Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2016 6:14:59 PM EDT
Backstory.  !988 had a ladder kick out while coming off a roof and falling 12 feet to asphalt parking lot.  Shattered Ulna at the elbow to the point that joint and about 3 inches of the ulna itself were surgically removed.  Incredibly in 6 weeks time that bone and joint attempted to grow back like a lizard's tail!  To the point only the best can look at my Xray's today and tell it's not the original.  Of course it does not work correctly and there is no cartilage etc.  Fortunately all these years I have had decent use from that arm although it was not suppose to even function.  Was able to do 350lb bench presses up til 2011.  Fast forward to 3 weeks ago when suddenly the numbness set in and I was able to see an Ortho a few days later.  He found massive atrophy in my hand and I also had an EMG a few days later.  Apparently the nerve damage has been happening for years but I never noticed until my hand suddenly wouldn't wake up.   Seeing another Ortho next week that the first referred me to that is more specialized in this issue.
If you have had surgery for this how were your results?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't have the surgery, mine was mild.  I just am careful with what I do with that arm.  Sleep with it straight, don't put my elbow down on hard surfaces.

The surgery option is open to me, but I'm holding for now with just being diligent.

Rerouting the nerve to inside the arm is weird.  I imagine it takes quite a while for the tendons to get strong again where they have to lift them out of the way to reroute the nerve.  But if yours is as bad as that, I would consider it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Try a youtube search of "ulnar nerve flossing."  Those exercises worked for me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup.  Pronator release in 2004.

Helped, but did not cure, the numbness in my hand.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't have the surgery, mine was mild.  I just am careful with what I do with that arm.  Sleep with it straight, don't put my elbow down on hard surfaces.

The surgery option is open to me, but I'm holding for now with just being diligent.

Rerouting the nerve to inside the arm is weird. I imagine it takes quite a while for the tendons to get strong again where they have to lift them out of the way to reroute the nerve.  But if yours is as bad as that, I would consider it.
View Quote

Not for me, at least.  Maybe two weeks in total, but I was turning wrenches (carefully) about 48 hours after surgery.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine came from computer use. I have it in both arms, but the right is worse. I had the right one operated on in 2012 or 2013. I can't say it helped right away, but it seems to have gotten better. Then again, the left has too. There are better and worse times - lately it's been worse.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Surgery in my case....Cut tendon above nerve that holds it in the notch on the end of elbow.  move nerve around front of arm.  It was like having a new hand the next day with the exception of the post surgical pains.  Mine was being pinched due to scar tissue formed around it from computer use.  (held elbow on table while using mouse).  Mine had not progressed to the point where "permanent damage" had occurred.  I would tell you to look up "Ulnar nerve entrapment" but in your case there are likely physical differences in how your nerve runs through the joint at this point due to your injury.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Shattered my elbow docs had to flay my arm from tricep to bottom of the elbow and move the ulnar to the topside of my forearm. Arm doesn't go completely numb out of nowhere anymore but if I put any kind of pressure on my forearm it goes numb. Elbow pain is there but not sure if that's from the surgery or the injury. Also atrophy is still there Docs said there's not much you can do about it the surgery was more to prevent any further atrophy.

Post surgery sucked arm in a full cast. When the cast came off my arm was basically stuck in the slightly bent position it was casted in. Docs pulled it back straight which sucked, once that was done off to pt. Took a good year of pt/weight lifitng before my arm strength finally evened out. Kind of an empty spot and a gnarly scar on my elbow now.

Biggest benefit? No more funny bone to smash, I can elbow drop a cinder block and be good to go lol.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Biggest benefit? No more funny bone to smash, I can elbow drop a cinder block and be good to go lol.
View Quote
But the reduced amount of soft tissue over the tip of the bone causes me a different sort of discomfort when elbow placed on hard surface.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea I get that if lean on a counter or something but it's more like pressing a bad bruise instead of the zap of a funny bone hit not too bad!
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup.  Excercises helped me a lot.  Was having a lot of pain and the outside of my hands was going numb a lot.  Avoided surgery so far.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I tried flossing but have very limited movement in my elbow joint so most aren't even possible.  to couple I tried ended up making my hand even weaker than it already was and every little movement sent bolts down through my arm and hand afterward.  Have the arm in an Immobilizer brace at he moment to try and prevent any more damage before I get back to a Dr next Weds.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Been praying for years for elbow joint replacement to become available and now that it is I read most patients are limited for life now of lifting no more than a coffee cup
A few are able to lift a bit more but this option would never work for my lifestyle.  Our Ins would even cover nearly all the cost currently
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Surgery in my case....Cut tendon above nerve that holds it in the notch on the end of elbow.  move nerve around front of arm.  It was like having a new hand the next day with the exception of the post surgical pains.  Mine was being pinched due to scar tissue formed around it from computer use.  (held elbow on table while using mouse).  Mine had not progressed to the point where "permanent damage" had occurred.  I would tell you to look up "Ulnar nerve entrapment" but in your case there are likely physical differences in how your nerve runs through the joint at this point due to your injury.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/PhotoTWB/media/Medical%20pics/ArmSurgerycopy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/Medical%20pics/ArmSurgerycopy.jpg</a>  
View Quote

I told the EMG doc that because the bone had grown back that the nerve might not be where it should be and sure nuff it was in a different location.  Hoping the Dr I'm seeing will just go ahead and move the nerve before I get anymore damage as it is apparently already bad.  I had enough permanent nerve damage from back injuries!  
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Subcutanoius Ulnar Transposition surgery scheduled early morning on the 5th.  Met the new Doc today and he agreed I need it right now!!!  Actually wanted to do it in the morning but my wife can't take off tomorrow and I need to get a few ducks in a row and get in a little fishing and motorcycle riding in before I am not able again for a while if ever depending.  Doc says I will most likely not regain any of my lost grip but it is important to me to attempt to save what I now have at least.  The nerve is nowhere near where it should be located since the shattered ulna was removed and when the bone regenerated 6 weeks later like a liard tail it must have shoved the nerve into a new position 28 years or so ago.  Current Xray pic you can see the bone tried damn hard to make a new elbow lol  The bone was taken out all the way back to about where that white dot is what ever that is.  Not letting them touch the joint itself since it is very strong and works somewhat at least.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Subcutanoius Ulnar Transposition surgery scheduled early morning on the 5th.  Met the new Doc today and he agreed I need it right now!!!  Actually wanted to do it in the morning but my wife can't take off tomorrow and I need to get a few ducks in a row and get in a little fishing and motorcycle riding in before I am not able again for a while if ever depending.  Doc says I will most likely not regain any of my lost grip but it is important to me to attempt to save what I now have at least.  The nerve is nowhere near where it should be located since the shattered ulna was removed and when the bone regenerated 6 weeks later like a liard tail it must have shoved the nerve into a new position 28 years or so ago.  Current Xray pic you can see the bone tried damn hard to make a new elbow lol  The bone was taken out all the way back to about where that white dot is what ever that is.  Not letting them touch the joint itself since it is very strong and works somewhat at least.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/tnriverluver/elbow_zpsvvg43nnd.jpg
View Quote

What's that little hand in the X-ray?  I hope it's a cursor.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/tnriverluver/elbow_zpsvvg43nnd.jpg

I really have no freaking idea lol  Maybe my arm tried to regrow a tiny hand also  This is a phone pic of their monitor so probably just their cursor.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is relevant to my interests. I didn't know what this was until a few months ago, but my pinky and ring fingers go numb on both hands depending on arm position.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a pinched nerve in my left, non-dominant arm.  My ring and little finger hurt like hell.  From an accident on the elbow when I was young.  Dr. fixed it good as new, he moved that nerve to inside my elbow, somehow.  It took maybe 4-6 weeks to recover.  Physical therapy is equally important to the surgery.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is relevant to my interests. I didn't know what this was until a few months ago, but my pinky and ring fingers go numb on both hands depending on arm position.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did try flossing for a day or so after googling this condition.  With the limited movement I have in my elbow there was only a couple I could even attempt.  It made my situation much worse much faster so I highly recommend talking to a Dr or someone before doing them.  Afterward the slightest movement of my elbow sets of shooting through my arm.  I am currently using an immobilizer brace I bought online a week or so ago because of this.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Putting mine off

Carpel and cubital. Plus shoulder impingement.

Numb arms/hands always. It sucks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had a pinched nerve in my left, non-dominant arm.  My ring and little finger hurt like hell.  From an accident on the elbow when I was young.  Dr. fixed it good as new, he moved that nerve to inside my elbow, somehow.  It took maybe 4-6 weeks to recover.  Physical therapy is equally important to the surgery.
View Quote

That is the surgery I am having but my condition is much more severe so expectations of much recovery are low.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Putting mine off

View Quote

DON'T!!!!!  Once you start getting muscle atrophy recovery chances deteriorate!  I did not know I had any and until my numbness set in did not know I even had a problem.  Weakness hit hard after 3 weeks.  This has been going on for several years in my case however without knowing it.  My grip has gone to absolute shit in a matter of days!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

DON'T!!!!!  Once you start getting muscle atrophy recovery chances deteriorate!  I did not know I had any and until my numbness set in did not know I even had a problem.  Weakness hit hard after 3 weeks.  This has been going on for several years in my case however without knowing it.  My grip has gone to absolute shit in a matter of days!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Putting mine off

The muscle between my thumb and forefinger has all but disappeared along with the muscles on the bottom edge of my hand.  I had no damn idea and didn't even notice strength loss until suddenly one morning trying to do a mundane everyday task and suddenly couldn't.   Just looking you can't see it much yet but the Doc and you can easily feel it by pinch the muscle of each hand for comparison.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Regretting putting the surgery off to next week now!  Muscles on the bottom edge of my hand have been cramping the past two days and now today it is nonstop!  Going to be a long holiday weekend if this keeps up  Praying the surgery will at least make this stop.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Update about 2 weeks post surgery.  Surgery itself has been mostly painless but none of the symptoms have improved, including the most aggravating one of the muscle spasms on the bottom outside edge of my hand.  Doc put me on Gabapentin and Oxycontin for pain management.  The Gabapentin is for nerve pain but the only thing I can tell it does is make me very sleepy throughout the day.  The Oxy I only take one at night just to help me sleep better since I am stuck sleeping on my sofa recliner because my arm is in a full cast.  Each day I am finding my hand is continuing to get weaker to the point I can't even operate a pump spray bottle.  Found I can turn on my blow dryer but am not able to turn it back off!  Going to be a long road to any recovery from the looks of things and the Doc told my wife it would take at least a year before I see any since the nerve had been really chewed up by my screwed up joint.  I get the cast off and stitches out this Weds and am going to get him to ween me off the nerve meds because there is no way I can safely drive taking that stuff.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Update exactly one month post op.  Very little improvement so far other than regained some pinch strength in my thumb overnight to where I can suddenly open the spring clip on my phone belt clip.  I have been unable to do that for 2 months now until last night!  That gives me some hope especially since the muscle between my thumb and forefinger have sunk in to the point my hand is starting to look pretty deformed like that of a stroke patient.  

Incision when cast came off at 2 weeks

Incision at 1 month looks more like a pencil mark on my arm  Dude did an amazing job with this incision!

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#27]
My mom had ulnar impingement in he elbow. Surgery fixed it immediately. I have read about many cases of literally feeling like you have a brand new hand.

I got diagnosed with ulnar neuropathy at 25 and I'm now 27 having gone through false additional diagnosis of cervical radiculopathy. I now finally got an MRI to find my neck is 100% healthy and have an emg scheduled for next week. Really crossing my fingers that I'll get surgery, I'm honestly just completely fed up with living with this every day. I haven't been able to ride my bike for a year, can't hold a book in bed, and have numbness 100% of the time I use a computer at work. 2 rounds of physical therapy, strong nsaids and oral steroids have done nothing but cause fucked up side affects.

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My mom had ulnar impingement in he elbow. Surgery fixed it immediately. I have read about many cases of literally feeling like you have a brand new hand.

I got diagnosed with ulnar neuropathy at 25 and I'm now 27 having gone through false additional diagnosis of cervical radiculopathy. I now finally got an MRI to find my neck is 100% healthy and have an emg scheduled for next week. Really crossing my fingers that I'll get surgery, I'm honestly just completely fed up with living with this every day. I haven't been able to ride my bike for a year, can't hold a book in bed, and have numbness 100% of the time I use a computer at work. 2 rounds of physical therapy, strong nsaids and oral steroids have done nothing but cause fucked up side affects.

View Quote

Mine was so severe the Dr wanted to do surgery the next day!!!!  My surgery was simply to try and save what use I had left of my hand rather than try to heal it.  It may or may not heal.  Only lots of time will tell in my case.  Onset was very very sudden but most likely had been going on unnoticed for years or decades.  Once muscle atrophy sets in the prognosis of recovery is very slim from all I have read and been told by my Doc
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Backstory.  !988 had a ladder kick out while coming off a roof and falling 12 feet to asphalt parking lot.  Shattered Ulna at the elbow to the point that joint and about 3 inches of the ulna itself were surgically removed.  Incredibly in 6 weeks time that bone and joint attempted to grow back like a lizard's tail!  To the point only the best can look at my Xray's today and tell it's not the original.  Of course it does not work correctly and there is no cartilage etc.  Fortunately all these years I have had decent use from that arm although it was not suppose to even function.  Was able to do 350lb bench presses up til 2011.  Fast forward to 3 weeks ago when suddenly the numbness set in and I was able to see an Ortho a few days later.  He found massive atrophy in my hand and I also had an EMG a few days later.  Apparently the nerve damage has been happening for years but I never noticed until my hand suddenly wouldn't wake up.   Seeing another Ortho next week that the first referred me to that is more specialized in this issue.

If you have had surgery for this how were your results?
View Quote
I had the surgery in Jan, so far so good.

Things are not that much better but they moved the nerve to keep

It from getting worse.

I can hold a weed eater for about 25 mins now where I couldn't hold it for 10

Minutes.

All the feeling is gone on my elbow, buts it's good as I can put weight on it without

Pain.

Fingers dont get as knumb anymore, but every now and again my hand just quits

Working for a instant instead of 10-10 seconds.

My arm is better and I don't regret the surgery, but it didn't fix it totally.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Mine was so severe the Dr wanted to do surgery the next day!!!!  My surgery was simply to try and save what use I had left of my hand rather than try to heal it.  It may or may not heal.  Only lots of time will tell in my case.  Onset was very very sudden but most likely had been going on unnoticed for years or decades.  Once muscle atrophy sets in the prognosis of recovery is very slim from all I have read and been told by my Doc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Docs told me the exact same thing, which made me incredibly pissed at how casual they were taking things when the neurologist told me I as slowly losing strength in my right arm.

Now that I've got good insurance and a proactive doc I'm finally getting some action.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#31]
The surgery itself was almost completely painless so don't hesitate if it gets offered.  My only pain is from the continued numbness and muscle spasms.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Total cost is going to be around $5000 with it having been done at an outpatient center.  Not bad for any kind of surgery today.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Strange times we live in, Sorry OP I have never heard of your problem and can add nothing

But, after reading your post and a couple of responses, I backed out and clicked on the post about tailgating and roll over.

The add before the video was a hand clinic that specializes in your problem

They are watching us  

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Strange times we live in, Sorry OP I have never heard of your problem and can add nothing

But, after reading your post and a couple of responses, I backed out and clicked on the post about tailgating and roll over.

The add before the video was a hand clinic that specializes in your problem
They are watching us  

View Quote

Ain't that shit aggravating???  Click on anything on the web and be swamped by ads for that item a few minutes later.  Until 2 months ago I had never heard of this either.  Really wish I still didn't need to know
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I had ulnar displacement surgery on my left elbow in 2005. worked pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had ulnar displacement surgery on my left elbow in 2005. worked pretty good.
View Quote

I have proved doctors wrong on more than one occasion and plan to prove them wrong again!!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Just a quick pic of the atrophy occurring in my hand that generally indicates the damage is permanent.  There is much more in other parts of my hand but it is not currently visible without actually feeling it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top