Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2016 6:30:08 AM EDT

1900Hyman Rickover, American admiral the "Father of the Nuclear Navy” was born in Makow, Russia (now Poland). He emigrated to the United States with his family in 1906.  He served on active duty with the United States Navy for more than 63 years, receiving exemptions from the mandatory retirement age due to his critical service in the building of the United States Navy’s nuclear surface and submarine force. He died at home in Arlington, Virginia, on July 8, 1986 and was buried in Section 5 at Arlington National Cemetery

63 years on active duty!

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#2]
There's hope for WowPro yet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Reagan had to call him to the White House and force him to retire, from what I've heard.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Reagan had to call him to the White House and force him to retire, from what I've heard.  

View Quote
He was the original hard ass.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#5]
My friends dad was locked in a closet for hours during his interview with him. Although I'm sure he's rolling in his grave if he can see how is program is running nowadays. I like his quotes though.

"More than ambition, more than ability, it is rules that limit contribution; rules are the lowest common denominator of human behavior. They are a substitute for rational thought"

Applies to more than nuclear power too
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My friends dad was locked in a closet for hours during his interview with him. Although I'm sure he's rolling in his grave if he can see how is program is running nowadays. I like his quotes though.

"More than ambition, more than ability, it is rules that limit contribution; rules are the lowest common denominator of human behavior. They are a substitute for rational thought"

View Quote

I suspect the program is still run by his rules for the most part.  Those guys revere him like a god.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
how many nuclear accidents has the navy had?

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't they just announce that a 688 boat has been leaking hot water for months if not years, it visited several ports in that time. Nothing like what the Sovs had for a record but shit does happen.

Rickover was an asshole. He got shit done, but he was an asshole.  Growing up my best friends father was a retired bubble head that was one of Rickovers "disciples", he got sent to siberia and the whole works.  The stories were impressive.

One of the best things I've read on the subject was when one of Rickovers safety inspection teams tried to delay a projects boat from leaving port.  Captain said "brickbat 01" get off my boat, we're leaving. Don't like it? talk to the president.  

Supposedly that really got under the "kindly old gentlemans" saddle.  That guy would end careers for breakfast and his wrath was legendary.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

zero as far as I know.  There's a reason the nukes live their lives based on rules.  It's complicated and I don't really like nukes, but they have a specific way they work and it makes sense in their world.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#10]
PBS recently did an almost 2-hr documentary on Rickover that is available for watching for free for those with Amazon Prime. There are some hokey re-enactments in it, but worth watching.

Here's the link for streaming it on Amazon Prime:

Rickover: The Birth of Nuclear Power (2014)

Here's the trailer at YouTube:

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

zero as far as I know.  There's a reason the nukes live their lives based on rules.  It's complicated and I don't really like nukes, but they have a specific way they work and it makes sense in their world.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SL-1, Idaho Falls 1961. Though there are some out there that contend it was less an accident and more a murder/suicide.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#12]
He was equally the best and the worst.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

SL-1, Idaho Falls 1961. Though there are some out there that contend it was less an accident and more a murder/suicide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SL-1 was an Army reactor...
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#14]
See sigline, that was spoken at ADM Rickover's promotion to FO.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Navy Nuclear Reactor program grinds human talent in a nuclear reactor to turn into steam.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected. When I hear Idaho Falls, I always think Navy nuclear power.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I stand corrected. When I hear Idaho Falls, I always think Navy nuclear power.
View Quote

There was a Navy EM2 at the site, who, as I recall was one of the three killed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Chaim Godalia Rickover

Happy Birthday

Amazing man with an amazing career
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

never knew this

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I worked for the MF'r for six years.  Well, sorta.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top