View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lake Kivu in the DRC\Rwanda gets my vote.

Isn't that the volcanic lake that periodically pukes out deadly gasses from time to time?

I was going to say about anywhere in sub-Saharan Africa (malaria, hippos, large carnivores) for the "flora/fauna" category, but I guess your lake region would be tops.

"man" category....anywhere Islam borders a population it wants to "assimilate". I recall reading a report twenty years ago that over 80% of all deadly conflicts, at any given time, had muslims on one side or both. Probably higher now.

Yup. It's also conveniently located in the DRC which is one of the few places on Earth you are just about guaranteed to be raped, killed and eaten (not, necessarily, in that order) for being white and drawing breath by an alarmingly significant portion of the local humans.

Being white is actually safer than being black in Goma and the surrounding area.

If you kill a white person, then that brings attention to your group.  You wipe out a village, and no one gives a shit.

Point taken.

However "safer" is a weirdly relative term in the DRC

It is.  I'm not saying its safe, but you are not going to be targeting in the same way you would if you were black.  The other thing about being white there is that you are probably a foot taller and everyone and stick out like a sore thumb, so doing things on the sly is difficult for both the white person and any criminal element targeting the white person.  

You are probably more likely to be targeted for bribes, however.  Having a teenager tell you there is a problem with your passport while waving an AK around is not a fun experience.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll go with Rio for both categories.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Queimada Grande, also known as Snake Island off the coast of Brazil

Some estimates have 1 snake for every square meter
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That first post thing never fails.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Africa and Africa.
View Quote

*Boom!* This.  

/end thread
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

MLK Boulevard in any major US city.
View Quote
So awesome!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Just about all of RC South (Kandahar/Helmand) 2010-11ish in AFG during the fighting season gets my vote.

Fucking shithole filled with nasty people and plenty of other things that want to kill you.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilha_da_Queimada_Grande

Snake island...estimated one pit viper per square meter.
View Quote

+1

Isla de NOPE is more like it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do not consider geography, terrain, weather as factors (i.e., we know humans can't live in volcanos etc).
View Quote

to be nitpicky, you're asking an intrinsically geographical question, so it seems strange not to consider geography (which associates disease, climate, biome, demographics, etc.).  

i'd give both answers generally in sub-saharan africa, where people can just flat disappear.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Humans- Raqqa, Syria

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm going to go with a nudist colony next to a Madrasa in the Australian Outback.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#13]
You left out Merryweather.    
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Plants/animals/insects = Northern Territories of Australia

Humans = The Iron Triangle of Richmond, CA. after dark.

View Quote

Not even close.  The city with the highest murder rate is Chicago Heights, IL.  The aggregate city (greater city area) is St. Louis, MO.

The most dangerous city in the world is Caracas.  However, it's how muders are defined and calculated. This is why cities in Syria and Iraq don't make the list.  Otherwise, these and others in that region would displace Caracus.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#15]
national lampoons vacation east st louis dot jpg
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Hospitals...especially med-surg wards in university hospitals.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Australia always seems like everything is toxic and has big teeth.

Recife, Brazil

The anti-biotic resistant STDs are thought to originate there from heavy use of self-administered meds by the prostitutes.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Chernobyl
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree

http://www.fastcompany.com/1683733/rwandas-exploding-lake-kivu-could-kill-millions-or-power-country-100-years
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree

http://www.fastcompany.com/1683733/rwandas-exploding-lake-kivu-could-kill-millions-or-power-country-100-years
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Waist deep in the Endeavour River in Queensland Australia.

Tie off any parts you want your kin to bury to something sturdy on shore.

View Quote

except for the people, who are quite agreeable, everything in australia wants to kill you.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Australia

ETA: Also Chicago at night.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a decent pick for both categories.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Humans are deadly dangerous wherever and whenever you encounter them.

However, you'll find ARFCOM's "kill it with fire" nightmare below.

Snake Island

Due to the number of snakes and toxicity of their venom, the Brazilian Navy took action and closed the island to the public.

<snip>

...there are so many snakes on one island, by some estimates one snake to every square meter of the island...
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
to be nitpicky, you're asking an intrinsically geographical question, so it seems strange not to consider geography (which associates disease, climate, biome, demographics, etc.).  

i'd give both answers generally in sub-saharan africa, where people can just flat disappear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do not consider geography, terrain, weather as factors (i.e., we know humans can't live in volcanos etc).

yeah, but we all know people will drown in the ocean and freeze exposed in Antarctica.

Gotta build some controls into the hypo
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Australia isn't that dangerous

It's mainly nothingness. You just need to watch out for the drop bears
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Well, for white folks.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Plants and animals - Australia

People - North Sentinel Island

Fuck that place
View Quote

Yep.  At least in other places, you might be able to talk/bribe your way to safety or maybe they will want a ransom....there, they will just try to kill you on sight.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

At the intersection of .............

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Khumbu Icefall.

For the number of people who've been killed there, versus the number traversing it, it has to be right up there.

Shipton, on his Everest Reconnaissance  expedition in 1951, explored the approaches to Everest thoroughly. He dismissed the Khumbu Icefall from consideration as an approach because of the obvious danger.  To put that in context, Shipton and Tilman pioneered the ferociously difficult approach to the inner sanctuary of Nanda Devi. Shipton led the 1935 British Everest expedition from the north.

Over the decades I've personally known two people who died in that icefall. Until you've been in an icefall at that latitude you don't understand how unstable they are compared to icefalls in places like Denali, in the subarctic.
It is used simply because there is no other alternative. Experienced mountaineers consider it the most dangerous section of that route, and try, if possible, to traverse it as little as possible, preferably at dawn.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Probably both in Africa.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Khumbu Icefall.

For the number of people who've been killed there, versus the number traversing it, it has to be right up there.

Shipton, on his Everest Reconnaissance  expedition in 1951, explored the approaches to Everest thoroughly. He dismissed the Khumbu Icefall from consideration as an approach because of the obvious danger.  To put that in context, Shipton and Tilman pioneered the ferociously difficult approach to the inner sanctuary of Nanda Devi. Shipton led the 1935 British Everest expedition from the north.

Over the decades I've personally known two people who died in that icefall. Until you've been in an icefall at that latitude you don't understand how unstable they are compared to icefalls in places like Denali, in the subarctic. It is used simply because there is no other alternative. Experienced mountaineers consider it the most dangerous section of that route, and try, if possible, to traverse it as little as possible, preferably at dawn.

View Quote

"Do not consider geography, terrain, weather as factors"
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Khumbu Icefall.

Over the decades I've personally known two people who died in that icefall. Until you've been in an icefall at that latitude you don't understand how unstable they are compared to icefalls in places like Denali, in the subarctic. It is used simply because there is no other alternative. Experienced mountaineers consider it the most dangerous section of that route, and try, if possible, to traverse it as little as possible, preferably at dawn.

Got me there.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

why, is your hat size 8 1/2 or something?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I suspect the correct answer may vary by person.

I would not thrive in Papua New Guinea.

why, is your hat size 8 1/2 or something?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

My head is bigger on the inside than the outside.

But I'm thinking this is the least developed part of the world for a reason.  I.e., nobody really wants to be there.  I'm a bigger fan of solitude than most, but tropical heat, tigers, cannibals and tribes just generally murderously hostile to the outside world, malaria, AIDS, ridiculous rape statistics (14% have participated in gang rape? )  Nah, I'm not feelin' it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Africa and Africa.
View Quote

Africa wins again.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top