Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Do the model / hobby companies now provide CAD or print files to replicate small model parts?  How does that work?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have this exact printer as a desk toy at work. it's a lot of fun.  Only an 80mm x 3 print area though.  And it only prints with PLA. It can't do nylon or ABS.

The model companies don't provide anything in terms of print files, but you can design your own, whatever you want in a few different simple 3D drawing/CAD programs, and you can download tons of part files from various discussion boards devoted to hobbies. Quadcopters/Drones and RC aircraft seem to be the best represented with parts to print so far. Or you can get files for all sorts of things besides hobby/model parts at big collection sites like thingiverse.com
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do the model / hobby companies now provide CAD or print files to replicate small model parts?  How does that work?

I have this exact printer as a desk toy at work. it's a lot of fun.  Only an 80mm x 3 print area though.  And it only prints with PLA. It can't do nylon or ABS.

The model companies don't provide anything in terms of print files, but you can design your own, whatever you want in a few different simple 3D drawing/CAD programs, and you can download tons of part files from various discussion boards devoted to hobbies. Quadcopters/Drones and RC aircraft seem to be the best represented with parts to print so far. Or you can get files for all sorts of things besides hobby/model parts at big collection sites like thingiverse.com

Cool, thanks.  I have a hard time justifying a 3D printer, but when the weather gets better, I plan to start flying planes again.  That would be very handy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can it print wax?  How fine can it print?: (in not sure on terminology)

I'm thinking of doing some lost wax casting for small parts.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#6]
You can get a much better Prusa setup now for ~200 bucks, instead of that small POS.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. I'm not aware of any hobbiest wax printers.  I have heard of someone trying to develop a wax like filament for those purposes. No clue how close or if/when it will hit market. I'm betting the price wouldn't make it worth it.

You can do "lost plastic" casting. Many folks have.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm looking at Prusa's site, and see only their $599 and $859 printer. http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/#_ga=1.192462691.837020660.1455736473

If you've got links to others, something that's ~$200, I'd love to find that.

And yeah, I'll re-state the Fabirkator Mini is really a "toy", and that's how I use it. I make PLA knick-knacks on it to entertain my co-workers. But it's a good low-cost easy startup to learn the basics of 3D printing on.  And a good way to print off Minecraft figurines and other junk your kids will ask for, while your other "real" printer is busy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can get a much better Prusa setup now for ~200 bucks, instead of that small POS.

I'm looking at Prusa's site, and see only their $599 and $859 printer. http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/#_ga=1.192462691.837020660.1455736473

And yeah, I'll re-state the Fabirkator Mini is really a "toy", and that's how I use it. I make PLA knick-knacks on it to entertain my co-workers. But it's a good low-cost easy startup to learn the basics of 3D printing on.  And a good way to print off Minecraft figurines and other junk your kids will ask for, while your other "real" printer is busy.

I'd be interested in other options in this price range as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#11]
What kind of tolerances can 3d printers hold?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Too small a table area for almost anything I'd want to do.  Double that is better, but still rather small.  Things like that are fun to play with, but unless you're planning on only making small parts it's a waste of money.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prusa is a style, not a brand. That website just happens to use the name "Prusa 3d."

Many budget places out there that have Prusas in the ~200 range. 3dprinterstoreonline often has sales and right now has multiple Prusas in that range.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What kind of tolerances can 3d printers hold?
View Quote

What kind of MOA can a gun shoot?

Very broad question there. It differs in each axis. Two axis will essentially be limited by the nozzle size and slicing program, 1 will essentially be limited by material.  Painting with a VERY broad brush here, you can easily get 1 mil resolution on the Z axis. X & Y is dependent on the design, and extrusion pattern. However, you can think of it as having a ~ 15 mil bit on a CNC. You can get extrusion nozzles smaller than that, but 0.4 mm is fairly standard.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Oh geebus, you fukkers are going to make spend money

I dont really know anything about these gizmos, but this one looks interesting
https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.com/slimbot-3d-printer-kit

Thinking just the basic setup to play around with, unless some of the options are must haves.

What hive sayeth
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Mattel announces $300 3D printer for children, including design software and toy library from Autodesk: Link
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thinking just the basic setup to play around with, unless some of the options are must haves.

What hive sayeth
View Quote

One center stabilizing beam - that thing is going to have BAD vibrations. aka crap quality prints unless your movements are very slow in the print.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mattel announces $300 3D printer for children, including design software and toy library from Autodesk: Link
View Quote

I have enough children already.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:45:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:07:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What's your opinion of the $600 on down delta-arm printers they have?

I'd prefer one that uses Repetier Host and Cura if possible, and nylon, metal-fill fillament capable.

https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.com/product/delta/he-3d-mega-delta-3d-printer-kit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What hive sayeth

One center stabilizing beam - that thing is going to have BAD vibrations. aka crap quality prints unless your movements are very slow in the print.

What's your opinion of the $600 on down delta-arm printers they have?

I'd prefer one that uses Repetier Host and Cura if possible, and nylon, metal-fill fillament capable.

https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.com/product/delta/he-3d-mega-delta-3d-printer-kit

I cant comment on Deltas, never used one.

Personally I wouldn't want to do polar coordinate conversions when trying to calibrate my stepper motors. Much easier to do that in XYZ coordinate frames.  There might be someone on this site that has a delta, maybe they can comment on that experience.

You can use just about anything with Repetier Host. Actually, aside from professional 6 digit cost printers, I dont know what cant be used with Repetier. As for the various filament types, the all metal hot ends can typically handle them all. The PTFE lined ones are more limited in what they can use, due to temp limits.

I'm all about Slicr for slicing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

And yeah, I'll re-state the Fabirkator Mini is really a "toy", and that's how I use it. I make PLA knick-knacks on it to entertain my co-workers. But it's a good low-cost easy startup to learn the basics of 3D printing on. And a good way to print off Minecraft figurines and other junk your kids will ask for, while your other "real" printer is busy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And yeah, I'll re-state the Fabirkator Mini is really a "toy", and that's how I use it. I make PLA knick-knacks on it to entertain my co-workers. But it's a good low-cost easy startup to learn the basics of 3D printing on. And a good way to print off Minecraft figurines and other junk your kids will ask for, while your other "real" printer is busy.

Those are the same printer I think.  The $599 one is a kit you have to build while the $859 one is already built and tested.  I was looking at these the other day and am almost sold but still doing research.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#24]

My kung fu wasn't powerful enough, one of these is on the way thanks to you bastards

Hopefully decent enough to goof around with until I figure out wtf is going on and upgrade from there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My kung fu wasn't powerful enough, one of these is on the way thanks to you bastards

Hopefully decent enough to goof around with until I figure out wtf is going on and upgrade from there.
View Quote
220V, 250W, 50Hz.

You got a place to plug that in?

Nevermind.  Saw it comes with the power supply based on customer location.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:40:55 AM EDT
[#26]

I saw thought the same thing at first.
I think a 20% overclock is the manly thing to do and allows you to turn it up to 11

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I am looking for a recommendation for a 3d printer to be used by teenagers for science projects and competition (robotic).  So I need the ability for multiple filament including ABS and the flexible stuff.  What the teenagers cannot produce can be sent out, but that takes too long and affects the ability of the team to turnaround improvements.

This is garage type work for robot competition that is different from battle bots most of us know.  The competitions are organized in the middle school and high school classes with some open classes.

I was looking Prusa i3 kits, but saw the the recommendation above for the Electron 3D Simbot.  I have no idea about what the options mean for the Electron 3D Simbot (auto leveling... sounds good, pro print head... sounds like must have for our needs, etc.)

We have a competing team just four garage doors down in the neighborhood, but hey, trade secrets apparently get in the way.

So, Prusa or Electron?  I like the Electron price better, but worried as to which one is more accurate with movement.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#28]
M3D

I got one through their kickstarter.  It's small but works fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top