Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 2:30:15 PM EDT
Recently I was walking downtown with my sister when a guy with about a 4' stick of #3 rebar was running in our direction smacking it on the sidewalk. He was running towards us but off to the side a few feet. I moved opposite quickly and luckily he was just crazy and passed by. What is the law on responding to that situation? I for one, would not want any part of being hit with a section of steel rod and need my brain to make a living.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd stay out of his way and be pleased when he got out of range.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#2]
If he started trying to hit you with it, I'm sure you could articulate being in fear for your life.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Immediately don my sash, 'cause sometimes a man's gotta do what a man does.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]
What would happen if you thunked someone on the head with a piece of rebar? Take some time to reflect on your question and you will have your answer!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely a deadly weapon.

I'd rather get hit with a baseball bat than a long piece of rebar.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd be more worried about a dude swinging rebar than a hammer...and hammers kill lots of people every year.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#7]
GTFO of his way and hope he keeps going, just like you did. If he's within striking distance and makes a furtive move, I guess that's a split second decision we all hope we never have to make but I'm not going to die being beaten to death with a piece of rebar if I have other options.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#8]
You sure it was #3, cuz that's fucking tiny... Like 3/8 inch.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

maybe he has small hands, so it looks large..
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#10]
A weapon if it gets used in a way to threaten someone.  The OP describes at best, vandalism to the sidewalk.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd find a way to cross the fucking street before he got into range.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Get to the most advantageous position you can (as much distance as possible, preferably with large solid objects in between) stay alert, and watch the hands.

That's really all you can do in a situation like that.  The aforementioned rebar is very much a potential deadly weapon, but in your scenario there is no evidence of any sort of eminent threat.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Recently I was walking downtown with my sister when a guy with about a 4' stick of #3 rebar was running in our direction smacking it on the sidewalk. He was running towards us but off to the side a few feet. I moved opposite quickly and luckily he was just crazy and passed by. What is the law on responding to that situation? I for one, would not want any part of being hit with a section of steel rod and need my brain to make a living.
View Quote

Responding to what "situation" exactly?
A guy running down the straight smacking the street with a length of steel?

I think you may be fabricating a bit of danger in your own mind on this one.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd immediately drop my pants and do the helicopter.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#15]
If I'm on the jury...  Hell yes it's a weapon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't want to be hit with it, if he pursues you shoot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn it op, NY just banned rebar because of this thread!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I would have bladed...not sure which angle though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If he started trying to hit you with it, I'm sure you could articulate being in fear for your life.
View Quote

If you ever ride in a car with my sister as a driver, you could articulate the same thing.  What's your point?  ;)
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#21]
OP is in Texas,  Actor simply needs "Reasonable belief that deadly force is justified"
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A.W.D.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.

Whereas I agree that as described it wouldn't elevate to pull and shoot situation, it certainly give anyone with common sense pause and reason to distance oneself
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Just scream "He's coming right at me!"

Double tap.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#24]
What exactly are you thinking should happen?  Draw and shoot him dead?  Just running down the street with a piece of rebar doesn't mean diddly squat unless he hurts or threatens someone.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Whereas I agree that as described it wouldn't elevate to pull and shoot situation, it certainly give anyone with common sense pause and reason to distance oneself
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.

Sure it does, just as in countless "situations" encountered daily by countless people...

I would pay attention and steer clear of lots of things coming down the street in a direction (generally) toward me. Doesn't necessarily warrant discussion of what law may apply to my response to any of these situations.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Absolutely a deadly weapon.

I'd rather get hit with a baseball bat than a long piece of rebar.
View Quote

I wouldnt, but I prefer neither.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A.W.D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.

Not in this day and age.  May be a new version of the knockout game.  Who knows when the guy is moving toward you with it.  It is NOT normal behavior to drag a four foot section of rebar down the road hitting the sidewalk.  I have never done it and I would bet no one else here has either.  Not normal.

We just had a thread yesterday where a poster's neighbor got killed by a guy with crowbar and made it over to his backyard before keeling over.  Piece of metal to the head is not going to end well for the recipient.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP is in Texas,  Actor simply needs "Reasonable belief that deadly force is justified"
View Quote

Reasonable belief that deadly force is immediately necessary to prevent the other's use of unlawful deadly force or attempted deadly force, or to prevent the imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.

There are other qualifications as well.  Phrases and words like "immediately necessary" imminent commission" etc, are important.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Pops a skull like an orange when swung by a man on foot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd immediately drop my pants and do the helicopter.

Preferably while doing this.  Hopefully by doing this.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually I was in San Francisco but didn't want that to skew the discussion. I was without a weapon. My sister is used to living in fear and just said not to look him in the eyes. F that, I made sure to watch his face to see if he was looking at me or in my direction.

3/8" diameter steel rod is nothing to laugh at. That can be swung very fast and break bones or cause major head trauma. No thanks. If I had my kids with me and was armed I think I would have a hard time keeping it holstered.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd try to give him some space and hopefully not be forced to go condition red on his ass.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Blade at 87 while screaming "You will not take my cookies!"
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#36]
A four foot steel bar is a deadly weapon.  I'd get out of his way, but my hand would be on my pistol in case he changed direction.  If he changed direction towards me I'd loudly suggest he reconsider the error of his ways and give him a look at a Gold Dot hollowpoint to help his thought processes head down the correct path.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you lived through it. A bludgeon is a deadly weapon.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Actually I was in San Francisco but didn't want that to skew the discussion. I was without a weapon. My sister is used to living in fear and just said not to look him in the eyes. F that, I made sure to watch his face to see if he was looking at me or in my direction.

3/8" diameter steel rod is nothing to laugh at. That can be swung very fast and break bones or cause major head trauma. No thanks. If I had my kids with me and was armed I think I would have a hard time keeping it holstered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The trick to fighting someone with a long object like that is to get inside of it when they pull it back to swing. Too often people try to stay out of it's range and fail.  Approach until just out of range, then as soon as you see them start to swing, get up close and personal.  Break the arm holding the weapon, knee to the gonads, punch to the throat.  Kick the weapon away, back off and reassess.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Once again GD delivers... whatever it is that GD delivers...

Absolutely a potentially deadly weapon, and to be treated as such.

The rest of the nonsense that's been posted for its own sake should be taken for what it is.  

For the sake of clarity, though I'm certain it'll be largely ignored by the booger-eaters-- As with any other deadly weapon, the mere possession of it isn't in itself reason to initiate deadly force (which, by the way, OP apparently did not do)  Definitely cause, though, for heightened awareness.

ETA:  OP, I'd suggest a nice walking cane for those instances where you cannot carry a firearm.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Empty hands and  feet kill more people in the US every year than rifles or shotguns...  I don't see how a hand full of rebar would be any less deadly.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

It would easily crush your skull
And easily impale you

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#42]
It can be a deadly weapon and appropriate response justified if attacked by a person using it as a weapon.

In the case where he passes by within striking distance, you are at high risk if he chooses to attack you.   Maybe you avoid looking him in the eyes but you do not take your eyes off the hand with the rebar.  Better if you can place suitable distance between you and the person.

There are plenty of crazy people around.   People who will kill just for grins.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Evasion was the proper course and yes, rebar can be used as a dangerous weapon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#44]
A screwdriver is a dangerous weapon

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I think so, I hit my shin one time swinging a 1/2  inch x 2 footer, slipped out of my hand .
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A screwdriver is a dangerous weapon

View Quote

Dem things can Getz purty dangerous!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top