Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2015 10:35:55 AM EDT
I've always wondered about this. Both of my dogs do this sometimes when getting belly rubs or whatever. One is a puggle mix and the other is a flat coat retriever mix. It's not like they don't want the attention or belly rub. Both are attention and physical affection whores... Are they setting boundaries of personal space? Stretching? Or is it something else? If they didn't want the contact they could just get up and walk away...

What do y'all think?

1DD
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Our dog just did it to me when I woke her up and rubbed her belly.  She does it all the time.  I do not know why.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#2]
you're creepy?
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#3]
OST.
WTF. All my dogs do it. Has been perplexing me for years.
Waiting for logical answer.

Edit. Some of my dogs put their forearm on your arm when petting them. Assuming its a form of return affection.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#4]
They are asking for high fives, duh.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I've always wondered about this.  Every dog I've ever had, does this on occasion.

Strangely, I've seen them sleep like this too - with their legs stretched straight out.  

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Stop whispering "Red rocket" at them when you rub their belly.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Now show me on the stuffed toy where the human touched you.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#8]
They lack thumbs.
I think if they could grab you then pull the petting hand in they would.
My rott will stiff arm then hook his paw around your forearm and try to pull in.
His size allows him to circle the wrist, small dog it seems like batting away.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#9]
You mean like they brace up for for a belly rub? Beagle does this. Bracing will occur against any convenient object; either a part of your anatomy or wall, furniture, etc. The best was a paw planted (ever so gently and politely ) dead center of my step-father's forehead. The more legs that can be braced, the better.

I always figured it was isometric petting enhancement.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Haha! Both are females, so no red rockets. I'm only creepy in that I enjoy the company of dogs over most people...

"isometric petting enhancement" : perfect answer!

1DD
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Cats do it sometimes with the added bonus of biscuit making w/ their paws. My male cat does that when he comes to snuggle at ~3AM.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I always assumed they were somehow stretching but I really have no idea.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#13]
You're the Devil Dog, you tell us!

But yeah, my Boxer does the stiff arm and also puts her paw on your forearm when you are petting her. No idea why.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always assumed they were somehow stretching but I really have no idea.
View Quote

All of our dogs do this too. Our wiener dog gets freakishly long when she stretches out for a belly rub.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#15]
They're possessed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I agree, they do it to get the best petting experience.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They lack thumbs.
I think if they could grab you then pull the petting hand in they would.
My rott will stiff arm then hook his paw around your forearm and try to pull in.
His size allows him to circle the wrist, small dog it seems like batting away.
View Quote

Like this?

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Dominance. They don't want to completely submit.  

No big deal, most all of them do it.  Doesn't mean they need peed on or an alpha roll
View Quote

this too sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No big deal, most all of them do it.  Doesn't mean they need peed on or an alpha roll
View Quote

This.  Next time, try putting your arm on theirs when they do it.  I got into a slap fight with my in-laws dog doing this.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.  Next time, try putting your arm on theirs when they do it.  I got into a slap fight with my in-laws dog doing this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My cats and dogs do this.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#22]
My GSD does this.  I always thought she was trying to pull me in to make sure the petting lasts longer.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#23]
My choc lab does the stiff arm, and he also paws at us a lot like the pic above. Not sure?
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#24]
My personal theory: They're pack animals. When they see a member of their pack petting them they try to emulate that behavior back to the best of their ability. Since they don't have arms they do the best they can with their paws. Or in other words dogs are trying to pet their humans.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm only creepy in that I enjoy the company of dogs over most people...

View Quote

In this day and age, that ain't creepy at all.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My personal theory: They're pack animals. When they see a member of their pack petting them they try to emulate that behavior back to the best of their ability. Since they don't have arms they do the best they can with their paws. Or in other words dogs are trying to pet their humans.
View Quote

this too, sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Haha! Both are females, so no red rockets. I'm only creepy in that I enjoy the company of dogs over most people...

"isometric petting enhancement" : perfect answer!

1DD
View Quote

A lot of people here enjoy their pets more than people, me included. All of our dogs do this, not the red rocket part but the leg stretch.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They lack thumbs.

Like this?

In for the win
Thumbs or lack of = control of world.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#29]
One of mine will put her leg over your arm while you're petting her. She doesn't want you to stop, but she makes it hard to pet her. It's weird.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've always wondered about this. Both of my dogs do this sometimes when getting belly rubs or whatever. One is a puggle mix and the other is a flat coat retriever mix. It's not like they don't want the attention or belly rub. Both are attention and physical affection whores... Are they setting boundaries of personal space? Stretching? Or is it something else? If they didn't want the contact they could just get up and walk away...

What do y'all think?

1DD
View Quote

Lol I always wondered this is too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I think it's return affection. They like the way our "paws" feel when we pet them, so maybe they're just trying to return the favor. Whatever it is, just the fact that dogs make us wonder such things about them is part of what makes them so cool and why they are such a source of happiness for their owners.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Not sure either. I don't think I buy the bit about it being the last attempt to assert dominance, as they tend to do it when they're seeking to be petted more... which seems a more submissive activity.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I tend to think that there is a dominance angle here to some degree. Both dogs are completely submissive but I think there is an instinct to always challenge the alpha even in a submissive way. On the other hand, when a dog leans on you or head butts it can be either dominance or seeking reassurance. Anna (the retriever mix) is my baby since we got her and we immediately bonded. She will come and put the top of her head against my chest and push so i will scratch her neck. We call her "hug". Maybe the stiff leg is like this, a physical connection to signal a deeper connection to the alpha...

Thanks for all the interesting replies!

1DD
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OST.
WTF. All my dogs do it. Has been perplexing me for years.
Waiting for logical answer.

Edit. Some of my dogs put their forearm on your arm when petting them. Assuming its a form of return affection.
View Quote

Dominance.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What do y'all think?

1DD
View Quote

I have a 2 year old Bernese Mountain dog. She's always wanting me to pet her belly and chest but she always extends her leg to where it is in the way to pet her. Same like she always hooks my arm with her paw when I put her while she is sitting down. Anyone who has a Berner knows what it is like to have a gigantic paw smack them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#37]
The "arm hook" thing turns into a nut punch when I'm sitting.

Combine that with 5 pounds of tail at sack level and I get nutShotted by the dag 10-15 times a day.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#38]
I feel your pain man. Anna's tail is dangerous! Nutted me many a time. Never owned a dog before that had a tail like that... We call her "Anna the Destroyer" and the story of her life would be "A tail of destruction".

1DD
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top