Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2015 10:32:45 PM EDT
Is it worth turning on?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm using W10 on a desktop, I have no use for it - it remains turned off on my machine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a program that accesses all your web searches, habits and contacts so it can "learn about you" in order to "help you out". Plus it is listening to your microphone, all the time.

What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a program that accesses all your web searches, habits and contacts so it can "learn about you" in order to "help you out". Plus it is listening to your microphone, all the time.

What could go wrong?
View Quote

Doesn't that happen on your cell phone anyways?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What could go wrong?

If you let it, same as Win10. I don't use Siri or any of that crap.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried it a couple times when it was in beta but other than the novelty, it didn't do much for me. Of course I live a pretty boring life. Maybe someone with a busier schedule would find it useful.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Cortana:

I vote "ON"
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#7]

I'm using W10 on a desktop, I have no use for it - it remains turned off on my machine.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#8]
more useless "search" bullshit thats merely a resource and privacy destroying crapware
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Off for me.
Much as Microsoft would like you to believe, I'm not convinced voice is the most effective way to interact with a computer.  I don't wanna have to listen to you sending emails, and I'm not that thrilled about you hearing me doing it either.

For specific applications, maybe.  I think it's a short list though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Off for me.
Much as Microsoft would like you to believe, I'm not convinced voice is the most effective way to interact with a computer.  I don't wanna have to listen to you sending emails, and I'm not that thrilled about you hearing me doing it either.

For specific applications, maybe.  I think it's a short list though.
View Quote

It's like the designers never had to sit in a cube farm with some asshole who only listens to his voice mail on speakerphone.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Off for me.
Much as Microsoft would like you to believe, I'm not convinced voice is the most effective way to interact with a computer.  
View Quote

Apple has Siri.  Microsoft says, "me too!"

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Off. Cortana rates right up they're with Siri. Useless.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Cross reference responses in this thread to the Amazon Echo thread(s).
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Can't use it unless you log on with your Microsoft account.  I prefer to use a Local account because the whole family uses the PC.

Tried Cortana out for about 10 minutes. Almost worthless.  Doubt I'll put it on again.

"Answered" most of my questions by sending me to a Bing search. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:20:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I enjoy the voice commands on the xbone

Not going to use it on my computer though
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I just tried to have Cortana play a song from my itunes and she sent me to a bing search.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I had to look for it.   Is it turned on automatically?  I went to 10 yesterday and haven't noticed anything about Cortana.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had to look for it.   Is it turned on automatically?  I went to 10 yesterday and haven't noticed anything about Cortana.
View Quote

Click in the search bar, hit the 'gear' for settings, and they're right there. Probably disabled if you're using a local account.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
It is "OFF" by default, if you want to use her you have to turn her on.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Turn it OFF.... It's useless!  
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#24]
only if looks like this

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Just started the rollback to Windows 8.1 on my Surface.

Set it to "sleep" when I went to bed and woke up with it red hot and battery drained.  Not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but 10 has nothing new that I care about anyway, so Goodbye!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Too many damn privacy concerns with windows 10.

Disable all the shared settings you can, and do not use a microsoft account if you can use a local account.

The agreement gives them access to your files, and they can pass them along to "law enforcement" any time they want without notifying you.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Rollback to 8.1 took only 5 minutes.

Everything is just as I left it, no data loss.  Sweet.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#28]
My laptop won't support windows 10. Says BIOS not compatible. Oh well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Are you running the latest version of your BIOS?

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

See if there is an update to your BIOS from either the motherboard manufacturer or the PC maker. Was able to update an 9 year old PC to Windows 10 with BIOS that hasn't been updated since 2010 (no newer updates).
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

See if there is an update to your BIOS from either the motherboard manufacturer or the PC maker. Was able to update an 9 year old PC to Windows 10 with BIOS that hasn't been updated since 2010 (no newer updates).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll check it out when I get home. Should I just check Dell's website for the update?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'll check it out when I get home. Should I just check Dell's website for the update?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.Check Dell's support site. They'll have the BIOS updates, if any, there. Also check if they have a notice or webpage for your laptop (or in general) that indicates any potential issues with upgrading to Windows 10 and if any additional drivers or software may need to be installed or updated.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes.Check Dell's support site. They'll have the BIOS updates, if any, there. Also check if they have a notice or webpage for your laptop (or in general) that indicates any potential issues with upgrading to Windows 10 and if any additional drivers or software may need to be installed or updated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I know there have been 87 threads about windows 10, but for a straight forward answer, is it worth it to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10?

One other silly question, will i have to buy Microsoft office again?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thanks. I know there have been 87 threads about windows 10, but for a straight forward answer, is it worth it to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10?

One other silly question, will i have to buy Microsoft office again?
View Quote

The is it worth it to upgrade is an entirely subjective question.

Some will say if it ain't broke don't fix it. I upgraded one PC just to play with Windows 10, haven't decided if I'll update my second main PC yet. Overall Windows 10 is fine. Just understand that some things have been moved around or are done slightly differently than with prior versions of Windows. And understand that Microsoft is getting into the data gathering business of which Cortana is just one part, on its users with Windows 10 in a big way. Yes you can disable most of it but that data gathering is still going on to some extend, its much the same with free email, smartphones/tablets anyhow. One cannot get away from the data harvesting that is going on around them. Basically, in my personal opinion, Windows 10 has the feel of a tablet or smartphone interface which is the general way the entire computing industry and usage is moving anyhow. So far no problems with Office 2010 on Windows 10. Supposedly Windows 10 supports Office 2007 and newer.

And yes there have been a bunch of Windows 10 threads, here are a few that have some good nuggets information buried in them:
Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out
Windows 10
Windows 10 facts and myths(FAQ & Links inside)
Standing in line for Windows 10!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top