Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2016 12:33:19 PM EDT
Currently I'm renting an apartment and will likely be buying my first real house in the next few years, so I'm probably a bit naive in property ownership.  Tell me if this idea is completely crazy or not.

I've always wanted to get a property with an old barn, something pre-1900, and fix it up to resemble something of a castle.  I grew up on an old farm with barn built in the 1840s, so I know the kind of upkeep that these things need and what to look for in a stable vs. doomed structure I'm not talking about building it from the ground up in 12 months, I'm thinking of this as being a long-term project.  Also, the intent is not to be "modern", I prefer the old 1700s wood and stone rustic look and feel.  Got my inspiration from Stone barn castle (below) here in NY as well as from the old European forts that you can find here in the Northeast.  Old Fort Niagra and the likes.

Ideas include:
-Installing a staircase in the silo and replacing the top with something more like a turret.
-Building rooms and hallways in the open loft areas
-Turning at least a portion into a livable space with beds, fireplace, kitchen, etc.  Don't necessarily need electricity and whatnot, this isn't supposed to be a permanent residency.
-Replacing the usual sliding barn doors with big heavy wooden doors like you think of in a castle.
-Workshop with your basic tools in addition to a forge (Blacksmithing has been a hobby of mine for some time)
-Armory for guns and other weapons (always wanted a black powder cannon)

So what do you all think?  Is this a crazy endeavor doomed to failure?  Would it require a "small loan of a million dollars"?  Should I give up and move into my parents basement?  Is even a fraction of this feasible?
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure it's crazy.  Don't let that stop you.  

Your first step after acquiring the property is to buy a camper or better yet a used single wide mobile home for the duration of the project.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your first step after acquiring the property is to buy a camper or better yet a used single wide mobile home for the duration of the project.
View Quote

LOL.  Means: live in said for entire life.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Haha, sounds about right.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Possible?  Sure, but you better have a king's ransom for a budget for your 'castle'.

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#5]
A more realistic approach would be to convert an old barn into a house that looks like an old barn.  Even that is going to be expensive compared to a conventional house.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Google slip form stone house

A lot of people build stuff like this. End result is sweet. But it's gotta be some backbreaking labor without heavy equipment.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Needs more moat and drawbridge.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Google slip form stone house

A lot of people build stuff like this. End result is sweet. But it's gotta be some backbreaking labor without heavy equipment.
View Quote

That's some pretty cool stuff.  I'm not opposed to building from scratch, especially with the rising industry of pre-fab barns and the like.  I just figured an old barn would be cheaper to build off of.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm supposed to break ground on my house in the next month.  You will spend 40% or more, more than you thought.  

That's all j can offer for now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Needs more moat and drawbridge.
View Quote

Moat is probably out of the question, but a drawbridge could be rigged up I think!
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The nice way I saw to do this was to move the RV into the barn to reduce your heating/cooling variations while you remake part of the barn into an apartment.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Anything is possible, for a price...  Why don't you just build a castle?  We have one here in Boise.

http://www.boisearchitecture.org/structuredetail.php?id=1385

http://boisecastle.com/
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Only crazy if barn castle turns to rape dungeon.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Currently I'm renting an apartment and will likely be buying my first real house in the next few years, so I'm probably a bit naive in property ownership.  Tell me if this idea is completely crazy or not.

I've always wanted to get a property with an old barn, something pre-1900, and fix it up to resemble something of a castle.  I grew up on an old farm with barn built in the 1840s, so I know the kind of upkeep that these things need and what to look for in a stable vs. doomed structure I'm not talking about building it from the ground up in 12 months, I'm thinking of this as being a long-term project.  Also, the intent is not to be "modern", I prefer the old 1700s wood and stone rustic look and feel.  Got my inspiration from Stone barn castle (below) here in NY as well as from the old European forts that you can find here in the Northeast.  Old Fort Niagra and the likes.
https://stonebarncastle.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/sbc_edited_4.jpg
http://blog.clevelandhistoricalsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/20130207-StoneBarn_by_TomEagan.jpg
http://www.branchesofniagara.com/image.php/images/old-fort-niagara.jpg?width=600&height=0&image=/images/old-fort-niagara.jpg
http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/706585/11962217/1303973621257/neal_urban_fort_niagara_New_york_youngstown_hdr_fireplace.jpg?token=ln7DVnlZAogx%2BTrLQLC%2B411V6yQ%3D

Ideas include:
-Installing a staircase in the silo and replacing the top with something more like a turret.
-Building rooms and hallways in the open loft areas
-Turning at least a portion into a livable space with beds, fireplace, kitchen, etc.  Don't necessarily need electricity and whatnot, this isn't supposed to be a permanent residency.
-Replacing the usual sliding barn doors with big heavy wooden doors like you think of in a castle.
-Workshop with your basic tools in addition to a forge (Blacksmithing has been a hobby of mine for some time)
-Armory for guns and other weapons (always wanted a black powder cannon)

So what do you all think?  Is this a crazy endeavor doomed to failure?  Would it require a "small loan of a million dollars"?  Should I give up and move into my parents basement?  Is even a fraction of this feasible?
View Quote

That last picture makes me want to take an arrow to the knee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top