Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2016 9:33:54 PM EDT
Any of you Coloradans remember the 19 Cent Hamburger Stand from back in the 80's ?? Basic burgers...ketchup, mustard, onions, pickles for 19 cents each.

I was on I&I duty out there in the 80's and use to grab lunch there occasionally, they weren't much of a burger but it left more beer money. I mentioned it to someone who lived there in the 90's and they'd never heard of it. The one I remember was at 80th and Wadsworth cross corner from the King Soopers grocery.

Anyone??
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#1]
still around
called hamburger stand now
the prices slowly went up (49, 79, 99) now it's just hamburger stand it's a Der weinerstintzel

it's not good
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about the one in Colorado, but there was one in Oceanside, CA back in the day.  Plain white building with black lettered signs, just like generic food products, it then became the .25 cent hamburger stand, then it just kept going up every couple of years until it closed.

Loved their burgers, cheeseburgers, and chili-dogs.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know about the one in Colorado, but there was one in Oceanside, CA back in the day.  Plain white building with black lettered signs, just like generic food products, it then became the .25 cent hamburger stand, then it just kept going up every couple of years until it closed.

View Quote

I remember a hamburger place like that, it was called "the original hamburger stand"
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#4]
How could they sell Burgers for .19 cents? Were they using ground up roadkill for patties?
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How could they sell Burgers for .19 cents? Were they using ground up roadkill for patties?
View Quote

No QE to drive inflation through the roof, my guess.

Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I think that my local café has a pretty good deal. 10 "Old Fashion Greasy Burgers" for $11.99

They aren't greasy at all. About the diameter of a McDonalds burger but about 3 times thicker. I brought home two 10 baggers tonight and fed three adults, one child and two toddlers and still have 9 burgers left.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Triple cheeseburgers $0.99 back in the day in Missouri.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

CPI inflation calculator
$

in  1980

Has the same buying power as:

$0.55

in 2016

Of course, the fed decided to drop things like food and gas from the CPI index in the late 80's - early 90's so the current number is obviously low.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I remember correctly,  basically everything cost extra.  If you just wanted a plain old hamburger with nothing on it, $.19.  Cheese? $.99.  Fries?  $.99.  Drink?  . $.99.  Basically if you wanted a meal, it ended up costing the same as other places.  I think I ate there once as a kid in the 90's (although the one I remember was in Colorado Springs) and was not impressed.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, back then they were basically just turd makers probably made from "Grade D- but edible" ground whatever. But like I said, they left more money for beer and made a tolerable post bar crawl snack. This was 84-86 timeframe.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I think they started out as the $.39 hamburger stand, but same idea: link
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly,  basically everything cost extra.  If you just wanted a plain old hamburger with nothing on it, $.19.  Cheese? $.99.  Fries?  $.99.  Drink?  . $.99.  Basically if you wanted a meal, it ended up costing the same as other places.  I think I ate there once as a kid in the 90's (although the one I remember was in Colorado Springs) and was not impressed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was one about a mile from where I live in the Springs, it's now a Monica's Taco Shop.  Out in front of the old Kmart at Palmer Park and Powers.  It was okay for late night grub.  Fries weren't too great.  Could wolf down a bag of burgers, though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like this?

This is local to me in SE Michigan.  Best damn burgers in town.
Still going strong.

Link Posted: 3/11/2016 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to hit the one out by shotgun willies in the 80s.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember those back in the 80s.

I was just a kid back then and we used to eat there all the time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Mister-Z, just like that....
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:43:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mister-Z, just like that....
View Quote

Whoever sold those buildings made a mint.

I've seen them all over the country.  Same exact design, same materials.  

And burgers inside.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 2:07:56 AM EDT
[#19]
94 year old grandmother remembers when White Castles were a nickel.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think that my local café has a pretty good deal. 10 "Old Fashion Greasy Burgers" for $11.99

They aren't greasy at all. About the diameter of a McDonalds burger but about 3 times thicker. I brought home two 10 baggers tonight and fed three adults, one child and two toddlers and still have 9 burgers left.
View Quote

Where be this local cafe?

There's one off of Governor's, called Big Spring Cafe, but haven't been there for years.  It's not far from Yellowhammer or Salty Nut breweries, so it might be worth a visit next time we go there.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Like this?

Still going strong.

http://image.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/width620/img/ann-arbor-business_impact/photo/14478685-mmmain.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this?

Still going strong.

http://image.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/width620/img/ann-arbor-business_impact/photo/14478685-mmmain.jpg

Oh hell yeah, and Telway and Bray's too! Telway still has the best coffee. When I'm up visiting, I'll have 4 Telways and a cup of coffee for breakfast every morning.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see that you are in Tennessee. Where might this place be?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Oh hell yeah, and Telway and Bray's too! Telway still has the best coffee. When I'm up visiting, I'll have 4 Telways and a cup of coffee for breakfast every morning.
View Quote

Yes, on all three counts.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There was one about a mile from where I live in the Springs, it's now a Monica's Taco Shop.  Out in front of the old Kmart at Palmer Park and Powers.  It was okay for late night grub.  Fries weren't too great.  Could wolf down a bag of burgers, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Monica's is probably the worst Mexican food I have ever had
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#25]
White paper wrappers, black ink. Generic brand equivalent!

I remember.

LAFB, 1983
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#26]
When I was going to school in '87 around Denver, I would go and get 50 every payday and eat all week.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There's one off of Governor's, called Big Spring Cafe, but haven't been there for years.  It's not far from Yellowhammer or Salty Nut breweries, so it might be worth a visit next time we go there.

Thanks,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

The Elora Cafe & Billiards.  Elora is a wide spot in the road on the John Hunter Hwy. Winchester Road turns into John Hunter at the state line.  About 7 miles from the Alabama line in Tn is Elora.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
94 year old grandmother remembers when White Castles were a nickel.
View Quote

Hello I'm 55 years old and I remember five or seven cent white castle burgers back in the 60s
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The Elora Cafe & Billiards.  Elora is a wide spot in the road on the John Hunter Hwy. Winchester Road turns into John Hunter at the state line.  About 7 miles from the Alabama line in Tn is Elora.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Fuck me.  All you had to say was "Elora".   Used to hunt the Mountain Fork area years ago, Elora and Huntland were our lunch spots!

Now I gotta find a reason to go to Elora, well,  besides the Lincoln county moonshine place a couple miles north of there!]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like Dick's Hamburgers in Spokane. I think burgers were 25 cents when I lived there.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top