Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/5/2016 3:57:30 AM EDT
Does it exist?

Looking for something packable that is also robust and won't tear easily.  The less expensive stuff doesn't seem to fit that criteria very well.

I go to the online reviews and everything that gets good ratings costs several hundreds of dollars.  While I could afford that, I just don't want to spend that much on something like that right now..

For hiking at the moment I am using a USMC gore-tex jacket like the one shown here : (http://www.ebay.com/itm/USMC-APECS-GORE-TEX-PARKA-JACKET-MARPAT-WOODLAND-Large-Regular-/291752523753 that someone gave me as part of a trade for a bunch of other stuff...I could continue using that i suppose but it's one size too large, and it's also marpat.  Fine for hiking in but I'd feel like a tool wearing it out in the general public.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:00:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Frog Toggs is what it seems you seek!  Just know that some parts will wear faster, like the crotch, and you just need to be proactive in replacing them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:25:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:42:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Frogtoggs

I use them hiking and at work. Hiking gear that is light weight is not cheap!
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:48:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Froggtoggs is going to be the cheapest you can find that is still worth buying.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:59:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Frog Toggs is what it seems you seek!  Just know that some parts will wear faster, like the crotch, and you just need to be proactive in replacing them.
View Quote

Beat me to it. It's cheap and it works. Will it wear out? Eventually, but it's cheap enough to replace.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:01:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Go to llbean.com. Lots of choices with good ratings.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:09:10 AM EDT
[#7]
What's a kideny worth?
I've never spent over a hundred bucks on a rain jacket.
I've got columbia and North Face shells that I've picked up over the years on discount that I'm happy with.

I've never bought one, but the precip seems to be well regarded.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:12:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a set of FT's.  Too heavy and pack consuming.  I only pack cheap $1 plastic ponchos now, but I don't hike when it's perpetually rainy either.

If you do hike in rain, it is about impossible to keep anything dry below your knees anyway. Those cheap, pocket ponchos are fragile, but can last an amazingly long time if you take care.  If you do snag-rip one I just grab one of three I pack.  Three of them is $3, takes no room in pack. Spares can also double as sit pads, ground cloths and worn as a windbreaker.

Another option I've rolled around is an additional cuben rain kilt, but haven't sprung for one yet.  Looks like money well spent, though. I do have some scrap sil-nylon, but have been too lazy to piece something out of it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#9]
The big question is, how much heat and sweat do you generate when backpacking?

Back when I was young and doing lots of backpacking, I used a poncho with snap sides that I could put over the pack. If I used a jacket, I was just as wet from the sweat as from the rain.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:30:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I have Frogg Toggs...they're very cheap but don't breath at all and will rip very easily.  I got a small tear in my poncho on the first briar I passed.

A LOT of hikers like the Outdoor Research Helium jacket.  It's very lightweight.  

IMO, a membrane is great, but pit zips are more important.  For that reason, I bought a Columbia "Evapouration" jacket.  It uses their proprietary membrane and has pit zips.  Plus, I found mine for less than $100.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:59:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Or the Marmot Precip line.  Not the sturdiest but then again none of the lightweight rain jackets are.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have Frogg Toggs...they're very cheap but don't breath at all and will rip very easily.  I got a small tear in my poncho on the first briar I passed.

A LOT of hikers like the Outdoor Research Helium jacket.  It's very lightweight.  

IMO, a membrane is great, but pit zips are more important.  For that reason, I bought a Columbia "Evapouration" jacket.  It uses their proprietary membrane and has pit zips.  Plus, I found mine for less than $100.
View Quote

yeah, thats what i've read..Not sure what i think about having to replace a fragile piece of gear every year or so.  in the long run that adds up..

Last piece of ranger I bought was back in the mid 90's.  It was a mountain hardware gore-tex shell that saw a lot of use backpacking and bushwhacking.  That thing was bombproof..only reason I don't own it now is because it just didn't fit anymore (too large) so I sold it.  current owner is getting some use out of it apparently.

If I recall it was an "ethereal parka" and ran 2-3 hundred bucks at the time.  maybe expensive is the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:47:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Frog toggs might be OK to hike in but they are definitely not for backpacking. They do not pack very small. I have found the cabelas brand rainwear to work well and hold up. They call it Dry Plus I think.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Marmot Precip jacket and pants.

Relatively inexpensive, lightweight, jacket has pit zips (I consider these a must have).  It's 2.5 layer GoreTex, so laminate will deteriorate in high wear spots after a few seasons (neck, shoulder, crotch).
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Op have you defined the price of a kidney yet?

My .02....Frog toggs suck. I tried them and they were absolute crap that self destructed on the trail and had to duct taped to be held together. My vote for cheaper, durable rain gear is Marmot Precips. You can get into a used set for about $70-80.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Frog toggs might be OK to hike in but they are definitely not for backpacking. They do not pack very small. I have found the cabelas brand rainwear to work well and hold up. They call it Dry Plus I think.
View Quote

Depends on your available pack space. I have no problem fitting it in my Redwing, but when I upgrade to a smaller/lighter pack I'll need to go with something that crunches down much smaller.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I guess I'll be that guy, but frog toggs are pretty terrible rain gear. Not breatheable and definitely not durable. The few guys I work with that are cheap skates have duct taped together frogg toggs. Better off getting rained on!

I started using Eddie Bauer stuff when we got an outlet store by my house. Apparently they didn't sell slot of rain gear so it was on sale. Got a top/bottom set for less than $100.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#19]
If you're going to be active and hiking just get some Marmot breathable gear. Or maybe Patagonia, expensive but it has a lifetime guarantee and they will repair regular wear and tear for a fee.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey man fwiw. I wait until rei runs a sale and then I apply my dividend against it. I've managed to buy some very expensive packs for 50% off or more that way. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wouldn't want to spend all day in old style plastic raincoat backpacking
View Quote

No shit.  Goretex etc. ain't very much better.  My hiking raingear is called "little umbrella".  

Hiking in rain is miserable and dangerous.  If I'm truly hiking and carrying everything with me, I wait it out.  

I'll use a rain suit if I'm going to be hunting from a stand in rainy weather--low exertion.  I get wringing wet even when wearing 'good' raingear if I'm busy.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The big question is, how much heat and sweat do you generate when backpacking?

Back when I was young and doing lots of backpacking, I used a poncho with snap sides that I could put over the pack. If I used a jacket, I was just as wet from the sweat as from the rain.
View Quote

This

And FT don't breath worth a damn, and tear at just the sight of a snag and are a bitch to pack.

Don't go crazy expensive on rain gear but don't cheap out either
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Came in here to ask if you'd alread considered Frog Toggs.

I see it's a popular choice.

I keep sets in my car, etc. They're priced right to buy cheap and stack somewhat deep.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Pacific Trails makes stuff that does not break the bank.

It's hard to believe how god it is compared to my Marmot, OR and other branded stuff. Gander Mtn sells it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#25]
My experience with FT for hiking is not good.  They aren't very breathable and they are easily compromised on high abrasion areas, the seams rip and stretch, and thorns poke through easily.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a set of FT's.  Too heavy and pack consuming.  I only pack cheap $1 plastic ponchos now, but I don't hike when it's perpetually rainy either.

If you do hike in rain, it is about impossible to keep anything dry below your knees anyway. Those cheap, pocket ponchos are fragile, but can last an amazingly long time if you take care.  If you do snag-rip one I just grab one of three I pack.  Three of them is $3, takes no room in pack. Spares can also double as sit pads, ground cloths and worn as a windbreaker.

Another option I've rolled around is an additional cuben rain kilt, but haven't sprung for one yet.  Looks like money well spent, though. I do have some scrap sil-nylon, but have been too lazy to piece something out of it.
View Quote

I bought one of the Helium kilts this year and so far I like it.  The kilt helps air things out downstairs while you're hiking in a way that rain pants never could.  No more setting up camp with monster swamp ass/crotch after making your miles for the day.  I use some low cut gaiters with it to keep the rain out of my socks for as long as possible.  I went with The North Face Leonidas for my upper shell.  It's packable and weighs in at 11oz.  Plus the warranty that The North Face offers is outstanding.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Marmot Precip jacket and pants.

Relatively inexpensive, lightweight, jacket has pit zips (I consider these a must have).  It's 2.5 layer GoreTex, so laminate will deteriorate in high wear spots after a few seasons (neck, shoulder, crotch).
View Quote

Precip is not Gore-Tex. It uses Marmot's Nano Pro. I have the Precip full zip pants.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wouldn't want to spend all day in old style plastic raincoat backpacking
View Quote

+1. This. The amount I sweat leaves me just as wet as walking it the rain.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Frogtoggs

View Quote

Yep.

The lighter it is, the more $$$ you will spend.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're great until you start going through the bushes. Then they snag on every thorn and briar out there.

Besides, aren't they just fancy tyvek?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#32]
FT are great for rain in camp.  They suck on trail.  Wear them for more than 10 minutes and you are soaked through with sweat instead of rain.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Good luck finding cheap rain gear that you can actually backpack in.
View Quote

Seriously. In warm climates you're better off wearing just a speedo.

A good old GI poncho is relatively cheap, has other uses once you make camp. I used one for years when I was in college. Neat thing is, you can sit down for lunch, hunker down under the poncho and have an instant shelter to eat under. Old Grouch surplus has them, the owner is a member here.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Frogtoggs

View Quote

Yep.

Been backpacking for nearly 4 decades, and love my Frog Toggs.

They don't have Patagonia or TNF logos on them, so they're largely eschewed by a large segment of the backpacking community, but they work and they're cheap!

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Or the Marmot Precip line.  Not the sturdiest but then again none of the lightweight rain jackets are.

View Quote

I have a Precip jacket.  Love it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#37]
I've never been one to wear rain gear when exerting myself. Rain gear is to keep comfortable in camp or on halts.

If it's coming down that hard, seek or make shelter. Hiking is supposed to be fun.

Even the most expensive "breathable" stuff is a sauna inducer if you're sweating.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've never been one to wear rain gear when exerting myself. Rain gear is to keep comfortable in camp or on halts.

If it's coming down that hard, seek or make shelter. Hiking is supposed to be fun.

Even the most expensive "breathable" stuff is a sauna inducer if you're sweating.
View Quote

This is good advice.

If it's really coming down, and you still want to keep walking, carry an umbrella.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
And while we're at it, how about a useable backpack that doesn't cost as much as a used Glock?  
View Quote

USMC ILBE.

You can cut off the extra MOLLE and pouches.  It's really just an Arc'teryx pack in MARPAT .

They are a great bang for the buck.  Mine cost $85.  Plenty of online tutorials on how to make them more "usable" for hiking/camping
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I use a poncho...really waterproof and very breathable
They can be had large enough to cover a pack also...but I use a duck back for my pack.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
And while we're at it, how about a useable backpack that doesn't cost as much as a used Glock?  
View Quote

1. Light
2. Cheap
3. Quality

Pick 2 Check out the ILBE, its not too bad and won't break the bank.

Ive got Marmot Minimalist and its great, got the set for around $250 on sale from Backcountry.

You could also try REI's house brand and take it back if it doesn't hold up.

I tend to have 1 set (Marmot) of gear for day/overnight trips, and another better set (Patagonia) for when Im in the backcountry and exposure would kill me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is good advice.

If it's really coming down, and you still want to keep walking, carry an umbrella.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/Jth48.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is good advice.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/Jth48.jpg

Sheesh, that shit make Pajama Boy look hard core.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Just keep an eye out on Sierra Trading Post and Steep and Cheep.  I think I paid about $100 for my North Face Venture pants and jacket.  They both pack down to into their own pockets and don't weigh much.  They live in the brain of my pack.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Kuiu is made to be used packing. The Teton line is pretty cheap. Check them out. I have a ton of Kuiu gear now. Love it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#46]
I just wear my old army gortex, fuck what everyone thinks.

Plus the hippies will think I'm some crazy army asshole and stay away.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good. Inexpencive. Lightweight.

Pick two.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plenty good deals out there.

I got a new Osprey volt 60 for 130 shipped.  Just gotta shop it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What's a kideny worth?
I've never spent over a hundred bucks on a rain jacket.
I've got columbia and North Face shells that I've picked up over the years on discount that I'm happy with.

I've never bought one, but the precip seems to be well regarded.
View Quote

I have a Marmot Precip - got it on sale for $70.

I tell you what. No rain gear is going to work great if you are hiking pretty fast and it's raining hard. You'll either get soaked with rain or soaked with sweat. However, if you are stationary the precip is pretty good. I did wear one in a high altitude downpour (very rare occurance) and eventually it got pretty soaked. For casual walking in the city, it's really good.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top