Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2016 8:47:35 AM EDT
Growing up, we always processed and butchered our own meat. I've  gotten away from it over the years (other than field dressing) mainly due to a family friend opened a business butchering and processing meat.  So, we always carried our meat to him to support his business.

Now that I've moved,  there aren't a lot of folks in the area that do it. So I figured what the heck, and will start doing my self again.  

What the hives thought on a good knife set or kit?   What are you guys using?  Take in mind it doesn't have to be an expensive professional set,  just a nice set that hOlds a good edge and fairly easy to sharpen.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Morakniv, Swedish, $11.
You will thank me, just make sure you store it oiled.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I like victorinox but am comfortable with just about anything.

Knives we use at work are cheap rentals but get beat to hell.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Morakniv, Swedish, $11.
View Quote

And I will point and laugh at your door wedge steaks when your done.

Mora will make a good boning and breaking knife but you need length for steaks.

Really only need 3 knives and a steel.  
Boning
Scimitar
Cleaver

Hacksaw is useful and a heavy mallet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Morakniv, Swedish, $11.
View Quote

Same.
I have skinning, boning and all kinds of special knives but find myself reaching for a mora.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#5]
victorinox is the name you seek. we've always butchered our game with a very sharp fillet and boning knife. bone it out, remove sinew and silverskin, portion as desired. dexter-russell is a decent knife, as well. doesn't hold an edge quite as well, but cheaper.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been using a Dexter Russell filet knife for most of my processing for the last few years. It works pretty well, but it does need sharpening often. A few passes on a steel or ceramic stick is plenty.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Victorinox/Forschner curved boning knife is what I mostly use.  Check out Scott Rea for some good butchering videos

[youtube]https://youtu.be/wijM-XI9rn8[/youtube]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Same.

I have skinning, boning and all kinds of special knives but find myself reaching for a mora.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Morakniv, Swedish, $11.

Same.

There are so many from carbon steel to stainless steel to different lengths which are the top ones to try
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Morakniv, Swedish, $11.
View Quote

+1

Morakniv
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the victorinox from Ask the Meatman

good luck!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#12]
6" fillet knife of any brand.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

This plus a 3-4" drop point for field dressing and a bone saw will handle anything from lambs to beef.  A band saw or at least a sawzall will make things go much faster if you do much large animal processing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There are so many from carbon steel to stainless steel to different lengths which are the top ones to try
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Morakniv, Swedish, $11.

Same.

I have 12 or more of these. I keep them everywhere.  Carbon is the best for me.
https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Outdoor-Military-4-1-Inch/dp/B004TNWD40
I also have a couple of the robust models I keep in each vehicle.  I use the thinner ones more, they slice better for me. But these are fantastic as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftline-Robust-Combi-Sheath-4-1-Inch/dp/B00816PZ8W/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1467228018&sr=1-3&keywords=Mora+robust

I have esee' so, zt's as well, but use the moras  outside more. I stuck one in the kitchen and the Mrs uses that more than the others now too.
I think I pay around $12 ea, so look around a bit for best price if you decide you want one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Old Hickory.

You can get full sets pretty cheap. And they have a very good selection of blade styles.

High carbon steel so takes and keeps a wicked sharp edge.

I've found them at yard sales and junk stores for under $10.

Use them on deer and hogs and they have stood up well to that abuse over the years.

I will also agree that Mora is another great knife.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a Havalon Piranta knife last year.
It's like a surgical scalpel with replaceable blades.
It works extremely well.
I am an OR NURSE, it's basically a longer version of what we use in the OR.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#17]
OP, I find I use my skinning knives more then any other for all the meat we process each year, also have a gerber fillet knife, as well as a few Dexter's that see some use, but the Spyderco Bill Moran skinners have become my favorites for processing meat..........

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I have these and love them.  In fact I now have their 8" and 10" Chef's knives as well.  The 10" is heave enough that it almost cuts by itself, just a little pressure at the top of an onion and it slides right through.

You still have to sharpen them though to keep them in top shape.  I have actually found that this type of knife sharpener is good for a quick touch up while cutting up a large batch.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Morakniv, Swedish, $11.
View Quote

I've disassembled three elk with one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Just like your Grandparents used.

https://ontarioknife.com/cutlery/old-hickory
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the recommendationsame folks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It works extremely well.

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-35864383674868/havalon-piranta-edge-hunting-skinning-knife-6.gif
View Quote

This is what I've used for years caping and skinning big game.
After that for any further processing a cheap ass filet knife that takes a quick edge.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Outdoor-Military-4-1-Inch/dp/B004TNWD40

I also have a couple of the robust models I keep in each vehicle.  I use the thinner ones more, they slice better for me. But these are fantastic as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftline-Robust-Combi-Sheath-4-1-Inch/dp/B00816PZ8W/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1467228018&sr=1-3&keywords=Mora+robust

I have esee' so, zt's as well, but use the moras  outside more. I stuck one in the kitchen and the Mrs uses that more than the others now too.

I think I pay around $12 ea, so look around a bit for best price if you decide you want one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Morakniv, Swedish, $11.

Same.

Thanks,

I have one esee 3, 6 ZTs, and a dozon benchmades.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It works extremely well.

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-35864383674868/havalon-piranta-edge-hunting-skinning-knife-6.gif
View Quote

I've found it to be an excellent gutting knife, but don't care for it when skinning. The curved portion of the blade dulls quickly.

Now I may do things differently than most. When I skin, I just cut the meat off the bones. I prefer a stouter knife for that (usually a Buck Vanguard). As I mentioned above, I use a 6" fillet knife to cut up the meat prior to freezing/canning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top