Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2016 1:08:21 PM EDT
Stopped by at a friends house yesterday; the guy recently retired out of the Infantry and offered me a bunch of his old ACUs.  Naturally, as any good hoarder soldier, I accepted and brought them home to mix with my other 4 sets.  Kind of hit me today that once I get the new multicam/OCP/scorpion camo, I'll never be wearing ACU again.  So the question begs to be asked:  What am I going to do with all these ACUs?

I don't mind them as hunting/hiking/range clothes, but I really hate the color scheme cause it's awful camo where I am.  Thinking about maybe dying it a shade or two darker/greener and then using it for personal stuff.  Any ideas or experience that might help?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm wondering too. I retired a couple of years ago and I a few sets packed away. I might just wear a set during my run at Cola Warrior Texas.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife just turned all my ACU trousers into stylish ACU cargo shorts.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Stopped by at a friends house yesterday; the guy recently retired out of the Infantry and offered me a bunch of his old ACUs.  Naturally, as any good hoarder soldier, I accepted and brought them home to mix with my other 4 sets.  Kind of hit me today that once I get the new multicam/OCP/scorpion camo, I'll never be wearing ACU again.  So the question begs to be asked:  What am I going to do with all these ACUs?

I don't mind them as hunting/hiking/range clothes, but I really hate the color scheme cause it's awful camo where I am.  Thinking about maybe dying it a shade or two darker/greener and then using it for personal stuff.  Any ideas or experience that might help?
View Quote

Great for mowing the lawn and working on cars... Dye them od and use em for hunting. Etc etc... I still have bdu's and some jungle fatigues from my service time . The boots wore out a long time ago
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Acid wash and then use brown RIT dye mixed with the spruce color.  Makes for decent dove hunting clothes that matches South Texas perfectly.

The shirt, hats and pants will all come out different shades, but the doves don't care.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen some post about dying them. They turn pretty good in some of them.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I gave all of mine away. Only kept 2 sets of OCP multicam from my last AFG tour.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20130420/a3yzuta6.jpg

http://s714.photobucket.com/user/boylanphotos/media/dyedacu.jpg.html
View Quote

I really like that top gray/green.  Any idea what dye they used?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep a set to try on 10 years later to see how fat you are.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Wear them to the gun show?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife made a couple of quilts out of a bunch of my old uniforms(BDU,DCU,ABU). Some of the squares have a breast pocket with my name and stuff on them. Some have parts of sleeves with stripes, some have cargo pockets. I gave one to my dad for Christmas and he really likes it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe also get them embroidered with "don't tread on me" and "death before dishonor" as well as some skulls and flames.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Besure to not bath or wipe your ass for two months before you go to the gun show.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have any contacts back at a military base...

Get in contact with a platoon of medics.  They will take the old ACU's.  We can put them on the Trauma dummies and use them to cut up/train with...

Training a guy how to patch up a wound is easy.  Training a guy how to patch up a wound while having to work around the uniform that soldiers wear is harder...because uniforms can be hard to come by.

So...if you don't need them...send them to a Line medic platoon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20130420/a3yzuta6.jpg

http://s714.photobucket.com/user/boylanphotos/media/dyedacu.jpg.html
View Quote

That's what I was thinking. Maybe some brown RIT dye.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Get in contact with a platoon of medics.  They will take the old ACU's.  We can put them on the Trauma dummies and use them to cut up/train with...

Training a guy how to patch up a wound is easy.  Training a guy how to patch up a wound while having to work around the uniform that soldiers wear is harder...because uniforms can be hard to come by.

View Quote

I was going to make some dumb comment, but as a former 91/68W that's a damed fine idea.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a good suggestion.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good idea- not to piggyback off of it too much and use it selfishly, but you could also dress up targets in them like below for some more realism.  Maybe dye them first so it's not too much like shooting a fellow .mil

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Check around, there's a thrift shop near me the guy paid $12 /pair.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I gave all of mine away. Only kept 2 sets of OCP multicam from my last AFG tour.
View Quote

Did you give them to the OP?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Ghille suit base
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I used Rit to turn mine dark green for hiking/hunting/range/mowing pants.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got any pics?  I was debating RIT tan or dark green.  How did the dark green look?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Got any pics?  I was debating RIT tan or dark green.  How did the dark green look?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't and they're all packed somewhere in a Pod at the moment. Google "dyed ACUs" and there are some similar examples.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Dibs on ACU's .. IM my address
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#26]
What are the JROTC kids wearing in your area?  Army/Navy Surplus stores may buy them or try fleaBay.

Of course the true ARF answer is to dye them black for the Tier 1 covert mall ninja ops.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I use them for as masturbating pants
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I use them like I use all sorts of old clothing- for targets in order to teach people to NOT look for the damn bullseye and still be able to deliver good hits.

The construction quality of the ACU us generally insufficient in terms of turning them into something else.  They were the worse damn uniform I ever wore and they won't be missed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#29]
They belong in the trashcan with all the ak's. I gave all mine away.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Dye black, enjoy.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I use them for as masturbating pants
View Quote

Not stretchy enough. I need room for leverage.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I have some old riptstop woodland cammies that I am going to cover a guitar body in.  Lay down with modge podge and laquer to seal.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Donate to your nearest State Defense Force....
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Im still wearing my pickle green and tiger stripe from the 60's.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

iv dyed a bunch of issued acu stuff with the rid green dye.. it makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Donate to your nearest State Defense Force....
View Quote

Nice thing to do for those who give and don't get paid...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
iv dyed a bunch of issued acu stuff with the rid green dye.. it makes a big difference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can do UCP Delta look, OP.

Equal parts Green and Black

This was, IIRC, equal parts Kelly Green and Pearl Gray

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Wear them to the next gun show.  Cut them up and make a purse out of them with complimentary Army Wife or Army Husband name tape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top