Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2015 4:59:49 PM EDT
Most everyone that follows military aviation likely knows about the competition between the YF-22 and the YF-23 for the U.S. Air Force "Advanced Tactical Fighter" program in the early 1990s. But before the competition was whittled down to the designs from Lockheed and Northrop, there were also two other contenders....one from McDonnell Douglas and one from General Dynamics. Today I would like to focus on the General Dynamics proposal.

Out of all the ATF entries, I perhaps find this one most interesting of them all for a couple of reasons. First, though it is obviously a stealthy design, it has a much more conventional overall appearance than either the YF-22 or YF-23. But what interests me most is that the basic design seems much better suited to carrier operations than any of the other ATF proposals. The large wing area, the lift body design of the fuselage and the leading edge extensions would have likely combined to make the GD entry have very favorable carrier approach speeds and good low speed handling, especially with use of the thrust vectoring nozzles. In many ways, it looks like a more stealthy version of the Eurofighter Typhoon or Dassault Rafale (with also some obvious F-16XL inspiration thrown in), but with leading edge extensions rather than canards found on the Euro designs.

Some artist renderings of this aircraft in an operational navy role:

Just based on the images of this concept, it would appear the General Dynamics entry would have exhibited exceptional agility. But the Air Force didn't particularly like the single vertical tail. Being rather large and oriented straight up/down rather than canted, it offered less all aspect stealth than the competing designs. The sensor pods built into the wings were also supposedly another undesirable trait. And the rather small size of the nose/radome suggest it may not have been able to house a radar on par with the APG-77 that ultimately ended up in the Raptor. However, all three of these shortcomings could have been corrected easily enough.

In the end, the Air Force ended up selecting the top two designs (YF-22 and YF-23) to compete for the ATF role. Those two designs best met their needs. That said, I think the General Dynamics design had the most potential as a carrier based platform and it would have been interesting to see how the Navy would have viewed it had it ended up as one of the finalists. With a few tweaks to the basic design (like in the image below), it could have had some real potential as a NATF.

Ah well, just another interesting "what could have been" in military aviation.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Strikes me as the love child of a F-16XL and a F-22. That trailing edge design is funky.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I know absolutely nothing about fighters......but I got wood.......BUILD IT!
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Strikes me as the love child of a F-16XL and a F-22. That trailing edge design is funky.
View Quote
Was about to say.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]
deltas have terrible energy bleed, no?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
That wing's trailing edge is a fucking mess and would be a nightmare to keep in RCS spec.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That wing's trailing edge is a fucking mess and would be a nightmare to keep in RCS spec.
View Quote

That basic zig-zag pattern has been used effectively on other aircraft.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/badass-b2spirit2.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/badass-b2spirit2.jpg

True.   However:
That proposal has each of the flaps with the saw tooth facing each other.
That makes the 45* reflective edge a variable in the RCS geometry as the hinges wear out.

The B2 is a considerably simpler design and bigger to boot. Making RCS maintenance much easier.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Were any ever built, or was it just theory?

I've seen a few YF-23's in museums.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

No prototypes of this concept were ever made, as it didn't make the final cut.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Was about to say.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was about to say.  

So that's what was seen flying around near White Sands and Groom Lake.  It was known as the "Flying Artichoke" in reports I read.

Supposedly General Dynamics could never get it to fly in its original tailless configuration and the tail had to be added, which cost the design a lot of stealth capability.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No full scale prototypes of this concept were ever made, as it didn't make the final cut.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No full scale prototypes of this concept were ever made, as it didn't make the final cut.  

FIFY

Supposedly a couple of sub-scale prototypes were seen flying at both Groom Lake and White Sands.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#13]
That vertical stabilizer looks too tall for a hanger deck.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That vertical stabilizer looks too tall for a hanger deck.
View Quote

You fold the tail.

Here's an A-5 Vigilante all folded.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Stealth F4D Skyray.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Good find, OP!
Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top