Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2015 6:00:58 PM EDT
Why has nobody ever made accurate 37mm copies of the military 40mm versions?

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Randy Shivak aka MR. 40mm used to have a website that advertised M203, and M79 receivers, and you could use a 37mm barrel.  I understand that he is out of that business now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Always wondered this too.  I have all these nifty M4 barrels, each with the step down in diameter, yet no launchers to hang on them.  Seems like there's a market there.  Hmmm........
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#3]
the way the ATF is going, you wont be able to fire a toy soldier/parachute into the air with them in 6 months.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Honest answer?? Because very few people want to pay $1300 for a Real M-203 Receiver to shoot 37mm, or IIRC $1700 for an M-79 Receiver for the same...
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#6]
you really think the market is there for fake grenade launchers?

I rank those things right up there with the Chinese tazers you hear crackling all day at the gunshow
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honest answer?? Because very few people want to pay $1300 for a Real M-203 Receiver to shoot 37mm, or IIRC $1700 for an M-79 Receiver for the same...
View Quote

wouldn't a real receiver require a $200 NFA stamp and be more like $6000
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

I think he's suggesting; for example - why didn't Spike's design their flare launcher to be a clone of the M203 instead of the one they did?

I think a lot more would be interested in purchasing one if it actually looked like the M203 instead of hanging 3" lower under the barrel...
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Receivers can be transferred as title one and cost just about what he said. Except I think the M79 ones are going for a bit more.

You only need a stamp to put a 40mm barrel on, or to shoot people rounds out of the 37mm.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not hard to tie up $3500-$5000 building a M79 and doing it right. The last receiver I saw sold went for $2300 iIIRC. Add in a complete usable parts kit and parkerizing and your about centered in that range, a really good barrel and wood might blow the $5000 away.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No. Receivers can be transferred as title one and cost just about what he said. Except I think the M79 ones are going for a bit more.

You only need a stamp to put a 40mm barrel on, or to shoot people rounds out of the 37mm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, it's the barrel that makes it a DD.

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the reciever itself transfers as a title I Weapon not NFA, There were a few folks, including Shivak that made sleeved 203 and 79 barrels.  It doesnt become NFA unless you possess a 40mm Rifled Barrel for it (or if 37mm AP munitions)  Just like a Mortar, the Cup is a Title 1 weapon..transfers on a 4473 with a NICS check, it doesnt become NFA until you also possess a Tube
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think he's suggesting; for example - why didn't Spike's design their flare launcher to be a clone of the M203 instead of the one they did?

I think a lot more would be interested in purchasing one if it actually looked like the M203 instead of hanging 3" lower under the barrel...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The price would go up because of the extra machining involved
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#14]
hasnt the ATF been cracking down on 37 mm ammo lately? does it even make sense to buy one of these anymore?
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's not hard to tie up $3500-$5000 building a M79 and doing it right. The last receiver I saw sold went for $2300 iIIRC. Add in a complete usable parts kit and parkerizing and your about centered in that range, a really good barrel and wood might blow the $5000 away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Havent been to Shivak's site in at least 5 years, so im not surprised the prices went up before he got out of the Biz
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
hasnt the ATF been cracking down on 37 mm ammo lately? does it even make sense to buy one of these anymore?
View Quote

Interested to hear about this...
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

some good info about it here:
LINK
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Randy Shivak is selling the last M79 receivers he has right now......3500.00 each.....

the type of folks who buy 37mm launchers can not / are not going to drop that kind of coin.....
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Randy Shivak is selling the last M79 receivers he has right now......3500.00 each.....

the type of folks who buy 37mm launchers can not / are not going to drop that kind of coin.....
View Quote

I really, really want one, but that's $6000ish to fire the first round. The wife would use it on me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#20]
That's weird, I was thinking the same thing a few days ago. When I started researching it the only M79 clone I could find was some abortion with a picatinny rail on top.

Even the M203 looked...off.

How hard can it be?
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#21]
they do

check out the B&D m79
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
they do

check out the ASA m79
View Quote

Got a link?
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Got a link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
they do

check out the ASA m79

Got a link?

4th down

http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/37mm-launchers.html
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#24]
cobray also makes M203 replicas in 37mm

http://www.usmachinegun.com/products.php?cat=63
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't know much on this subject, but as impractical as it might be, and ultimately completely useless, I've always
wanted a clone of this:

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

None of those are M203 replicas.  The mounting system is very different and the result is that they hang a good couple inches below where a real M203 would be under the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#27]
The B&Ds aren't real close to looking like a M79 either. They look like a cheap Chinese knockoff of a gun the designer only say when playing CoD
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't know much on this subject, but as impractical as it might be, and ultimately completely useless, I've always
wanted a clone of this:

http://www.autoweapons.com/photosn/541m16m203e.jpg
View Quote

I've considered it... I've got an A1, but it's currently sporting A2 style hand-guards...
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've considered it... I've got an A1, but it's currently sporting A2 style hand-guards...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wanted a clone of this:

http://www.autoweapons.com/photosn/541m16m203e.jpg

Tell anyone who asks it a clone of an Air Force M16 transitional model, lock eyes with them, assert your self through visual contact, dare them to prove otherwise. When the right parts show up you can tell them you got tired of explaining why it was so special and reconfigured it, making it a clone of an earlier weapon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

None of those are M203 replicas.  The mounting system is very different and the result is that they hang a good couple inches below where a real M203 would be under the barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also function very differently,  external cooking handle, different safety
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The B&Ds aren't real close to looking like a M79 either. They look like a cheap Chinese knockoff of a gun the designer only say when playing CoD
View Quote

The Bates and Dittus launchers are probably the best quality made of the modern launchers, but they aren't anything close to the "real" thing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, this!  Design it like that from the start.  And since you don't have to deal with the pressures generated by LEO/Mil rounds, you could use less expensive aluminum vice steel.

The faux M203 I have now actually seems more complicated than the real thing with the cocking lever and the M-16-style safety switch.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

They haven't been outlawed yet!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Another question, what about the airsoft versions?  Can I take an airsoft M203 and replace some parts to make a functioning 37mm launcher?  I'm thinking about our fellow arfcommer who turns airsoft guns into .22 shooting copies.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Another question, what about the airsoft versions?  Can I take an airsoft M203 and replace some parts to make a functioning 37mm launcher?  I'm thinking about our fellow arfcommer who turns airsoft guns into .22 shooting copies.
View Quote

Legally speaking, yes.

Technically speaking, probably not?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Legally speaking, yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legally speaking, yes.

Why not?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Why not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legally speaking, yes.

Why not?

What he does is put a complete firearm into an airsoft shell, not turn airsoft into the real thing. "Replace some  parts" and use airsoft receiver and it'll likely come apart, and maybe take your hands with it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What he does is put a complete firearm into an airsoft shell, not turn airsoft into the real thing. "Replace some  parts" and use airsoft receiver and it'll likely come apart, and maybe take your hands with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legally speaking, yes.

Why not?

That and the "firing pin" and trigger assembly on the airsoft models essentially push a button on the back of the airsoft shell VS. strike a primer.

You'd pretty much have to replace every single part with a custom machined part. At which point just machine the whole thing yourself.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sounds awesome, link to one of these Airsoft conversions?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How have you missed these? That dude inserted his pics into every fucking picture thread until people got pissed. Imagine an Airsoft M249 SAW with a Marlin Model 60 in it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That and the "firing pin" and trigger assembly on the airsoft models essentially push a button on the back of the airsoft shell VS. strike a primer.

You'd pretty much have to replace every single part with a custom machined part. At which point just machine the whole thing yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legally speaking, yes.

Why not?

Good info to know, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I would love to own an M79, even a non-working one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How have you missed these? That dude inserted his pics into every fucking picture thread until people got pissed. Imagine an Airsoft M249 SAW with a Marlin Model 60 in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

New guy.......that peaked in 12 didn't it????????
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legally speaking, yes.

Why not?

I had one, but my bag got stolen out of my truck before I could test the fit of a real 203 barrel.  That said, there are some INTERESTING airsoft 40 mm rounds out there now from a Russian company....they get spendy very fast tho
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm happy with my Spikes Havok.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's using real parts kits as body shells now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you just want a relatively inexpensive replica, these airsoft ones are incredible!  I had a buddy who had the M203 and it had a rifled 40mm diameter barrel with lands and grooves, military markings, was constructed of steel and plastic, and felt like the real thing in every way possible.  I was amazed!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#48]
I purchased this one:  http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/King_Arms_Colt_M203_Airsoft_Grenade_Launcher_Military_Version_Long_Barrel/5580

Just to put on one of my 20" AR's for some pictures.  Actually, I was *very* impressed with it.  Licensed Colt trademarks, unique serial number, made out of metal, attaches very well.  I got it on a closeout from another retailer for about $50 shipped.  It was definitely worth that for some pics.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If you just want a relatively inexpensive replica, these airsoft ones are incredible!  I had a buddy who had the M203 and it had a threaded 40mm diameter barrel with regular lands and grooves, military markings, was constructed of steel and plastic, and felt like the real thing in every way possible.  I was amazed!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you just want a relatively inexpensive replica, these airsoft ones are incredible!  I had a buddy who had the M203 and it had a threaded 40mm diameter barrel with regular lands and grooves, military markings, was constructed of steel and plastic, and felt like the real thing in every way possible.  I was amazed!

Mine was pretty spot-on...the only "Airsoft-feel" thing was the extendable section of the collapsible stock, when it was out it didn't lock well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top