Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2016 11:11:33 AM EDT
A Delta flight mistakenly landed at an air force base in South Dakota -- instead of the intended airport about 10 miles way.  

Delta Flight 2845 left  Minneapolis for South Dakota on Thursday evening with 130 people aboard.  The Airbus A320 was scheduled to touch down at Rapid City Regional Airport, but landed instead at Ellsworth Air Force Base.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/09/us/delta-flight-lands-at-air-force-base/index.html

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Oopsies.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Not the first time, won't be the last.  Hell, the Air Force has done the same thing in Tampa, except that was landing at a 3400 foot runway instead of an 11000 foot one.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not the first time, won't be the last.  Hell, the Air Force has done the same thing in Tampa, except that was landing at a 3400 foot runway instead of an 11000 foot one.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkuqsd_tRHw
View Quote

That plane has some fine thrust reversers.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  And in that case had the CENTCOM four star sitting in the back.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Years ago, Jay Leno on The Tonight Show;

Delta has come out with a new slogan, pause, AAAAAAAAAAggg!

I about fell out of my chair
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I think a member here was onboard a previous mistaken landing at Ellsworth, though it may have been another forum.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

and that an accident and not in relation to an emergency?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Meh. Close enough.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not a pilot, but how did that beast take off on such a short runway?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Always, Always, Always, Always tune up the approach.  Always.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is correct.  Both MacDill AFB and Peter O. Knight Airport are on peninsulas and have runways that are the same direction.

The crew had just flown from the Middle East and messed up pretty big but at least stopped in time (the runway is in the C-17s abilities it just requires a waiver to use typically).  The jet sat there for a day or two until a replacement crew could be flown in to take the jet home.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Close enough....
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because that's what the C-17 was designed to do.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I guess that is that.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#16]
It's not the first time and won't be the last.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#17]
We are cleared for landing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#18]
A Southwest flight did that in Corpus Christi a few years ago.  If you are not paying attention it is easy to do.

What I didn't understand is they made the people wait a couple of hours until they bussed them back to the righf airport.  It's not like the plane was damaged.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because that is exactly what it was designed to do. YouTube C17 combat landing/takeoffs.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Happened a bunch at Spokane - Fairchild back in the '80's.  Not sure what they did to fix it (or if it was truly fixed).

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A Southwest flight did that in Corpus Christi a few years ago.  If you are not paying attention it is easy to do.

What I didn't understand is they made the people wait a couple of hours until they bussed them back to the righf airport.  It's not like the plane was damaged.
View Quote

I'd guess they'd be a bit concerned about the pilots.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is correct.  Both MacDill AFB and Peter O. Knight Airport are on peninsulas and have runways that are the same direction.

The crew had just flown from the Middle East and messed up pretty big but at least stopped in time (the runway is in the C-17s abilities it just requires a waiver to use typically).  The jet sat there for a day or two until a replacement crew could be flown in to take the jet home.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once on short final, wouldn't the crew have visually identified pretty quick they were lined up at Knight and not MacDill?  Quite a difference between 3400 and 11000, not to mention the private airport vs. air base itself.  

Why couldn't they have requested a go-around, or worst case done a touch-n-go, unless due to outbound traffic in the pattern?  

Bet that was a tough one for the crew to explain. Err, ahh, Sir, we just thought you'd like one of the FBO's killer turkey sandwiches ...  
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#25]
White Green
White White Green

There is a difference
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An empty cargo plane (or airliner for that matter) is considerably more overpowered than most people realize, mainly because they need to be able to fly (climb) single engine (in the case of a twin) at max gross weight.

I've taken off in an empty 777 doing a derated take off (not using full power, by a huge margin) in 2000'.

Check out this 787-9 takeoff:

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
An empty cargo plane (or airliner for that matter) is considerably more overpowered than most people realize, mainly because they need to be able to fly (climb) single engine (in the case of a twin) at max gross weight.

I've taken off in an empty 777 doing a derated take off (not using full power, by a huge margin) in 2000'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwxGDdsI_bU
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or this C-130J.....everything.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone that's flown an approach into KRAP would understand how this could happen. I think the runways share similar headings and they're only separated by a couple miles. Add darkness or weather to the equation and there ya go.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Delta guys are pro's.

Everyone lived, no one got hurt, the airplane is intact.

Everyone makes mistakes.
Even Delta
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Happens a lot, relatively, at Ellsworth.

Runways are 5 miles apart, oriented in the same direction, and both are controlled by Ellsworth AFB Approach control.  

Planes from the East see the first LONG runway and assume that's what they are heading for and line up for it.   The line up/waypoints at distance are the same.  Approach control points out that there are two runways visible to ensure they are aiming for the right one, and they still get it wrong.

View Quote

I've done approach work at Ellsworth a couple times. From the air, those airports are really close, and being oriented roughly the same direction does not make it better. I could definitely see how this would happen.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Once on short final, wouldn't the crew have visually identified pretty quick they were lined up at Knight and not MacDill?  Quite a difference between 3400 and 11000, not to mention the private airport vs. air base itself.  

Why couldn't they have requested a go-around, or worst case done a touch-n-go, unless due to outbound traffic in the pattern?  

Bet that was a tough one for the crew to explain. Err, ahh, Sir, we just thought you'd like one of the FBO's killer turkey sandwiches ...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case, I think they'd flown to Afghanistan, from Europe, and then home, so Fatigue was a factor.

The Air Force also change the approach control procedures after that incident; as stated below, they now point out to the pilots that there should be 2 runways visible.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#34]
If they provided a shuttle I would just drive there
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Delta did the same thing at MacDill AFB (MCF) when trying to land at St Petersburg International (PIE) back around 1980.  The crew popped out of the clouds over Tampa Bay, saw a runway, lined up on it and landed at the AF Base.  Both MCF and PIE are located on peninsulas extending out into the bay, but the main runway at PIE is 40 degrees off from MCF.

About the same timeframe there was a Southern Airlines DC-9 that ended up doing a low approach at Moody AFB on its way to the Valdosta, GA Regional Airport.  The runways are on the same heading, only 10 miles apart with very little offset between the airfields.  Again the crew popped out from the clouds, spotted the runway, lined up on it and only realize their mistake when they saw all the F-4s lined up on the ramp.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My cousin was the pilot that flew if off Peter O Knight.
She just happened to be at MacDill and was the only qualified IP there.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Had it happen here a while back when a converted 747 used to haul 787 fuselage parts called the Dreamlifter landed at a small airport instead of at McConnell. They got a replacement crew and got off alright, but found cracks in the runway afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Delta did the same thing at MacDill AFB (MCF) when trying to land at St Petersburg International (PIE) back around 1980.  The crew popped out of the clouds over Tampa Bay, saw a runway, lined up on it and landed at the AF Base.  Both MCF and PIE are located on peninsulas extending out into the bay, but the main runway at PIE is 40 degrees off from MCF.

About the same timeframe there was a Southern Airlines DC-9 that ended up doing a low approach at Moody AFB on its way to the Valdosta, GA Regional Airport.  The runways are on the same heading, only 10 miles apart with very little offset between the airfields.  Again the crew popped out from the clouds, spotted the runway, lined up on it and only realize their mistake when they saw all the F-4s lined up on the ramp.
View Quote
Yep, Dad talked about that, Captain was in trouble with Delta OP's over that one.

How about a DC-8-63 landing at Da Nang? Not the AFB, but the helicopter base. There's a video of it on YouTube
Seaboard I think was the airline.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:06:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I landed at the wrong airport on my first solo x-country (missed a magnetic variation line on my chart).

Lufthansa was not pleased.

My talking to was  nothing compared to

the reaming my instructor got.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think a member here was onboard a previous mistaken landing at Ellsworth, though it may have been another forum.
View Quote

There was one some years ago. The runways are in similar alignment, but the ASOS broadcast from Rapid constantly reminds pilots about the AF base to the north. The base handles approach and departure control as well.

Rapid City

Ellsworth AFB

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a US Air  flight that was delayed out of Charlotte because they forgot to book a pilot for it .  We waited an hour for a pilot landing on a plane across the terminal hall to come over and fly ours .  I watched him get off the plane and head down our ramp and get in the chair
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l52WDjdRqgo

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was awesome!
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That was awesome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was awesome!

Just outstanding.  That C-130 pilot (Jeff Wayne?) is a stud.  One of the best multi-engine prop demonstrations I've seen since Bob Hoover in his Shrike Aero Commander many years ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2rSXkvymcY

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not bad for that's pilots first time huh?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Always, Always, Always, Always tune up the approach.  Always.
View Quote

Almost landed at RSW before it was open. Going to FMY at night and saw the rotating beacon at RSW.
And there was a VOR on the field at FMY.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That bitch looks like it could take off in reverse using them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#47]
When an unknown jet lands at an Air Force base, what's the Air Force security protocol?  I would expect a bit more than sending out a stairway.  

IIRC, the Soviets started the invasion of Afghanistan by sending commandos in commercial jets to take over the Afghani airports.  The Afghanis didn't know what was going on hours later, when the Soviets were directing military flights into their airports.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
When an unknown jet lands at an Air Force base, what's the Air Force security protocol?  I would expect a bit more than sending out a stairway.  

IIRC, the Soviets started the invasion of Afghanistan by sending commandos in commercial jets to take over the Afghani airports.  The Afghanis didn't know what was going on hours later, when the Soviets were directing military flights into their airports.  
View Quote

Maybe ask Tower for directions to the Active runway and Leave?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt that would stop some bad guys in a jet.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#50]
We did the same thing years ago, touching down at El Paso Int'l instead of Biggs AAF.

Ooops..."Go around".

El Paso quickly called Biggs and demanded a 500 dollar landing fee.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top