Link Posted: 7/15/2016 2:12:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Good bikes, but all my info is second hand
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 2:13:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Meh... get a BMW.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Used to be a beast to work on, had to do your own gaskets and stuff, but that was pre-internet.  I know a buddy of mine used to be able to get 3 on his 750back in H.S.  A guy I know has one with a side car that they ride in parades and stuff, he loves it!
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty expensive to maintain just like most European bikes.

They use similar ECU's as some of the Ducatis I have worked with, and thus you can use some software to help you work on your bike if need be.

Other than that I don't know much about them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Jay Leno likes them, me less so
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a '15 griso, I love it as a power cruiser. working on it is really simple, there's really nothing fancy about them mechanically. They are few and far between everyone wants to know what kind of Harley it is.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Owned by Piaggio, Europe's largest motorcycle manufacturer.
Quality has vastly improved since Piaggio's ownership.

Lot's of torque, not a lot of HP.
The bike will torque to the __________ on acceleration.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#8]
hmmm

thanks!
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had a couple of them..'88 Le Mans and '05 Breva.  The Le Mans was a basketcase, but the Breva was a solid bike.  I enjoyed them both.

My favorite motorcycle shirt is one that the dealer gave me when I bought the Breva.  "Moto Guzzi.   Going out of business since 1921."

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I would love to see one in person and give it a ride.  But there are not any dealers nearby.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#11]
It's no Hodaka Wombat
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Nor a Combat Wombat, Dirt Squirt, Road Toad, Rat, Super Rat....
I KNOW I missed a few names......
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Good bikes or crap?
View Quote

How much do you want to know? What era?

(FWIW, I have owned most of them from the 1960s-on, worked in a Guzzi shop for 5 years,  and have written a book on them.)

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a V7 Stone. I got tired of all the shit BMW keeps adding to their bikes, and bought the Guzzi. It is simple as hell to maintain, reminds me of an older airhead BMW. It isn't fast, but it is a lot of fun to ride.
The new Eldorado, and California cruisers are unique, and very striking to look at. Handle much better than Harleys as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Key factors to consider are include parts availability, service cost, and resale value.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:03:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had a couple of them..'88 Le Mans and '05 Breva.  The Le Mans was a basketcase, but the Breva was a solid bike.  I enjoyed them both.

My favorite motorcycle shirt is one that the dealer gave me when I bought the Breva.  "Moto Guzzi.   Going out of business since 1921."

View Quote

That's pretty funny.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Key factors to consider are include parts availability, service cost, and resale value.
View Quote

Guess it depends on where you live. Here in buttsuck OH I have 3 stocking dealers within 2 hours. Parts are no longer a problem since Piaggo bought them. I could care less about resale, mine will be in the garage when I croak.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That's pretty funny.

Chris

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's pretty funny.

Chris

And pretty much true . . .
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Guess it depends on where you live. Here in buttsuck OH I have 3 stocking dealers within 2 hours. Parts are no longer a problem since Piaggo bought them. I could care less about resale, mine will be in the garage when I croak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense intended.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No offense intended.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense intended.

None taken It is a blast to ride, even with only 45hp. Only weighs 410 pounds.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#21]
My wife has a V7 racer,  she doesn't ride it a whole lot but it's easy as hell to maintain.

I've ridden it a few times,  lots of torque,  smooth as hell,  rides well and the most important part,  she likes it ( I've ridden her a few times too  )

I know.....rules.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I briefly owned an '02 V11 LeMans a couple of years back.  It was my dream bike when it was new, so I was extremely happy to obtain it.

Now, I am a mechanical idiot, but if I had to bring bikes to dealers for oil changes, valve adjustments, gasket changes, other "simple" things, I couldn't afford to have them - and with that, the V11 was the easiest to perform those duties on.

Parts were cheap enough, through the main US places.

The ride was simply amazing, and the sound, even better.  I sold her to someone who is also deeply in love with her, so I feel good about it.

Of course, being Italian, there were some quirks, nothing ever really broke on me, but things like the shifter and random bolts, footrest would simply fall off while riding.  I would keep a full set of tools, and bolt stuff back on after walking back to find the parts.

Also, make sure to get the high zinc oil.

Edit - ha, post 1100, how appropriate
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Owned by Piaggio, Europe's largest motorcycle manufacturer.

Quality has vastly improved since Piaggio's ownership.

Lot's of torque, not a lot of HP.

The bike will torque to the __________ on acceleration.  

View Quote

Not really. All the early (2009-2012) 8v engines had exploding tappets. Piaggio owns that fiasco. Make sure any 2009-20012 8v-powered bike you buy has the upgraded tappets. Also, make sure the tappets were replaced before the old tappets grenaded, as the main bearings in the Piaggio-designed 8v blocks are not replaceable. (Main bearings on the earlier Guzzis were replaceable.)

I worked at the local Guzzi shop during the transition from Moto Guzzi importation by Moto America, to Aprilia, and finally to Piaggio, and Piaggio was absolutely horrible to deal with. They have improved, or so I am told because (thank God) I no longer have to deal with those assholes.

Aprilia similarly compromised the reputation of Guzzi engines when they added hydraulic lifters and single-plate clutches to the 2V engines in 2003/2004 and fucked both up in truly Italian fashion.

Every other engine company on earth long ago figured all of this shit out, but Aprilia and Piaggio somehow fucked it up and put a big hit on the reputation of Moto Guzzi.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:49:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I had a quota I rode for about a year or so, it was a solid bike without any issues but dropping the oil pan to change the oil filter was a pita. It took a little while to get used to the motor feeling like it had marbles rolling around in the crankcase, but I liked it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:09:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Want
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:10:51 AM EDT
[#26]
The Harley Davidson of Europe.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:21:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I have had a 2006  Breva 1100 for five Yeats. It is a great bike with better build quality than my former 2004 BMW 1150R. It is also simpler to service. I have only done regular service on it. No problems at all. Parts are no problem. I think of it as a cross between a BMW and a Harley. It has the performance, ride and handling of a BMW with the more mechanical character of the Harley. Mine is a keeper, long with the 73 BMW R 75in the garage.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have long made that very same observation.

Guzzi made its bones in America by taking on H-D in the police market, with good success. I have a 1973 police Eldorado. It's a phenomenal motorcycle. It now has about 200,000 miles on it and surprises the fuck out of people on more recent bikes in the twisties.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:26:46 AM EDT
[#29]

That's basically a V11 Sport with a cat-in-heat tailpiece and Ohlins. I have a 2004 V11 Coppa Italia with Ohlins on both ends.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:57:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't know anything about the newer ones. I've had an Eldorado, and currently own two 850T3s.

They're incredibly easy to work on, and parts are readily available. Get a copy of Guzziology, and bookmark
Greg Bender's website This Old Tractor .

Bender makes inexpensive replacement wiring harnesses of excellent quality; if you need trans or final drive work, contact Charley Cole at Zydeco Racing .

I love mine, and am currently trying to coax the owner of a V1000 Convert to sell it to me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My wife has a V7 racer,  she doesn't ride it a whole lot but it's easy as hell to maintain.

I've ridden it a few times,  lots of torque,  smooth as hell,  rides well and the most important part,  she likes it ( I've ridden her a few times too  )

I know.....rules.

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/Pinepig/media/IMG_20160708_122116_zpskvj7u9zh.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20160708_122116_zpskvj7u9zh.jpg</a>
View Quote

Looks like it fits her well. I almost got one but went with a CB1100 instead.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have had a 2006  Breva 1100 for five Yeats.
View Quote

I only gave two Walt Whitmans for mine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#33]
What's not to like..I would have one if there was a good dealer close to me. Ride what trips your trigger. I am not a hater.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Another Quota owner. Love it. Bought it new in '02. Never been in the shop in 14 years except for PCIII dyno tune. Easy to work on. Great 2 up touring on the highway or in the twisties. OK offroad on forest roads and jeep trails but not suitable for the deep sugar sand down here. Great bike, mine still runs like a scalded cat.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Super Combat! Gotta love the simple things in life. Those little Hodie motors were about as simple as they come. Couple pics of a rebuild I did for a friend.

Sorry for the threadjack, now back to the Guzzi's. They are a bit of an oddball but they most certainly have a following. I have several friends who have owned them over the years and while they had their quirks I never remember any horror stories.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can probably get more HD parts in Italy than you can get Guzzi parts in Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Not my favorite Italian make, but still a fan.  Anyway, I am on a Triumph kick right now and dumped my Italian GF's.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not my favorite Italian make, but still a fan.  Anyway, I am on a Triumph kick right now and dumped my Italian GF's.
View Quote

After test riding the 2016 Striple and Speed Triple S last weekend, so am I!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I don't know anything about the newer ones. I've had an Eldorado, and currently own two 850T3s.

They're incredibly easy to work on, and parts are readily available. Get a copy of Guzziology, and bookmark

Greg Bender's website This Old Tractor .

Bender makes inexpensive replacement wiring harnesses of excellent quality; if you need trans or final drive work, contact Charley Cole at Zydeco Racing .

I love mine, and am currently trying to coax the owner of a V1000 Convert to sell it to me.
View Quote

I second the above, especially the Guzziology recommendation. I worked with Dave Richardson for 5 years at Moto International.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Super Combat! Gotta love the simple things in life. Those little Hodie motors were about as simple as they come. Couple pics of a rebuild I did for a friend.

http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/10/18/Hodaka_rebuild_014_927550.jpg

http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/10/18/Hodaka_rebuild_015_251823.jpg

http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/10/18/Hodaka_rebuild_004_953675.jpg

Sorry for the threadjack, now back to the Guzzi's. They are a bit of an oddball but they most certainly have a following. I have several friends who have owned them over the years and while they had their quirks I never remember any horror stories.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/10/18/Hodaka_rebuild_014_927550.jpg

http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/10/18/Hodaka_rebuild_015_251823.jpg

http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/10/18/Hodaka_rebuild_004_953675.jpg

I used to race a Hodaka-powered Alsport with a leading-link fork. It was a weird little bike.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's no Hodaka Wombat
View Quote

I learned to ride on my dad's 73 Combat Wombat 125 when i was ~10, restoring it slowly right now...
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Is it you, or your parents in this income tax bracket?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#45]
All motorcycles are sold with instruction for the "break-in" period, i.e. "do not exceed 50mph for the first 500 miles, 60mph for the next 1000 miles, etc.".

When Moto Guzzi's get to the end of the production line at the factory, an old man starts the brand new bike and winds it up to redline and keeps it there for 60 seconds, then shuts it off.

It's then crated and shipped.

That's their break-in period.

My brother went on Moto Guzzi's factory tour when he was in Italy a few years back.

He's always been a BMW rider, but owned a Guzzi also for about ten years. He rode the hell out of that bike and never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

All motorcycles are sold with instruction for the "break-in" period, i.e. "do not exceed 50mph for the first 500 miles, 60mph for the next 1000 miles, etc.".

When Moto Guzzi's get to the end of the production line at the factory, an old man starts the brand new bike and winds it up to redline and keeps it there for 60 seconds, then shuts it off.

It's then crated and shipped.

That's their break-in period.

My brother went on Moto Guzzi's factory tour when he was in Italy a few years back.

He's always been a BMW rider, but owned a Guzzi also for about ten years. He rode the hell out of that bike and never had a problem with it.
View Quote

I'm not sure what they do today, but until the recent past, they were all taken to the Guzzi test track and flogged really hard for a few miles. Guzzi use Nikasil cylinders, so they break in really fast if you flog them hard from the get-go.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top