Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2015 9:47:37 AM EDT
I found this aluminum  0 GA shot shell at a yard sale this morning for .25 cents. It looks like it was never loaded. Marked 0 ga with a W under it and ink-stamped 0 GA For Shot Only on the side three times.

It fits in my M8 flare gun perfectly so it leads me to believe it's .mil in nature.

All I could find out is it may have been used in something like to a kiln gun to kill/drive birds off of air force bases but it's speculation.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Single shot Judge?  
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Low flying planes?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Yard sale? You should have offered them a dime for it.

I have no idea what it is for but I'd have bought it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#5]
an opossum skinner?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably one of those "shot shell on a stick" things they use to knock out plugs during metal smelting, ore refining, or in a blast furnace to break up "clinkers".
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#7]
punt gun ?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Spring turkey season
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#9]
It's for loading into this 0 Gauge punt gun.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Black Friday at Walmart?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Punt gun to get the whole flock
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#13]
0 gauge doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  Shotshell gauges are based on number of round lead balls to the pound.  A 12 gauge has a bore diameter such that a lead round ball that just fits would weigh 1/12 of a pound.  A  4 gauge would have a 1/4 pound round ball while a 1 gauge round ball would weigh in at one pound.

I suppose a 0 gauge might mean something bigger, but how much bigger?  For if you continue with the formula, it would mean an infinitely heavy ball.  It could possibly mean something like a 1-1/8 pound ball, or 1-1/4, or . . . .  A 00 gauge would then go up in some increment, followed by a 000 gauge by that same increment.  

What does is the inside diameter of the case measure?  That would tell us what the increment over 1 pound is.

ETA:  It is not for a punt gun.  Those were outlawed around the time of the self contained cartridge became into being.  Also, the case is aluminum which was not even thought of as a material while these big guns were legal.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice Very pistol.  Used to have one and sold it when the box of flares my dad saved were gone.  Used in WWII bombers to signal tower on approach.  Hence the lugs on the barrel- fit into an opening in the top of the bomber then twisted in to lock it in place.  Not fun to shoot handheld.

Is it marked "EVCC"?

Eureka Vacuum Cleaner Co.?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like a flare gun.........
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's for loading into this 0 Gauge punt gun.

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/9736000/ngbbs44cd788446f51.jpg
View Quote
Close.   That is a wall-gun since it is muzzleloading.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

It does.  But why does it say "For SHOT only" ?  

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
0 gauge doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  Shotshell gauges are based on number of round lead balls to the pound.  A 12 gauge has a bore diameter such that a lead round ball that just fits would weigh 1/12 of a pound.  A  4 gauge would have a 1/4 pound round ball while a 1 gauge round ball would weigh in at one pound.

I suppose a 0 gauge might mean something bigger, but how much bigger?  For if you continue with the formula, it would mean an infinitely heavy ball.  It could possibly mean something like a 1-1/8 pound ball, or 1-1/4, or . . . .  A 00 gauge would then go up in some increment, followed by a 000 gauge by that same increment.  

What does is the inside diameter of the case measure?  That would tell us what the increment over 1 pound is.

ETA:  It is not for a punt gun.  Those were outlawed around the time of the self contained cartridge became into being.  Also, the case is aluminum which was not even thought of as a material while these big guns were legal.

View Quote

This. Browning A5s and bags of corn put the punt guns out of business pretty quick

For anyone interested The Outlaw Gunner is a pretty damn good book about market hunting on the Chesapeake back in the day.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Punt gun shells.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because loading a single projectile would blow the gun up.

The shell is a modern recreation of one that is no longer commercially available.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#21]
http://cutlerscove.com/neat-stuff/shotshells/shotshells-all-gauges.htm

well, part of the mystery solved, it's a larger diameter than 1 gauge.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Found this, don't know if accurate:

Winchester 0 Ga. Aluminum Shotshell Casing, "For Shot Only," Unused, Military Issue.  This is one huge shotshell casing at 1 9/16" diameter x 3 13/16" tall.  Headstamped 0GA W.  Stenciled in red on 4 sides of the casing is "0 GA. FOR SHOT ONLY".  These were used by the Air Force for clearing birds off airfields, and were in use from WWII until 1970 when they stopped using them and the government auctioned off the remaining supplies.  Very unusual and unique item.  Condition Very Good Plus.

Supposedly fired from a device like a kiln gun.  Probably Wincherster gun and Western Cartridge.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://cutlerscove.com/neat-stuff/shotshells/shotshells-all-gauges.htm

well, part of the mystery solved, it's a larger diameter than 1 gauge.
View Quote

Is that it, 3rd from the right?

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#25]
would be interesting to know the velocity of the 1 lb load to calculate recoil. factoring in the weight of the firearm used.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've read where 0 gauge was sort of a catch-all for flare gun cartridges and other special use shells.

It fits perfectly my M8 so it's designed to work in some kind of a 37mm gun.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#28]
It's the perfect round for drones.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Found this, don't know if accurate:

Winchester 0 Ga. Aluminum Shotshell Casing, "For Shot Only," Unused, Military Issue.  This is one huge shotshell casing at 1 9/16" diameter x 3 13/16" tall.  Headstamped 0GA W.  Stenciled in red on 4 sides of the casing is "0 GA. FOR SHOT ONLY".  These were used by the Air Force for clearing birds off airfields, and were in use from WWII until 1970 when they stopped using them and the government auctioned off the remaining supplies.  Very unusual and unique item.  Condition Very Good Plus.

Supposedly fired from a device like a kiln gun.  Probably Wincherster gun and Western Cartridge.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The shell is a modern recreation of one that is no longer commercially available.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#31]

beat me to it

8 gauge kiln gun with "suppressor" we have at work (steel mill) still sounds like a bomb going off

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Here is a Winchester kiln gun but all I've seen are 8 gauge.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top