Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2015 12:48:57 PM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/11/knife-rights-movement-gets-switchblades-other-knife-laws-repealed-in-states/

Once overshadowed by the hot-button gun rights debate, laws restricting knife sales and possession are the new "second front" in the battle to preserve Second Amendment rights.

The issue has gained more attention in recent years -- most recently in Baltimore, where obscure knife laws have surfaced at the center of the Freddie Gray death case. Well before that case, though, the nonprofit advocacy group Knife Rights has been steadily working in state capitals across the country to roll back or repeal longstanding knife bans and restrictions.

And they've seen a string of successes.

“We’ve introduced the Second Amendment to a significant number of people who never considered it their amendment,” said Doug Ritter, who founded Knife Rights in Arizona in 2009.

The group argues that possessing and carrying any kind of blade is, as with guns, a right enshrined in the Constitution. They've deployed that argument to, so far, help 10 states wipe most -- if not all -- knife restrictions from the books. It also has successfully advocated for so-called preemption laws in eight states, blocking local jurisdictions from circumventing state law with their own, stricter regulations.  
View Quote

I’ve seen a lot of deadly attacks with knives and I think repealing all the laws and eliminating them would be ridiculous,” said Jack Rinchich, a retired Florida police chief who now serves as president of the National Association of Chiefs of Police. A Marine Corps veteran who spent 40 years in law enforcement, he is a staunch defender of the Second Amendment.  

However, “I do believe we need laws restricting certain types of knives, especially those that are designed to kill,” he told FoxNews.com. “I don’t think anyone should be walking down the street with a combat knife for any reason.”

Chief Sean Mannix, the Texas president of the chiefs’ association, agrees, saying that, “reasonable regulation is okay.”  
View Quote

WTF is a combat knife?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#1]
good
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/11/knife-rights-movement-gets-switchblades-other-knife-laws-repealed-in-states/

Once overshadowed by the hot-button gun rights debate, laws restricting knife sales and possession are the new "second front" in the battle to preserve Second Amendment rights.

The issue has gained more attention in recent years -- most recently in Baltimore, where obscure knife laws have surfaced at the center of the Freddie Gray death case. Well before that case, though, the nonprofit advocacy group Knife Rights has been steadily working in state capitals across the country to roll back or repeal longstanding knife bans and restrictions.

“We’ve introduced the Second Amendment to a significant number of people who never considered it their amendment,” said Doug Ritter, who founded Knife Rights in Arizona in 2009.

The group argues that possessing and carrying any kind of blade is, as with guns, a right enshrined in the Constitution. They've deployed that argument to, so far, help 10 states wipe most -- if not all -- knife restrictions from the books. It also has successfully advocated for so-called preemption laws in eight states, blocking local jurisdictions from circumventing state law with their own, stricter regulations.  
View Quote

I’ve seen a lot of deadly attacks with knives and I think repealing all the laws and eliminating them would be ridiculous,” said Jack Rinchich, a retired Florida police chief who now serves as president of the National Association of Chiefs of Police. A Marine Corps veteran who spent 40 years in law enforcement, he is a staunch defender of the Second Amendment.  

However, “I do believe we need laws restricting certain types of knives, especially those that are designed to kill,” he told FoxNews.com. “I don’t think anyone should be walking down the street with a combat knife for any reason.”

Chief Sean Mannix, the Texas president of the chiefs’ association, agrees, saying that, “reasonable regulation is okay.”  
View Quote

WTF is a combat knife?
View Quote

BULLSHIT!
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

WTF is a combat knife?
View Quote

According to the NYPD, any knife whatsoever.  Even Swiss Army knives are forbidden there.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#4]
A chefs knife will go thru you the same way so, what's the point of banning ANY knife?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't wait for the "assault knife" label and some liberals retarded list of features that make one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Godspeed!
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#7]
It's about time.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to Tennessee. We basically erased knife laws recently.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A chefs knife will go thru you the same way so, what's the point of banning ANY knife?
View Quote

This. I bet that a majority of knife attacks / homicides are committed with kitchen knives instead of "combat knives".
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
WTF is a combat knife?
View Quote

That's simple.

Just ask any ten-year-old boy to draw you a picture of one.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
WTF is a combat knife?
View Quote

Duh - it's even in the name.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

WTF is a combat knife?
View Quote

I'd suspect any knife that doesn't look like either a swiss army knife or a stag-handled jack knife.

These fuckers can eat shit and die.   The whole "Oh, I support your rights, but only if I can determine how and when you actually exercise them" mentality is 90% of what is wrong with this country today.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This. I bet that a majority of knife attacks / homicides are committed with kitchen knives instead of "combat knives".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

I hope they get them all erased , but regardless of the laws , I still will only carry a traditional folder for reliability and strength's sake . If it was legal , I might consider an auto as a stowaway- boot knife , but never as a sole or primary blade.

Just my own personal view on autos.

ETA: ...and if for whatever the reason that I was running out the door for a knife fight , where again , for whatever reason, I couldnt grab a gun , I would probably grab my huge kitchen butchers blade or a machete

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Just double the fines for carrying a switchblade knife "with the intent to employ it during commission of a dangerous felony."  

We did that in TN and suddenly the sheriff's association dropped their opposition.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's the liberal mentality.

A hundred year old lever action 30-30 will kill you just as dead as a brand new AR.   Why is one universally feared and attacked by the left, and the other largely left alone?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Good.

Now, actual effort needs to be put forth to protect energy-based small arms from being restricted by agencies such as the FDA. No one seems to want to address this issue, and it will become a very serious hindrance to the 2nd amendment in the near future. We are only a few generations of battery technology away from powder actuated arms being extinct.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

WTF is a combat knife?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#19]
NH recently repealed its auto ban. No blood in the streets there yet.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

WTF is a combat knife?
View Quote

Pretty much this.  Who is this person to arbitrarily decide what is and isn't a "combat" knife.  A hunting knife can fuck someone up just as easily.   Or, is it not as dangerous because it doesn't have a "blood groove"?  

Switchblade laws are also retarded given that most knives can be opened nearly as quickly, if not more so.  Tell someone with a wave opener on their knife that your switch blade is "quicker".  Not likely.  I would love it if Virginia would move in this direction, although unlikely with the current governor in office.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#21]
In IL we have CCL with statewide preemption.  Which of course means I can walk down

any street in Chicago with a concealed loaded firearm and there's not a damn thing the

Chicago PD can do about it........but if I have a knife with a blade longer than 2.5" I could

be arrested.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#22]
A combat knife is any knife authority figs. don't like the looks of.

I want a switchblade bayonet.  You actuate the button and an M4 flips out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Wondering about the unintended consequences of broadening the definition of "arms" to include things other than firearms -

If knives are ruled to fall under the same constitutional protection as firearms, then can they also be restricted and regulated the same as firearms?

How soon until the BATFE's authority to regulate "arms" is expanded to also include knives, bows and crossbows, baseball bats, lead pipes and pointy fingers?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#24]
In Holland we really have got a list of 'EVIL' features for knives.

-Hand guard
-Saw tooth edge.
-Double edge.
etc.

Something like this can get you a felony for possession in the home because of said evil features

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#25]
It's retarded that I can carry loaded gun, but a little knife with a spring in it will get me arrested.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#26]
No! Pointy bits of metal! Why does no one think of the children!?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Wondering about the unintended consequences of broadening the definition of "arms" to include things other than firearms -

If knives are ruled to fall under the same constitutional protection as firearms, then can they also be restricted and regulated the same as firearms?

How soon until the BATFE's authority to regulate "arms" is expanded to also include knives, bows and crossbows, baseball bats, lead pipes and pointy fingers?
View Quote
As opposed to now, where they enjoy no protections whatsoever?

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#28]
NY dems tried to make NY's knife laws less onerous after a rash of stories about poor minorities going to prison over assisted opening knives. The republicans killed it. It was bizzaro world in Albany for a while.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

NY dems tried to make NY's knife laws less onerous after a rash of stories about poor minorities going to prison over assisted opening knives. The republicans killed it. It was bizzaro world in Albany for a while.
View Quote
Why? Republicans oppose freedom all the time when it comes to social issues.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I think we need to control the language.  Stop calling it a switchblade.  We need a more gentle name for these types of knives.

"Automatic" may also bear some negative connotation...but "Automated" isn't nearly as bad.
Or how about "Springy Knives"?
Flipper
Mover
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I just... *sigh* combat knives? UNFUCK YOUR HEAD AMERICA.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#32]
It is illegal to possess (class 4 misdemeanor) and also illegal to carry a switchblade (class 1 misdemeanor) in the Commonwealth.

Personally, I think that they should be legal to own and carry without restriction.

I can open my folder just as fast anyways.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
good
View Quote

But... teenagers with duck's ass haircuts will stab each other with switchblades
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
good

FPNI
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Saw a guy OC a Kabar yesterday, only thing that came to my mind was that he was an idiot for not wearing a helmet while riding a Harley in a town where the average age is 79....
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#39]
It's all because of.....

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Let me know when my 3.6" ZT folder clipped to my pocket won't put me in jail.

Currently I can conceal a 12" barrel AR pistol and all would be swell, but the 3.6" dangerous weapon (3.5 limit) is a no no!
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#41]
AR made auto knives legal a few years ago.
I carry a benchmade 3550 every day.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#42]

FJR
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#43]
19 hijackers comandeered  3 commercial planes with boxcutters.
your proposal is beyond stupid.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

WTF is a combat knife?
View Quote

Where are those things still illegal anyways? Well other than the commie states.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Where are those things still illegal anyways? Well other than the commie states.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF is a combat knife?

Matefrio got arrested at the capitol building in Austin for carrying a statutorily defined "illegal knife"  (blade length too long) a few years ago.   Even though there's an exemption for it written into the CHL statute.   Prosecutor dropped the charges.

Blatant unlawful arrest.  Nothing ever came of it, tho.   Not one of the cops was disciplined in any way, so far as I know.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

WTF is a combat knife?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Right on.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#48]
While we're at it, we really need to outlaw combat bricks.

Then it's on to combat fists and combat kicks. I've seen some awful head stomps on World Star, we really need to outlaw feet. Nobody should be walking down the street with the ability to head stomp someone, hell, nobody should be walking period, it's just too dangerous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top