Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2015 2:36:08 AM EDT
Gunnery Sgt. Mark McBride, the subject of a Marine Corps Times story last year after twice shooting a perfect score, repeated the astounding feat for a third time Aug 26.

"I just want people to know the gunny is still here and still perfect," he joked recently.

It is hard to say if it's a feat no other Marine has achieved. Others have certainly shot perfect pistol scores, but the Marines in McBride's unit at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort — including the two pistol coaches who observed his qualification — have never seen it done so many times.

"To shoot as well as he did, I have not yet seen somebody do that," said Sgt. Jennifer Bailey, a field wireman and marksmanship coach with Marine Wing Support Squadron 273. "With the way his groups were, I've not seen anybody come close to that."

Now McBride has aspirations to begin competing and try out for the Quantico, Virginia-based Marine Corps Pistol Team. He didn't last year because he was approaching eligibility for the master sergeant board and wanted to maintain MOS credibility while also mentoring Marines in his unit. But this year, he is ready.
View Quote

Full Story

About the Combat Pistol Program qualification.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:38:59 AM EDT
[#1]
He shot a 2700?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:48:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Gunnery Sgt  ....
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:48:50 AM EDT
[#3]
He shot a 400 (40 shots, 10 points per shot) on our new pistol course.

I've only shot this course two times, and I have also shot a 400 both times. It is infinitely easier than our previous qual course, which was next to impossible to shoot perfectly with a rack grade Beretta. Its nice to know that we're also bragging about prequal scores.

Bottom line, the USMC reduced its standards. Most shooters at the IDPA Expert skill lever or higher would shoot a 400 on this course. Old course? Just getting Expert was a challenge and you NEVER saw anyone shoot into the 390s.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:06:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've only shot this course two times, and I have also shot a 400 both times. It is infinitely easier than our previous qual course, which was next to impossible to shoot perfectly with a rack grade Beretta. Its nice to know that we're also bragging about prequal scores.

Bottom line, the USMC reduced its standards. Most shooters at the IDPA Expert skill lever or higher would shoot a 400 on this course. Old course? Just getting Expert was a challenge and you NEVER saw anyone shoot into the 390s.
View Quote

Did he get any of his 400s on the older course?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:26:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was there a particular stage of the old course that made 400 difficult, or just 10 ring size in general?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:36:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot perfect four times (USAF) on the M-16A2, twice on the M-4, and twice on the M9.

What's the big deal?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:59:30 AM EDT
[#7]
the article with the current (new?) course of fire is very similar to what my current spring qualifications are. I too shot expert with the M9 on the USAF course. Current quals are with a glock 22.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#8]
What is the new course of fire? Did they enlarge the 10 ring?

ETA. Found it. Wow, that's a huge target.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Old course was a pain in the ass I don't think anyone ever got three perfect scores in it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I shot expert all three times I qualified on the old course, but my highest score was a 380 I think. Scoring in the 390s was downright impossible. The new course is much easier.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've shot perfect four times (USAF) on the M-16A2, twice on the M-4, and twice on the M9.

What's the big deal?
View Quote

The Air Force qual course, at least with rifle, is nothing at all like the Marine Corps qual. Probably same with pistol.*

Been a while since I had to qual with pistol for AF. Shot expert, but not perfect.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What is the new course of fire? Did they enlarge the 10 ring?

ETA. Found it. Wow, that's a huge target.

http://rifleshooter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/target-with-scoring-areas.png
View Quote

A shot to the D should be 10 points
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Hell I can do that

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Didn't read article...

What distance?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What's the big deal?
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought this was going to be Duffel Blog.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He shot a 2700?
View Quote

I smell an old NMC shooter here.........
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the big deal?

LOL

That's what I was thinking. Started USMC, was lead Rifle Coach for my battalion. Then, when I reenlisted in USAF, and I saw how they qual'd, I chuckled.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Is this the 25yd, 7yd, 7yd, 15yd  course?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Didn't read article...

What distance?

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Is this the 25yd, 7yd, 7yd, 15yd  course?
View Quote
And what time frame?

40 shots in 40 seconds? 30? 20? 10? Makes a big difference.

Never mind, Answered above.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't read article...

What distance?

http://rifleshooter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/USMC-CPP-COF.png

So basically, at 25yards, you have 7 seconds to bring the pistol up and fire ONE shot. And you do this 8 times?

Where do i get these targets, I want to re-create this.

At 15yrds, 2chest, 2head? with a reload between? 12 seconds? ....
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much this. Not taking anything away from the Gunny- that's still some good shooting, but IMO the new course is easier...for most people. I've seen some people REALLY struggle however if they are uncomfortable drawing the pistol. THe old course didn't require a draw, the new one does. My last qual we had 3 guys out of about 20-25 shoot 400s.
I shot like a 397 or something IIRC. My best score on the old course was like a 380 or 385 IIRC.

I'm not so sure I'd say the standards were lowered, it's just a different course that *most* people shoot better on....I say that I wouldn't consider it a reduction in standards necessarily mainly because it requires the draw and has stricter time limits which makes it a little more applicable to actual combat shooting.

ETA- a lot of people fumble the mag change as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What's the big deal?
View Quote

No offense of course. Do you guys shoot at 500m?

To put this in perspective, I was the company high shooter on rifle a few years back. M-16 with irons. I shot a 240 out of 250 points. This was out of 250 Marines.

I have never personally seen anyone shoot a perfect score on the USMC rifle qual. I know it's happened, but it's uncommon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So basically, at 25yards, you have 7 seconds to bring the pistol up and fire ONE shot. And you do this 8 times?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't read article...

What distance?

http://www.targets.net/html/Targets/M/MPMS-1.html
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

For those who can't read the chart.

From seven yards draw and fire two rounds in five seconds.  Do it three times

From seven yards draw and do a Mozambique in 7 seconds. Do it twice.

From seven yards draw, fire two rounds, do a slide lock reload and fire two more rounds in 9 seconds.

From 15 yards draw and fire two rounds in six seconds. Do it six times.

From 15 yards draw, fire two rounds, do a slide lock reload and fire two more rounds in 12 seconds.

From 25 yards fire one single action shot in 7 seconds.  Do it 8 times.

Good job on Gunny's part but that isn't exactly winning Perry or USPSA Nationals.  He's a skilled shooter but not quite the shooting god the article is hyping just a lot better than the average Marine.  I'd expect a C class USPA shooter could do that pretty easily.  Those time standards are crazy slow.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I got 30/30 on the Army course, wearing my gas mask with only 30 rouns. Good shhoting but not all that hard.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#29]
The best I ever did on the old qual course with the pistol was 392, with the rifle it was 243. The day I shot 243 I was stoked, until I got back to the shop and found out that two of the other guys in the shop fired 244 and 245. This was out of a shop of 11 guys.

I retired with 13 consecutive expert awards with the rifle and 9 with the pistol. I wanted to have 20th award expert when I retired but, they stopped letting me shoot the rifle after going over 14 years as a Gunny and they stopped letting me shoot the pistol after 20 years.

What really helped me was doing the Combat Marksmanship Instructors course and the CQB course at SOTG a couple of times. I figured out that in the three years I was with the MEU(SOC) I fired around a quarter million rounds through the M9, MP-5 and various other weapons. I really miss the days of unlimited free ammo to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#30]
7 time pistol expert on the old course.  

6 times with an M9 and 1 time with a 2 1/2" S&W model 19 shooting .38 rounds

I shot the dirt once at the 7 yd line still got expert

That target posted for the new course of fire appears to be MUCH easier.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Fun fact for you guys.  

When the High Shooter note is put in the base paper (The Jetstream) every week it has a picture of MY personal M1911.  

I qualed on that range many times but never on the new course.  My all time high score was 387.  

Congrats Guns.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Having shot both I would say the rifle is about the same hardness, people like to dog on The AF reduced range course but it can be tricky. The Hard thing about the AF rifle course was having to shoot with a gas mask or if you got stuck Qualifying in the dead of winter.... Thought the Marine KD qual course was easy but I shot HP for a few yrs, Off hand, rapid fire and 500M was no big deal.

I did get to shoot the old Marine pistol course once with the local reserve unit and I thought the AF M9 Qual  was harder esp since you had to use the CATM M9 's with fried bbls from shooting that shit frangible lead free ammo, the last one I shot before retiring you could barely make out the rifling and that POS probably wouldn't put every shot in the circle from a Ransom Rest......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top