Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2016 11:55:31 AM EDT
So I heard my precious baby, my mighty hunter, Lucy the Beagle give her "special" bark.

She has different barks for different reasons. I interpreted this as her beetle and lizard bark. Its a little higher pitched than her rat/squirrel bark, with whimsical overtones.

I looked through the window and saw her looking and pawing at the ground by the tree. I walked out and when she saw me she grabbed the item in her mouth and kind of ran off like she does, cause she's a greedy little bitch.

When I caught up to her I saw a brown blob. My first thought was a baby bird. I immediately grabbed it and was rewarded with mole jaws clamped around my finger!

Damn! The thing would not let go!!! I pulled and pulled and it just clamped tighter! WTF do you need fangs and jaw muscles for to eat worms?!?!!

It eventually did let go though. My little fingie still hurts! More from the vicelike pinching than the little punctures.

I rewarded my mighty huntress with a treat and killed the mole.

Someone else has dibs on my guns if I die.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You gonna die, honky! Moles got da beetus!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Pic of the mighty hunter.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You gonna die, honky! Moles got da beetus!
View Quote

I'm just glad they are as small as they are. A 40 lb mole could take a leg off.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I generally just let Madison do her thing until they're dead.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#6]
My GSP used to kill them all the time when we lived in Louisiana.  He would bring them up and leave them on the door step.  Ugly little bastards.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a mole fall into my pond yesterday and drown. It was a good day.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Moles are believed to be what first bit the Chinese swimmer in World War Z.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#9]
My dog Maggie hunted a mole all winter that had been tearing up my yard.  She finally caught the little bastard sometime in March, and spent the next week sitting near where she found it staring off into space, like "now what am I going to do with my time?"
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Dibs on guns!

Dibs on pup!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Add chipmunks to that list too. My cat caught one when I was a kid and I tried to save it. Fucker latched onto my finger and wouldn't let go. Needless to say, the ungrateful bitch got smashed up against a rock and then given back to my cat who then devoured it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#12]
oh lawd op gots teh AIDS
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't gotten to run my beagles in a long time so the only sport they get is what's in the yard. Luckily there is quite a bit in the yard. They get the occasional possum, rats, snakes, beetles . . . .

They also get to dig holes. In fact I encourage it, as long as it's not to dig out.

High energy hunting dogs need an outlet and a way to express their instincts. Of all my beagles/hounds, Lucy has been the most tenacious. She bounced off the walls the first year or so of her life, especially if she wasn't able to go to the hunt club to trail. She would literally trail until she dropped. I sure do miss listening to them trail and watching them on my garmin astro gps.

Pic after a hard day of trailing.

Oh well. She is older and calmer now and spends her energy guarding the perimeter of the yard against all intruders.
There is a mindset among many hunters that if you give your dog attention and take care of it, they won't hunt. But nothing could be further from the truth. I let mine sleep in the camper with us and ride inside the truck, if a deer was lost it was my precious little baby that found it! The other dogs didn't seem to know what was expected. Lucy has found deer in places that people swore the deer did not go. Instead of interfering with her instincts, and turn her around, I would just let her do her thing. She found them. Every. Time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a beagle lab mix, he barks like normal till he finds or sees something odd. Then the beagle howl comes out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Rodent bites fucking hurt.  While African soft-furred rats are nasty - the bastards will jump across the tub to take a piece out of you - a bite from an adult rabbit can seriously fuck up your day.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Your later years are not going to be pretty!

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Your mighty hunter was just trying to protect you from that mean ol' mole.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#18]
We had one pop up in our chicken run when my daughter was out there. Once it made it top side, the chickens started going after it and pecked the shit out of it. My daughter felt sorry for it and picked it up, the first thing it did was bite her. she dropped it and it took off.

I made her look around our yard, which looked like a fucking war zone, and told her "the next time you see something like that, remember how shitty our yard looks and how much harder it is for me to mow, and then stomp the fuck out of that little bastard".
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I've caught a few moles barehanded before. Never had one try to bite, but they would all try to dig out of my grip with their surprisingly strong arms and long claws.  

Voles are a different story. I had one corned in the yard before and it turned around and did a "Come at me bro!" I poked towards it with a flip-flop and it jumped up off the ground and latched on to it.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Rodent bites fucking hurt.  While African soft-furred rats are nasty - the bastards will jump across the tub to take a piece out of you - a bite from an adult rabbit can seriously fuck up your day.
View Quote

While rabbits aren't rodents, technically, I agree about their bite.

We had a pet. Had a baby gate up. Made out of HEAVY nylon webbing. Rabbit snipped through that plastic like it wasn't there. I knew right there I never wanted to get bit by Bugs.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Awwww.  She's adorable.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#24]
pics (of the grievous wound) or it dint happen.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#25]

my dog tears the yard up over them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Just be happy it wasn't a star nosed mole.

Ugly lil fucker looks like he has a alien jumping out of his face.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

they say that a rabbit can bite a finger off no problem
thankfully our pet rabbit never bit anybody, even when she got old and grumpy she never bit
she would grunt and stomp at you and paw you with her front feet (also very powerful)

but I would believe it,
she chewed on everything but when bored or if she wanted out in the house
she would grab a gate I made out of 2x2" wood and just sit there biting hunks out of it
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Stay woke, gitarmac!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Your dog is a Super.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like the beginnings of a great 'B' Sci Fi flick for the SciFi channel: The Mole Man
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm surprised that you aren't missing a chunk of meat!  We have a lot of moles around here and once when I saw the dog dig up a live one I threw it in a 5 gallon bucket.  I stuck a 1/4" steel rod in there to see what the mole would do and it viciously attacked it.  Tiny little razor sharp teeth doing everything they could do to rip that steel apart.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes they do.

I thought I was the only person on earth who had encountered this problem.

I rescued one from my two retardogs and let it go, even after it bit the shit out of my finger.  He was too cute.

...and way off in a field in my hunting camp, not particularly bothering anything.

That was a couple of years ago and I'm not frothing at the mouth yet so you oughta be fine, OP.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I generally just let Madison do her thing until they're dead.
View Quote
This is the correct answer.  Dag does the work, then gets a reward.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stay woke, gitarmac!

I laughed too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Never, ever grab ANY wild animal with your bare hand.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
Moles aren't rodents.  Neither are rabbits.

Do you even taxonomy, bro?  

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

rabbits are rodents
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I use to have both a mole problem, and a Norwegian Elkhound.  One day I noticed a very fresh mole mound under a tree, so I dragged the Elkhound (Tina) to the mound scratched a bit of dirt off the top and stuck her nose into it.  She backed away and ran to about 10 feet away, so I brought her back, and repeated my "clue".  The dog and I did this once more and while I looked at her thinking "dumb dog", she scratched at the ground a couple of times stuck her nose in the dirt and flipped out a freshly killed mole....stupid human, Tina knew where it was the whole time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Never, ever grab ANY wild animal with your bare hand.
View Quote
This.

OP how is you rabies shot update?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top