BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The kiln gun shells cannot be reloaded to use in a standard 8ga without modifiying the case.

Look at the picture of the 8ga industrial shell below, it has an extra ring of brass above the rim.  This is a safety measure to make sure an industrial shell will not fit in a standard 8 ga chamber.

http://www.armoryblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Shotshell-Comparison.jpg

You need to either cut the extra brass off, or make a special sizer to swage it down.
View Quote

The article I read said that the extra brass ring easily swaged down to regular 8 gauge size. The author was in Australia and hunted rabbits with his. Said it would completely ruin the meat if the shot was taken under 50 yards!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#2]
So what does a consumer grade 8GA look like? What's different about it from the Kiln cartridges? Pressure?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That would make a perfect SBS

Too small, 4 gauge FTW

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md3jx3sX3x1rwjpnyo1_1280.jpg

Still too small!!!

3 gauge FTW

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Remington Master Blaster

Anybody else notice the kiln guns are suppressed?

How do they get around barrel length, suppressed, in an industrial environment?
View Quote

There was a Remington kiln gun in a crate at one of my customer sites.  Barrel had a shroud, not a suppressor.

Barrel was plenty long.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The article I read said that the extra brass ring easily swaged down to regular 8 gauge size. The author was in Australia and hunted rabbits with his. Said it would completely ruin the meat if the shot was taken under 50 yards!
View Quote

Swaged or peeled.  Either will work.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So what does a consumer grade 8GA look like? What's different about it from the Kiln cartridges? Pressure?
View Quote

Yes.  Much higher pressure.

I had a box of Winchester kiln gun shells at one point.  Per the information on the box, 2 oz slug at 1800fps IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  Remington Master Blaster

View Quote

Pay the $200 tax?  My question is what do they do in non-suppressor states?  Or is there an exemption in those states for industrial suppressors?  And if there is...  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Pay the $200 tax?  My question is what do they do in non-suppressor states?  Or is there an exemption in those states for industrial suppressors?  And if there is...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It is also my understanding that Winchester and Remington, the only remaining makers of kiln guns, do NOT sell them.

As a power plant or kiln operator, if you buy your ammunition from them, they supply the guns.   If you switch manufacturers or go out of business, the guns are returned.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Simple, neither the kiln gun, nor it's suppressor is regulated by the NFA, GCA or similar worded state laws.

(3)
The term “firearm” means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive

A kiln gun is a industrial tool, not a weapon therefore it is not regulated

(C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer;

We have already established a kiln gun is not a firearm, therefore a kiln gun silencer/muffler is no different than an engine or other equipment muffler.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Eta. Nm. I see
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Eta. Nm. I see
View Quote

Read the thread you must. Find out, you will.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  Exactly, you take a kiln gun home with you, regardless of the provenance, and you don't own a kiln or have some other reasonable industrial use for it, and it's now a "weapon".
View Quote

What if I'm raising quail?  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top