User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice job on the mower.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I'd take some Devcon 2-ton epoxy and fill the cracks on the wooden rollers before they crack completely thru. Nice job OP.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got to push one of those in the 1970s, Dad too cheap to buy a gas powered mower.
View Quote

Got to push one of those through the 80's and 90's. I fucking hate them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't understand how they work. Are the blades speed increased by gearing and they just shave the grass?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]
nicely done
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't understand how they work. Are the blades speed increased by gearing and they just shave the grass?
View Quote

They work like a scissors and shear the grass between the rotating blades and a stationary one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Great job

Now get some valve grinding compound, hone the reel to the stationary bar and get to mowing.  

I have 2 of them, a 14" 15 year old and a new 20" one with plastic gears that  I just bought. There is no way this new one will last 15 years.

Gringop
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#8]
My dad pushed one in the 50's. Fortunately for me, he hated pushing that thing so much that he bought self-propelled mowers later in life.

It was my understanding that you have to push it back and forth (like how you vacuum) to get a good cut. Or maybe his dad just never sharpened the blades really well.

On the plus side, they are supposed to be good for lawns as they cut grass blades very cleanly (again, assuming sharp blades) which keeps the lawn healthier.

Eta: when I had a much smaller lawn, I mentioned to him that I might like to use a reel mower. He looked at me like I was retarded and then laughed for several minutes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They work like a scissors and shear the grass between the rotating blades and a stationary one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I see, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Great job

Now get some valve grinding compound, hone the reel to the stationary bar and get to mowing.  

I have 2 of them, a 14" 15 year old and a new 20" one with plastic gears that  I just bought. There is no way this new one will last 15 years.

Gringop
View Quote

i got 2 big tubs of 80grit and 220... problem is, no easy way to run it backwards for a long time

i had to hand spin it for a hour, but its still needs more...

i mowed my front and 1/2 of my back with it...

it sucks because its only 16" cut, my gas is 21" and i had to overlap cuts quite a bit..

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
If I had to cut grass with that I'd go fully insane. Regardless it looks good OP.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

i got 2 big tubs of 80grit and 220... problem is, no easy way to run it backwards for a long time

it sucks because its only 16" cut, my gas is 21" and i had to overlap cuts quite a bit..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great job

Gringop

When I cut grass I can feel my soul withering and I use a zero turn. How do you put up with that shit!? Drugs?

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got to push one of those in the 1970s, Dad too cheap to buy a gas powered mower.
View Quote

My friend's Grandpa had one with a REO engine !
You wrapped a rope around the pulley to start it.

That thing roared to life at about 7 MPH.

DEADLY.

And Gramps only give us a Quarter, for using it on his 1/2 acre lawn
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This one still works great, but I don't use it. I have 5 acres to mow.

http://4-riders.com/pics/CL/ExcelloMower001.jpg

I had a set of seven like this that could mow 12 feet at a time. I really wanted them to work out but they didn't, too many trees, too many weeds on my place.

http://www.4seasongreenhouse.com/images/ProMow-Gold-Series-7-gang-Mower.jpg
View Quote

I had a large gang mower like that too, and a strong weed or a little twig would stop the reel.  I finally had to get rid of it because of the frequent stoppages.
It's a shame, because it cut well up until it would jam.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I used to use one just like that when I was a kid.
View Quote

Yup.

Father finally broke down and bought a mower with engine.....still was manual push though

OP, maybe you should have filled in the cracks with a good wood-filler.  Might have made them stronger.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Triggered

I hate those things

Nice job
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
These work great behind a 4 wheeler, I don't think you can get a gas mower that does as clean a job cutting as a reel mower. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/BuzzardWing/Misc/0d69e1e3.jpg

View Quote

what about a gas reel mower
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#20]
looks nice but definetly needs the hubcaps put back on. Was green the original color? looks like red may have been.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I used to use one just like that when I was a kid.
View Quote

I think just about every male over the age of 40 did.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great job

Gringop

Mine you can just detatch the handle and flip it to hone the blases, I just ran up and down t he sidewalk a few laps and was done.

Speed
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#23]
That looks awesome! Quick question though, shouldn't it have been painted red? Or was that before everything Craftsman was red?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Your dad wasn't cheap he was smart enough to realize that he wasn't the one going to be pushing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your dad wasn't cheap he was smart enough to realize that he wasn't the one going to be pushing it.

And he knew that hard work was good for a boy. We never realize that, until we are dads ourselves.

Good job OP!
What do you mean 80% sharpened?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My dad pushed one in the 50's. Fortunately for me, he hated pushing that thing so much that he bought self-propelled mowers later in life.

It was my understanding that you have to push it back and forth (like how you vacuum) to get a good cut. Or maybe his dad just never sharpened the blades really well.

On the plus side, they are supposed to be good for lawns as they cut grass blades very cleanly (again, assuming sharp blades) which keeps the lawn healthier.

Eta: when I had a much smaller lawn, I mentioned to him that I might like to use a reel mower. He looked at me like I was retarded and then laughed for several minutes.
View Quote

I bought a brand new one 6 yrs ago, did the back yard with it all summer, good workout and it was the best the lawn looked in years
don't let it get too high , if it grows too much between cuts you have to pull out the tractor and cut it
little tiny sticks can be a huge pain in the ass
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Nice work OP...
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Great job

Gringop
View Quote

What is the honing procedure?  I had one given to me, and i think it needs sharpening and adjustment
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Me too, hated that dam thing.  Wheels would always slide over the grass and not spin the blades. As soon as I got a job out of high school I bought a freaking power mower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too, hated that dam thing.  Wheels would always slide over the grass and not spin the blades. As soon as I got a job out of high school I bought a freaking power mower.

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Needs a John Deer sticker
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What is the honing procedure?  I had one given to me, and i think it needs sharpening and adjustment

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great job

Gringop

youtube...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top