Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2016 11:17:12 PM EDT
I just got an M1 Garand "Special Grade" from the CMP (essentially a refurbished gun with new barrel/stock). I field stripped it to clean and lube everything, but now I can't reassemble it. I can get to the last step, inserting the trigger assembly into the stock and receiver, but the trigger guard won't close the last inch or so to latch everything together. It was hard to initially unlatch but I'm afraid if I use any more force to push the latch down I'll break something. Any advice? Does it just need a tremendous amount of force?

I did try it without the stock on (just the receiver and trigger assembly) and it locked up fine. Could a new stock cause this issue if it wasn't fitted properly?

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You may have installed the fork on the op rod thingy upside down.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The trigger guard should close with little more than thumb pressure.

Jump on youtube and look for an assembly video to make sure everything is correct.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The trigger guard should fit very tight on to the stock. It's okay to force it.  When they were originally built, the builders used a mallet to close the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Tight fit is good for accuracy, so I've been told.  Protect the rear sight and give the trigger guard a good whack with the palm of your hand or a plastic mallet.

Ymmv
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
If it isn't properly aligned, the trigger group won't go in.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You may have installed the fork on the op rod thingy upside down.
View Quote
That bit is definitely right-side up. It all functions as expected and matches the pictures I'm seeing in the manual and on the web.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The trigger guard should fit very tight on to the stock. It's okay to force it.  When they were originally built, the builders used a mallet to close the trigger guard.
View Quote
That will be what I try next. It just makes me nervous doing that kind of thing to a new gun.

I checked everything ant it's all put together correctly and the trigger guard is aligned properly. I'll go get my mallet...

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=62828

Cmp forum thread discussing a problem similar to yours.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a number of threads on this around the net, mine was the same way when I got it earlier this month.
The gist of things I read was that the wood is new and not yet compressed, tight lockup is a good thing, and they say that when originally made that the armorers used a wooden mallet to smack these closed. and they weren't exactly gentle about it.

I didn't have a wooden mallet, but I did have a good-sized C clamp. I put a rag on the rear of the receiver on top, and covered the forward part of the trigger guard, put the clamp on so that when tightening, it pulls the trigger guard to the rear and up. It almost seamed too easy as I tightened up on the clamp, it just smoothly pulled back and down till it locked, but I sure as hell couldn't get it to go with just my hand.
They say that over time the wood will compress a little bit and it'll get better.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#10]
The "lock up" is an important aspect of accuracy in an M1
Double check your assembly and if everything is correct go ahead and force the trigger guard down. If you have to jump on it, something ain't right. But a fair amount of pressure on a new stock is normal.

The lock up squeezes the stock between the receiver and trigger group.
In fact  I store my M1s with the trigger group unlocked so the stock doesn't compress over time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The trigger guard should close with little more than thumb pressure.

Jump on youtube and look for an assembly video to make sure everything is correct.
View Quote

No, this is incorrect.  It is optimal to have a tight lockup and have to use some force.  The armories used to have to give a good whack with a mallet to lock the trigger group.  Ober time the wood will compress and this task will become easier.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If it isn't properly aligned, the trigger group won't go in.
View Quote

Yup wiggle the trigger group around some. My M1A has a very hard lock up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, I got it on. A mallet was the key. I can't say I love that, but I guess it's better to have things a bit tight than loose.

Thanks GD. You guys are awesome.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I also have a relatively new Special Grade.
It has been taken apart only a couple times, and is definitely tougher to reinstall the trigger group than some of the older ones I've dabbled with.

As was posted earlier, I suspect it's just a fitting issue and that the wood will eventually conform slightly to make it easier.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OK, I got it on. A mallet was the key. I can't say I love that, but I guess it's better to have things a bit tight than loose.  
View Quote

No worries, that's how they were built

Make sure the lugs on the housing have a bit of lube and that the barreled action fits down in the stock correctly. Then get your rubber mallet (Harbor Freight sells one cheap), turn the rifle over (make sure the rear sight is all the way down), and give it a rap. Viola!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That will be what I try next. It just makes me nervous doing that kind of thing to a new gun.

I checked everything ant it's all put together correctly and the trigger guard is aligned properly. I'll go get my mallet...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not new, just new to you. It's rebuilt with new and/or old and reused stuff. Mallet is the key as you found.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I just got my special grade a week ago. Beautiful tiger striped stock that I'm in the process of using pure tung oil.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Make sure the lugs on the housing have a bit of lube and that the barreled action fits down in the stock correctly. Then get your rubber mallet (Harbor Freight sells one cheap), turn the rifle over (make sure the rear sight is all the way down), and give it a rap. Viola!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure whether it's Fred Mertz or Alfred Hitchcock wielding that mallet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I had the same problem.

Yesterday.

Solved by whacking the trigger guard closed with more force.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top