Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2016 11:07:07 PM EDT
My brain is hurting trying to find something that specifically addresses my situation and it's late.  Bottom line is this, my daughter bought a handgun, filled out form 4473 herself.  Some time later she later moved out of state and did not have permanent living arrangements, and not knowing what she'd be running into she left it with me.  Now she wants it.  It's hers, I am simply in possession of it.  Everything I found seemed to be about shipping to a buyer.  This is not the case.  Is there a way to ship it direct to her?  If not, I assume it has to go through an FFL????
Can arfcom wisdom help me?  I'd appreciate it.

In before someone flames me for seeking legal advice on this site.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I've wondered this same exact thing recently. In for answers, I guess.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#2]
She is allowed to ship it to herself, have her send you a shipping label.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not a lawyer, but I understand this to be correct.

Have "her" ship it to herself.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes... she can ship it to herself.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no transfer of ownership, so you should be able to just ship it to her. If it were me, I would send it overnight.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:24:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Use her name to ship it to her and her return address and all is good.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Your daughter can ship it to herself in another state. You are not your daughter. If you ship it, it has to go to an FFL.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Whatever you do, do not try to use USPS.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#9]
If your daughter pays for the shipping label with her own credit card and the package is shipped to her verifiable address... she's shipping it to herself.  So what if someone else drops it off at the shipper for her.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:16:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This and you are good to go. Like others said I'd package it well and so that there is no obvious  clues that it's a gun to lower chances of theft.

I wouldn't mention it to the shipper she uses either, often times they don't know their own policies and or laws. It's always frustrating trying to show people that it really is okay.

On a side note, I'm sorry she ended up in Giddings.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

USPS will not ship handguns unless it is from FFL to FFL.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Are you never going to see her again?

If not, just wait until you or her fly/drive to visit.

Unless she needs a gun immediately.

If so, go to the local pawn shop and buy one.

She needs more than one anyway.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I can understand why feels the need to be armed in Giddings.  

If she doesn't have a Fedex account have her get one. It's free. She can then create a shipping label and email it to you. Print that out to put on the package.

She should chose Priority Overnight and Direct Signature Required. That's to prevent it being left on the porch or signed for by a neighbor. Someone at her address will have to sign for it.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This and you are good to go. Like others said I'd package it well and so that there is no obvious  clues that it's a gun to lower chances of theft.

I wouldn't mention it to the shipper she uses either, often times they don't know their own policies and or laws. It's always frustrating trying to show people that it really is okay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would also see if said daughter could ship you some fresh sausage on dry ice from Giddings City Market.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:55:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. It's stupid but you'd go to jail if you tried OP.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:57:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a similar situation with a friend in OR. He had a residence in CA and wanted one of his guns shipped to himself. He consulted an attorney who specialized in firearm law in CA who said "No way!" After researching the issue I called BS and sent the attorney the specific ATF code. He said, "I guess you can ship your own gun to yourself." He had the gun shipped to his address in his name and had no problems even with the local sheriff who signed off on his cwp.

The gun has to be addressed to the owner and the package can only be opened by the owner. That is only if the gun is legal in the destination. If the gun is not legal in the destination then ownership is irrelevant, it is still illegal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:05:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are you never going to see her again?

If not, just wait until you or her fly/drive to visit.

Unless she needs a gun immediately.

If so, go to the local pawn shop and buy one.

She needs more than one anyway.
View Quote

This.  

The amount of money it will cost to ship it Fedex or UPS would go a good way toward paying for gas on a trip down there.  Oh and you can only ship it via a FedEx or UPS hub.  The smaller locations won't take hanguns.  2nd day air is legal on a handgun and is cheaper than overnight but I think both carriers want you to ship overnight.  

I'd just drive it there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:23:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice thought on those suggesting to just hop in the car and drive it on over, but that is a hell of a drive, both ways.  Two day trip each way with sleep and rest breaks, plus gas, plus missed work or things that need to get done.

https://www.google.com/search?q=va+to+tx&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Possibly driving through states with different transport laws than you are familiar with.  I'd ship via recommended options.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:36:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Never understood why people over complicate things. Put the pistol in a box, take it to UPS or FedEx and ship it to her. It's pretty damn simple. Nobody knows what's in the box and you don't tell anyone what's in the box. Don't get any easier than that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Best way I would know how to do it would be to get with your FFL because he can drop it in the mail and ship it for pennies to a FFL on your Daughters end compared to having to do that next day air crap with UPS, that stuff is mighty costly trust me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Shall not be infringed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#22]
It's her gun... she is the owner... just go to the FedEx or UPS website... print a damn overnight label addressed to her / from her with signature required and ship it...
Totally legal

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's her gun... she is the owner... just go to the FedEx or UPS website... print a damn overnight label addressed to her / from her with signature required and ship it...Totally legal

View Quote

Except the physical act of shipping was not performed by the owner.

Or you can decide how you look in a jail uniform for shipping it and she can decide for receiving it.

Tell her to come home and retrieve her property or YOU can send it to an FFL in the state she now resides in.
She will need correct ID to retrieve it from the FFL.

Do not play games with BATFE.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Or you can decide how you look in a jail uniform for shipping it and she can decide for receiving it.

Tell her to come home and retrieve her property or YOU can send it to an FFL in the state she now resides in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's her gun... she is the owner... just go to the FedEx or UPS website... print a damn overnight label addressed to her / from her with signature required and ship it...Totally legal

Fine.

She can do everything online and schedule to have the shipper pick it up.

Or is the actual act of packaging it going to cause the OP to 'play games' with the BATFE?
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Your daughter can ship it to herself in another state. You are not your daughter. If you ship it, it has to go to an FFL.
View Quote

This is correct from my understanding.
Dont risk it, ship to ffl and send her some cash for the transfer fee.
She's your lil girl and will appreciate it.

I did Texas to Va years ago, to gift my son a pistol he wanted.
No big deal, sent it to his ffl.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Never understood why people over complicate things. Put the pistol in a box, take it to UPS or FedEx and ship it to her. It's pretty damn simple. Nobody knows what's in the box and you don't tell anyone what's in the box. Don't get any easier than that.
View Quote

This will totally work, UNTIL it's lost and there is an investigation.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the answer you should listen to !!
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably because UPS guidelines state you must, not to mention, good luck with an insurance claim if anything happens to it and you don't declare it.
"When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk."
https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

"(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title18/html/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap44-sec922.htm

"Based on the above provision, if a firearm or ammunition is being shipped to one of the indicated classes of licensees, it is not required that the shipper be notified of the package contents.  However, an individual shipper has the ability to require such notification if they so desire before accepting a package for shipment."
http://www.1bad69.com/gallery/GunStuff/shipping/batf1.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top