Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/4/2015 7:04:25 AM EDT
They are getting better with their quality, but you still have to be careful.

My brother and I went in to get a bench grinder. The display showed a bunch of fairly nice, stout grinders, with cast metal casings. We opened one box, with the same stock number as the display, and found a very cheap grinder, with a sheet metal casing and a smaller motor than on the display. Looked like a bait-and-switch situation so we bailed.

Still... if you can see what you are actually getting (i.e. unpackaged tools) you can get some fairly good stuff there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Never been in that store. I don't get the fascination with it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
You can get a circular saw for 10 dollars.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's got a wide variety of cheap and inexpensive (not the same) tools. Their gas-powered generators get good reviews, and they offer a 1- or 2-year warranty on them: bring it in and they'll swap 'em out.

But like I said, they apparently do have a bait-and-switch technique on some of their tools; in other words, what you get from the box is significantly lower quality than what you see on the display.

Open the box and see what you're getting before you buy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#5]
HF was a godsend during the AK building craze.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#6]
The only time I frequent Harbor Freight is when I need a tool that I know I'm going to destroy within it's first use and need a cheap tool I don't care about. Aside from that, Harbor Freight sucks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it possible the model got an improvement
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't even walk in there anymore since they decided they don't welcome customers who are carrying.  They don't want our business.  Fuck em.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm at about 50/50 with them so far. Half turn out to be great deals that last forever. The other half last barely a season of moderate fabrication use.

Lasting stuff;
CO2 tanks
Welder cart
Drill press
Multiple vices
Cold chisels
Multiple bench grinders
Angle grinders

Non lasting stuff;
Drill bits
Electric drills
Perishable cutting/finding wheels
Presses of all sizes
Tube notcher
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Lots of the coupons have shorter time frames now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#13]

My moron lamp came with bulbs, while the display had LEDs.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The only time I frequent Harbor Freight is when I need a tool that I know I'm going to destroy within it's first use and need a cheap tool I don't care about. Aside from that, Harbor Freight sucks.
View Quote

For the most part they do. But my FIL has started purchasing some items from HF for his farm needs. He is extremely frugal on his purchases and will not waste money on crap products.
You have to be careful what you buy from HF.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heck yea. A HF press and spot welder me and a buddy bought there did a lot of work in those days. He has the press and I have the spot welder and both still work perfectly and have been used for other non-gun projects as well.

HF has a lot of decent stuff really. Stuff I've bought there that gets used a lot for gun cleaning are nitrile gloves, 1" chip brushes, 1/2" shop brushes, red shop towels,etc. Stuff like their small/medium ratcheting clamps, magnetic tool holders, tiny 3" bench grinder/polisher, transfer bar set, etc. have been used on various projects as well. People on this site like to put down anything that doesn't cost 4 times the price. Thing is I've seen some of the same power tools at various big name tool stores that are just re-branded and cost twice as much.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't buy power tools there aside from angle grinders and I have never been disappointed with my purchase. Picked up a set of metric and standard 1/2" impact sockets during their sidewalk sale a few weeks ago for set cheap. I think I paid like $40 for both sets and they are good products for my needs. Their ratchets are better than and store bought ratchets now a days, second only to tool truck purchases.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

For the most part they do. But my FIL has started purchasing some items from HF for his farm needs. He is extremely frugal on his purchases and will not waste money on crap products.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Here's one for the haters of everything. Yugo UF made with a "dark and dirty bore" parts kit that is accurate, 100% reliable and made with some HF tools.

Let the GD raging haters begin.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been debating buying one of these table top belt sanders.  There is currently a coupon which makes them $60.
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/woodworking/4-inch-x-36-inch-belt-6-inch-disc-sander-97181.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They back peddled that one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't even walk in there anymore since they decided they don't welcome customers who are carrying.  They don't want our business.  Fuck em.

They back peddled that one.

I hadn't heard about the reversal. A quick Google search didn't turn up anything. Do you have any links where I can find more info?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Fortunately HF is too far away for me, won't go out of my way to go there.  I have a Northern Tools just a few miles away and go there first if I need tools or anything
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've been debating buying one of these table top belt sanders.  There is currently a coupon which makes them $60.
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/woodworking/4-inch-x-36-inch-belt-6-inch-disc-sander-97181.html
View Quote

I have one that's been used quite a bit. Works great!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Got a 10" tile saw from them about a month ago. Thing works like magic, a real great buy.
I was in Lowe's getting tile and spotted an almost identical saw for about twice the price.  For the use I put on it, the better value for me is with HF.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

They sell tons of specialty tools and gadgets you can't find at any othe store aside from Northern Tool.  Albeit they're Chinese copies of the real thing that costs 10 times more but it's better than nothing for the price.  

Example -- good luck trying to find a slide hammer blind hole bearing puller at Sears.  For $40 to boot.  That's a $300 tool if bought from a professional tool maker.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#24]
HF has come a long way.  You just have to know what to buy and what not to buy.   The reviews can help with that.   When i was remodeling my house i picked up their airless paint sprayer for $175.  Works every bit as good as the $500 name brand unit at Home Depot and uses standard size spray nozzels, hoses, etc...    worth every penny and then some.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fortunately HF is too far away for me, won't go out of my way to go there.  I have a Northern Tools just a few miles away and go there first if I need tools or anything
View Quote

We have both.  Northern tool sells the exact same stuff.  Probably comes off the same boat from the same factories.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes indeed. I would never use their tools.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tru dat.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#29]
There is good and bad there and it is usually pretty obvious which is which.

Drill bits and air compressor stuff has been junk across the board for me, no big surprise there. Ditto all hand tools

A few winners are:

Motorcycle lift
Metal cutting circular saw - I bought this hoping it would just survive one job.  It just takes a beating and asks for more.  I have been very hard on this tool so if it dies, no complaints
Expansion type HVLP spray gun set.  Works like a champ.  The detail gun is great for duracoat and the larger one works well for larger jobs.  I've duracoated several guns to good effect and repainted a utility trailer last winter
Nitrile gloves, extension cords etc.  
Electric impact wrench - I put this on a service truck at work and it has been absolutely abused.  Still works like new even if the forward and reverse mechanism is a stupid design.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a real simple concept.

For example: I needed to remove a 125mm nut and the only thing my snap-on guy had was a $600 socket made for a tank.

Harbour Freight to the rescue $40 for a giant ass adjustable wrench, worked like a charm. Got that sucker hanging on my wall as a conversation piece.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. There is a shit load of junk but sprinkled in are some real gems.

Most of the handtools will last the typical weekend warrior a lifetime. Some of the power tools are a deal as well. I have one of the angle grinders. I have abused the hell out of it and it keeps working. Cost $9. I also got one of the small buffers to put paper wheels on for knife sharpening. It was like $30something. I also have a little flux core wire welder. Was 99 bucks I think. Works fine for a hack like me that can barely weld. I have one of their drill presses. No a complaint and it was stupid cheap. They're 2 hp dust collector is highly regarded amongst hobby woodworkers.

Small air fittings, nytrile gloves, shop rags, and all manner of consumables are available for very cheap an are perfectly good.

So while you have to wade through a store full of cheap Chinese shit to find it, there are some real hidden gems at hazard fraught

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Yep.

Here's one for the haters of everything. Yugo UF made with a "dark and dirty bore" parts kit that is accurate, 100% reliable and made with some HF tools.

http://i.imgur.com/yDjubB2.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

It's very appropriate that you built an AK with HF tools.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Me and most other AK builders as well. I've used some on ARs since I wouldn't want to leave those out. BTW thanks. My post was for a GDer like you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't. The motor's too weak and it turns too slow. It's easy to stop the belt pressing against it and the belt needs to turn much faster.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:16:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Love their tool chests - have two of the 44" roller cabinets.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I noticed the overlap between northern an HF.  Definitely tools coming out of the same sweatshops.

I got a bunch of the large HF wrenches for working on tractors in the field. Seem decient enough.

A pack of their dremel cutoff discs sucked.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Like others have said, you just have to know what you're buying.

For a long time (not sure if they still carry it) they had the NICE Goodyear air hose...1/3 of the cost anywhere else.  Been using 2 reels with it for going on 5 years, no issues.

Their "middle of road" digital calipers....DEAD on with my buddy's high dollar set.  I still rag his ass about that.

Torque wrenches - conventional / not digital - they are great for the money.  DEAD on readings when tested and if you ever have an issue, take it back and get another for free.

Several of their HVLP guns are great bang for the buck.  Friend of mine (guy who makes his living doing paint jobs) uses these for his primer guns.  I've used their guns to do three paint jobs so far and all of them came out great.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Don't. The motor's too weak and it turns too slow. It's easy to stop the belt pressing against it and the belt needs to turn much faster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my experience also. I will sell you a almost brand new one for $50
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#40]
cant beat their impact sockets.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They sell tons of specialty tools and gadgets you can't find at any othe store aside from Northern Tool.  Albeit they're Chinese copies of the real thing that costs 10 times more but it's better than nothing for the price.  

Example -- good luck trying to find a slide hammer blind hole bearing puller at Sears.  For $40 to boot.  That's a $300 tool if bought from a professional tool maker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

their not that expensive
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#42]
If you need to buy a specialty tool to use only a couple times in your life its the perfect place to buy it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#43]
HF tools are like BIC lighters to me --disposable. they are inexpensive and readily avialable but I dont expect too much of them. Sometimes you find a gem.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
47 or 74

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#45]
I bought an angle grinder there for 19.99 about 15 years ago.  It is still chugging along.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
http://transgarp.dyndns.org/div/Moron-Lamp.jpg

My moron lamp came with bulbs, while the display had LEDs.  
View Quote

I have 3.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#47]
For certain projects, it is easier and cheaper to buy at HF than rent at a Lowe's Depot.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I OC daily as long as I'm not in class.  No one at my HF has said shit to me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

We respect state & federal laws
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, best sorce for cheap bolt cutters to grind into Trunnion rivet tools.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top