Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/3/2016 3:00:00 PM EDT
Kurt Russell didn't get the message they were supposed to switch guitar to a fake one before he smashed it up. Guitar was on loan from the Martin museum.

Link

Amidst all the violence in Quentin Tarantino’s latest film “The Hateful Eight” is the scene in which John Ruth, played by Kurt Russell, grabs a guitar from Daisy Domergue, played by Jennifer Jason Leigh, and smashes it, eliciting horror.

“What was supposed to happen was we were supposed to go up to that point, cut and trade guitars and smash the double,” explains the film’s Academy Award-winning sound mixer Mark Ulano, as quoted in SSNInsider.com. “Well, somehow that didn’t get communicated to Kurt, so when you see that happen on the frame, Jennifer’s reaction is genuine.”

The victim was an authentic Martin from the 1870s, on loan from the Martin Guitar Museum, Ulano said, and everyone was pretty freaked out when they realized what happened. “Tarantino was in a corner of the room with a funny curl on his lips, because he got something out of it with the performance,” Ulano added.

Martin Museum representatives asked only two questions when informed about the destruction of the loaner, according to SSNInsider.com: “Do you need another one?" And "Can we please have all the pieces to display in our museum?”
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Shall be hanged by the neck until dead dead dead.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
FQT
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty stupid to have it there in the first place.
That kind of stuff is bound to happen.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd wager a week's pay that Tarantino made this happen on purpose.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Guess it wasn't so priceless if the Martin guys didn't give a fuck.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This... I don't understand why they were using it to begin with.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#7]

I don't get why they were using an almost 150 year old guitar in the first place.  Why the hell didn't they just use a replica for the entire scene?  

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Figures Taratino would smile about it.  Hopefully some drunken stooge at a party at his house destroys something valuable to him.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't get why they were using an almost 150 year old guitar in the first place.  Why the hell didn't they just use a replica for the entire scene?  

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Oops.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah why not use a replica, but tell the other actress that it's genuine. Then she'd still have the same natural horrified reaction, and everyone goes home happy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

because this gets press like a month after the movie comes out.

i have no doubt it was staged.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah this is horrifying yet no one here seemed to mind Miculek butchering a c96 into a star wars blaster.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sounds like it.

Tarantino was in a corner of the room with a funny curl on his lips, because he got something out of it with the performance

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Staged for free press.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was thinking this too, just to get a genuine reaction out of Leigh.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah this is horrifying yet no one here seemed to mind Miculek butchering a c96 into a star wars blaster.
View Quote

How many of those guitars were produced compared to the broom handle ?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Waste of a good guitar for a shitty movie.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Ouch!

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Daaamn...the museum was pretty cool about it, though.  They should have Kurt Russell sign a piece and display it.  I bet he'd be more than happy to do it to make up for busting it up!
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.  He's taken a page from Kubrick's book.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

This. If I was Tarantino I would have used a replica but told everyone but Kurt that it was a priceless antique for the sake of getting good reactions.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got the impression from his video that he borrowed one that was already pre-butchered for his convenience.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Considering that broomhandles are awesome, and Star Wars is awesome due to Han Solo. A fully functional repro of his blaster is still awesome, and the purists that have an issue with it can go and suck a chode for all I care. C96 broomhandle mausers are not priceless by any stretch of the word.

Now, a hand made premium 150 year old guitar (which would've been rare, even back then, due to their price) on the other hand...

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smarmy Guinea faggot.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep it should have been a fake to begin with.  What is even worse was it was destroyed making that movie.

I saw it and it really kind of sucked.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Martin is just going to put the pieces on display and have a giant sign telling how it was destroyed in this movie.
The guitar is probably 200% more interesting now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#29]
After reading this I am going to go home and hug my Martin. Who am I kidding, I hug my Martin everyday anyway and it isn't 150 years old and rare.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Martin produced 182 instruments in 1901, so I imagine 1870 production was less. That 182 number is total instruments including mandolins and ukuleles ...not just guitars.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah why not use a replica, but tell the other actress that it's genuine. Then she'd still have the same natural horrified reaction, and everyone goes home happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True....they did the same thing with plastic baby dolls and telling the actor it is a real one.

Odds are they did it on purpose.  Why?  Because Taratino is why
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Martin produced 182 instruments in 1901, so I imagine 1870 production was less. That 182 number is total instruments including mandolins and ukuleles ...not just guitars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And how many have survived until now?  I can't imagine what was the thought process of having that instrument on a movie set.  The percentage of movie goers who would know the difference between a replica and original is about .0005%.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And how many have survived until now?  I can't imagine what was the thought process of having that instrument on a movie set.  The percentage of movie goers who would know the difference between a replica and original is about .0005%.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"While the film earns points for authenticity in terms of the guitar, the song played by Domergue is the traditional Australian folk ballad "Jim Jones at Botany Bay," which was published in 1907, almost four decades after when the film was set."

Hah!  So much for authenticity....
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Kirk Russell didn't get the message they were supposed to switch guitar to a fake one before he smashed it up.
View Quote

Kirk Russel? Is that Kurt's retarded cousin or something ?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#35]
This is why you don't loan out nice things.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Martin is just going to put the pieces on display and have a giant sign telling how it was destroyed in this movie.

View Quote
if that makes an old guitar more interesting, why dont they loan out all of their pieces to be destroyed by celebrities?

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Like Solomon.

The horror.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Kirk?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Poor Guitar
Martin is my Favorite, made in Nazareth, PA, since 1833.
Probably Americas oldest Family owned business, still owned and operated by the same Families descendants.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
if that makes an old guitar more interesting, why dont they loan out all of their pieces to be destroyed by celebrities?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only two questions  Martin asked them was if they could return the pieces, and if they needed another guitar.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#42]
^^^^^^^^ Unbelievable-And, It's not like CF Martin Guitars will 'make out' on the publicity factor either.
Jerk move!
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Kirk?
View Quote

Kirk.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#44]
The Guitar would have been insured so Martin got paid.

There was a scene in the new Battlestar Galactica series where the actor playing Adam decided to ad lib a scene and destroyed a ship model.  He didn't know the model was on loan from a museum and worth $$$.  It was insured as well.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Kirk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kirk?

Kirk.

Kurt.  OP fat fingered the keyboard.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Prob bullshit
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

lol no shits given, eh?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kirk Russell didn't get the message they were supposed to switch guitar to a fake one before he smashed it up. Guitar was on loan from the Martin museum.

Link

Amidst all the violence in Quentin Tarantino’s latest film "The Hateful Eight” is the scene in which John Ruth, played by Kurt Russell, grabs a guitar from Daisy Domergue, played by Jennifer Jason Leigh, and smashes it, eliciting horror.

"What was supposed to happen was we were supposed to go up to that point, cut and trade guitars and smash the double,” explains the film’s Academy Award-winning sound mixer Mark Ulano, as quoted in SSNInsider.com. "Well, somehow that didn’t get communicated to Kurt, so when you see that happen on the frame, Jennifer’s reaction is genuine.”

The victim was an authentic Martin from the 1870s, on loan from the Martin Guitar Museum, Ulano said, and everyone was pretty freaked out when they realized what happened. "Tarantino was in a corner of the room with a funny curl on his lips, because he got something out of it with the performance,” Ulano added.

Martin Museum representatives asked only two questions when informed about the destruction of the loaner, according to SSNInsider.com: "Do you need another one?" And "Can we please have all the pieces to display in our museum?”
lol no shits given, eh?  
It probably gave a good bump in value to the rest of their collection.

Plus a guitar that is that old is never really destroyed. If you have the pieces, I bet they can piece it back together. Never be able to play again, though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
lol no shits given, eh?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kirk Russell didn't get the message they were supposed to switch guitar to a fake one before he smashed it up. Guitar was on loan from the Martin museum.

Link

Amidst all the violence in Quentin Tarantino’s latest film "The Hateful Eight” is the scene in which John Ruth, played by Kurt Russell, grabs a guitar from Daisy Domergue, played by Jennifer Jason Leigh, and smashes it, eliciting horror.

"What was supposed to happen was we were supposed to go up to that point, cut and trade guitars and smash the double,” explains the film’s Academy Award-winning sound mixer Mark Ulano, as quoted in SSNInsider.com. "Well, somehow that didn’t get communicated to Kurt, so when you see that happen on the frame, Jennifer’s reaction is genuine.”

The victim was an authentic Martin from the 1870s, on loan from the Martin Guitar Museum, Ulano said, and everyone was pretty freaked out when they realized what happened. "Tarantino was in a corner of the room with a funny curl on his lips, because he got something out of it with the performance,” Ulano added.

Martin Museum representatives asked only two questions when informed about the destruction of the loaner, according to SSNInsider.com: "Do you need another one?" And "Can we please have all the pieces to display in our museum?”
lol no shits given, eh?  

People who goto the museum to see the old guitar = 7
People who goto the museum to see the pieces of the old guitar as destroyed on screen in the movie The Hateful 8 = 1000
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
lol no shits given, eh?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

lol no shits given, eh?  

that's what i'm saying lol   i'm picturing that grim reaper in a santa suit comic for some reason.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kirk Russell didn't get the message they were supposed to switch guitar to a fake one before he smashed it up.

Why are you so offended that I misspelled his name? Are you the president of his fan club? Gay? Decorator? All three?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top