Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2016 9:28:56 PM EDT
I've been on a roll watching really bad 70's movies about truck driving... flat bed Annie had a cabover rig in it with a really long frame, and the shortest cab I've ever seen.  What is the advantage of such a configuration?

Are most truck frames aluminum or steel?

Which engine configurations at  the most popular in current use?  Straight six or does anyone still make a V8?

Why is first gear "low" and second first?  How long does it take to figure out how to drive all those gears, when to split and why?  Is there any overlap between low range and high? (Can it not shift from eight low to first high or some such)

Are horsepower and fuel economy commonly controlled via GPS? (Do they increase power outputs in the mountains and cut back in the plains to save fuel?)

How often do you have to use the differential locks?  Why?

I've seen a few trucks with transfer cases and all wheel drive.... do the transfer cases have two speeds like in 4wd trucks?

I'm sure I can think of more...
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Frames are steel, one can tell when a truck has spent lotsa time in salty road areas.

No V-8s probably since the late 1980s with the old Silver 92 Detroit 2 strokers.

Most have 9 or 10 speeds with 2 ranges, but the autos are almost mandatory now. Most drivers that still like manuals learn to feather shift.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]
So many parameters that answers are difficult lol

I drove tri axles. Almost all were Macks with Steel double frames

Mack made a v8 it was a pos. A 3208 cat is a v8.

All transmissions are different. Mack made some real wacky ones. One was Low123 split to high n shift back to 2nd, 3,4,5 or some wacky shit. Out of 8 trucks there were 6 different transmissions lol.

Diff lock was used in the mud.

Wheels foward trucks haul more weight. Wheels back turn tighter. KW and Pete both offer that option that I know of.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Frames are steel, one can tell when a truck has spent lotsa time in salty road areas.

No V-8s probably since the late 1980s with the old Silver 92 Detroit 2 strokers.

Most have 9 or 10 speeds with 2 ranges, but the autos are almost mandatory now. Most drivers that still like manuals learn to feather shift.
View Quote

Feather shift? You mean float gears ...
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Introduced by Freightliner,an option couples GPS mapping with the cruise control for maximum fuel economy. Whether the big lines got it, I have no idea. Diff lock is used in poor traction, most also have automatic traction control on the front diff. It WORKS!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The only use I know of for a long frame with a lot of space in front of a flatbed before the cab is for the load overhang in the front of the trailer

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I 6
Power controlled by right foot.
5 - 6 times , lock'em in to get moving on Ice and snow.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The only trucks I've seen with transfer cases and all-wheel-drive are military trucks
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been a long day.......BTing more in the past month than in the previous 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The only trucks I've seen with transfer cases and all-wheel-drive are military trucks
View Quote

I saw an over the road commercial truck on I95 hauling a tanker trailer (milk iirc) with a live front axle and a transfer case.  I was in heavy traffic so I got a really good look at it.  It was highly unusual so I took notice.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I saw an over the road commercial truck on I95 hauling a tanker trailer (milk iirc) with a live front axle and a transfer case.  I was in heavy traffic so I got a really good look at it.  It was highly unusual so I took notice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must have been a truck that visits farms, I imagine those milk trailers can get quite heavy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been on a roll watching really bad 70's movies about truck driving... flat bed Annie had a cabover rig in it with a really long frame, and the shortest cab I've ever seen.  What is the advantage of such a configuration?

Mostly looks.

Steel. Some were aluminum in the 70s, were prone to corrosion

Which engine configurations at  the most popular in current use?  Straight six or does anyone still make a V8?

All heavy trucks are straight six now.

Why is first gear "low" and second first?  How long does it take to figure out how to drive all those gears, when to split and why?  Is there any overlap between low range and high? (Can it not shift from eight low to first high or some such)

Are horsepower and fuel economy commonly controlled via GPS? (Do they increase power outputs in the mountains and cut back in the plains to save fuel?)

No, the engine operates just as it would in your car.

Depends on what you are doing, Plenty of American trucks don't even have diff lock, because they don't run in adverse conditions.

I've seen a few trucks with transfer cases and all wheel drive.... do the transfer cases have two speeds like in 4wd trucks?

Tranfer cases in big trucks simply lock the front axle. There are auxilliary transmissions that multiply the gears like 4 times.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The long frame is so you can haul longer products, IE light poles and bridge beams.
View Quote
Steel for the most part. In the 70's Peterbilt tried Aluminum for awhile with mixed results.
Currently they are I6, Cat made the 3408 and it was a wild ride, though you could wipe out a set of drive tires in 5k miles.
Pulling heavy loads you need a lot of gears to get the load rolling and keep it rolling. Shifting is easy once you try it.
Its out there for the nanny companies, most do not though, it isn't cost effective.
4 or 5 times a year, mostly when the chain laws go into effect, lock in the diff lock and lockers and power on while the rest of the drivers throw iron.
There was a company in the NW that ran 4wd coe's in the 70's to 90's.They were just 1 speed transfer cases. They did quite well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#13]
inline 6 mostly Cat engines some Cummings and Pac car which is new to me. I haven't drove a manual tranny in about 10 years our company only buys autos now. Which is really nice cause I drive in traffic all day makes my job easy. i my interlocks about once a week cause of mud or really soft ground or awkward truck angle. I drive a ready mix concrete truck FYI.

Our new trucks are all computer and gps controlled they know exactly how we drive. my truck has a computer on board that tells me whats wrong with it and who to call to have it serviced.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been on a roll watching really bad 70's movies about truck driving... flat bed Annie had a cabover rig in it with a really long frame, and the shortest cab I've ever seen.  What is the advantage of such a configuration? Cabovers reduce overall length. The lack of a hood makes the frame behind the cab look longer especially on daycab models.

Are most truck frames aluminum or steel? I have been in truck parts for 25 years and have seen exactly ONE truck with an aluminum frame. It was an old International COF4070B cabover. The rest were single, double and triple steel frames.

Which engine configurations at  the most popular in current use?  Straight six or does anyone still make a V8? Inline six has always been the most popular in the heavy truck lines.

Why is first gear "low" and second first?  How long does it take to figure out how to drive all those gears, when to split and why?  Is there any overlap between low range and high? (Can it not shift from eight low to first high or some such) Think that's confusing? I have seen Fullers with a Low-Low range. I have also seen the double overdrive options. Then there are the really old two sticks. Or how about adding an auxillary transmission behind the main box.

Are horsepower and fuel economy commonly controlled via GPS? (Do they increase power outputs in the mountains and cut back in the plains to save fuel?) I don't know about GPS but the newer ones are variable horsepower depending on the requirements of load and terrain.

How often do you have to use the differential locks?  Why? I am not a driver but around here most of the worms don't even know what the diff lock is for.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been driving a F550 and I have a few questions as well and might as well not start a new thread.  I have my cdl but I only drove enough to pass the test and haven't drove anything with a stick in over five years.

It has a four speed transmission with an over drive and a lo, does that make it a four, five, or six speed?

This is the first non semi that I have been able to float the gears, should I do that or just clutch?

How the hell do you deal with driving in town, I get pissed with all the shifting, in fact I've been starting in second redlining it and skipping to fourth then OD if I get above 45?

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Why do trucks like to ride next to other trucks so no one can pass?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#17]

I-6 cylinders are the go to...between 13-16 liter engines for class 8 tractors.

Detroit DD15 is a very popular engine...455 horsepower and 1550 torque is a comon power rating for over the road.  Cummins ISX has similar power ratings.

10 speed manuals have been the go to for many years, but beacuase of increased regulartions to reduce emission levels automated manuals are becoming the go to..better use of engine power with automated manuals...less driver training and a more relaxed driving experience for the driver.

Automated manuals have a low and high it is just automated....

Steel frames.

Diff locks are an option depending on terrain or weather.

there is a company that has a Preloaded map system based on GPS in their automated manual transmission that when using cruise control will maximize torque to improve mpg.   There will be an industry wide acceptance of GPS based safety systems over the next 5-10 years. In some cases the software will limit road speed based on the indicated MPH for that section of road.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been driving a F550 and I have a few questions as well and might as well not start a new thread.  I have my cdl but I only drove enough to pass the test and haven't drove anything with a stick in over five years.

It has a four speed transmission with an over drive and a lo, does that make it a four, five, or six speed?

This is the first non semi that I have been able to float the gears, should I do that or just clutch?

How the hell do you deal with driving in town, I get pissed with all the shifting, in fact I've been starting in second redlining it and skipping to fourth then OD if I get above 45?

View Quote

That is a six speed.
I would say that it is probably a synchronized transmission since that is what every light and medium duty manual I have seen in a long time is synchronized.
You should use the clutch or you will eventually damage the synchros and an overhaul on one of those M/D transmissions is almost as expensive as on a H/D model.
Sounds like you need an automatic. Modern M/D and H/D autos are a lot more reliable than in decades past.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep DD15 455hp. Banging 8-8.5mpg with the light loads Amazon is kicking out.

Cascadia is light years ahead of my old Century, Freightliner finally got it's shit together. Only bad thing is the belt driven water pump, and the PS and air compressor shoved into the back of the engine=more labor when they fail.

Hardest thing about owning a truck? Finding a good mechanic who actually gives a damn about doing a good job. Rather than one who just throws parts at the problem and hopes you just go away.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
You have synchronized transmission which means you do not need to float the gears or double clutch.   Driving in town sucks...one of the reasons why automated manuals are becoming more and more popular.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Why do trucks like to ride next to other trucks so no one can pass?
View Quote
So many variables....lets not turn this into a shit fest about truckers in the left lane.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Your shift pattern is going to change depending in if you have a 9,10,13,15,or 18 speed.  They are all relatively the same except some of them you don't come back to low after you split into the topside of the tranny.

The motor changes how a truck shifts more then the tranny. We have a cat that you have to take a long pause before you put it back in gear when you up shift.  Our new Cummins you almost shift like it's a pickup truck. As soon as it will come out of gear, jam it into the next one, no pause. Both have the same transmission it's just the Cummins motor loses rpms faster then the cat.

Shifting is easy once you understand what you are doing. You are just matching rpms between the motor and the tranny. You pause on an upshift to allow the motor to slow down to the speed of the tranny. You give it throttle when you down shift to speed the motor up to match the tranny.

We use the differential lock quite a bit but we drive off roadish more then most.  Some times I wish we had lockers too. Diff lock just makes both sets of drivers drive, it only gives you two tires spinning. Then you can have lockers that will lock both tires on the same axel. If you have diff lock and double lockers you can get all four sets of duals spinning the same speed, good luck turning though.

2012 kenworth with an 485 HP isx Cummins and a 10 SPD.

" />

94 kenworth with a 3406 cat and a 10 SPD

" />
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The long frame is so you can haul longer products, IE light poles and bridge beams.
Steel for the most part. In the 70's Peterbilt tried Aluminum for awhile with mixed results.
Currently they are I6, Cat made the 3408 and it was a wild ride, though you could wipe out a set of drive tires in 5k miles.
Pulling heavy loads you need a lot of gears to get the load rolling and keep it rolling. Shifting is easy once you try it.
Its out there for the nanny companies, most do not though, it isn't cost effective.
4 or 5 times a year, mostly when the chain laws go into effect, lock in the diff lock and lockers and power on while the rest of the drivers throw iron.
There was a company in the NW that ran 4wd coe's in the 70's to 90's.They were just 1 speed transfer cases. They did quite well.

At one time or another every engine maker has made a V8. Several made a V6. The aluminum frame died when the gross weight went to 80000. The low came from adding a low gear to an existing transmission. The first 9 speed was a 8 speed with a lower first added.  The diff lock is to get out of a problem, if your using it to go into something your asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The motor changes how a truck shifts more then the tranny. We have a cat that you have to take a long pause before you put it back in gear when you up shift.  Our new Cummins you almost shift like it's a pickup truck. As soon as it will come out of gear, jam it into the next one, no pause. Both have the same transmission it's just the Cummins motor loses rpms faster then the cat.

http://<a href=http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w630/bonrya/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160414_080601952_HDR_zpsv75znzws.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

My dad always hated driving Cats and preferred Cummins for the reason you state, his standard phrase was "you could eat lunch in between shifts".

His favorite truck was a Pete 385 truck and trailer setup almost identical to the second truck you posted, except with a 3 axle trailer and a shorter tongue. It had a 370hp M11 and a 13 spd. They're very maneuverable and once you learn how to back them you can squeeze them into a lot tighter spaces than a semi.

Long after he stopped driving it I spotted it and snapped this pic one day.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#25]
OP, isn't that short freightliner called a suicide cab?

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heavy commercial trucks use a Power Divider built into the front drive axle and not a transfer case.  When it's unlocked the rear axle is driven just like the left and right side can rotate differentially from each other.  When the power divider is locked in, both the front and rear axles rotate at the same rate.

Using the power divider carries the same caveats as using 4x4 in a pickup or SUV; only use it in ice, snow or mud because there has to be some way for the axles to slip differentially to keep from tearing up the front to rear driveshaft and the power divider mechanism.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My dad always hated driving Cats and preferred Cummins for the reason you state, his standard phrase was "you could eat lunch in between shifts".

His favorite truck was a Pete 385 truck and trailer setup almost identical to the second truck you posted, except with a 3 axle trailer and a shorter tongue. It had a 370hp M11 and a 13 spd. They're very maneuverable and once you learn how to back them you can squeeze them into a lot tighter spaces than a semi.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/326531_2698216409817_198875434_o.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w630/bonrya/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160414_080601952_HDR_zpsv75znzws.jpg</a>" />

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/326531_2698216409817_198875434_o.jpg

Our 94 is longer then our new truck by like 10' but the trailer follows the truck way better. Towing a pup gives you two pivot points and it makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Since we are playing Q&A.

I occasionally see rigs that have really, really long sleepers. Mostly interstate moving companies or enclosed car haulers.
Does all that extra length in the "tractor" part of the rig have a lot of negative impact in terms of drivability or maneuverability?

Or is it worth it to essentially have a small motorhome behind you to live in while on the road?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Are most truck frames aluminum or steel? Steel

Which engine configurations at  the most popular in current use?  Straight six or does anyone still make a V8? All 150+ trucks in our fleet use straight 6s, a good split of DD15 and 60 series Detroits in the tractors, a dozen or so Isuzu box trucks, a handful of Volvo tractors, and a few dozen Freightliner box trucks with either Cummins, Cat, or Mercedes. The reefers use 3 or 4 cylinders

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I occasionally see rigs that have really, really long sleepers. Mostly interstate moving companies or enclosed car haulers.
Does all that extra length in the "tractor" part of the rig have a lot of negative impact in terms of drivability or maneuverability?

Or is it worth it to essentially have a small motorhome behind you to live in while on the road?
View Quote

If you live on the road you want all the comfort you can get.
The trade off is a wider turning radius.

We have a lot of independent operators buying those over the road trucks as they come off lease and making oilfield trucks out of them. It works for a wille. Sort of.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Heavy commercial trucks use a Power Divider built into the front drive axle and not a transfer case.  When it's unlocked the rear axle is driven just like the left and right side can rotate differentially from each other.  When the power divider is locked in, both the front and rear axles rotate at the same rate.

Using the power divider carries the same caveats as using 4x4 in a pickup or SUV; only use it in ice, snow or mud because there has to be some way for the axles to slip differentially to keep from tearing up the front to rear driveshaft and the power divider mechanism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not always true

I own a freightliner with a transfer case and a live front axle.

It's live all the time. And it's expensive as fuck to keep working. It was a Pacific gas and electric auger truck for off road. I had the brilliant fucking idea to stick a tank on it for pipeline and drilling fuel operations.

Not worth it. Just more shit to break and the deeper you get stuck. Last time it was stuck (slid off rig mats) it broke the main cylinders on a 65tn wrecker.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

The longer you are the harder it is to turn. You'll see a lot of niche carriers running big sleep trucks because they sit for extended times waiting on loads. The car hauler who haul show and testing cars are an example. You'll also see explosive haulers, the teams hauling jet engines, and movers. Imagine sitting for a week on a runway beside a hanger waiting on a engine swap from a plane. They don't want you crossing the airport runways twice and getting the airplane back in the air is more important than getting you back moving.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Longer the frame, longer the turning radius to a point. Most of those guys don't have to worry about snaking it in a small area.

The people I know who do that with super sleepers are often husband / wife team drivers. Often as you said, niche hauling or super expedited.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Well I've got a few questions of my own, hope you don't mind op.

Do truckers still use CB radios?  or have they been phased out by cell phones.

What is/was your handle?

Does a truck driver have control over when the air releases from its brake lines and makes that loud PSSHHHHTTTT sound?

Are these new aerodynamic wings and shit hanging off the bottom and back of the trailer helping mileage much?

Do you see many accidents being on the road all the time?

Are lot lizards actually a thing?

Do you piss in bottles and throw it out the window?

Whats the longest you've gone without showering on a haul?

How many gallons of fuel does an average semi take to fill up from empty?

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Does a truck driver have control over when the air releases from its brake lines and makes that loud PSSHHHHTTTT sound? That's the air dryer, and no, it's automatic

Do you piss in bottles and throw it out the window? My dad kept a piss jug, he'd stop to use it, never threw it out though, but it's not unheard of.

How many gallons of fuel does an average semi take to fill up from empty? 100-300 gallons typically

View Quote

A few answers in red.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not always true

It's live all the time. And it's expensive as fuck to keep working. It was a Pacific gas and electric auger truck for off road. I had the brilliant fucking idea to stick a tank on it for pipeline and drilling fuel operations.

Not worth it. Just more shit to break and the deeper you get stuck. Last time it was stuck (slid off rig mats) it broke the main cylinders on a 65tn wrecker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not always true

Our kenworth t800's never gave us an issue with being able to lock the tandem axle. That was Hauling around 12 or so 265 gal totes for pumpoffs for rigs or gas patch sites. Those bastards would haul ass with that bigger motor and only hauling around 56k.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:11:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What is/was your handle?

Does a truck driver have control over when the air releases from its brake lines and makes that loud PSSHHHHTTTT sound?

Are these new aerodynamic wings and shit hanging off the bottom and back of the trailer helping mileage much?

View Quote

Around here you don't hear too much on the cb. Every know and again you can shoot the shit while your driving.

When you release the brakes when you want to start you manually do it with two big push button valves on the dash. The yellow one pops the truck brakes the red one does the trailer.

When the truck is running it will have an automatic air dryer that pops every couple minutes all on its own.

They take anywhere between 150-300 gallons typically to fill with fuel. Its going to change on what the truck does. If it's a local truck that goes home every night it may have only one tank. If it's a long haul setup it may have two 150 gallon tanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Around here you don't hear too much on the cb. Every know and again you can shoot the shit while your driving.

When you release the brakes when you want to start you manually do it with two big push button valves on the dash. The yellow one pops the truck brakes the red one does the trailer.

When the truck is running it will have an automatic air dryer that pops every couple minutes all on its own.

They take anywhere between 150-300 gallons typically to fill with fuel. Its going to change on what the truck does. If it's a local truck that goes home every night it may have only one tank. If it's a long haul setup it may have two 150 gallon tanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is/was your handle?

or more. I had a KW cabover that had dual 240s. I ran coast to coast and hardly ever bought fuel anywhere but OK, AR, NM, and GA. I've also had several heavy haul trucks that carried 360-400 gallons. It's hard to drop and go get fuel so you want to do that as little as possible.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not always true

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not always true

We had a brand new Vactor truck at the shop a few years back.  It had 3 drive axles in the rear and a live axle in front.  I have no idea where it was heading to need that many wheels driving, but it was a one big beast of a truck.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What is/was your handle?

View Quote
Thanks to JB Hunt ripping out all the CB wiring, I haven't had the time to rewire the CB yet. "The GoGetter," like the old Ozark Airlines moto.

Love pulling a trailer with the skirts,usually gain .5mpg.

Old company I drove for pulling Toyota, we actually had a female driver who was a lot lizard on the side. She was old and ugly.

No piss bottles here.

A couple of days in between showers, when you're running hard, you really don't want to stop, it breaks the momentum and leads to, "trashing around the truckstop."

80 gal a side, good for a day's drive, I get home everyday/night.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Do truckers still use CB radios?  or have they been phased out by cell phones. I've never used one.

What is/was your handle? See above

Does a truck driver have control over when the air releases from its brake lines and makes that loud PSSHHHHTTTT sound? Yes and no.

Are these new aerodynamic wings and shit hanging off the bottom and back of the trailer helping mileage much? About .3-.5 mpg

Do you see many accidents being on the road all the time? Every day

Are lot lizards actually a thing? Yes

Do you piss in bottles and throw it out the window? No

Whats the longest you've gone without showering on a haul? About 7 days. I run team so we can get moving and stay moving as long as there's freight.

How many gallons of fuel does an average semi take to fill up from empty? Depends on the tanks. My freightshaker has twin 100s and we run it till it takes 130-150 gallons.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Are most truck frames aluminum or steel? Steel. I've heard rumors of new experiments with aluminum.

Which engine configurations at  the most popular in current use?  Straight six or does anyone still make a V8? All the new motors are i6 afaik.

Why is first gear "low" and second first?  How long does it take to figure out how to drive all those gears, when to split and why?  Is there any overlap between low range and high? (Can it not shift from eight low to first high or some such) on a 10spd you can skip gears and from 10-4th.

Are horsepower and fuel economy commonly controlled via GPS? (Do they increase power outputs in the mountains and cut back in the plains to save fuel?) the new experimental trucks that the manufacturers are making are.

How often do you have to use the differential locks?  Why? I just used them last night, didn't help

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:41:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

What is/was your handle?

View Quote

<<<<<<<-------- '86 Pete 359, 425 hp, 13 spd trans, 3.55 rears, split locker only

CB - yes, I mostly just listen, unless travelling with an associate driver.

Cell phone use must be hands-free, no texting.

Only cops and the king's men are skilled enough to use phones, computers, electronics, while driving.

Air is used under pressure to apply service brakes, hisses when pedal is released.

air pressure is used to keep the parking / emergency brakes RELEASED, is set by big springs,

so air is released when parking brake is applied.

Air is supplied by a engine-mounted compressor, providing 8-15 cfm, at 130 psi +/-

Air tanks must be full before parking brake can be released, so sometimes it takes a minute or two to get moving.

Aerodynamics is important, so those skirts, wings, dams, work with varying amounts of success.

It takes 100 - 200 hp to push that truck and trailer through the air, just to roll down the road at 60mph.

Rarely do I see accidents happen, but have to actively avoid killing idiots all the time.

I could be in a wreck EVERY DAY, through no fault of my own, if I didn't actively avoid some idiot /asshole being stupid.

No lot lizards in my stops, but I dont use normal truck stops unless I have to.

Ziplocks - they splatter better on idiot windshields.

About 2 weeks - baby wipes, I prefer Wet Ones, can be a life saver. Or at least an ass saver.

This truck holds 250 gals, some as much as 350 gals. Last year a fill up was over $1000

100 - 300 gals is common. Depends on what the truck was designed to do.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:47:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

<<<<<<<-------- '86 Pete 359, 425 hp, 13 spd trans, 3.55 rears, split locker only

Only cops and the king's men are skilled enough to use phones, computers, electronics, while driving.

Air is used under pressure to apply service brakes, hisses when pedal is released.
air pressure is used to keep the parking / emergency brakes RELEASED, is set by big springs,
Air is supplied by a engine-mounted compressor, providing 8-15 cfm, at 130 psi +/-
Air tanks must be full before parking brake can be released, so sometimes it takes a minute or two to get moving.

Aerodynamics is important, so those skirts, wings, dams, work with varying amounts of success.
It takes 100 - 200 hp to push that truck and trailer through the air, just to roll down the road at 60mph.

Rarely do I see accidents happen, but have to actively avoid killing idiots all the time.
I could be in a wreck EVERY DAY, through no fault of my own, if I didn't actively avoid some idiot /asshole being stupid.

About 2 weeks - baby wipes, I prefer Wet Ones, can be a life saver. Or at least an ass saver.

This truck holds 250 gals, some as much as 350 gals. Last year a fill up was over $1000

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is/was your handle?

No ELD for you!!! Gonna suck when I have to get the damned thing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is/was your handle?

Haha....I'm exempt from the electronic logging rules. Working for an equipment manufacturer has a few perks. Can't be plugging into new trucks and screwing with the computer just for a delivery or altering a demo unit we'll be selling to a customer later.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is/was your handle?

And my 'new' truck is a '93 freightshaker. Same specs.

And I don't want to go to CA anyway. Fuck that commie state.

I cannot imagine EVER buying a new truck.

Ideal would be a '99 something, and just keep fixing it.

Electronic motor, but still pretty simple. No DEF, no fancy exhaust shit.

Sorta a poor man's glider kit.

I'm old, I can drive an old truck. And fix it, too.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OP, isn't that short freightliner called a suicide cab?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g200/eprsplit/1955Freightliner4.jpg
View Quote

That was the cab I saw!  But it had a stupid long frame and just wide open empty space until the fifth wheel.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Truckers, do you consider the Commercial Vehicle Information Systems and Networks (CVISN) program just another unconstitutional and intrusive infringement of a out of control over regulated nanny state?

How long before the "Gov" mandates this BS to the private sector?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top