Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2016 10:47:48 AM EDT
I looked at Breitbart yesterday and this was one of the articles: http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/05/14/method-behind-madness-craziest-sjw-phd-dissertations/

My curiosity was piqued.

They used this as one of the examples.

Education for Whom?
Word Problems as Carriers of Cultural Values
Abstract

Is the mathematics presented in textbooks, trade books and standardized tests neutral? Drawing from critical theory and feminist epistemologies, the purpose of this research is to examine mathematics curricular materials through the lens of two questions: “What is valued?” and “Knowledge for whom?” Findings indicate that mathematics texts contain multiple examples of problems that reify hegemony, the exploitation of people, and a marked disregard for the environment. This article includes ways mathematics educators can reconceptualize mathematics texts as inextricably linked to cultural reproduction and furthermore, to use these insights to build ways that mathematics educators can disrupt the current narratives of inequity, waste, exploitation and the privileging of particularly narrow perspectives in mathematics education and replace them with more equitable, inclusive, sustainable and critical perspectives.
View Quote

In short, you only think that 1+1=2 because you are oppressed.

I wanted to see if it was a real publication. It is.

http://www.freireproject.org/taboo/

http://www.freireproject.org/download/journals/taboo/05bright.pdf

It's part of The Freire Project, which seems to be a pile of "academic" journals straight out of The Frankfurt School (of Marxist indoctrination.) The other titles at the first link are equally interesting/amusing. One of their other works is The International Journal Of Critical Pedagogy. Critical pedagogy is an extension of critical theory, in which comrade academician tells everyone that their system sucks and when they tell him that his system sucks, he sends them to the gulag. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_theory

I'm also curious if any of our comrade academicians have an objective way to determine if anybody reads this crap.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#1]
When facts are bigoted you can disregard them, perfect for liberals.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The result of Publish or Perish.

It doesn't have to be right, it just has to be written.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have one trigglypuff and a 3/4 ton truck overflowing with Twinkies, how many fingers will you lose if you try to eat one?
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I tried reading some of this gibberish, seriously it sounds as if the author is just stringing a bunch of SJW buzzwords together.

Here are some examples:

"One of the most common themes that emerged in the examples participants
identified in their mathematics texts was that of consumerism and acquisitiveness.
Dozens of problems were identified that focused on purchasing items, with the
stated goal often being to acquire the maximum quantity for minimum cost. The
problems were mostly rooted in the perspective of the consumer, serving to normalize
and routinize the act of shopping, reinforcing the ideals of capitalism and
framing the students as buyers. Some of the items featured in problems included
laptops, televisions, jackets, cars, a scooter, and a mildly baffling, no-picture-included
problem about a "snowskate.” "A boy asked me what it was, and I had to
go Google it,” explained a participant."

So using math in order to determine prices and value is racist? Consumerist? Capitalist? I dunno. Seems like math is needed to determine the price of things. Even fucking communist economies still have stores.

And another:

"First, the phrasing of the problem states that breakfast consists of options, and
that the reader has a choice in what to select for the meal. While this may be the
case for some students, there are also many students who received free or reduced
price meals at school, and as such, have no choice in what they are served."

So using the prices of breakfast items is classist? racist? somethingist? because some people don't have to pay for breakfast and instead get it for free from the tax payers?

FUCK!!!

THIS MORONS WHOLE FUCKING PREMISE IS BASED ON THE FACT THAT MATH IS RACIST BECAUSE POOR PEOPLE SHOULD GET SHIT FOR FREE AND THEREFORE DON'T NEED TO FIGURE OUT THE VALUSE OF STUFF!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!  

fuck
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#5]
How did the world reach this point?

That looks like gibberish. I've seen 2nd graders compose better nonsense.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

When you haven't the aptitude to understand the facts you can call them other things to objectify and villify them.

Math is hard, therefore it is wrong.

I suck at math because I suck at math.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Crackademics.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#8]
My math teacher hated me: "There's a train leaving the station at five o'clock. Be on it."
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#9]

What a load of crap, most of which I didn't understand  

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#10]
See my sigline.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you think facts can be bigoted, you might be a liberal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm also curious if any of our comrade academicians have an objective way to determine if anybody reads this crap.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, there is a way to track citation hits on academic articles.

Quoted:

Because it is crap, deliberately written in a way to misuse and confuse words and phrases to appear intelligent, because the author is merely clever, but not actually smart.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have access to it?
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I recall a professor explaining how it works, but no, I do not.

IM DK-Prof, he probably knows, but most professors probably wouldn't or simply don't care how often they are cited in academic research.

Also, certain "academic" journals are considered absolute trash within actual academia, and typically prohibited by quality professors as academic sources on any subject.

ETA: These are the sources that the MSM loves to shill and create panic over, because "academic research/source" sounds awesome in a 15 second sound bite.

DK-Prof may be able to offer more insight into that as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#15]
So "If Peter has 4 Apples and Sally has 2 Apples, how many more apples does Peter have" is just Men teaching kids that Women are supposed to make less wages per hour than Men?
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Does this mean I can get my PH.D. if I string some incomprehensible ideas together and just tell others they are too privileged to comprehend it??
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm triggered.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Does this mean I can get my PH.D. if I string some incomprehensible ideas together and just tell others they are too privileged to comprehend it??
View Quote

Yes. You have to learn the buzzwords first though. Insert a random one every five words and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Because it is crap, deliberately written in a way to misuse and confuse words and phrases to appear intelligent, because the author is merely clever, but not actually smart.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True. A smart man would have used the simplest language possible to appeal to the widest audience and eliminate any chance of miscommunication.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

True. A smart man would have used the simplest language possible to appeal to the widest audience and eliminate any chance of miscommunication.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A quote attributed to Mark Twain: "I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead."
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." -Albert Einstein

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So "If Peter has 4 Apples and Sally has 2 Apples, how many more apples does Peter have" is just Men teaching kids that Women are supposed to make less wages per hour than Men?
View Quote

Are you a wizard?
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
You better give up an apple if you cared this first thing about equality MFer! and another, if you are smart, to show your shame for the historical oppression.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top