Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2016 8:05:18 AM EDT
The Number of Movies on Netflix Is Dropping Fast

But it's actually part of the company's master plan

We’re now many years removed from the halcyon days of Netflix’s robust movie streaming library. Even still, the company’s digital catalog continues to shrink.

Netflix seems comfortable with having a shrinking library. In 2015 Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos said the company was no longer interested in licensing shows that weren’t exclusive to the platform. Instead, the company has 600 hours of original programming slated to release this year, and it’s betting that its increasingly sophisticated recommendation algorithms will be able to guide users to content they enjoy, even if there’s less to choose from overall.
View Quote

Sounds like Netflix users will be getting a lot less overall content in exchange for more original content.

As long as the original content is good, I don't mind the trade off.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#1]
i renewed my account not that long ago and cancelled it a few days later.

there were so few choices on there of things to watch it was pitiful
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Netflix, has been sucking for while.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't watch NetFlix for the movies. I watch it for the series and documentaries.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll keep it for now.  Orange is the New Black is entertaining enough.  That and Seven Deadly Sins.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Netflix account primarily for the original programming (Daredevil and Longmire).

To justify the other 10 months of the year, I have been rewatching old shows lately.  

9 buck a month for a whole series a whole lot better than buying the box set for certain shows.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#6]
It is a much better deal when you don't pay for cable/satellite subscription.

Paying Comcast for video service with Netflix on top will be disappointing. Their originals are what brings in the real interest. They are almost their own TV channel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't watch NetFlix for the movies. I watch it for the series and documentaries.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I can't even think of the last movie I watched there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'll keep it for now.  Orange is the New Black is entertaining enough.  That and Seven Deadly Sins.
View Quote
Amazingly 7DS is actually good.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unforgiven
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#10]
COmcast sucks, netflix sucks...... everything sucks!

Can't even find decent DVD's to buy anymore.....
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#11]
The only things I watch on Netflix are re-runs of Frazier and Friends.   They have nothing else that interests me.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
COmcast sucks, netflix sucks...... everything sucks!

View Quote

Amazon Prime has some good original content

Check out 'Man in the High Castle'
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#13]
we cancelled ours a while back....same reason...choices were small
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The only things I watch on Netflix are re-runs of Frazier and Friends.   They have nothing else that interests me.  
View Quote

Firefly
House of Cards
Between
Occupied (THIS SHOW IS AWESOME!!!)
Daredevil
Orange is the New Black
Attack on Titan
Marco Polo
The Returned
Ascension

They also have a ton of really good kids programming.

If you are watching Netflix for Homowood Blockbusters you aren't going to get it anymore. Homowood wants too much for the licensing rights. There is a metric shit ton of really good shows out now that keep my attention far better then a 3rd rehash of the same movie now with more special effects and lens flare. But you aren't getting it on any streaming content either. Between myself and my folks we have Netflix Amazon HBO Showtime and Starz. I think there are 2 big name movies I want to see in all their content, the rest is shit (look at you HBO with 20% of your movies being in Spanish).
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

i renewed my account not that long ago and cancelled it a few days later.

there were so few choices on there of things to watch it was pitiful
View Quote
Yeah, I renewed to watch House of Cards season 4.  Once I was through with that, I couldn't find anything I wanted to watch.  I think the last thing I watched was Clear and Present Danger, that was an ok movie.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been pretty much watching Hulu. Will cancel Nutflix soon.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Kinda sucks when I get half way through a series and it dissappears
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#19]
That...would explain a lot.  I thought my searching skills had deteriorated.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Netflix has wanted to be their own new network for some time. This just reflects that.

Along with Hulu+ and Amazon Prime, I keep them around because they're cheap and they provide at least a little more variety to my viewing choices.

If the price of a subscription went up significantly, though, I'd drop them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#21]
do people still use Netflix for DVDs by mail?  iirc, pretty much all the stuff not available for streaming is available on disk...
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much where I'm at also. Some of the B movies they have are pretty good as well.

Daredevil and House of Cards made this months $9 fee completely worth it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I haven't watched anything on Netflix in months.  Forgot I had an account, actually.

There is rarely anything that holds my interest there since I finished all the Walking Dead episodes they have.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I haven't watched anything on Netflix in months.  Forgot I had an account, actually.

There is rarely anything that holds my interest there since I finished all the Walking Dead episodes they have.
View Quote

Gotta wait until October for season 6 to be on their streaming service. They wait 2 weeks before the new season to start.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
do people still use Netflix for DVDs by mail?  iirc, pretty much all the stuff not available for streaming is available on disk...
View Quote

I've done the DVDs on and off. It's a great value if you watch enough and don't mind a wait. Otherwise I use Amazon which is instant.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#27]
appreciate the links below.  added some to my list.

Quoted:

Firefly
House of Cards
Between
Daredevil
Orange is the New Black
Attack on Titan
Marco Polo
The Returned
Ascension

If you are watching Netflix for Homowood Blockbusters you aren't going to get it anymore. Homowood wants too much for the licensing rights. There is a metric shit ton of really good shows out now that keep my attention far better then a 3rd rehash of the same movie now with more special effects and lens flare. But you aren't getting it on any streaming content either. Between myself and my folks we have Netflix Amazon HBO Showtime and Starz. I think there are 2 big name movies I want to see in all their content, the rest is shit (look at you HBO with 20% of your movies being in Spanish).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Firefly
House of Cards
Between
Daredevil
Orange is the New Black
Attack on Titan
Marco Polo
The Returned
Ascension

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#28]

I easily get my money's worth out of it.  I don't have cable or dish anymore.  My kids find plenty of stuff, and I like some of the series.

My wife likes HBO Now, which is the only other service we pay for.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#29]
I haven't checked the agreement lately. What's to stop someone from renewing every February, watching house of cards, then cancelling?
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a Netflix account primarily for the original programming (Daredevil and Longmire).

View Quote

Rumor is, the next season of Longmire is going to have a tie-in episode with the Criminal Minds people.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

My parents.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#32]
The netflix CEO already stepped on his dick once link, you would think they would learn.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#33]
The only reason I have netfix is because my wife uses her friends password so we can watch Orange is the new black. Netflix sucks and Amazon video is worse.

ALTHOUGH...the new top gear will definitely make Amazon suck less.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#34]
I think Netflix is just following what their customers want. If more people are watching series and new programming and less movies, that is where they are going to put their programming. We watch series, a few episodes at a time, and have yet to run out of things to watch. I dont even look for movies unless something interesting pops up in the new release area. We only watch two to four movies a month at most, so redbox is our go-to place for that. We hit it at the gas station on our way home from the beach. We prefer to be active and do stuff, not watch the tube for a significant part of our lives..

1DD
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#35]
I used to be a huge netflix fan. but I bet I haven't spent more than 6 or 8 hours in the last month watching it and 6 of that was that shitty daredevil show. now that its obvious that the netflix/marvel team is a disaster with the shit show that was jessica jones and the absolutly terrible daredevil season 2 I'm pretty close to cancelling my account.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#36]

I get all of my movies through their mail out DVD service.  Streaming is for original shows, getting caught up on old shows and stuff like that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I want streaming Northern Exposure.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The only reason I have netfix is because my wife uses her friends password so we can watch Orange is the new black. Netflix sucks and Amazon video is worse.

ALTHOUGH...the new top gear will definitely make Netflix suck less.
View Quote

You are going to be massively disappointed trying to watch Top Gear on Netflix.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I get all of my movies through their mail out DVD service.  Streaming is for original shows, getting caught up on old shows and stuff like that.
View Quote

jesus man, DVDs? I didn't know people still watched those.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

the quality of blurays still isn't close to being matched by low bit rate, compressed, streaming

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

the quality of blurays still isn't close to being matched by low bit rate, compressed, streaming

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes I know about blu rays, the DOA format, but DVDs???
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Yep.

I fired cable in 2010 because I was paying about $100 per month for literally hundreds of channels that did not interest me in the least.

I fired Netflix a little over a year ago because I was paying about $8 per month for fewer and fewer offerings that interest me.

The way I figure it, it breaks down like this:

Netflix was costing me $7.99 per month, or $95.88 per year.

With old-school TV, a year used to be one season of 24 episodes.

One season of, say, the X-Files costs $14.99.

That means that, in one year, I can buy one season each of six different shows for a little less than a year of Netflix costs.

I don't watch a ton of TV in the first place, so for me it's a "buy once, cry once" kind of deal. I pay for an entire series, but I can enjoy it ad infinitum for no additional payments and I don't have to worry about losing access (barring media obsolescence and inaccessibility of older tech). Works for me but definitely not for someone who has any real interest in TV, I guess.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think Netflix is just following what their customers want. If more people are watching series and new programming and less movies, that is where they are.. We watch series, a few episodes at a time, and have yet to run out of things to watch. I dont even look for movies unless something interesting pops up in the new release area. We only watch two to four movies a month at most, so redbox is our go-to place for that. We hit it at the gas station on our way home from the beach. We prefer to be active and do stuff, not watch the tube for a significant part of our lives..

1DD
View Quote

But isn't that a self-fulfilling prophecy?  If they have fewer movies to choose from, Netflix users watch fewer movies. Since fewer Netflix users watch movies, Netflix reduces the selection of movies to watch.  Cycle repeats until they've convinced themselves that Netflix users don't watch movies. At a certain point that will be true, but subscribers will be down because of it.....
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yep.

I fired cable in 2010 because I was paying about $100 per month for literally hundreds of channels that did not interest me in the least.

I fired Netflix a little over a year ago because I was paying about $8 per month for fewer and fewer offerings that interest me.

I don't watch a ton of TV in the first place, so I've taken to just buying things I want to watch on Blu-ray. To me, it's a "buy once, cry once" kind of deal. I pay for an entire series, but I can enjoy it ad infinitum for no additional payments and I don't have to worry about losing access (barring media obsolescence and inaccessibility of older tech). Works for me but definitely not for someone who has any real interest in TV, I guess.
View Quote

what I'm running into is that the majority of shows I watch are on broadcast which I've been watching on hulu.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

COmcast
sucks, netflix sucks...... everything sucks!

View Quote
For sure.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

But isn't that a self-fulfilling prophecy?  If they have fewer movies to choose from, Netflix users watch fewer movies. Since fewer Netflix users watch movies, Netflix reduces the selection of movies to watch.  Cycle repeats until they've convinced themselves that Netflix users don't watch movies. At a certain point that will be true, but subscribers will be down because of it.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think Netflix is just following what their customers want. If more people are watching series and new programming and less movies, that is where they are.. We watch series, a few episodes at a time, and have yet to run out of things to watch. I dont even look for movies unless something interesting pops up in the new release area. We only watch two to four movies a month at most, so redbox is our go-to place for that. We hit it at the gas station on our way home from the beach. We prefer to be active and do stuff, not watch the tube for a significant part of our lives..

1DD

but you know what? they may be right. I have all 3 of the major services and I couldn't tell you the last time i watched a movie on any of them. infact i've never watched a movie on hulu at all. for movies I have a plex server and download and recompress them i'm up to 429 in my high def collection and another 100+ in the SD library.

I don't even watch anything on prime at all. they have nothing interesting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#47]
They are pushing their own drug.  I can't blame them, kind of a HBO thing.  It might go, it might not.  They need something going for them, I'm getting back into reading
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1DD

No , because people who want to watch old rerun series and new content will be their customer base and people who want new release blockbusters will go elsewhere. They will have to adjust their marketing to better reflect the new content. If they fail at this new strategy then they go out of business. They know what people watch so I'm pretty sure they have a good idea of what their customers want.

1DD
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i should have said 'disk by mail'

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

No , because people who want to watch old rerun series and new content will be their customer base and people who want new release blockbusters will go elsewhere. They will have to adjust their marketing to better reflect the new content. If they fail at this new strategy then they go out of business. They know what people watch so I'm pretty sure they have a good idea of what their customers want.

1DD
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1DD

1DD

the studios dont want their new release blockbusters on Netflix, so they withhold licensing.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top