Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2016 9:52:51 PM EDT
My home is presently cooled by window units. If i have a ductwork system with central air added to my home, can i expect a money loss in that investment, if i were to have the house appraised right after the install?

Edit: By association, i can get about 40% off the labor cost of the job.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Somewhat of a selling point here in the Sonoran Desert.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely a money loss, not matter how you look at it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Install it for your comfort and electric savings.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#4]
No home improvement is going to give you a dollar for dollar return.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on if you're paying full retail to a heating & cooling company or getting the equipment for cost and installed for near free by a friend in the business.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless it's a trailer, central air has been a must for the last 30 years
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I would think with island living that central AC would be a rare commodity.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I would not purchase a home that did not have it. May have trouble selling for market value without it. Depending on location of course.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would think with island living that central AC would be a rare commodity.
View Quote

Yeah, i truly reside in a northeastern state whose fearless leader happens to hate freedom.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Not way up here where I can look out the window and see Canada across Lake Superior.

AC?  Open the window, maybe turn on a fan at night during the absolute two hottest weeks of summer.  Too hot during the day?  Go jump in the 60 degree lake.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry, but where the heck is MP? I wouldn't buy a home unless it had central air, but I might be confused on where you live. Maybe it's Mount Polar or somewhere else cold......
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't do it for the monetary value, do it for the comfort and ease.  Who wants to keep lugging window units twice a year?

I live in WA where AC is considered out of the norm.  When I purchased my most recent house, central AC was the first thing I installed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sorry, but where the heck is MP? I wouldn't buy a home unless it had central air, but I might be confused on where you live. Maybe it's Mount Polar or somewhere else cold......
View Quote

Funny, I was thinking the same thing, "Where the hell is MP"?  Even asked the wife and she said "WAT" ?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I could not live without central air, short of some kind of catastrophe or apocalyptic scenario. NO way in HELL I'd consider buying a place without it, I mean as a primary residence. Hunting cabin, sure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Northern Mariana Islands
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Unless it's a trailer, central air has been a must for the last 30 years
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#18]
IMO, yes.

I would never comsider buying a property with any window units.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its a US territory called the Marianas Pacific islands, where there was unfortunately an antigun supreme court ruling recently (I think).
I dont actually live there, but would have preferred to, until recently.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#20]
get a multi-zone split heat pump. Not that popular in the US but we used them a lot overseas because of the brick/concrete type construction. Much easier to heat/cool multiple rooms without having to run ductwork. Depends on the size of the house though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No home improvement is going to give you a dollar for dollar return.
View Quote

Grow room.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Its a US territory called the Marianas Pacific islands, where there was unfortunately an antigun supreme court ruling recently (I think).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it was a pro gun ruling.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:11:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Northern Mariana Islands
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Northern Mariana Islands

Then fuck ya I'd need central AC

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Im going with the wont add perhaps more of a break even.  I would look at your neighbors if they all have window units then people buy there will expect that.  I lived somewhere that was chuck full of shitty houses that all had shitty window units, $300k?  600k?  window units, like a weird throwback to the 60s.  A place like that, all the locals expected window units unless it was new construction.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:10:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Definitely a money loss, not matter how you look at it.
View Quote

I call BS on that statement.

Last summer we had heat pumps & ducts installed in our house (previously NO A/C and only electric ceiling heat. We used 2 window units...1 rather large for the main living area).  Our electric bill was cut in half. $100-150 in savings a month sure does add up.

And yes, there will be added home value when it comes time to sell based on my experience house hunting for the past 1.5 years...
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:17:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My home is presently cooled by window units. If i have a ductwork system with central air added to my home, can i expect a money loss in that investment, if i were to have the house appraised right after the install?

Edit: By association, i can get about 40% off the labor cost of the job.
View Quote

For that 40% off, will that mean you will be crawling through the attic to install the ductwork?  If so, how far apart are the joists and do you have the popcorn texture on your ceiling?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top