Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2016 2:25:30 AM EDT
I have a week off not next week. But the one after. I've sat around trying to figure out what I want to do with it and keep drawing a blank.

All my friends are getting married off this year and don't have the cash or the time to go anywhere with me. But I don't really want to waste the week sitting around doing the same thing I could do any other week.

I've never been out west. About St. Louis is as far West as I've ever been in my life. I'm highly considering just driving out west with a very loose plan. Hit a new spot every day or two. I want to at least make it as far as Colorado. I'd really like to see the mountains out there. Mingle with local life at a few different places and areas.

Other than that I'm open to suggestions.

So if arfcom was single, going at a road trip alone. What would you do and where would you go?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 2:26:34 AM EDT
[#1]
What State are you in?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 2:27:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Roughly southern Indiana
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 2:33:10 AM EDT
[#3]
If you only have a week, there will be no way to hit a new spot every day or two if you're traveling the American West.  You'll spend all your time driving.

If it were me, I'd pick one spot like Moab, Utah and explore the Canyonlands and Arches National Parks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 2:35:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 2:39:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Zion, Bryce, Moab, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier Nat'l Park, Jackson Hole.  A week isn't that long and I'd hate for you to be driving from place to place.  I'd to pick a park or two that's near each other
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 2:41:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Southern Utah and the National Parks there.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 2:41:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Figure on four of those days lost to just getting there and back.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 2:48:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

After Google mapping you maybe right

Hmm. Decisions decisons
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 2:54:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been driving out west for the last month. Do it.

Colorado is amazing. I'm currently near Salt Lake City, Utah.  In terms of diversity of landscape and scenery, it can't be beat. Regardless of where you are in
the state, you are only a little over an hour's drive away from an entirely different environment.. You're gonna need more than a week though.

Hell, you could spend your entire life here and not see 1/100th of it.

What has been seen can't be unseen. It's so much better than the photos.

I get nauseous at the thought of going back to the East Coast, so if you're an outdoorsy person, be careful.

I'm looking on Craigslist for a roommate right now haha
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 3:00:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Pick a few and head west. Last time I did it, I drove from Little Rock to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, then worked my way up to Zion and Bryce.

You won't regret a second of it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 3:03:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a week off not next week. But the one after. I've sat around trying to figure out what I want to do with it and keep drawing a blank.

All my friends are getting married off this year and don't have the cash or the time to go anywhere with me. But I don't really want to waste the week sitting around doing the same thing I could do any other week.

I've never been out west. About St. Louis is as far West as I've ever been in my life. I'm highly considering just driving out west with a very loose plan. Hit a new spot every day or two. I want to at least make it as far as Colorado. I'd really like to see the mountains out there. Mingle with local life at a few different places and areas.

So if arfcom was single, going at a road trip alone. What would you do and where would you go?
View Quote

Aint no other way my friend, Ill assume you'll be gaming some girls on this little adventure. Try and hit up a college town out west. Drive through the night to maximize your time on target. Somewhere in CO would seem ideal.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 3:05:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hmm. Decisions decisons
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm. Decisions decisons

It's still doable.

Get off work on Friday, go to bed early.  Hit the road at 5:00am Saturday morning, and you're in northern Colorado by 7 or 8 at night.  Find a room, wake up Sunday, and you've got until say Friday to hit some spots in and around the Rockies.

I'd do it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 3:39:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Colorado is amazing. I'm currently near Salt Lake City, Utah.  In terms of diversity of landscape and scenery, it can't be beat. Regardless of where you are in
the state, you are only a little over an hour's drive away from an entirely different environment.. You're gonna need more than a week though.

I get nauseous at the thought of going back to the East Coast, so if you're an outdoorsy person, be careful.

View Quote

Do you want to lose a kidney? Because that's how you lose a kidney.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 3:50:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would you suggest I find a cheap place to live?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 3:57:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had mixed luck with craigslist living situations. They can work. Are you looking for a place in SLC?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 4:23:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had mixed luck with craigslist living situations. They can work. Are you looking for a place in SLC?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really anywhere in Utah that has a decent population and an in-n-out burger within 20 minutes. Ideally not Ogden or the super flaming parts of SLC.

I like the Wasatch Valley and St George a whole lot.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 5:24:39 AM EDT
[#17]
As far as Colorado?  You better at least make it though CO.  I don't know that touring the fly over states is going to be much of a vacation.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 5:40:32 AM EDT
[#18]
... We did Colorado last week. The Rockies are beautiful
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 5:58:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm thinking about taking a road trip

Before I get too old and feeble, I'm going to take a road trip to military and maritime/boat museums in the eastern half of the U.S.  I'm thinking pretty much everything within a couple hundred miles of a line from Norfolk, VA (USS Wisconsin) to Fall River, MA (Battleship Cove) to Dayton, OH (USAF Museum) to Chicago, IL (U-505) to Houston, TX (USS Texas)  to Valparaiso, Fl (USAF Armament Museum) to Columbus, GA (National Infantry Museum) to Wilminton, NC (USS North Carolina) to Newport News, VA (Mariner's Museum).

And while I'm in Texas, I'm going to Abilene.  Just because I've always liked the name.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 5:59:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Head north.

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Every state trip?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Before I get too old and feeble, I'm going to take a road trip to military and maritime/boat museums in the eastern half of the U.S.  I'm thinking pretty much everything within a couple hundred miles of a line from Norfolk, VA (USS Wisconsin) to Fall River, MA (Battleship Cove) to Dayton, OH (USAF Museum) to Chicago, IL (U-505) to Houston, TX (USS Texas)  to Valparaiso, Fl (USAF Armament Museum) to Columbus, GA (National Infantry Museum) to Wilminton, NC (USS North Carolina) to Newport News, VA (Mariner's Museum).

And while I'm in Texas, I'm going to Abilene.  Just because I've always liked the name.
View Quote
You missed the uss Alabama in there, it's in between mobile and Pensacola. Also 2 other spots to consider the 8th Air Force museum in pooler ga
And patriots point in charleston sc.

I forget what aircraft carrier is there I think it's cv10
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 6:37:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Every state trip?
View All Quotes

Yeah. Why not?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Colorado and the Rocky Mountains dude.  Southern Utah is starting to get hot.  College towns abound and the young ladies are out.  Check out Boulder but Fort Collins is really where it's at.  Plenty of breweries and mountains. Alternate between the two.

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 6:54:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yeah. Why not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah. Why not?

Yolo right?

I'm trying to plan a thru hike for next year. Looking at doing the PCT.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#26]
We're leaving next week to drive from FL to CO.

I've done that trip and from New England to CO and back too many times to count.

As others have said, most of a week will be spent just going there and back.

But when the time is available and the destination is worthy, road trips are a great way to see our country.

Cheers!
-JC

ETA: That "Head North" route posted by TylerF looks pretty cool from your starting location.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#27]
how about just getting in your can and going?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#28]
A week isn't a long time. What about flying and renting a car?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#29]
I spent 20 hours in the car last weekend for a wedding.  Screw that, unless I have a need to go somewhere then I can find things to do closer to home.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You missed the uss Alabama in there, it's in between mobile and Pensacola. Also 2 other spots to consider the 8th Air Force museum in pooler gaAnd patriots point in charleston sc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You missed the uss Alabama in there, it's in between mobile and Pensacola. Also 2 other spots to consider the 8th Air Force museum in pooler gaAnd patriots point in charleston sc.

The places I mentioned are just the major changes in direction.  Between Houston and Valparaiso, I'd stop at the D-Day museum, the USS Alabama, and the Naval Aviation Museum.  Between home and Fall River, there's the Marine Aviation museum, the National Museum of the United States Navy, South Street Seaport, and Mystic Seaport.  And if I time it right, I can probably catch the annual Wooden Boat Show. It's usually somewhere on the eastern seaboard.

This project is getting out of hand.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Too much east coast.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#33]
I July, I'm driving to L.A. to visit relatives. For me, the trip out there & back IS the vacation. I'll be stopping at:

The artillery museum at Ft Sill (and because I went to OSUT there in '85),
The museum of the great plains in Lawton OK,
El Morro nat'l monument
Oldest church in North America (forget exactly which town it's in, but it's along my route),
Barringer meteor crater,
Grand Canyon
A short trip down old rte 66 through Seligman AZ

from there, unfortunately I'll be heading on in to L.A.

I haven't figured out what to stop & see on my way back yet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Aint no other way my friend, Ill assume you'll be gaming some girls on this little adventure. Try and hit up a college town out west. Drive through the night to maximize your time on target. Somewhere in CO would seem ideal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You understand me
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The places I mentioned are just the major changes in direction.  Between Houston and Valparaiso, I'd stop at the D-Day museum, the USS Alabama, and the Naval Aviation Museum.  Between home and Fall River, there's the Marine Aviation museum, the National Museum of the United States Navy, South Street Seaport, and Mystic Seaport.  And if I time it right, I can probably catch the annual Wooden Boat Show. It's usually somewhere on the eastern seaboard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the best kind of project.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't listen to the naysayers Indianapolis to Denver is 1100 miles. That's easily doable in a day by car.

I'm talking at the speed limit kind of doable.

If you do that you still have five full days of doing stuff.

Eta- I also drive for a living so it's not really a stretch for me to do that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

As far as Colorado?  You better at least make it though CO.  I don't know that touring the fly over states is going to be much of a vacation.
View Quote
He could probably alleviate that a little and go through S. Dakota and Montana, and hit Wyoming instead of CO.  There'd be a little less farmland nothingness and a little more to see along the way.

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#38]
The road is a beautiful mistress.  

Only way to improve is to do it on a bike.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
how about just getting in your can and going?
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfT0b2INxO4
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Costa Rica is a nice week long trip, you will need to fly there of course.

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've never been out west. About St. Louis is as far West as I've ever been in my life.
View Quote

Do it, the West is beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

It's still doable.

Get off work on Friday, go to bed early.  Hit the road at 5:00am Saturday morning, and you're in northern Colorado by 7 or 8 at night.  Find a room, wake up Sunday, and you've got until say Friday to hit some spots in and around the Rockies.

I'd do it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm. Decisions decisons

It's still doable.

I'd do it.

Depending on what time OP can get off work, it might be worth loading up the car Thursday night, and leaving straight from work on Friday afternoon. Then he'll get to Denver mid-afternoon so he can check out a brewery or two, crash for the night, then hit the mountains early Sunday.

A few years back, I left from DFW and went and spent a couple days with a friend in northern NM, left his house Monday morning and drove towards Durango and took the million dollar highway to Ouray. Stayed one night in Ouray, went and hiked up to the Blue Lakes, spent a night there, came back and spent a night in Ouray again, then drove home via Gunnison, Alamosa, and Taos.

Basically that was a week.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Plenty of roads to get there as well.  Need a little more than a week though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like this idea.  Of course that's not for the average boring arfcommer.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Fly to DIA, rent car, drive through CO, UT, NV. Leave rental car in Vegas, fly home
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Hit up Canada
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top