Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2016 8:00:53 PM EDT
Thinking carefully about dash cams, but the choices are too numerous to make a clear decision on.

I see many for less than $30 and MANY that sell for $150 to $199 that are discounted for less than $100.

Do all these cams show front as well as rear pictures, or is a separate camera needed?

Also confused about lens and best picture given, if camera uses 120/150 or 170 degree angles.

Night/low light capable is one of my must have also.

Best company/name/warranty you've found if troubles crop up after a couple months as I'm seeing with some reviews.

I'm an old guy in his 60's that likes this new stuff that we never had when growing up, and I need better assistance, than some of the reviews I'm seeing.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of the $30 ones works good just 720p though.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
You will have a harder time finding one that you can install comfortably without looking like a DIY abortion. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Got this one on Amazon yesterday for 25% off or something like that. $75 during the sale.

You still need to add a fuse plug kit to make it look professional, but the mount and configuration look sound. It's the highest buyer rated unit sold on Amazon

I'm getting a 2nd (aux) camera for it, too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm using one of these right now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NG84AT0/

Had it since March. The menu is kind of sketchy and there are problems with recording if you don't follow their SD card formatting kabuki. (Format your card in your PC, then put it into the camera when it's off, then turn the camera on.)

But the recorded video quality is pretty great, it's unobtrusive and very reliable. I used a 12v - USB module to hardwire it into the car. I found an always-on 12v and a ground and spliced the module in.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O6R9PCC/ref=twister_B01CZN7B2O

And here's where the cam nearly paid for itself:

A roadcam is absolutely the cheapest CYA insurance you can buy for your car. Do it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#5]
A month or so ago a member here captured a guy setting a house on fire. Later that day the guy shot a Columbus cop.
He had this one in his van. I've had it on my wish list for a while.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010GYYSU2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=7IKGHBU50WZR&coliid=I16GV0ON1LIU1E
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
i have the G1W. its got the best ratings for $50 dash cams.

there are counterfeits of this model that uses cheaper processor.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The "he said.../she said..." bullshit just got to be too much for me. In my entire life I have only had ONE accident that was my fault and thank God it was a one-vehicle incident. I didn't hurt anyone else.

BUT, I've been in 3 major crashes that ALL involved inattentiveness or flat-out stupidity on the parts of each of the OTHER drivers. My last hard wreck, the lady in the other car was going, "Oh my god, oh my god...it's all my fault...I shouldnt have yada-yada-yada..."

Then the traffic police arrived and she was suddenly going, "He was driving too fast, he was going so fast I didn't have time to blah-blah-blah."

Thank God the officer saw straight through her bullshit and wrote her up for Failure to Yield From A Private Drive.

I'm not taking any more chances.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#9]
This is something I've been interested in doing in my suv.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It took me just about an hour yesterday to hard wire it my fuse box, mount the cameras and run the wires.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It took me just about an hour yesterday to hard wire it my fuse box, mount the cameras and run the wires.

Yup, easy peasy. Next step, I'm putting in a rear cam.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#13]
This is pretty much the standard for cheap good webcams.

Amazon Link

It takes a micro SD card, up to 32 gig.  Takes good video.   I have 2.  Only problem I have has is the cigarette lighter plug on one broke, but its not a big deal b/c I'm going to wire it into a fuse box.  

$50  hard to beat for that price
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Amazon Link

It takes a micro SD card, up to 32 gig.  Takes good video.   I have 2.  Only problem I have has is the cigarette lighter plug on one broke, but its not a big deal b/c I'm going to wire it into a fuse box.  

View Quote

The G1W has a silver bezel around the lens making it very noticeable (to thieves).  They have a model G1W-B which has a black bezel making it less noticeable.   They also have a model that runs off a capacitor instead of a battery.  They claim the capacitor works better and doesn't fail as easily.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-G1W-B-Bezel-Dashboard/dp/B00OQSXWUM
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one of the G1W-C cameras with the "good" processor. The video is amazing and the wiring hid rather easily in my Ram 1500. Good view angle, great video, sketchy menu in camera but easy to play SD card in PC. No rear camera (that would be nice). I've had it for going on two years and it's just starting to get buggy...starting to delay booting up.  It sits high in the window but I imagine two years of Georgia temps may be taking it's toll.

roy d...so I'll be shopping for a replacement
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#17]
How about a gopro? I know it cost more but I can use it for other reasons.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

NO unless the go pro  starts and stops with no input from you.
ZERO input

thats the advantage a dashcam has  .. set it and forgot it

you can tell your self you will stop and start it every time..   but  eventually you wont

a dash cam  is forget about it till you need it.

there are free dashcam apps for yous with an extra phone  but the same limitation  .. you have to stop start it.

the crappiest  dashcam is better then a red 4K set up  if that ultrahigh def high unit  wasnt  turned on  when you needed it .

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#19]
For $75 you aren't going to get much of a camera.  But, you can get one that works.

Go over to Youtube and find "Techmoan" who has done about 60 camera reviews, plus has some "how to dash cam" basic videos to teach you the starter stuff.

MOST cameras do not do rear or even into the cabin until you get above the 150 price point, and then they are lousy ones.

I got two cameras.  A Chitronic 0805 for the rear, and a DOD W460LS for the front.  $99 and $190 respectively.  Dont forget you gotta buy a memory card too.

Had trouble with the Chitronic not liking a 64 gb card, so had to buy another 32 gb to run in it.  Both take very good videos.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have one of the G1W-C cameras with the "good" processor. The video is amazing and the wiring hid rather easily in my Ram 1500. Good view angle, great video, sketchy menu in camera but easy to play SD card in PC. No rear camera (that would be nice). I've had it for going on two years and it's just starting to get buggy...starting to delay booting up.  It sits high in the window but I imagine two years of Georgia temps may be taking it's toll.

roy d...so I'll be shopping for a replacement
View Quote

I have the same one and have very good results. Today it caught a guy cutting off the end of his finger. Two weeks ago it captured a gal get hit by a dump truck.

Get the C model- it has a capacitor rather than a battery so it lasts longer in the heat.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I really like having the rear cam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, easy peasy. Next step, I'm putting in a rear cam.

I really like having the rear cam.

Yeah, I definately want to do the rear camera. Thought about buying two cheaper ones and just plugging it up in the back. That way if one crap out. You don't have to replace everything
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Subscribed....this thread has great interest for me.

I'd like a front AND back system. And good audio.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I would think Made in Russia would be a good thing
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Does anyone make one w/ front and rear integrated and a gopro mount?  ('yota has it already)
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Easily this

http://slickdeals.net/f/8915983-vantrue-hd-dash-cams-r2-w-32gb-memory-card-90-more?v=1
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:27:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Got this one on Amazon yesterday for 25% off or something like that. $75 during the sale.

You still need to add a fuse plug kit to make it look professional, but the mount and configuration look sound. It's the highest buyer rated unit sold on Amazon

I'm getting a 2nd (aux) camera for it, too.
View Quote

I am currently on a road trip and bought a Rexing V1 for it. A coworker bought one and I was impressed with the videos it took. So far I really like it and will hardwire mount it in my FJ Cruiser when I get home. I mainly like the small form factor of it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:19:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Way out of your price range but

Front and back cameras

blackvue
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Scads of product reviews and comparisons at Dashcam Talk.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:54:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thinking carefully about dash cams, but the choices are too numerous to make a clear decision on.

I see many for less than $30 and MANY that sell for $150 to $199 that are discounted for less than $100.

Do all these cams show front as well as rear pictures, or is a separate camera needed?

Also confused about lens and best picture given, if camera uses 120/150 or 170 degree angles.

Night/low light capable is one of my must have also.

Best company/name/warranty you've found if troubles crop up after a couple months as I'm seeing with some reviews.

I'm an old guy in his 60's that likes this new stuff that we never had when growing up, and I need better assistance, than some of the reviews I'm seeing.
View Quote

You get what you pay for. You want cheap, you get cheap results. You want a good low light dash cam?
Get the Street Guardian is more what you're looking for but it may be out of your price range. I have been using one for about a year now and it puts out great video night and day.
Street Guardian
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:53:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Amazon Link

View Quote
This is the one i have.  Damn nice camera for the money.  The south Texas heat hasn't killed it yet

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I put in one like that in my son's truck after a couple of shitheads that hates him tried to run him off the road, after coming up along side him and shattering his drivers side mirror.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just installed this one in my F150-

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EX8ATKK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Front and rear cameras.

Not $75, but they are pretty good cameras.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm using one of these right now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NG84AT0/

Had it since March. The menu is kind of sketchy and there are problems with recording if you don't follow their SD card formatting kabuki. (Format your card in your PC, then put it into the camera when it's off, then turn the camera on.)

But the recorded video quality is pretty great, it's unobtrusive and very reliable. I used a 12v - USB module to hardwire it into the car. I found an always-on 12v and a ground and spliced the module in.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O6R9PCC/ref=twister_B01CZN7B2O

http://i.imgur.com/8gpS8CNl.jpg

And here's where the cam nearly paid for itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgTTCdjI2BY

A roadcam is absolutely the cheapest CYA insurance you can buy for your car. Do it.

I put in one like that in my son's truck after a couple of shitheads that hates him tried to run him off the road, after coming up along side him and shattering his drivers side mirror.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just installed this one in my F150-

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EX8ATKK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Front and rear cameras.

Not $75, but they are pretty good cameras.  

How does the rear work with a truck? I have a Tundra and the bed height is very high so I would imagine it'd just be recording higher up stuff that is either further back or other trucks while as a car really close is hard to tell. Have any generic video by chance?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

My GoPro didn't handle this Florida heat well.  Overtemp shutdowns.  Battery deaths.

Also, I never could figure out how to get true 'loop record.'

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Try to get one with a capacitor instead of a battery. The batteries die or "'splode" in the heat. Hot sun through windshield will toast some of the cheaper models I see posted here.

Unless it is cheap enough to be considered disposable.

Test and view after install as well just to be sure what the camera is seeing. And be prepared to re-format the SD card once in a while.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The G1W has a silver bezel around the lens making it very noticeable (to thieves).  They have a model G1W-B which has a black bezel making it less noticeable.   They also have a model that runs off a capacitor instead of a battery.  They claim the capacitor works better and doesn't fail as easily.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazon Link

There are A LOT OF FAKES out there, which are junk.

ONLY BUY FROM SPY TEC!!! Did my homework after reading this thread.  

As far as the Spy Tech G1W cameras there are several models.  It is strongly suggested if you live in area like Texas, LA, NM, ect where temps get in high 90's or worse to buy a G1W-C(the C stands for capacitor) or the G1W-CB(again stands for capacitor and for stealth purposes the chrome around camera is black with this model).  From my reading the only advantage the models with a battery instead of capacitor offers is you can take it out of the vehicle to take still pics if, knock on wood, you're involved in an accident.  And who in this day and age doesn't carry a phone that can take pictures(besides my dad ).  The con is in high heat the battery models can "explode" or leak which isn't a good scenario inside a vehicle.  

I bought a G1W-C for "Test Purposes" after reading this thread and doing a lot of research.  After running the G1W-C for a day(so take it with a grain of salt), I am
Impressed it with.  Just ordered a G1W-CB, two hard wire kits and another Sony 32gb microSDHC Memory Card from Amazon(Micro SD card NOT INCLUDED).  I will be moving the G1W-C to the back window of my truck and will be installing the CB to my front windshield.  Link to GENUINE Dash Cam I bought.

As good as these "cheap" cameras are, and for less than $200 to have have front and back dash cam
Footage I caulk this up as cheap insurance.  Spending more money for a cam that will record speed and GPS coordinates didn't make a damn to
Me.  I'm VERY happy with this genuine product and can't wait for hard wire kit and second camera to come in so I can get everything hard wired so it's worry free.  

Oh and the audio is exceptional in my G1W-C.  I listen to XM radio comedy, and after looking at some
Videos I couldn't help but think, Jesus... I may need to turn this feature of when Richard Pryor is throwing the "N" word around like he is lol.  

And I my camera is set to 3min cycles.  I have heard of some cameras that will loose a second or two of footage when like mine the 3min is up.  The GW1-C model after it saves when 3 min is up, the new 3min cycle starts off with last second or so from last file saved.  You can pretty set the camera up and forget it with a micro SD card as it will automatically record over the last video when micro sd card gets full.  For the money, the quality of the 1080HD quality I am extremely impressed with this genuine product, and by Sunday(hopefully), I will be covered from the front and the rear.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top