Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2015 9:19:50 AM EDT
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150330-where-nuclear-subs-go-to-die

Enjoy.  

Btw, don't tell the EPA what the Russians have done; their heads would surely explode.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#1]
This is something I've been interested in for a while.  The article barely scratches the surface, and I was somewhat annoyed to see Hanford and US disposal methods lumped in with what the Russians are doing, there really is NO comparison.  

They mention the Russians tearing down reactors at Mayak... More popular for years was merely dumping the reactors in the ocean.  They mention the comparatively well kept reactor holding at Vladivostok but don't mention the Lepse or the radiation count being read with the morning news in Murmansk.

And that doesn't even get into Mayak itself, probably the worst rad hazard on the planet and still an operational nuclear facility.

At first I thought the Bellona organization was akin to one of our American green weenie groups and there is a bit of that to them, but they're one of the few groups focusing on the terrible mess the Soviets left and the Russians keep shuffling from one side of the plate to the other.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen more in-depth writing in a Weekly Reader.

TC
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Yep, compared to:

But hey, let's lump that all in together and stroke the green weenie.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#7]
holy smoly
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#8]

#69 pushed me through the ocean for a short while...
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep, compared to:

http://russiatrek.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/russian-naval-graveyard-3.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep, compared to:

http://russiatrek.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/russian-naval-graveyard-3.jpg

Well, it was posted to BBC so presumably a Brit wrote the admittedly shallow article - primarily for a Brit audience!

Isn't today Thursday?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I love rusting abandoned cold war shit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I love rusting abandoned cold war shit.
View Quote

-then you will LOVE this archived picture thread of a rusting Russian boomer nuke boat (unbelievably crude construction even when new; but apparently they could do things right when needed; ie, space program, ICBMs etc.).

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1051951_.html

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone have a link to the archived thread on abandoned Russian aircraft oddities - including the "Black Sea Monster" plane/boat thing?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Dad was on 13.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Soviet/Russian disposal practices have been abysmal.  Especially with the reactor cores from mishap subs.  There are a number of reactor cores from mishap subs sitting in as little as 60-100 feet of water just a few miles off the northern coast of Norway.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Sigh..  I was on 24.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#18]
The Russians are doing the exact same thing with Nuclear subs as we are with International help, The encapsulate the reactor sections and store them in a secure area very much like the Hanford pictures above and scrap the rest of the sub. Frontline or somebody on PBS etc  had a show about it.

The vast majority of the rusty sinking junk subs are old diesel boats.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

#30 for me.

Weird seeing it reduced to just the RC
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

All well and good until one of those rockets decides to blow up on the lauch pad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Load them on rockets and send them into the sun.

All well and good until one of those rockets decides to blow up on the lauch pad.

Have them take off from a Pacific airstrip bellyslung underneath a mother aircraft.

When the aircraft reaches max altitude, launch the rocket.

Or we could just dump it in the Marianas Trench.  I'm totally fine with that.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Or we could just dump it in the Marianas Trench.  I'm totally fine with that.

View Quote

dilution is the solution!

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
All well and good until one of those rockets decides to blow up on the launch pad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Load them on rockets and send them into the sun.

All well and good until one of those rockets decides to blow up on the launch pad.

Problem solved. Problem staying solved.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Russians are doing the exact same thing with Nuclear subs as we are with International help, The encapsulate the reactor sections and store them in a secure area very much like the Hanford pictures above and scrap the rest of the sub. Frontline or somebody on PBS etc  had a show about it.

View Quote

They do what they can with our money when it comes in, but the rest of it just sits and rots. The money that does come in is a drop in the bucket. They only got the Lepse out of Murmansk harbor a few years back but it's still just sitting in a new harbor loaded to the gills with death.  The RTGs still litter the arctic coast, Mayak still operates.  The reactors they dumped in the ocean are still there.

Even if they quit doing dumbshit stuff with radiation now, they still have thousands of years of fun yet to enjoy from the mistakes of the past.  Nobody does rad disasters as a matter of course like the Russians do.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#24]
#35.  USS George Washington Carver, SSBN-656.  A good boat.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glad that the former USSR is not the environmental disaster I thought it was.

Sorry if I am not 100% convinced.  But I would like a link (if you have it) to the Frontline or PBS show you mentioned; this stuff is fascinating!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top