Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2015 12:12:39 PM EDT
I don't want a gun safe.  Too big, too heavy, too expensive and if you move, it's difficult to move. It's also conspicuous and screams "Guns inside".

I need a lighter, cheaper alternative. While I don't expect it to sustain a determined attack, I want it to resist smash-grab-run attempts in a typical burglary that lasts all of 7 minutes.  I need something better than hiding the guns under a bed or in a closet. I also want it to be relatively inconspicuous.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Safe, or just keep hiding them under the bed.

Anything that can't be bolted down is a waste of money
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Hidden room...

What type of guns and how many do you have?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On-6-cu-ft-8-Gun-Key-Lock-Security-Cabinet-GCB-908-DS/203675974?cm_mmc=Shopping|Base&gclid=CKaIybjGh8QCFdU9gQodBEMAJQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

bolt that to some studs?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
WHat you want is a concealable wall box/safe that is made to fit in a cut out between the wall studs and that can be covered with a framed picture or painting, in the closet behind hanged clothes, a magnet mat painted the same color as your wall, or made to look like an electrical panel.
There are other furniture made with concealed compartments.

Or use your own ingenuity.  AC/Heat vent, concealed compartments in ???

Use google and your imagination.  Don't count on the "most thieves are in your house in under X minutes" as your basis to get/not get what you need.  Assume they have 2 hours.  If you live in the "city" or "hood" where FSA types come and go, and most burglaries happen by roaming crack heads, yes 7 min rule.  If you work 8 hrs a day and live in the burbs or country, a savy burglar will assume/know this.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hidden room...

View Quote

This is what I have.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I dislike the idea of a gunsafe also.  Too big, too heavy, takes up too much space.

I like the idea of a secure room in the house where the guns are located.  Maybe a steel door with a steel frame..Certainly won't be impenetrable, but considering most thieves are in and out of house in under ten minutes it might do the trick to prevent random smash and grabs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is what I have.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hidden room...

This is what I have.

I see nothing but white...
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Either get one of those modular safes that you put together such as a Snap Safe or Zanotti and that will at least take away your worries of moving it in the future.
Another suggestion is a Job Box.
This is what I keep my ammo locked away in.

Another thing you can do is line the inside sheetrock of a closet with cut to fit 3/4 inch plywood and change out the jamb to a reinforced jamb with a steel door with a high quality pair of deadbolt locks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hidden room...

This is what I have.

It works perfect doesn't it ?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Stack on security safe.  Put in closet, bolt securely to studs in wall with giant washers on the oversized bolts.  I have that in the closet for my day to day weapons, and the safe is long term storage.  The "smash and grab" guys will not get into that without tools and time.

Cheap and easy  

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hidden room...

This is what I have.

Absolutely!
Now where can I get me one of them?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#14]
[urlhttp://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=47605-42N§ion=42391&minisite=10251[/url]

They only come 42" tall, but if you remove some of the upper 2" knock outs and put in rubber grommets, the barrels on the longer rifles could fit through.  Add a cover of your choice (hinged, locked) and hide behind clothes or a picture.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I am also going through the same struggle... especially since I move a lot.

I have found that a safe offers some advantages in security that cannot be replicated elsewhere. A cheap stack-on safe is nice but very very easy to break into; therefor it does not matter if it is bolted to the ground or weighed down. I am still trying to figure out if there is a better solution out there. Best of luck to you!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#16]
One of the main reasons I have a safe is for fire protection. None of the alternatives mentioned will give you that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Internal carry. You figure out the logistics though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#18]
how about something like this?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPEEDI-GRILLE-20-in-x-20-in-White-Return-Air-Vent-Filter-Grille-with-Fixed-Blades-SG-2020-FG/202542265
Cut a hole in an inside wall and mount the grille.
Slide barrels of long guns up inside the wall, close vent and lop the tabs off the ends of the latches to make it more difficult for it to be opened by thieves/ unauthorized fingers.
Hides in plain sight.
When you move just buy another.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Hide it in the attic.
Or in crawl space, if you can handle the moisture issues.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Build one. 3/4 inch 5 stripe plywood from home depot works great. Obviously doesn't do shit for fire protection, but its solid stuff.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Snapsafe.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#22]
What about a decoy ?

Obvious stack on cabinet. A broken Hipoint or Jennings on the top shelf. A broken 22 rifle and few crappy BB guns in the bottom.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Get a free piano off of Craigslist and gut it.

Not many thieves are going to stop and play a tune while burglarizing your place.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#24]
False wall in closet?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#25]
German Shepard
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Stack on security safe.  Put in closet, bolt securely to studs in wall with giant washers on the oversized bolts.  I have that in the closet for my day to day weapons, and the safe is long term storage.  The "smash and grab" guys will not get into that without tools and time.  

View Quote

If they have any experience, they will break into such a gun cabinet with a crowbar in 15 minutes. Even less if they have a battery-powered saw.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Can I have an inventory of your guns and your address. You can pm me
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hide it in the attic.
Or in crawl space, if you can handle the moisture issues.
View Quote

On the opposite side of the joists or studs from the direction of entry
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Where's that headboard that stores a rifle?

ETA:  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/407294360022493550/
View Quote

Someone needs to out Joe Biden's face on that
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

False wall in closet?
View Quote
This works. Utility closet, like where the water heater/AC is with a decent lock on the door and a false wall made with pegboard with a shallow space behind it is easy. Hang some brooms and shit on the pegboard.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't want a gun safe.  Too big, too heavy, too expensive and if you move, it's difficult to move. It's also conspicuous and screams "Guns inside".

I need a lighter, cheaper alternative. While I don't expect it to sustain a determined attack, I want it to resist smash-grab-run attempts in a typical burglary that lasts all of 7 minutes.  I need something better than hiding the guns under a bed or in a closet. I also want it to be relatively inconspicuous.
View Quote

What do you mean, "Too Expensive"?  My 16 gun safe cost less than what most of the guns I keep in it are worth.  

Plus, safes offer more protection from other events than just theft.  Most safes are fire resistant so the guns (hopefully) won't go up in flames with the rest of the house.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#36]
One other condition -- no modifications to the walls, etc.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm with you.

Wish my home had a unused closet, I'd reinforce the frame, hang a solid wood door, put on a deadbolt, call 'er good.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#38]

This is promising. Something along these lines. Something high-end, a plastic chest trunk, lockable and discreet. Throw a table cloth on it and make it look like a coffee table.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hidden room...

View Quote

... and what's your address?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#40]
very big mean dogs
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I dislike the idea of a gunsafe also.  Too big, too heavy, takes up too much space.

I like the idea of a secure room in the house where the guns are located.  Maybe a steel door with a steel frame..Certainly won't be impenetrable, but considering most thieves are in and out of house in under ten minutes it might do the trick to prevent random smash and grabs.  
View Quote

A niece just bought a house in FL with a hardened closet.  Steel door that swings out with a deadbolt and concrete walls and ceiling.

While OP is probably not going to have the chance to build such a closet from scratch, an existing closet could be upgraded into secure storage.  Replacing the sheetrock inside a closet with two layers of concrete board and upgrading the door to a solid door with a deadbolt and reinforced frame would be very practical.  Adding additional wall studs during the process would add even more security along with replacing the door and frame with steel units.

If OP has an office or man cave, doing such a closet upgrade in one of those rooms makes having secure storage for his guns very do-able.  And he would have more storage space inside a normal closet than in most gun safes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

If they have any experience, they will break into such a gun cabinet with a crowbar in 15 minutes. Even less if they have a battery-powered saw.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He asked for an alternative to a safe, for the smash and grab crews.  15 minutes is not smash and grab.  With tools and time, a crew can break into just about anything.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a jobox. Painted it. Wife put wuilts and Gsy shit to coveri it up
Put it in a largish closet with many difficult approaches and turns.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:13:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This is what I have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hidden room...

This is what I have.

Yeah, I know.    
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:23:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Coolest gun safe i had that was in plain view, a old POP machine. Gutted it, kept the lock mechanism in it and that was it. had it in my rec. room.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:30:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Saw a old water heater gutted used before with false water lines,etc.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Saw a old water heater gutted used before with false water lines,etc.
View Quote

Great idea!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top