Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2016 1:46:30 PM EDT
This isn't to fear monger at all. Most of us have been through 2008 and 2012 scares at least. I was too young for the actual ban.

So hypothetically speaking, how would a bill gave to be written (or could it) to ban not just the manufacturing of the registered receivers (I'm talking any gun here although we all know how awesome it is to build up an AR rifle starting with just a lower) but also ban gun parts that are dependent on the gun physically working. Such as the barrel, upper receivers (AR's), bolts, etc.

I'm just trying to figure out where my focus should be. I don't want to have a bunch of lowers around if there is a ban on the parts to make them (I'm not sure this could happen, which is partly why I'm asking) when I could build full rifles now but have less lowers.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Stock up on A2 handguards.  Clinton said she would ban those first.  I have around 30 sets I'll sell you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Given the advances in 3D printing technology, not to mention the sheer number of milling machines and lathes in this country, I don't think the government could come close to enforcing a ban.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stock up on A2 handguards.  Clinton said she would ban those first.  I have around 30 sets I'll sell you.
View Quote

Hardy har har.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Given the advances in 3D printing technology, not to mention the sheer number of milling machines and lathes in this country, I don't think the government could come close to enforcing a ban.
View Quote

I agree with that, but my question was hypothetically they did, is there a legal way to also ban parts that are dependent for the function of a firearm?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#5]
If parts are ever illegal I promise to invent a desk lamp with an overly complicated switch that happens to also be a LPK.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Have the ATF valid classify barrels and upper receivers as "firearms"

Scary shit right there ^^^
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Ammo is a priority.  We have all experienced the depth and duration of panic buying. It's best to have a shootable stash. Springs are a low priority.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This isn't to fear monger at all. Most of us have been through 2008 and 2012 scares at least. I was too young for the actual ban.

So hypothetically speaking, how would a bill gave to be written (or could it) to ban not just the manufacturing of the registered receivers (I'm talking any gun here although we all know how awesome it is to build up an AR rifle starting with just a lower) but also ban gun parts that are dependent on the gun physically working. Such as the barrel, upper receivers (AR's), bolts, etc.

I'm just trying to figure out where my focus should be. I don't want to have a bunch of lowers around if there is a ban on the parts to make them (I'm not sure this could happen, which is partly why I'm asking) when I could build full rifles now but have less lowers.
View Quote

already been written. heres the 2015 version of bill clintons NEW assault weapon / magazine / spare parts ban.  it bans receivers and parts. if you already own them your GTG, but you cant buy and NEWLY manufactured parts. whatever is made before the ban goes into effect, are gtg... nothing after it though... although you MIGHT be able to send a gun to the manufacturer to be repaired.

also.... it DOES mention " spare parts".....

(L) Any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraphs (A) through (K) can be assembled.

(M) The frame or receiver of a rifle or shotgun described in subparagraph (A), (B), (C), (F), (G), (H), (J), or (K).
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1856400_new_assault_weapon_ban____WOULD_BAN_GUN_PARTS___lpk_s__bcg_s__barrels__etc_basically.html
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, but my question is, could they?  Laws, classifications, they all change and can change.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

already been written.

Thanks, I'll read up.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1856400_new_assault_weapon_ban____WOULD_BAN_GUN_PARTS___lpk_s__bcg_s__barrels__etc_basically.html

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]
The only action the government could reasonably take is to just kill everyone who has ever owned a firearm.

I'm pretty sure that is how the next bill will be enacted.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#13]
No one knows
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, but my question is, could they?  Laws, classifications, they all change and can change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would seem you've just answered your own question.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No one knows
View Quote

yes we do... look at my link.  that's what they WANT to pass. its not a secret.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Bolt carrier groups were out of stock for like 2 years during The Panic because steel or something used to make them were tough to find.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Evil features
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They would have to ban half of the lowest and home depot hardware isles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with that, but my question was hypothetically they did, is there a legal way to also ban parts that are dependent for the function of a firearm?

They would have to ban half of the lowest and home depot hardware isles.

What about the highest hardware store aisles?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, what you really need is A2 grips. I have a few dozen I'll sell you for top dollar as they will not be available for long.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If parts are ever illegal I promise to invent a desk lamp with an overly complicated switch that happens to also be a LPK.https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZYk0olUgAAsjnc.jpg

View Quote

My lamp is full size and has more uh lighting accessories.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
South Africa is like that IIRC

Have a customer that goes there often to shoot/hunt has mentioned that

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I think you could see the manufacture or import of defining characteristics of a banned weapon banned too.  Things like flash suppressors, collapsible stocks, pistol grips, bayonet mounts, etc. could get added to the same list as more-than-ten-round magazines.  Threaded barrels could be threatened as well after all the manufacturers simply swapped compensators for flash suppressors during the 1994 AWB.

I do think you will see lower part kits, uppers, BCGs, barrels, gas tubes, etc. remain available since they can be used to complete a non-banned weapon.

I would prefer to have my lowers complete rather than stripped.  I think upper parts should remain available even though you may give up the flash suppressor and maybe certain rails/handguards.

Of course this is pure speculation on my part.  I'm just basing it on the previously used items the liberals use to define an assault weapon.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Use your imagination. In just two election cycles of Liberal-Progressives "victories" they could enact, enforce and validate ANY "gun control" fantasy that you could think of. Don't assume that there will be any sort of "grandfathering" of your existing collections and stashes of ammo,mags and parts. If we don't stay vigilant, the 2A could be eliminated as easily as if it were penned on a post-it note.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If parts are ever illegal I promise to invent a desk lamp with an overly complicated switch that happens to also be a LPK.https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZYk0olUgAAsjnc.jpg

View Quote
As a former SAW gunner....I want one. Needs a little different lampshade on it.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, the federal government could certainly try to ban certain firearms, parts and similar such items----but then again, they certainly were not/have not been very successful when it has come to things such as alcohol, gambling, prostitution, marijuana, cocaine, meth, heroin and the like.......
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think you could see the manufacture or import of defining characteristics of a banned weapon banned too.  Things like flash suppressors, collapsible stocks, pistol grips, bayonet mounts, etc. could get added to the same list as more-than-ten-round magazines.  Threaded barrels could be threatened as well after all the manufacturers simply swapped compensators for flash suppressors during the 1994 AWB.

I do think you will see lower part kits, uppers, BCGs, barrels, gas tubes, etc. remain available since they can be used to complete a non-banned weapon.

I would prefer to have my lowers complete rather than stripped.  I think upper parts should remain available even though you may give up the flash suppressor and maybe certain rails/handguards.

Of course this is pure speculation on my part.  I'm just basing it on the previously used items the liberals use to define an assault weapon.
View Quote

nope.  if the parts will fit a banned weapon, they are illegal to manufacture or sell.. period.  in the proposed ban I listed, they say for example.., ak-47,, etc, etc, and ANYTHING  that LOOKS like a ak-47, ALL clones, copies, etc. so you can remove all the features you want, bayonet lug, flash hider, pistol grip, etc, it will STILL be illegal to import or manufacture them.. AND the parts are illegal to import or manufacture as well.

I'm not saying it will be passed, ever.... I'm just saying they learned from the failure of the 1994 ban, and they have taken steps to ensure the next ban will fill all of those pesky " loopholes".
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Rip off some European polities and serialize the barrels as the legal entity; not receivers.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I have multiple LPKs for my rifles.............as well as bolts and firing pins..............but do I need an extra bolt carrier for each rifle as well?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
already been written. heres the 2015 version of bill clintons NEW assault weapon / magazine / spare parts ban.  it bans receivers and parts. if you already own them your GTG, but you cant buy and NEWLY manufactured parts. whatever is made before the ban goes into effect, are gtg... nothing after it though... although you MIGHT be able to send a gun to the manufacturer to be repaired.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

(L) Any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraphs (A) through (K) can be assembled.

(M) The frame or receiver of a rifle or shotgun described in subparagraph (A), (B), (C), (F), (G), (H), (J), or (K).

Which is why I question the logic of buying tons of lowers. The parts to build the rest of the rifle may not be available and you will be stuck with them.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#30]
They have been trying for a long time to go after specific parts to basically backdoor ban guns.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Which is why I question the logic of buying tons of lowers. The parts to build the rest of the rifle may not be available and you will be stuck with them.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well, back when they did the 1994 ban, anything manufactured BEFORE the deadline was ok to own or sell. the magazine manufacturers made high cap mags 24/7 until the cut off. as a result, you could still buy niw mags in 2004, 10 years later... the day before the ban ended, as they never sold everything that was made 10 years earlier.  

of course parts are more difficult to make than mags, and in my experience theres a shitload more mags running around  than parts kits.  but if someone imported a fuck load of ar / ak parts, they would still be legal to resell, and own.  but your correct, I think there are shitloads more stripped lowers in the wild, than the parts kits to build them all.

a ban like this would INSTANTLY produce neck beards selling parts kits, etc for 10x-20x original prices.  if you don't have them in your possession, then you might not ever get them.

EVERYTHING I have ever seen though, with ANY chance of passing... grandfathers EVERYTHING up front.... as well as leo exemptions. of course they can try to change that later, but up front you will get to keep it.  

I agree that in reality, people can make more parts with home equipment.... but reselling it?  all it takes is a " informant", one guy get caught with it, ( or get caught with anything / doing anything illegal, and to help himself, he rats you out.. your manufacturing new parts, that are illegal, to build illegal weapons.  BOOM.. prison.  if you already own it.. you might get to keep it forever... but making new shit? that would be illegal instantly.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#32]
In 1934, the NFA was passed.  It's 2016, and machinegun parts are still out there.

OTOH, good luck trying to buy imported steel core 7.62x39 ammo or a lightning link.  And if you even possess ammo in DC or MA without a gun registered in that caliber, you are going to jail.

Hard to say how bad future gun laws will suck.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#33]
The thing I'm most worried about are the lower parts kits.. The lower receivers can be 3D printed these days. A ban on the lower parts kits would likely be the end of the AR15 for a while..
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#34]

These got me through the first ban just fine . . . and they're still sitting in the exact same spot that they were in '94.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#35]
If they truly ban all of it then building guns only becomes easier.  Quite literally the only thing stopping me, and many of you out there, from building open-bolt submachine guns is the written law.  The weapons themselves are comically simple compared to even the most basic semi-auto.

If any gun I build is going to be illegal anyway, you can bet your ass I'll be making integrally suppressed SMGs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't worry I was told the republicans will stop them .
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

These got me through the first ban just fine . . . and they're still sitting in the exact same spot that they were in '94.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20120422/Shop_1024.jpg
View Quote

Ban those too
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ban those too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20120422/Shop_1024.jpg

Ban those too

Hillary Clinton says....

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#39]
If they ban all parts, then the fed gov has gone rogue, and laws don't matter anymore.  You can only carry one or maybe 2 at a time, and once that party starts then the true purpose of the 2A will be in full effect.
Unless you're too sissy to fight back, you'll need to be out using those uppers and lowers, not hiding in your ammo fort inventorying parts...
In the event Hitlery does end up in the white house, the only questions left to ask yourself will be whether you are a free man or not, and do you want to die on your feet, or live on your knees?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:13:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well, the federal government could certainly try to ban certain firearms, parts and similar such items----but then again, they certainly were not/have not been very successful when it has come to things such as alcohol, gambling, prostitution, marijuana, cocaine, meth, heroin and the like.......
View Quote

That's because they didn't ban firearms, first.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:18:04 AM EDT
[#41]
The liberals learned from their mistakes in the 94 AWB, the biggest of which was grandfathering existing weapons.

In other words, if they get another AWB you won't have anything to put parts in.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:20:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

*Added to wish list*

Lemme know when your newsletter comes out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:23:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ammo is a priority.  We have all experienced the depth and duration of panic buying. It's best to have a shootable stash. Springs are a low priority.

View Quote

This.
Mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:11:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Federal is tougher and even the ban states aren't there yet. But other countries do regulate more. Is it possible? Likely. But kind of doubtful IMO. But they can simply ban all receivers, slides and require them to be serialized. And we can help them write better bills, like how they read Calguns and revise their bills based on what people post there.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:19:38 AM EDT
[#45]
A2 flash hiders.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:38:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
No. Everyone has ammo. You can get ammo. You might have to pay for it but you can get it even during a shortage.

Parts? No fucking way.

Who has spare barrels, LPK's, and bolts laying around except Arfcommers?

No one knows what will happen. Spread your money around. Buy some ammo but don't ignore parts especially magazines and bolts.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:41:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
No. Everyone has ammo. You can get ammo. You might have to pay for it but you can get it even during a shortage.  

Parts? No fucking way.

No one knows what will happen. Spread your money around. Buy some ammo but don't ignore parts especially magazines and bolts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parts? No fucking way.

I actually cataloged my LPKs yesterday and was a bit frightened that I have less than 10.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:45:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Federal is tougher and even the ban states aren't there yet. But other countries do regulate more. Is it possible? Likely. But kind of doubtful IMO. But they can simply ban all receivers, slides and require them to be serialized. And we can help them write better bills, like how they read Calguns and revise their bills based on what people post there.
View Quote

Highlighted for emphasis.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:18:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
is there a legal way to also ban parts that are dependent for the function of a firearm?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
is there a legal way to also ban parts that are dependent for the function of a firearm?

Constructive intent.

Quoted:
In 1934, the NFA was passed.  It's 2016, and machinegun parts are still out there.

Not in any significant numbers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:18:53 AM EDT
[#50]
IMO bbls will eventually be the critical e!ement defining a "firearm". 3D printing will make a lot of other parts consumer-makeable. bbls? Prolly not...so that's what they'll switch to, from receivers like they use now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top