Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2016 11:41:20 AM EDT

The holsters most NYPD cops carry on their hips were purchased in a surplus fire sale more than two decades ago after the Los Angeles Police Department rejected them for a better, more secure model, the Daily News has learned.

“The LAPD didn’t think it was a good holster 20 years ago, so the NYPD got them for a bargain,” retired NYPD Lt. Daniel Modell said Wednesday of the Safariland holster model No. 2955.

“Almost every cop will tell you they had to replace that holster once in their career,” said Modell, who used to work in the department’s firearms and tactics section.

Modell recalled the sale occurred in the 1990s.

LAPD gives faulty hand-me-down gun holsters to NYPD cops for a bargain. (Handout)

“They’re not the best,” the source said. “The only reason we have them is because the LAPD didn’t want them.”

Complaints about the holsters surfaced a day after a perp snatched the gun from Officer Jorge Monge’s holster and used it to kill a deli worker in the Bronx early Tuesday.

Link
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#1]
So what else is new? Agencies are always providing the finest equipment that the lowest bidder has to offer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#2]
In before Extorris!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Wrong holster in the pic and it's the 295 not 2955. The 295 is indeed garbage.

Quoted:
So what else is new? Agencies are always providing the finest equipment that the lowest bidder has to offer.
View Quote

They don't provide squat, the cops have to buy it themselves.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#5]
LOL.....The first experience I ever had with the NYPD was at Yankee Stadium in the early 80s. They were still carrying 6" Model 10s in those old leather swivel holsters.

Hell, even my backwater hometown PD had went to Model 19 .357s in a Jordan holster by then.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LOL.....The first experience I ever had with the NYPD was at Yankee Stadium in the early 80s. They were still carrying 6" Model 10s in those old leather swivel holsters.
View Quote

Those holsters are still being used.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do they have to pay for the crap holster or can they pay more for a decent one?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Then the cops shouldn't have bought the shitty holsters.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Even with top notch gear, pushing a full-time duty holster for more than 4-5 years is just asking for trouble.  Shit wears out... and duty holsters generally get the ever-loving shit beat out them just getting in and out of cars and normal everyday shit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#10]
About 12 years ago the local sheriff department issued to each officer a new Safariland  SS III holster and new Sig 226 pistol.  
One day at the local range I was standing in the back having a drink when I noticed a young deputy officer go up to the shooting line.  He reached down and grabbed his pistol and tried to draw...but the pistol didn't come out.  He check the thumb snap and it was undone, he rocked the pistol back correctly so he pulled the pistol up and still nothing happened...except his belt line was now above his belly button. He pulled again and nothing...he yanked and still nothing...except his belt line was getting close to his nipples.  He looked and stared at it for about 2 minutes before he forgot about the middle finger snap.  He rocked the pistol and pulled at the pistol came out.  In all it took about 3 minutes to take the pistol out of the holster.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I've always heard the same story about those holsters but the holsters aren't issued by the department, they are purchased by the officer.....so it really makes no difference to the department whether the holsters are $120 or $150.......
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#12]
So they are bitching now about 20 year old holsters . Seems like they got the moneys worth out of them by years . Maybe NYPD should upgrade once in a while
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I find that whole story rather hard to believe but then again it's NYPD
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#14]
So, stop bitching and get better holsters!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So they are bitching now about 20 year old holsters . Seems like they got the moneys worth out of them by years . Maybe NYPD should upgrade once in a while
View Quote

No shit.  Maybe two decades is a bit much to expect out of known bad holsters.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a Horry County SC police officer show how secure the 295 was by promptly yanking the Glock 22 out of a coworkers holster (with warning) as he stood right in front of him.  

I'm pretty sure they were issued and were not allowed to carry anything differently because I never saw any of them carry a different holster while they used a few different styles of handcuff cases.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
About 12 years ago the local sheriff department issued to each officer a new Safariland  SS III holster and new Sig 226 pistol.  
One day at the local range I was standing in the back having a drink when I noticed a young deputy officer go up to the shooting line.  He reached down and grabbed his pistol and tried to draw...but the pistol didn't come out.  He check the thumb snap and it was undone, he rocked the pistol back correctly so he pulled the pistol up and still nothing happened...except his belt line was now above his belly button. He pulled again and nothing...he yanked and still nothing...except his belt line was getting close to his nipples.  He looked and stared at it for about 2 minutes before he forgot about the middle finger snap.  He rocked the pistol and pulled at the pistol came out.  In all it took about 3 minutes to take the pistol out of the holster.
View Quote

Started my career with that holster in a p229 and it was faster that my lv2 I ended with
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jay Pee swivel holster.  They show up on ebay from time to time.  I collect holsters.  They are definitely an odd duck.  Not quite as weird as the old LAPD Safety Speed clamshell rigs, but close.  

I have two of them, plus a non-swivel model (lined with canvas if you can believe that).  East coast departments had some interesting rigs over the years.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Dept. regs say what you're allowed to use, you can't just buy any holster you want.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hell, even my backwater hometown PD had went to Model 19 .357s in a Jordan holster by then.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/9d/67/e2/9d67e286cb956e0971b783cea7e8516a.jpg
View Quote

Let's be realistic, there is always better equipment available.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I doubt many in use are 20 years old, I went through 4-5 of them IIRC over the years.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#22]

I am a bit confused.  20 years ago was 1996.  In 1996 the Los Angles Police Dept. issued Beretta 92s.  NYPD issued Glocks.  How are these two pieces of equipment compatible?

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I am a bit confused.  20 years ago was 1996.  In 1996 the Los Angles Police Dept. issued Beretta 92s.  NYPD issued Glocks.  How are these two pieces of equipment compatible?
View Quote

New York Daily News.  

LAPD also issued the Smith 5906 back in that era, and NYPD allowed the 5946.  So maybe that's where they came from.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, it did say that LAPD wasn't happy with them...

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would almost guarantee that it was a 4" revolver.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like its time to upgrade to some Uncle mikes. I hear their the best you can buy.

When you want to have your weapon stolen
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NYPD revolvers were four inch.

Funny thing about that holster: I was watching "Detective Story" with Kirk Douglas, one time. In the film, a uniform cop comes up to the squad room, and he's wearing one of those holsters.

"Detective Story" came out in 1951.

When I graduated from the police academy in 1990, I was wearing one of those holsters.  Nothing but the best for our boys!

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Funny thing about that holster: I was watching "Detective Story" with Kirk Douglas, one time. In the film, a uniform cop comes up to the squad room, and he's wearing one of those holsters.

When I graduated from the police academy in 1990, I was wearing one of those holsters.  Nothing but the best for our boys!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That design is close to a hundred years old.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Number one terrorist target in the country, worse equipment than some podunk town in the middle of nowhere.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wasn't by choice.  Department said here, this is the holster you are authorized to buy, buy it.  Any other holster is NOT authorized.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

They've been complaining about those holsters for years.  Just because it hit the news now, doesn't mean its a new complaint.  Cops cannot upgrade duty holsters, unless the department authorizes a new holster.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So, stop bitching and get better holsters!
View Quote

Like a lot of agencies, cops cannot just buy any duty holster they want to use. They have to buy and use whats "authorized" by the department.  Those second hand holsters were the only available holster.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#33]
So if every cop has had to replace their holster at least once, then all those old pieces of crap should have been phased out ages ago, right?

edit: covered
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So if every cop has had to replace their holster at least once, then all those old pieces of crap should have been phased out ages ago, right?
View Quote

Doesn't matter, you're only allowed to replace it with the same crappy model 295 Safariland holster.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter, you're only allowed to replace it with the same crappy model 295 Safariland holster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.  That sucks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#36]
If I recall it took NYPD forever to finally allow speed loaders for their revolvers. They used to use worthless dump pouches till like the 80's at least.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/9d/67/e2/9d67e286cb956e0971b783cea7e8516a.jpg
View Quote

Those are plumbers, not cops.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#39]
We've had guns grabbed from every kinda holster you could think of. I used a level-LL SLS for most of my career. Damn fine holster. If they have a hand on your gun you already failed.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

If I recall it took NYPD forever to finally allow speed loaders for their revolvers. They used to use worthless dump pouches till like the 80's at least.
View Quote
It took Scott Gadell getting killed in '86 for the NYPD to authorize speed loaders.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It took Scott Gadell getting killed in '86 for the NYPD to authorize speed loaders.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does he have a brother named Jeff in the Wantagh/Bellmore area? With a short fuse?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ahh the good old days, square body caprice and Motorola MX360 Paving Brick which doubles as an impact weapon under exigent circumstances.  We had the extended batteries that were half again bigger.  Never issued a revolver though.  I missed that by 5 or 6 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top