policy in but in a physical form...
The manufacturer only insures the panels for a couple of years.  By insure, I mean they will pay out if they are penetrated by a round that was supposed to be stopped by their product.  otherwise, the agency pays out.  I have read of, and know of one person that has tested some way long expired panels with positive results.  From the manufacturer's perspective, it would be hard to stay in business if agencies just kept re-issuing old vests and only rarely bought a new one.  I know that sweat and other conditions can affect the lifespan but not as much as is claimed.  Either way, no one wants to get issued 5 a five year old vest that smells like a used rubber/gym sock so its a good thing to rotate them out.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The manufacturer only insures the panels for a couple of years.  By insure, I mean they will pay out if they are penetrated by a round that was supposed to be stopped by their product.  otherwise, the agency pays out.  I have read of, and know of one person that has tested some way long expired panels with positive results.  From the manufacturer's perspective, it would be hard to stay in business if agencies just kept re-issuing old vests and only rarely bought a new one.  I know that sweat and other conditions can affect the lifespan but not as much as is claimed.  Either way, no one wants to get issued 5 a five year old vest that smells like a used rubber/gym sock so its a good thing to rotate them out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep this.

I shot one that was like 20 years old with a round that way exceeded the rating and it stopped it just fine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

You must have that new armor with energy absorbing crumple zones.

ETA: Excellent way to spend your refund I might add.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're made of ground beef and butternut squash, which spoils over time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:53:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Butternut samsquanch

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:29:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Sasquatch nuts?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Mine isn't quite as nice, but it works.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#31]
aimfortheass.jpg
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top