Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/12/2015 11:04:23 AM EDT
Don't care for the knick knacks that most shops have, but have a love for industrial and advertising pieces.

A few things I like:

Kodak 3A 1911

Tobacco tins

Diehl 3 speed fan

Alcohol and gasoline torches

Trunk that I'm using as a coffee table.

Arcade Crystal No. 3 coffee mill currently in resto.

Unused oil canvas advertisement. Came from the great grandson of the guy who came up with the idea. Only one known in existence.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#1]
the old stuff just has a style about it
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool stuff...mostly have old documents signed by notables.

But do have an Excelsior Travel Trunk...small 30in model, very rare size. Wood slat trunk, from around 1880.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a trunk for a coffee table too.

I have a small collection of hand tools and oil lamps.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorta young and I also love antiques.  I use a 1950s vacuum brewer to make coffee every day.  I have an antique hand grinder too.  When I'm in a place I won't have to move from every few years I'll be getting a lot more cool antiques.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I really like that trunk.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't have any, but I get the draw to them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm an antique tool junkie.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks cool to me!
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm an antique tool junkie.
View Quote

My garage is almost full.  And parts of the living room too.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Used to love to collect old stuff like that.

Then one day, realized a lot of things I'd bought new now qualified as antiques.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#13]
My house is an antique and I'm trying to keep the exterior and landscaping period-correct to 1916 (within reason).  Clover lawn, plants that were popular then, removed the Comcast box...the US flag is the updated version though.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I drove over 200 miles yesterday with  my wife, to go through a large antique mall...didn't spend much on this trip.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I knew a young guy who was into antiques in an apartment building I lived in. He asked me out. Good looking guy so at least there was that
View Quote

How long did you two date?

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice collection. Wife and I hit the flea market/antique circuit every couple months. I'm usually on the lookout for tools while she's looking at artwork.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Does your boyfriend/husband love them as well?
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#18]
All my antiques shoot projectiles.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like you're well on your way to stocking a fabulous B&B.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#20]
My idea of an antique store differs greatly from reality.  I always in vision suits of armor and cobwebs, but it's always country bumpkin crap. I want something straight out of a Steven King novel.  You have cool stuff btw.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 antique fans, most with brass blades and brass cages., Oldest one is an Emerson from 1908 . Still runs.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I have and use lots of old woodworking tools.
Stanley bedrock planes, disston hand saws, vises, hammers, calipers and compasses, wooden molding planes, etc.  i do have lots of modern power tools, but sometimes it is nicer to use hand tools as they mostly make shavings, not lots of dust and fine chips, are quiet, and usually safer.  And lots of tasks can be done quickly and easily with out having to build jigs, or lots of setup time. I do not take it to extremes like some guys do.  The table saw and jointer and planer do the work that would have once been done by hand by the shop's apprentice.
Have some furniture, mostly handed down.  Have a few cameras, that were war booty from a great uncle during WWII.

And that is a neat looking fan, OP.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 antique fans, most with brass blades and brass cages., Oldest one is an Emerson from 1908 . Still runs.
View Quote

I love old fans. I have an old emerson that need at least a rewire -possibly a rewrap- that I picked up for $10 bucks at an estate sale. It may be the next project I tackle.

Quoted:
My house is an antique and I'm trying to keep the exterior and landscaping period-correct to 1916 (within reason).  Clover lawn, plants that were popular then, removed the Comcast box...the US flag is the updated version though.
View Quote

You should take pictures and start a thread. I love old homes with a lot of wood, lead glass, and built in buffets.

Let me guess, over timeline and over budget?
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I like things from the mechanical era because you can see and understand how they work.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#25]
everything new right now will be an antique years later.  Start saving it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Are you on the guest list of BigPony's wedding?
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a few old cameras, a really old Iron and was supposed to get the same fan you have from my grandmother's estate.
But one of my cousins wound up with it.

I also have a thing for old transistor radios, have like 3-4 of them around here.

My parents have the exact same coffee grinder as you, with the glass intact. It was in daily use until they got their Kuerig a year or two ago.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a small trunk my great great grandparents brought over from Holland. It's beat to hell but I cherish it. I also have a cedar chest made in 41. Has the original tag inside. I'm surprised my children haven't completely ruined it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Love antiques. No pictures but off the top of my head its a hodgepodge of stuff. Lionel trains, railroad lanterns, a carbide cannon and I have this disease with old Coleman stuff. 60s and 70s three burner stoves are my favorite.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I clicked this hoping it was a GILF thread.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice! My obsession is restoring old radios:

American Bosch, early '30s. Still looking for correct knobs

Sentinel battery powered, late '30s. The device beside it is a home made power supply.

Philco shortwave, 1941
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Yep, I've loved antiques for quite a while. Starting in my mid 20s, I started collecting.  Now most of the furnishings in our house are mid 1700s to 1800s (except the couches).  There's no other way you can find 1 board chests of 3/4" oak or solid cherry dining room tables for $1500 bucks.  And they're 2-300 years old - how awesome is that?

Got a number of oil lamps discreetly converted to electric (still usable with kerosene though!) that are hanging and attached throughout the house. Just picked up some really neat 1850-60s silverware.

We have a couple old fans but i'm looking for a 1910-1920s brass blade/ brass cage fan.  Finding one to fix up for a decent price is damn near impossible.  I'll probably end up just buying one from a pro-restorer :(.

It's hard to find the really nice antique stores for things like tables etc.  sometimes we get lucky and find nice pieces in antique malls and stuff, but too many of the things there are way overpriced for the condition. Still have to go look though - never know what you'll find!

I absolutely love the history of antiques - how many families has this 1750s dining room table served?  Or how many moves has this early 1800s german immigrant truck moved?  Built in Germany for a family to put all their belongings in - then it makes it way to my living room.  I love solid wood furniture and quite frankly, antiques can be cheaper than most of that new shit you find at furniture stores. You just have to know what you're looking for how to recognize good carpentry.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

American Bosch, early '30s. Still looking for correct knobs
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=73176

Sentinel battery powered, late '30s. The device beside it is a home made power supply.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=73411

Philco shortwave, 1941
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=74261
View Quote

This is what I'm talking about. Nice radios!

I've wanted one for a while, but me and electronics aren't that great of friends.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You should take pictures and start a thread. I love old homes with a lot of wood, lead glass, and built in buffets.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, the only way I can get a lot of the work done is to do it myself.  The industry geared towards renovation is for people with deep pockets.  I had to get rid of my lead glass windows, they had been painted multiple times and were so warped I couldn't open most of them.  It's the part of buying an old house for not a lot of money that sucks...if it doesn't cost a lot it's because it wasn't well taken care of.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

LOL, the only way I can get a lot of the work done is to do it myself.  The industry geared towards renovation is for people with deep pockets.  I had to get rid of my lead glass windows, they had been painted multiple times and were so warped I couldn't open most of them.  It's the part of buying an old house for not a lot of money that sucks...if it doesn't cost a lot it's because it wasn't well taken care of.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So cool. Show us pictures!!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice collection. Tasteful.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I love old technology.  I'd like to get a hand pump among other things.  They work in a blackout.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Don't care for the knick knacks that most shops have, but have a love for industrial and advertising pieces.

A few things I like:

Kodak 3A 1911
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa63/GAZ32/0BD94868-B85A-4245-9254-7313B0E67810_zpswtqccfk7.jpg
View Quote

Thats badass!  I have 2 vintage Polaroids and a Kodak brownie.  Love old cameras and mechanical things like that!

Untitled by Shift_Six, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#39]
my grandma had a old finger chopper antique fan it was fascinating as a kid you could feed that thing anything and it would cut right through it

I restored one just to have around
have lots of random antiques not many for show
I use them all
my absolute favorite is a climax cheese grater
its the kind that clamps down to a table top
I restored it and use it to grate laundry soap bars
it turned a really sucky job into a very quick job

ETA: found a pic of my climax
yep thats pretty close to the original color
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I R 1
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

A buddy of mine bought a beautiful Tudor fixer upper outside of KC. He got it for $35K.

After having to lift the house up to put a new foundation, rewiring and replumbing, and redoing everything to the period, he sunk quite a bit more money into it.

He won't tell me, but I bet it's close to $200K. Most of the work was done by him.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I have one room where mine are confined.  An antique Chifferobe, a Duncan Phyfe bedside table, and a batwing mirrored dresser.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#43]
anything mid century.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Cool shit.

But I'd never plug that fan in. I'd be too afraid I'd burn my house down.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I knew a young guy who was into antiques in an apartment building I lived in. He asked me out. Good looking guy so at least there was that
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I like antique... guns. And militaria, too, so there's that.

My wife likes antique sewing machines, she bought a Singer Model 66 over the weekend.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Philco shortwave, 1941
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=74261
View Quote

Very nice, Frank! I'll bet the original escutcheon on that Philco was cracked.

I used to have over 100 sets in my collection, I've whittled it down to 15 or so now. Several of those are vintage communications receivers, and working on those is good for the muscles but bad for the eyes!
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#48]
When your 60 youre going to be like those people on American Pickers
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://1dad1kid.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/gay.jpg

I was going to ask OP if he went antiquing with his husband.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh, wonder why he thought you were gay.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top