Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2016 9:13:45 PM EDT
Title says it all. I have 3+ acres with a pond. I need a mosquito solution. Do the propane powered traps work? Are they worth $400?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#1]
They sort of work, for about two years. Then they crap out and are not very serviceable.

I've gone through a couple and much prefer a fogger.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
3 acres?   Just set up some big gym fans to put a constant breeze across the property.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]
.22lr is more fun
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#4]
If by work you mean attract mosquitoes? Yes.

Don't waste your money. Buy a fogger or spray your non-flowering bushes and trees with a legal dose of a pro grade permethrin derivative.

ETA - I dabble a bit on the side. Used to do it full time. ------   *Always follow labeling directions and any applicable laws.

And seriously, stay away from flowering plants. Don't kill bees.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They sort of work, for about two years. Then they crap out and are not very serviceable.

View Quote

Tell me about the fogger. Can you fill it with kid/pet safe hippie juice?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]

We've got nice bat habitats. Those magnificent bastards work wonders - At night.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
.22lr is more fun
View Quote

For the propane or the mosquitos?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Permethrin, which is a derivative of chrysanthemum flowers, is used in organic gardening, and is a pesticide. In fact you can feed it to animals to kill ticks.
I wouldn't fog the kids, but I'm not terribly worried about it. The petroleum distillates are worse than the pesticide.

Not a hippy answer, but that's all I got.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Title says it all. I have 3+ acres with a pond. I need a mosquito solution. Do the propane powered traps work? Are they worth $400?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

NO & NO
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I like our skeeter eater it works pretty well.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Precisely what I was going to say.  Ours was a mosquito death machine the first year we had it, then it quickly deteriorated to the point where it was useless by year 3.

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Permethrin, which is a derivative of chrysanthemum flowers, is used in organic gardening, and is a pesticide. In fact you can feed it to animals to kill ticks.
I wouldn't fog the kids, but I'm not terribly worried about it. The petroleum distillates are worse than the pesticide.

Not a hippy answer, but that's all I got.
View Quote

That's great info. Thanks.

What model fogger do you have?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a flowtron and some Octenol packets and fucking murder every mosquito possible
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Typically I will mow the lawn during the day, sprinkle some mosquito repellent in the grass, then fog the perimeter at dusk.

Also, if you have a pond, areate the water to disrupt breeding areas.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get a flowtron and some Octenol packets and fucking murder every mosquito possible
View Quote

Doesn't work. Will kill all the moths and flies that you attract from miles around however.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Back in kollege, i worked for Mosquito Squad...

Backpack mounted blower with tank mounted permethrin mix...

That shit is AMAZING.

Buy the gear from amazon, do it yourself, ????, profit!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I realize you're asking about propane traps, OP, but I have found this contraption to be successful at catching tons of skeeters.

Skeeter Trap

If you don't care to watch the entire video, at least skip to 7:00 mark so you can see how many skeeters this rig captured with 48 hours of operation.

Those little bastards love my daughter and I.  I cannot stand them, so I understand the desire for a flamethrower.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Keep everything mowed no long grass. The propane traps r not worth it my dad has one
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#21]
cover your pond
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Reminder that permethrin is toxic to kitties.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

and the problem is?????????????

It's a damn joke OK?!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
cover your pond
View Quote

With like bricks or something?

It's a pretty big pond.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's the half life? I've got a barn cat that I'm fond of that hunts in the woods.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

It's a pretty big pond.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

cover your pond

It's a pretty big pond.

get some fish that eat mosquito larvae

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:39:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Just spread a little DDT.

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#28]
tagged
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:48:31 PM EDT
[#29]
i recently went the propane trap route and its working great so far. our yard is normally uninhabitable by this point in the year and we're out in the yard with the kids without a single bite so far. that was unheard of before this thing. with small children who touch every blade of grass and eat dirt, i really didnt want to spray anything. most of the reviews on amazon point to declining function in the traps being the lack of regular maintenance that these things need. the propane shouldnt be run to empty, the octenal catridges need to be replaced regularly, and you must do a special co2 cartridge flush every time yiu change the tank.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
cover your pond
View Quote
Put fish in mind = no mosquitos
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:49:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I live in Alaska where the mosquitoes are horrible. They work quite well. An old friend of mine would keep the mosquitoes bagged up in his game freezer and give them to the local fish and game for fish food.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:26:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Precisely what I was going to say.  Ours was a mosquito death machine the first year we had it, then it quickly deteriorated to the point where it was useless by year 3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What part of it deteriorates?

Is there some material in it that gradually gets depleted?
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:30:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In ours, the fan that sucked in the bugs got regularly clogged to the point where simply stopped running after a while.  Even though the mosquitoes and particles were supposed to be removed by the screen filter, a lot of junk got past it into the gears.

To fix it you had to spend almost as much as a new one on a replacement fan, and the store where we bought ours didn't offer service.  So we just junked it.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#34]
We used them at both entrances of the living quarters at a pump station, there was a discernible difference in the amount of blood sucking little bastages once we put them in service.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Get rid of any standing stagnant  water on your property, add an aerator to your pond and add fish that eat the mosquito larvae
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#36]
OFF®
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#37]
One of our state agencies will give you free mosquito eating fish for an artificial body of water (if you have one). I'm sure they have the same in your municipality, or similar.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:02:59 AM EDT
[#38]
I've got a rather large electric bug zapper hanging off the back corner of the deck and I have to say it is extremely effective at killing mosquitoes.  You would think a mosquito would be too small to get zapped looking at the design of the zapper's electrodes that surround the black light bulb, but they aren't.

The only bad thing about the zapper is so many mosquito carcasses get zapped and build up in it that I have to hose it out about once a month (after unplugging it, of course).

The key to the electric bug zapper is to hang it a good distance AWAY from where you are going to be, but within line-of-sight of where you are going to be.  The black light attracts bugs, so you don't want it near you.  But you want them to see it from where you are because they will usually choose the "food" of the black light over the food your body offers them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:26:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

A 10 gauge at least for skeeters!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#40]

For a homeowner, what is the most cost effective way to get into a suitable premetherin blower?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#41]
The fishing lodge I go to in Alaska has them, I've seen them loaded with mosquitos, I only remember getting bit a couple of time while I was there. So I would have to say that they were working well from what I experienced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top