Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2015 12:54:20 PM EDT
Hows it goin fellas?

I got a quick question for you and if you have any suggestions do tell.

My question is, can I or how can I attach my Titan BlackHawk Backpack to my Molle Chest rig. I haven't been able to figure it out and hopefully you guys can help me out on that. Or is there another backpack that would work better? Any suggestions of how to handle this?

Use would be for hunting/hiking/camping and obviously hauling gear around.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't attach it, your chest rig has the essentials it should always be on. The backpack has the extras, it can be left behind.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I see what you are saying, so how would I go about it?

As of now the way the backpack is, i can't throw it on my back while i have the Molle on.

This is something i was looking at doing. Just incase i have to carry a extra weapon for someone else in case of an emergency.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI.

A lot of militaries used to use an LBE/beltkit with detachable pack component (I've got a set of British 58 Pattern webbing that has this) and it's more trouble than its worth.  It takes too long to unhook/ditch the pack in a hurry, and it's a PITA to hook up again (you have to take off the webbing, or get a buddy to hook you up).  Keep the pack separate.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As of now the way the backpack is, i can't throw it on my back while i have the Molle on.

This is something i was looking at doing. Just incase i have to carry a extra weapon for someone else in case of an emergency.

http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Archangel_Armor_Internal_Frame_Load-Bearing_System_IFLBS_Version_5_Tactical_Armor_Plate_Carrier_System_Paul_Carter_Photo_2.jpg
View Quote

If you really want to.
Depends on the backpack,  unlatch the lower part of the straps from the upper and and use those to connect to the vest. i would let the uppers go over the shoulder part of the vest and figure out how to connect it on your chest.  not real sure. do you have pics oh your vest and pack?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't see the need for a chest rig and backpack while out hunting/hiking/camping.
The strappings on the chest rig is not designed to have the weight of a full size backpack attached to the back.
What do you need to keep on the chest rig that can't be kept/stored in backpack?
For a short day just use the chest rig with hydro pack attached on back.
For long or multi-day trip just use a backpack to haul all the stuff around.
If you already have a good chest rig, then a good backpack is what you want as it will be much more comfortable to haul supplies around.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the pack. I don't have any pictures of it off hand but the only difference, between the pics shown there and mine, is the color.
http://blackhawk.com/Products/Bags-Packs-Tactical-Nylon/Bags-Packs/Hydration/Titan%E2%84%A2-Pack.aspx

My vest is a simple Molle plate carrier like this:
http://www.ar500armor.com/operator-ii-plate-carrier-olive-drab.html#.Vk9VMnarSUk

Unfortunately, from what i remember off the top of my head, I cannot detach any slings from the backpack in order to connect it like you say. I understand it is a pain in the ass to have the backpack to be detachable, but I would like to carry a large backpack.

*EDIT*
It seems that the lower half, like you said, can be detached from the buckle. Here is an image where you can see it quite clearly
http://www.condoroutdoor.com/images/products/detail/125_001_F.jpg

Though how would i go about attaching it? How would i attach the upper part in order to have it stabalized?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is the pack. I don't have any pictures of it off hand but the only difference, between the pics shown there and mine, is the color.

http://blackhawk.com/Products/Bags-Packs-Tactical-Nylon/Bags-Packs/Hydration/Titan%E2%84%A2-Pack.aspx

My vest is a simple Molle plate carrier like this:

http://www.ar500armor.com/operator-ii-plate-carrier-olive-drab.html#.Vk9VMnarSUk

Unfortunately, from what i remember off the top of my head, I cannot detach any slings from the backpack in order to connect it like you say. I understand it is a pain in the ass to have the backpack to be detachable, but I would like to carry a large backpack.

*EDIT*

It seems that the lower half, like you said, can be detached from the buckle. Here is an image where you can see it quite clearly

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/images/products/detail/125_001_F.jpg

Though how would i go about attaching it? How would i attach the upper part in order to have it stabalized?
View Quote
I understand what you're trying to do.  I'm just not convinced it'd work properly with the equipment you have.  

Maybe take the padding off the packs shoulder straps, then feed them through the molle loops on the back?  May need to cut/ shorten the shoulder straps to get the length right.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Ooooo......  I think this is going to be fun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep your pack separate from your vest.

We've tried to do this dating back for decades, and every attempt has been a failure of some sort.

The original LBV had attachment points for the assault pack, which would make the LBV ride up too high.

Some of the more modern systems require unique attachment methods to don that are slow and unnatural.

You need to be able to quickly don and ditch your pack, while keeping your vest on.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't see the need for a chest rig and backpack while out hunting/hiking/camping.
The strappings on the chest rig is not designed to have the weight of a full size backpack attached to the back.
What do you need to keep on the chest rig that can't be kept/stored in backpack?
For a short day just use the chest rig with hydro pack attached on back.
For long or multi-day trip just use a backpack to haul all the stuff around.
If you already have a good chest rig, then a good backpack is what you want as it will be much more comfortable to haul supplies around.

View Quote

I keep two extra mags,range finder, kestrel, binos, first aid kit, pen and note pad in my chest rig. Back pack gets, spotting scope,food, water, extra clothing, ammo etc. Ungodly handy being able to drop the pack and have everything you need on you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Archangel_Armor_Internal_Frame_Load-Bearing_System_IFLBS_Version_5_Tactical_Armor_Plate_Carrier_System_Paul_Carter_Photo_2.jpg
View Quote

That looks one snagged branch away from becoming a total lulzfest.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"How to turn a perfectly innocuous fence crossing into a reenactment of the Somme"

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#13]
"I understand what you're trying to do.  I'm just not convinced it'd work properly with the equipment you have.  

Maybe take the padding off the packs shoulder straps, then feed them through the molle loops on the back?  May need to cut/ shorten the shoulder straps to get the length right. "

I mean it would suck to destroy a $200 pack just to get it through the loops of the molley vest :/

There is one more person who says to keep the pack separate from the vest, which i agree for quick ditching if need be, but I am not sure how to strap it ontop of the vest.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Keep your pack separate from your vest.

We've tried to do this dating back for decades, and every attempt has been a failure of some sort.

The original LBV had attachment points for the assault pack, which would make the LBV ride up too high.

Some of the more modern systems require unique attachment methods to don that are slow and unnatural.

You need to be able to quickly don and ditch your pack, while keeping your vest on.
View Quote

Yup

Packs that are clipped onto a vest are not worthwhile. Hard to get off in a hurry, no way in hell youre getting it back attached properly in a timely fashion
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

"I understand what you're trying to do.  I'm just not convinced it'd work properly with the equipment you have.  

Maybe take the padding off the packs shoulder straps, then feed them through the molle loops on the back?  May need to cut/ shorten the shoulder straps to get the length right. "
I mean it would suck to destroy a $200 pack just to get it through the loops of the molley vest :/

There is one more person who says to keep the pack separate from the vest, which i agree for quick ditching if need be, but I am not sure how to strap it ontop of the vest.
View Quote
I agree that it'd suck; its one of the reason I don't recommend doing it.  

As
to the pack; I'm going to ask a really dumb question: What don't you
like about just wearing the pack as normal, over the chest rig?

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

You will probably have to destroy the top part of the straps, the bottom parts should feed through with no problem. I would test it with a cheap backpack first and see if you like it before wasting $300+.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:03:59 PM EDT
[#17]
There's a recent thread talking up the virtues of the Hill People Gear chest rig. Love mine. Used it with a framepack in WY this year.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/683514_Hill_People_Gear_Recon_Kit_Bag__Who_is_using_em_.html
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You will probably have to destroy the top part of the straps, the bottom parts should feed through with no problem. I would test it with a cheap backpack first and see if you like it before wasting $300+.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tbh its not that i don't like it, it just doesn't go over the vest. If that makes any sense. When i throw on the backpack the straps don't "strap" over the vest nor under the vest. I tried putting the straps under the vest, all it does it puff the vest up and the back part of the best is more or detached from the bottom. Plus its hella uncomfortable with the straps under the vest :/
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Tbh its not that i don't like it, it just doesn't go over the vest. If that makes any sense. When i throw on the backpack the straps don't "strap" over the vest nor under the vest. I tried putting the straps under the vest, all it does it puff the vest up and the back part of the best is more or detached from the bottom. Plus its hella uncomfortable with the straps under the vest :/

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You talking about the shoulder straps, right?  The big padded one's, not the one's that go across the chest.

See if you can get a couple of extra buckles from BH and make some extensions for the bottom of the shoulder straps?

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe use the D ring on the shoulder strap to attack it to the chest rig with a carabiner through the molle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#21]
That makes sense.

Maybe with that same thing i could put a line through the molle where it can be automatically detachable and putting it back on may be a bitch, but after everything is done i can go back for it. Im not using this in combat, so i mean its not something that i have to worry about at the moment
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#22]
By backpack, do you mean a larger 3 day type, ALICE type pack with some sort of frame that you pretty much are hauling everything you are taking with you in?

If so, keep it separate from your rig, it'll be too heavy and will shift up and down as well as be a total pain in the ass because you'll practically need to undress to get anything out of it. You want to be able to just drop it if you need to.

Otherwise, if you just wanted a very small lightweight back that's ~1000CU or less that is practically a water bladder with a little extra storage space, look at how the tactical Tailor removable operator pack works with chest rigs/plate carriers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That makes sense.

Maybe with that same thing i could put a line through the molle where it can be automatically detachable and putting it back on may be a bitch, but after everything is done i can go back for it. Im not using this in combat, so i mean its not something that i have to worry about at the moment
View Quote

Even if you are not in combat, if it is difficult to release, reattach, or both you'll eventually just say "fuck it" and not access the pack or leave it off.  

Just put what you'll need immediately on the vest, and everything else in a pack and wear it over the vest.  You may have to rearrange your pouches to not interfere with the pack straps, but it will be a much better set up in the long run.  

Packs attached to the vest make the vest ride all fucked up, pull on your shoulders (lack of waist belt) and require fucked up procedures to access, etc.

ETA:  Never been in combat, but years of hiking, hunting, etc have led me to figure that the more streamlined your gear is the more likely you are to use it.

ETA2:  Just saw you said your pack doesn't fit over the vest.  Straps too short?  Interference?  I'm not sure why it wouldn't fit over.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem "may" be the vest and not the pack (straps) perse.

Without seeing your set up it's almost impossible to suggest a solution.

If you don't want to post pics of you wearing the set up, you might not get a usable answer.

However, a chest rig like this one would provide plenty of freedom of movement and be able to sling a pack over it. It carries a lot of the essentials too.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That makes sense.

View Quote
Honestly, if this isn't a "combat" load, ditch the chest rig/plate carrier and go with a belt system.  Its miles easier to use with a large pack like this.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Not that i don't want to post the photos, I will later on in the day after I get out of work. Ill try to get a couple angles and post up on here afterwords.

As of now I have no photos to show :/
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Not that i don't want to post the photos, I will later on in the day after I get out of work. Ill try to get a couple angles and post up on here afterwords.

View Quote
Just to be clear; you're not using a PC with plates or anything, right?

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

Is that cable some kind of quick release system?

If so, I completely love it because I love gadgets, the less practical the better, but as a "real world" idea it just seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Obviously if it's not what I think it is, please feel free to ignore this post. Or, even better, use it as an inspiration to invent an incredibly cool yet completely impractical quick release system

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope no plates, just plain vest.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If so, I completely love it because I love gadgets, the less practical the better, but as a "real world" idea it just seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Obviously if it's not what I think it is, please feel free to ignore this post. Or, even better, use it as an inspiration to invent an incredibly cool yet completely impractical quick release system

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like.  Aluminum frame under the pack as well.  

Still less weird than those pants Blackhawk (or whoever) sold with the built-in tourniquets.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Yip. Don't attach.
I run a UW gear minute man 762 rig. Like the rig posted a bit above its narrow enough to allow a pack to be worn.

That monster pic up top looks like a cluster fuck of a mess that probably adds 5lbs just in hardware.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#32]
OP, no offense, but some ideas just aren't "good" ideas.

Some things just don't go together no matter how much we want them to.

I am interested in seeing your pics. I could be dead wrong on this.

But I have a feeling that this idea just isn't going to work out. If it was intuitive you wouldn't need to ask. If you have to ask and the solution isn't already posted, you may be overthinking the problem or hoping for a solution that allows you to keep incompatible gear.

I've been there before. sometimes though, you'll have to ditch a lot of cool gear because it was bought separately only to find it doesn't work with other gear so well.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP, no offense, but some ideas just aren't "good" ideas.

Some things just don't go together no matter how much we want them to.

I am interested in seeing your pics. I could be dead wrong on this.

But I have a feeling that this idea just isn't going to work out. If it was intuitive you wouldn't need to ask. If you have to ask and the solution isn't already posted, you may be overthinking the problem or hoping for a solution that allows you to keep incompatible gear.

I've been there before. sometimes though, you'll have to ditch a lot of cool gear because it was bought separately only to find it doesn't work with other gear so well.

View Quote

No offense taken.

It may not work what so ever, but because i never tried mixing the vest with the backpack i was asking some idea and/or ways to use it with what i have. Since pictures would be much better, ill try to get afew later on in the day so it can help.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#34]
What is that snare looking thing on the belt?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Double Post
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rip cord to dump the pack?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eject cord for your shorts once condition brown is surpassed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

lulz activator
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're cruising along and snag a branch and all your shit ejects?  Seems like a Velcro cover would be a good idea...
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Is your plan to change in and out of the gear when mounting and dismounting from a vehicle?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Here is what i am looking at trying to do. Btw it is somewhat uncomfortable to wear the backpack ontop, but not impossible to deal with. Photos are a little hazy strictly because its from a damn front camera cellphone.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This

The last thing you want to do is attach a backpack to a PC. You will never be able to get anything from it and it will be useless, not to mention if you actually want to sit down in a chair or car, you won't be. I don't understand where people get the idea to attach packs to a pc. Is it from games or something?

Also, if you can't put a backpack on over a PC, something is terribly wrong. Get a better backpack. I'm not suggesting a Mystery Ranch, although that's what I use and they are made to go over a PC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't attach it, your chest rig has the essentials it should always be on. The backpack has the extras, it can be left behind.

This

The last thing you want to do is attach a backpack to a PC. You will never be able to get anything from it and it will be useless, not to mention if you actually want to sit down in a chair or car, you won't be. I don't understand where people get the idea to attach packs to a pc. Is it from games or something?

Also, if you can't put a backpack on over a PC, something is terribly wrong. Get a better backpack. I'm not suggesting a Mystery Ranch, although that's what I use and they are made to go over a PC.

Agreed i won't attach it to the PC, makes perfect sense not to. I only brought it up because ive seen people do it. I must have messed around with it in the past in the wrong way because it never complied to the way i wanted to. Now it did....odd feeling it was that it worked haha
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Is that an LA Police Gear operators pack?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I've hiked hundreds of miles over the years with light, and also retarded heavy backpacks, using plate carriers and LBV's; mostly against my will. My conclusion: F**k that! If I could sign a waiver that would allow me to throw my plate carrier/LBV in my pack and hike without, I would in a heartbeat. Dude, just figure out a clip system for your LBV and clip that shit to the top of your pack so you don't have to deal with that garbage. I'd suggest throwing a mag in your cargo pocket. Hell even a drop leg mag pouch thing would be 100% better. You get shot at (or whatever your scenario is), drop your pack, return fire. Un-clip your LBV when you need to move. You're gonna be shit out of luck if you have the whole system strapped to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top