Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep waiting for WKRP to show up on Netflix.

Great show.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We all thought that they could and would fly too if they really had to, so when we were in Vietnam we bought one at the market and tossed it out of a helicopter at 1,500 ft.  Sure enough, the bird exhibited the characteristics of flight that we expected up until the landing, then it went bad.  The flare was off, the braking was bad and it balled it up with fatal results.  We had solved the question about chicken flight once and for all.
View Quote

Holy shit.  That should be in a book.  

Having been around the stupid fuckers for most of my life, I have a good mental picture of what you are describing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I ran over 7 at one time in a school bus, the kids were amused but unfortunately it didn't get on the dash cam
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, not fly exactly but at least get out of the way. I just ran over one in the road. I thought he she would jump out of the way like a crow or vulture.

No damage to the car. At 30mph it only made a little thump, pretty light birds, all in all.

I ran over 7 at one time in a school bus, the kids were amused but unfortunately it didn't get on the dash cam

Holy crap this thread has me laughing my ass  off.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
our chickens can get up into trees.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Same here!

And for the ones who don't know....

https://youtu.be/lf3mgmEdfwg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
W...K...R...P...in Cincinnati....

I like you spin off...

Same here!

And for the ones who don't know....

https://youtu.be/lf3mgmEdfwg

1.  She. I read the title I thought of that episode of warp
2.  Is it bad that   I remember watching that episode
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Depends. Our domesticated Rio Grande hen (close relative to the wild Turkey) has some mad flight skills. The day I brought her home we just put her in the back yard thinking that she would be fine. The next morning we found her on the neighbors roof. We've kept her wings clipped since then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We all thought that they could and would fly too if they really had to, so when we were in Vietnam we bought one at the market and tossed it out of a helicopter at 1,500 ft.  Sure enough, the bird exhibited the characteristics of flight that we expected up until the landing, then it went bad.  The flare was off, the braking was bad and it balled it up with fatal results.  We had solved the question about chicken flight once and for all.

Wild turkeys don't fly much better. They have to be one of the clumsiest birds I've seen fly, often bouncing off trees.  The little wild poults are pretty agile though.

Depends. Our domesticated Rio Grande hen (close relative to the wild Turkey) has some mad flight skills. The day I brought her home we just put her in the back yard thinking that she would be fine. The next morning we found her on the neighbors roof. We've kept her wings clipped since then.

After many years of raising leghorns, barred rocks and other hefty breeds, my dad went fell in love with a pair of Wheaten Old-English Game Bantams at a show, and picked them up. Those things could fly pretty good. Granted, they didn't get more than 8 ft off the ground, but they would do 30-40 yds easy.
Big White Leghorn king of the coup rooster (who was a total ass-hole) thought he would push around this puny little newcomer, but that little bantam rooster kicked his ass into next week. Never tried to push him around again. He would posture every once in a while, but the bantam would face off and then fly up in his face, and it was over.
Always made me happy, because that white tyrant terrorized us kids more than once.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
our chickens can get up into trees.
View Quote

I was in luckenbach, tx and saw a bunch in a tree I was sitting under enjoying a cold beer.  I thought too they couldn't fly or at least have the ability to perch in a tree but there they were.  it was strange.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Having been around the stupid fuckers for most of my life, I have a good mental picture of what you are describing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, there were many bets being placed on both sides of the coin.  Only a few of the farm-raised boys were sure how it would turn out.  Vietnamese chickens aren't the corn-fed, genetically modified version of chickens with huge breasts like we see today.  These things were fairly lean and certainly seemed like they were capable of flight, but in the end, no so much!
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems to me, an animal bred for food wouldn't be of much use if it could fly away.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In the absence of a rooster, one of the hens will take on the job and start crowing and all that. It's still a hen tho.
View Quote

It's amazing what you can learn on this forum.... I have spent at least 30 years of my life around
hens with no roosters in the mix, and not once have I ever heard a hen crow.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a neighbor who used to let her chickens loose during the day in our rural neighborhood. They could fly well enough to get in the backyard and get killed by my dog. My neighbor never learned and just kept buying more chickens and I just kept washing the blood off my dog.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Bailey was hotter

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Keep waiting for WKRP to show up on Netflix.

Great show.
View Quote

Not to hijack the thread, but, sadly, you'll never see this.

...or the dvd/BR/digital dl version.  Seems the show used a lot of music clips at the time of actual music. Since the ownership/rights of those clips have changed over the years, there are a number of clips that they can no longer get the rights for.

IIRC, the Beatles stuff was one of the problems, but not the only one.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Yes, but there is still only one answer to the question.

BOTH!
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

BOTH!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

BOTH!

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate chickens. Had to get the eggs every fricken morning and the damn things would peck at you.

Friday night, I let my Mom's dog out at 9. Saw some movement on one of the porch chairs. Almost opened up on it with the PX4 Subcompact 9mm. But first I turned on the porch light. 4 fat chickens had taken up a roust on it. They were so fat they could barely fit on it. Being as it was dark, I figured I'd take care of them in the morning.

The next day that chair was covered in chicken shit , plus two eggs. I reached for one of them and the idiots knocked the eggs on to the porch. The chickens headed for the yard. It took half an hour to clean the chair and porch off. Later one of my sisters came by and I told her about them. She went and put the chickens over the fence where they belonged. Two of them pecked her pretty good. Which save me.

Ed
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I call the chickens that produced the gigantic breasts for sale at Sam's Club "Chernobyl chickens."

Their size can't have been through breeding alone. I'm surprised they don't glow in the dark.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe most used to be able to, but we bread them to have big boobs.
Freudian slip

I call the chickens that produced the gigantic breasts for sale at Sam's Club "Chernobyl chickens."

Their size can't have been through breeding alone. I'm surprised they don't glow in the dark.

I don't know what sort of chicken Sam's sells but a lot of the Asian breeds get really big.

I kept Buff Orpingtons for a while, they're huge, like Turkeys, the rooster was over two feet tall. Good birds though, forage for most of their food, would tear rotten logs apart looking for bugs. We lost one to a bald eagle, picked the hen up and landed on a branch not 25' from me and ate it while I watched.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

As an owner of chickens, let me reaffirm that they are stupid fucking animals.

Free eggs are nice though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
you don't need to worry about anyone sneaking around your property if you have a flock of guineas.

they will loudly inform you of anything foreign inside the fence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, not fly exactly but at least get out of the way. I just ran over one in the road. I thought he she would jump out of the way like a crow or vulture.

No damage to the car. At 30mph it only made a little thump, pretty light birds, all in all.

There is a fortune to be made in a sporting event where contestants drive a road course with guineas present. The objective: the driver who runs over the most guineas, or the driver with the last drivable car, wins.  There might be dead drivers at the end of the event, but the only dead guineas will have died of laughter. I reckon guineas are impossible to run over.

http://modernfarmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/guineahero.jpg

you don't need to worry about anyone sneaking around your property if you have a flock of guineas.

they will loudly inform you of anything foreign inside the fence.

This.  My uncle used to have guinea hens on his farm.

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wild turkeys don't fly much better. They have to be one of the clumsiest birds I've seen fly, often bouncing off trees.  The little wild poults are pretty agile though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Loud as hell. They sound like a pterodactyl flying through the woods. (Not that I know what a pterodactyl actually sounds like.)
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"The only thing dummer than a cow is a chicken."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're talking about animals bred to be so stupid they stand around while a predator rips their fellow chickens to pieces and pick fights with dogs and cats many times their size and with an infinitely more honed killer instinct.
"The only thing dummer than a cow is a chicken."

Turkeys are pretty absolutely fucking retarded.

Even more so then chickens i do have to say. (domestic ones)
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#23]
My neighbor has twenty fucking chickens. I hate those fucking chickens.

So I put a $20 bounty on them if my kids accidentally hit one shooting on the lacrosse net in the yard.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
W...K...R...P...in Cincinnati....

I like you spin off...
View Quote

Came in to say TURKEYS, it was Turkeys!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#25]
true story....a few winters ago my mom stopped by and said "did you know there is a friggin rooster in your pond?" I called bullshit because chickens can't swim but she said let me prove it then and so we walked out to the pond and sure enough there was my neighbors friggin rooster swimming around and in very cold water.  My dog had chased it in there and was sitting on the bank waiting for it to come back out. Too funny. I put the dog away and the rooster finally came out and went back home but needed a heat lamp for a week or so.  He couldn't fly worth a damn but he sure as hell could swim like a duck. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Yep. No contest.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The chicken crossed the road to prove to possums that it can be done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess we'll never find out why the chicken crossed the road.

The chicken crossed the road to prove to possums that it can be done.

tell it to the armadillos.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Running over a bird for fun. Sounds like something a dick would do.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Friend of mine hit a turkey, once.   A big one.   Destroyed her radiator.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep. No contest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep. No contest.

I bet Burt Reynolds wishes he picked her.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
true story....a few winters ago my mom stopped by and said "did you know there is a friggin rooster in your pond?" I called bullshit because chickens can't swim but she said let me prove it then and so we walked out to the pond and sure enough there was my neighbors friggin rooster swimming around and in very cold water.  My dog had chased it in there and was sitting on the bank waiting for it to come back out. Too funny. I put the dog away and the rooster finally came out and went back home but needed a heat lamp for a week or so.  He couldn't fly worth a damn but he sure as hell could swim like a duck. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.
View Quote

Bet he was madder than a wet hen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. No contest.

Damn right.

"Jennifer" was a 70's caricature of what a beautiful woman was supposed to be. Bailey was the real deal. Timeless.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top