Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2016 2:43:02 PM EDT

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
No last-round bolt catch? No bolt catch at all? Charging handle still on the wrong side?

Not perfect.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I may never own a Valmet, but I did go out and get the Tech Sights with the replacement dust cover, for the same reasons why the Fins and the Israelis did. (the factory AK sight placement and blade suck).

One of these days I'll probably modify my Saiga dust cover to fit the Tech Sight, as it looks way better than the one that comes with it.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The AK perfected was the fall of the Berlin Wall.  Then the former Combloc countries could get real rifles.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I always liked the Cheese grater grip and tubular stock M-62.  I was in Finland in the early 80's and would see columns of 50 kids on bicycles with them on their backs on logging roads.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually the RK95 is the "perfected" version.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#6]
The "Finnished" AK.

I had a 71, 76 and 78. Wanted the 76 with the folding stock like Robin Williams used in Survivors movie. Soooooo cool.

They are good guns but just nicer AKs. Had a Galil, too. Damn I wish I hadn't let that one go.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always liked the Cheese grater grip and tubular stock M-62.  I was in Finland in the early 80's and would see columns of 50 kids on bicycles with them on their backs on logging roads.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/Valmet/Valmet_M62WoodTube.jpg
View Quote

Those were supposed to be very fragile.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a m76 folder. Smooth shooting and accurate. It reminded me of something HK built. Should've never sold it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I may never own a Valmet, but I did go out and get the Tech Sights with the replacement dust cover, for the same reasons why the Fins and the Israelis did. (the factory AK sight placement and blade suck).

One of these days I'll probably modify my Saiga dust cover to fit the Tech Sight, as it looks way better than the one that comes with it.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd79/brownj255/Firearms/20150609_201635_zpsaj82chif.jpg
View Quote

Nice blaster!
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The "Finnished" AK.

I had a 71, 76 and 78. Wanted the 76 with the folding stock like Robin Williams used in Survivors movie. Soooooo cool.

They are good guns but just nicer AKs. Had a Galil, too. Damn I wish I hadn't let that one go.
View Quote

That's the first thing I think of whenever someone mentions the Valmet too, I wanted one ever since I first saw that movie way back when. Haven't managed to get one...yet.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#11]
IIRC, the Russian soldiers in "Firefox" used Valmet rifles to shoot the scientists before Clint Eastwood stole their jet

Quoted:

That's the first thing I think of whenever someone mentions the Valmet too, I wanted one ever since I first saw that movie way back when. Haven't managed to get one...yet.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d8/9c/fd/d89cfd8b4303e9b27313526311e1306c.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The "Finnished" AK.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d8/9c/fd/d89cfd8b4303e9b27313526311e1306c.jpg

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
IIRC, the Russian soldiers in "Firefox" used Valmet rifles to shoot the scientists before Clint Eastwood stole their jet

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The "Finnished" AK.

The AK's in Red Dawn were Valmets modified to look like Russian AK's, from what I remember.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No last-round bolt catch? No bolt catch at all? Charging handle still on the wrong side?

Not perfect.
View Quote

Gosh it doesn't have a forward assist either. Gross!
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The "Finnished" AK.

"He's slicker than whale shit in an ice flow!"

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought those were Egyptian AKs............

Quoted:

The AK's in Red Dawn were Valmets modified to look like Russian AK's, from what I remember.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The "Finnished" AK.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Still a 6moa rifle?

No thanks
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Like the Herby Curby of trash cans.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Stgw 90  is AK(ish) perfected

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah they were, same as the VC who had him in the bamboo cage at the beginning of the movie.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The "Finnished" AK.

They were.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The "Finnished" AK.

AKMs in Red Dawn were Maadis.

So were the AK-74s, just dressed up cosmetically.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd79/brownj255/Firearms/20150609_201635_zpsaj82chif.jpg
View Quote

How is POA/POI impacted by removing the cover for cleaning?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Can't stand that douche Alex guy and won't watch his videos.  Had to stop it when he said who he was.  Rk62 is neat though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Rear sight locks into the rear trunion, so it isn't. You have to have a bullet handy to remove the dust cover, though. The Rear sight replaces the rear portion of the recoil spring assembly where the takedown button used to be.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Had a M76...could not find mags for it..
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Colloquially known as:

Which is a term of endearment well beyond its literal sense,

not unlike how  "Garand" carries a broader meaning and understanding

that comes from mutual experience  for an older generation of Americans

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The Rear sight locks into the rear trunion, so it isn't. You have to have a bullet handy to remove the dust cover, though. The Rear sight replaces the rear portion of the recoil spring assembly where the takedown button used to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool! Thanks
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Would be cool to have but break something and i bet parts are unobtanium
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Would be cool to have but break something and i bet parts are unobtanium
View Quote

The only parts that you would have to worry about are all most likely interchangeable with other AKM's.

I bet the .223 mags are spendy, not sure if Galil or other .223 AKM mags would work, and my only guess is "probably".
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not perfect.

Nothing in my post can be honestly construed as approval for vestigial features. I am genuinely concerned that you may have suffered a stroke. Do you smell burning toast?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Still a 6moa rifle?

No thanks
View Quote

Not hardly.

Bulgarian AKs shoot very well, too.

I had a galil that was easily 2moa.

Just because it's a Kalashnikov doesn't mean it's not accurate.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#33]
The Valmets and SAKOs I've seen and used are way better than 6 MOA.

Some of the Rk95s with ACOGs using Finnish Defense Forces ammo are easily 1.5 MOA guns or better.

They are still boat anchors with typical AK controls, although the mag release is enlarged for use with winter gloves.

Being able to use Russian ammunition factored into the adoption of AK-type rifles for Finland, but their production quality is in another realm compared to Russian garbage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top