Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2016 9:03:34 PM EDT

The Lochnagar crater (pictured) was created when miners from the 185th and 179th Tunnelling Company of the British Army's Royal Engineers Regiment detonated a 60,000lb mine under the German trenches. Captain James Young pressed the switch at 7.28am. When the dust settled the crater was occupied by a pals' battalion called the Grimsby Chums, but within hours the German artillery had started pounding it with shells
View Quote

Lots more pics, and a good mini history lesson: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3610407/Scars-Somme-Time-healed-landscape-100-years-fields-signs-battle-claimed-300-000-lives.html
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Thanks, OP.  Great photos.  I grew up in Canada and we studied WWI quite a bit in school.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#2]
While good in theory, those big assed mines were usually more trouble than they were worth.

The stories of mine/counter mine and the underground fights in the dark are hair raising.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While good in theory, those big assed mines were usually more trouble than they were worth.

The stories of mine/counter mine and the underground fights in the dark are hair raising.

View Quote

Where can one find such stories?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]
worst generals ever.  (British obviously)

try this movie for WW1 tunneling stories  beneath hill 60
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I read a book a while ago. Hand to hand fighting with wooden tools when running into Germans under ground by accident. Setting mines when hearing opposite tunnellers, cave ins etc etc

Astonishing and little known.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/Beneath-Flanders-Fields-Tunnellers-1914-18/dp/0773543015
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/Beneath-Flanders-Fields-Tunnellers-1914-18/dp/0773543015

Awesome. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#8]
There are still unexploded mines and flamethrowers & other stuff under there. The flamethrowers I read about in 'Chemical Soldiers; British gas warfare in World War one'. I think there were a few Livens flamethrowers that were buried but never used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top