Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2015 1:45:42 AM EDT
My complete rifles obviously came with BCG's.  I've done some lower builds, but bought complete uppers that also came with BCG's.

Now I'm doing an AR-pistol build, and the pistol gas length upper I got on a PSA Black Friday deal does not come with a BCG.  I plan on using the pistol with a SIG SBX brace, and a buffer / spring / tube that come together as a package.

So, back to the BCG....are there pros and cons to getting a 'full auto' cut vs. a 'semi' cut in a semi pistol?  I assume the full auto cut has more weight to it...

Educate me please.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:05:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a full auto bcg, file your firing pin, and boom, instant machinegun.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:07:34 AM EDT
[#2]
M16. I like putting my upper on other people m16 lowers
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:13:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I knew I should have gone to the tech forum  
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Hope your PSA pistol upper runs for you. I was running a heavy buffer and full auto bcg and still had to go with an adjustable gas block to get it to cycle right. But once it was tuned in
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:18:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Non full auto cut carriers have less material, and some say can break easier. Most non full auto cut carriers aren't properly staked, and may not have an MPI/HPT bolt.

Just buy a quality full auto or m16 bcg and be done with it op.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:18:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, in all seriousness I have an LMT with an M16 and SR-15 with a semi auto carrier. No issues from either. If I bought a new one, I'd just get a full auto BCM and call it a day. If I had cycling issues, I'd remedy those by tinkering with the buffer weight and spring before I got a lighter BCG.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:22:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't say for sure, but I have been told bolt weight can be a factor in recoil in a rifle. I can't remember if it lowers recoil or not though. I'd guess it "absorbs" recoil being heavier?

If that's the case, it would be better in a pistol I'd assume. along with the proper buffer.

But people who know what they're talking about will be along shortly.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:25:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hope your PSA pistol upper runs for you. I was running a heavy buffer and full auto bcg and still had to go with an adjustable gas block to get it to cycle right. But once it was tuned in
View Quote

I can't say I ever understood this part.  I have several AR's with varying gas lengths/barrel lengths and never once had to 'tune' the gas.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:26:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ok, in all seriousness I have an LMT with an M16 and SR-15 with a semi auto carrier. No issues from either. If I bought a new one, I'd just get a full auto BCM and call it a day. If I had cycling issues, I'd remedy those by tinkering with the buffer weight and spring before I got a lighter BCG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I had figured.  Thanks for the confirmation
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:35:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I won't claim to understand it either. I just know that I tried everything I could to get the rifle to cycle, finally went with an  adjustable gas block and now it works 100%
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:28:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Milspec m16 because full circle at the rear and the part that contacts the hammer.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:10:06 AM EDT
[#12]
None of the fan bois will give you street cred.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:16:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I bet that upper is hella over gassed.
Get the full auto carrier.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:18:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You've got to write a letter to the ATF tech branch first.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

you could sell liberals  on this
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Who even makes half moon cut anymore.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Why are semi auto carriers even still made?

Why were they created in the first place? I'm assuming some feel good lawyer crap.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Full auto BCG

Let your rounds soak in water for a few days to soften up the primers, and then you'll be rockin it on FA

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I use full auto bolt carriers in both my pistol and SBR.  Also had to use an Heavy buffer.  But they both run great now
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Non full auto cut carriers have less material, and some say can break easier..
View Quote

I voted full auto but this is
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why were they created in the first place? I'm assuming some feel good lawyer crap.
View Quote

My ban-era AR15 had semi carrier.  I assume the AWB had something to do with this?

I recall after the ban, if you didn't have an M16 carrier your wife was cheating on you and there was a high likelihood that you were gay.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#22]
There's zero reason for the AR15 cut bolt carrier.  Get the M16 model.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because the ATF issued a bulletin to all FFL's back in the mid 1980's that said having ANY full auto components in an AR-15 was considered a machinegun.

Around 2005 Colt wrote the ATF a letter asking if installing a Full Auto BCG constituted making a machinegun.  

ATF s did not specifically endorse the use of a full auto BCG, but stated if the addition of the full auto carrier did not allow the rifle to fire more than one shot per single function of the trigger it was not a machinegun under the NFA.

Therefore Colt began shipping their rifles with the Full Auto profile BCG's and soon everyone else began to follow suit.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#24]
If any of your other ARs have a semi BCG get the M16 cut one, if it does not cycle properly just swap with an AR cut one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#25]
How come all the CHROME BCG's I've seen have the AR cut?  Does anyone make a Chrome carrier with the M16 cut?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#26]
M16 carrier, "semi" carrier is pointless and gay.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
<snip>"semi" carrier is pointless and gay.

View Quote

they seem to be pretty important in the older colts that had the "sear blocks". if your using normal parts than buy a standard bolt carrier group, if your using retarded parts than get a retarded bolt carrier group.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#28]
The reason the cut AR15 carrier is in existence is to make the bolt carrier, hammer, and firing pin bind up if you attempted remove the connector.

The notch exposes the rear of the firing pin to the notched hammer, and if the hammer was still tripped as the bolt slid back into battery, the notch cut into the ban area bolt carrier would ride up and catch the edge of the exposed firing pin thus jamming your rifle.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My complete rifles obviously came with BCG's.  I've done some lower builds, but bought complete uppers that also came with BCG's.

Now I'm doing an AR-pistol build, and the pistol gas length upper I got on a PSA Black Friday deal does not come with a BCG.  I plan on using the pistol with a SIG SBX brace, and a buffer / spring / tube that come together as a package.

So, back to the BCG....are there pros and cons to getting a 'full auto' cut vs. a 'semi' cut in a semi pistol?  I assume the full auto cut has more weight to it...

Educate me please.
View Quote

The Full Auto cut BCG's seem to be more reliable to me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My ban-era AR15 had semi carrier.  I assume the AWB had something to do with this?

I recall after the ban, if you didn't have an M16 carrier your wife was cheating on you and there was a high likelihood that you were gay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AWB had nothing to do with the bolt carrier group.  The BCG wasn't one of the 'evil features', like bayonet lugs, pistol grips, folding stocks, etc.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Damn! I've never seen more BS in all my life. There is zero advantages to using a auto carrier over a SA carrier in an
AR15. Anyone who believes otherwise  is just plain ignorant. Luckily
ignorance can be cured. The only difference between a semi and auto carrier is a very small amount is cut back more on the semi. The amount cut back is so it cannot trip an auto sear. The difference in weight is .3 grams, that's 1/100 of an ounce.  Anyone who believes that 1/100 of an ounce will make any difference in the operation of the action in an AR15 is just plain stupid, for that, sadly, there is no cure.

ETA:  Now the old Colt half circle carriers, that's a different thing. Those were just plain stupid from conception.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Heres a hint, nearly every single phosphate BCG in the US, started life at Toolcraft
get M16 carriers always, how it this even a question
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Heres a hint, nearly every single phosphate BCG in the US, started life at Toolcraft

get M16 carriers always, how it this even a question
View Quote
Exactly, and auto carriers are much more common, the reason I use them. And I do use Toolcraft, cage code 1b1b6.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#34]
There's really no reason NOT to have an auto BCG.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
Unless  your looking for reduced weight/recoil but a plain SA carrier isn't going to give you either. There are plenty of specialty carriers designed for low mass.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Unless  your looking for reduced weight/recoil but a plain SA carrier isn't going to give you either. There are plenty of specialty carriers designed for low mass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, in the context of SA vs auto, not specialty BCGs. Should have specified.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#37]
The only excuse for running a semi-auto BCG is if you have a Registered Lightning Link.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#38]
JP Low Mass

Just kidding. BCM FA carrier.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Damn! I've never seen more BS in all my life. There is zero advantages to using a auto carrier over a SA carrier in an AR15. Anyone who believes otherwise  is just plain ignorant. Luckily ignorance can be cured. The only difference between a semi and auto carrier is a very small amount is cut back more on the semi. The amount cut back is so it cannot trip an auto sear. The difference in weight is .3 grams, that's 1/100 of an ounce.  Anyone who believes that 1/100 of an ounce will make any difference in the operation of the action in an AR15 is just plain stupid, for that, sadly, there is no cure.

ETA:  Now the old Colt half circle carriers, that's a different thing. Those were just plain stupid from conception.
View Quote

Add the unshrouded firing pins to your list of ignorance.
Driving the hammer with the firing pin, instead of the bolt carrier, is my biggest gripe with them.

m16 is m16. Plenty of ways to skin the semi cat, and god only knows what fuckery was decided upon.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Full-auto.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

reported. ATF is on the way, I wrote them a letter too.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gun show  loophole. Public believes it and votes.  Kicker is, how many machine gun homicides in the last 4 decades?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#43]
What ever is on sale that is of a respected quality manufacturer.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I won't claim to understand it either. I just know that I tried everything I could to get the rifle to cycle, finally went with an  adjustable gas block and now it works 100%
View Quote

Bet the gas port and prior block overlapped, or block wasn't centered properly,resulting in it being under gassed. You added a new block and that solved the problem...ie the holes lined up
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Price looks good....

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGX&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+BCG-X+.223%2f5.56+9310+MPI+Nitride+Bolt+NiB+Carrier+Group&groupid=723

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Out of curiosity, I just went through the safe and checked the BCG's in all my rifles.  Having not paid specific attention before, I was surprised to see that they were all 'full auto' cut BCG's.  Not having had any cycling problems with any of them...from different manufacturers...I guess I'll stick with what has been working.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The only excuse for running a semi-auto BCG is if you have a Registered Lightning Link.

View Quote

You mean an Auto Connector?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top