Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
There is one about 2 minutes down the road from me.  It is all flatland, no mountains, but I'm guessing you can see pretty far.  It is right next to one of the SC Forestry Commission Offices.  Looks like SC still runs a bunch of the towers.  

Here is a list of some of the eastern states - doesn't have pics or links, but doesn't list the area.  

http://easternuslookouts.weebly.com/
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The Forrest Service usually takes bids for fire lookouts each year. Low bid gets it if qualified.

I bid several times on the Payette National Forrest in Idaho, but got underbid every time.

Here's one of the lookouts I bid on. Sheep Mountain in the Frank Church Wilderness on the Salmon River Breaks. Been there numerous times guiding Elk hunts. It's as useful for spotting Elk as it is for spotting fires.

....and, yup....lightning is a concern.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I climbed to the top of one here in Colorado a couple years ago with a fellow ARFcommer.

Devil's Head Fire Lookout

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Now there's a retreat worthy of the zombie apocalypse.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been wanting one ... sorta like having an old train caboose.

Then go here ??

http://www.firelookout.org/lookouts-for-sale.html

I would think that buying one of the taller range towers they're still making for military firearms ranges would get you the same result.
Some of the taller ones at Drum are every bit as effective as the stuff being posted here
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Some great pics and posts in this thread!
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd love to have that job. I'd dang near pay them to let me do it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I've gone to this one dozens of times.  It doubles as a wether station.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd love to have that job. I'd dang near pay them to let me do it.
View Quote

I'd definatley volunteer my services for free if I was retired or independantly wealthy!
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I did, and discovered there are two in Illinois:

Yay Illannoys. Again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is quite a few of them in California,   ( you can click home and find the ones in your state ),  http://www.nhlr.org/lookouts/StateList.aspx?state=CA.

I did, and discovered there are two in Illinois:

The Illinois Department of Conservation once had a network of 10 fire towers across the state, and the U.S. Forest Service had an additional 7 in the Shawnee National Forest. All of the federal towers are gone and only two state towers remain. Big River Lookout is located on the eastern bluffs along the Mississippi River within the Big River State Forest. The 60’ steel tower with 7’x7’ cab was constructed in 1941.

Yay Illannoys. Again.

I don't know why the one in OP is not listed. Its in east central IL (40.013994, -87.551924)
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Had my first kiss at the top of one of them.  
View Quote

I know, I was there.  I remember it like it was yesterday...

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://i57.tinypic.com/29ynm20.jpg

This one (not my pic) is an old defunct fire watch tower that has been open to the public for several years now at the county preserve. We climbed up it again today. The windows and door are gone, its all open element now. Pretty cool to think somebody at one time sat up there just looking for fires. Must have gotten pretty boring after a while though.
View Quote

That was my dad's first job out of high school "Forest Fire Observer" working for NYS at the Minnewaska tower.  He has some pretty crazy stories.  Hell of a good time if you liked hunting.  He used to turn his old beagle out and she would chase rabbits under the tower and he would pop them with a .22.  He said his boss always knew when he got a rabbit because he would call in on the radio that he was off watch while he went down to grab the rabbit.

This is him and my daughters at the ADK museum in the Tower they have on site.    

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My brothers in I did the same in the mid-late 90s. For the life of me I cant remember where it was.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hiked to one years ago in the Catskill Mountains of NYS with the intent of climbing it, but once I saw its condition I quickly changed my thinking.

My brothers in I did the same in the mid-late 90s. For the life of me I cant remember where it was.

Minnewaska or Hunter Mountain is it was a tall one.  If it was a shorty it was one of the ones in ADK.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#15]
apparently the whole area around Devil's Head got hit by a tornado or super cell the other day... tower and trail is closed

http://kdvr.com/2015/07/22/wind-damage-closes-devils-head-fire-tower-popular-campground/
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
apparently the whole area around Devil's Head got hit by a tornado or super cell the other day... tower and trail is closed

http://kdvr.com/2015/07/22/wind-damage-closes-devils-head-fire-tower-popular-campground/
View Quote

bummer
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top