Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/26/2016 10:53:27 PM EDT
Yeah, it affects us: http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2016/08/25/weapon-outfitters-to-cease-offering-gunsmithing-services/

We’ve been offering high quality pinning and welding as well as basic gunsmithing services for years through 3rd party providers local to me. A machinist did fantastic work with the lathe and end mill, and a welder did fantastic TIG welding for us.

Due to these new regulations with significant financial cost and legal burden, we have to stop all gunsmithing services immediately
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought anyone who was machining, welding or cutting was already supposed to be paying the ITAR fee?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought anyone who was machining, welding or cutting was already supposed to be paying the ITAR fee?
View Quote

Only if you were manufacturing/exporting.
The new "Guidance" letter issued 22/07/2016 redefines who must "Register" and what they consider "Manufacturing".

It fucks EVERY Gunsmith in the nation.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been seeing local effects of this for over a year now.   The powers that be did some trials runs on fucking with gun shops.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Somehow the goverment alters the word "international" to mean "domestic".
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#5]
That was the objective.   The objective was to put people out of the gun business.

If you make your living with guns?   Well, fuck you I guess.   Go starve to death.  You should have picked a different career.   That's what we do in free countries.   We pick careers that we think the government probably won't destroy.   Probably.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#6]
It affects everything. You can't discuss a multitude of electronic hobbies anymore on open forums.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Trump is the only way that's going to be reversed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It affects everything. You can't discuss a multitude of electronic hobbies anymore on open forums.

View Quote

How so? Can you give any examples? I don't know anything about that side of it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They tried to put people in jail a decade ago for publishing their own encryption method.    Because of ITAR.

Clearly, the first amendment doesn't apply to math problems, I guess.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you share code related to encryption, or maintenance manuals, (even old ones) for mil radios etc...Hell it's technically illegal to ship a microphone for a 60 year old radio to a buddy in Europe.

Amateur radio satellite clubs can't even cooperate with other schools outside the USA and all they are doing is collaborating on education projects.

It's subjectively written to be a gun against your head at all times.

Ignorance is strength.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Riiighhht.

If he gives us 2A anything, I'll eat my hat. He may not take anything, but he won't give us any ground either.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They tried to put people in jail a decade ago for publishing their own encryption method.    Because of ITAR.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The free flow of information scares the fuck out of them. Hence trying to control the Internet. Obama is going to violate law and hand control of ICANN to internationalists.

For those that don't know.

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is an American private nonprofit organization that is responsible for coordinating the maintenance and procedures of several databases related to the namespaces of the Internet - thereby ensuring the network's stable and secure operation. ICANN performs the actual technical maintenance work of the central Internet address pools and DNS Root registries pursuant to the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) function contract.

Much of its work has concerned the Internet's global Domain Name System, including policy development for internationalization of the DNS system, introduction of new generic top-level domains (TLDs), and the operation of root name servers. The numbering facilities ICANN manages include the Internet Protocol address spaces for IPv4 and IPv6, and assignment of address blocks to regional Internet registries. ICANN also maintains registries of Internet protocol identifiers.

ICANN was created on September 18, 1998, and incorporated on September 30, 1998 in the state of California. It is headquartered in the Playa Vista neighborhood of the city of Los Angeles.

Breitbart News noted in 2014: U.S. control of domain names has guaranteed freedom of speech and commerce across the Internet, against the strenuous efforts of countries like China and Iran to suppress Internet traffic and content. In addition, victims of international terror have found potential relief in U.S. courts by suing to seize the domain names of countries like Iran in lieu of direct compensation. Without U.S. control, those victims would have no possible recourse.

The Republican-controlled House passed legislation in 2014 to defund the ICANN transfer, and in 2015 to provide Congress with a 30-day period to review it when it happens. Earlier this year, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI) introduced the Protecting Internet Freedom Act to prevent the transfer without Congressional approval.

It’s make or break for the internet as we know it. Unless Congress acts this summer, the Obama administration will end U.S. protection of the internet, handing authoritarian regimes the power they have long sought to censor the web globally, including in the U.S.

The battle lines were drawn last week when the Obama administration backed a plan submitted by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or Icann, to free itself in September from the U.S. oversight that has kept the internet open since the 1990s. In response, bills were introduced in the Senate and House to block the Obama internet surrender.

The administration falsely spins the U.S. role as "largely clerical.” In fact, U.S. control over Icann and the root zone of the internet though a Commerce Department contract stops China, Russia and others from interfering with the engineers, developers and others who operate the open internet.

Instead of shielding the internet from governments, the plan gives governments new powers. Authoritarian regimes would gain greater influence over the Icann board, and for the first time governments would have a vote on bylaw changes, removal of the board and the budget.

The Obama administration knows that the new internet-governance plan offers nothing like the guaranteed open internet under continued U.S. control.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The new "Guidance" letter issued 22/07/2016 redefines who must "Register" and what they consider "Manufacturing".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just part of the plan.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#15]
so whats next auto mechanic is now a auto maker?

this is a bullshit practice they are doing, there is a bill to defund this and put a stop to it. but I cannot recall the number at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Riiighhht.

If he gives us 2A anything, I'll eat my hat. He may not take anything, but he won't give us any ground either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riiighhht.

The government has decided to become antagonistic toward your rights and continues to poke and prod to see how far they can go before you will enforce them.  The longer you suffer in silence, the more the government will reinforce their message: You have no rights.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
so whats next auto mechanic is now a auto maker?

this is a bullshit practice they are doing, there is a bill to defund this and put a stop to it. but I cannot recall the number at the moment.
View Quote

I believe it is HR 829
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Riiighhht.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riiighhht.

I don't know about that...  

He likes to rub noses in poop.  

I believe he understands that an adversary who is apoplectic negotiates from an inferior position.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:50:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Meanwhile, thousands of gunsmiths are still in business around the country, with no intent on stopping business.

Gave up too easily if you ask me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The government has decided to become antagonistic toward your rights and continues to poke and prod to see how far they can go before you will enforce them.  The longer you suffer in silence, the more the government will reinforce their message: You have no rights.

Good luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riiighhht.

Good luck.

Somewhat ironic coming from someone in CA........
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riiighhht.

Good luck.

How so?  I'm just at the tip of a spear that is in my chest.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#23]
ATF should be disbanded

They should be folded into the FBI

ITAR.....well, that is  something else altogether
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

20 years in PMITA prison sounds fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meanwhile, thousands of gunsmiths are still in business around the country, with no intent on stopping business.

Who has gone to jail or threatened with jail / arrest by DoS over the new determknations made by them?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
ATF should be disbanded

View Quote

Although I agree with your first part, ATF has nothing to do with ITAR.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Who has gone to jail or threatened with jail / arrest by DoS over the new determknations made by them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You wanna be the one they make an example of? Up to $1,000,000 in fines plus Club Fed time

For many of us, the risk is not worth the reward.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, to hell with the ITAR bs
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:14:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, most are just ignoring the law, sorta like the Assault Weapon Ban.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:36:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Getting a barrel cut down and having a flash hider pinned on it will go the way of the dodo. So will removing a  pinned FSB, or installing one. Scratch getting a barrel threaded to your choice, too, as the gunsmith has to pay a $2250 annual fee to do that kind of work.

Now consider the guys doing custom 1911 or Glock work. Nope, they have to pay up or stop doing it.

What I think we will see is a lot more AR gas blocks that clamp on and AR builders buying parts that are finished only. I think it will put a big crimp in 14.5" pinned barrels being done after the purchase. For AR's it may backfire as makers learn to leave parts more interchangeable with no alterations necessary to modify it. Handgunners not so much unless the makers include that kind of philosophy. Like rear sights in dovetails and front sights replaceable, rather than milled integral.   But do stuff like flare a magwell or undercut a trigger guard? ITAR from what I see. So there will be pressure for makers to offer a variety of different options, and Bubba will start working over his guns himself even more as gunsmiths turn the jobs away.

You need to be firm with your representatives about getting this stopped. There's no real harm in modifying our firearms and the international implications are actually to send more work out to their factories. It's anti competitive and allows the foreign gun makers leverage over American smiths making alterations after the fact.

Just another example of selling our freedom for no gain in security.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:45:55 AM EDT
[#30]
So smiths will go underground?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:49:58 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
If you share code related to encryption, or maintenance manuals, (even old ones) for mil radios etc...Hell it's technically illegal to ship a microphone for a 60 year old radio to a buddy in Europe.

Amateur radio satellite clubs can't even cooperate with other schools outside the USA and all they are doing is collaborating on education projects.

Ignorance is strength.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ignorance is strength.
I kind of want one of the the ITAR prohibited t-shirts.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:55:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I wrote my rep about this and his office contacted me by phone in about two days. I went over the letter and discussed it with him for about 15 minutes. I got an E-mail a couple of days later stating that he was working with the DOS to get some answers. I figure that is a dead end at this point.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:59:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I need to check up on my local smith, Gary Kimball. He's a Wilson Combat recommended smith that's done great work for me
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:05:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Has anyone gotten actual clarification on this? A couple of years ago people were saying websites like this would have to shut down too...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:14:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Has anyone gotten actual clarification on this? A couple of years ago people were saying websites like this would have to shut down too...
View Quote
Give it time.... Obama hands the keys to the Internet over to Globalists in October.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:24:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I'd like to know where they got their "common and accepted" (or whatever term they used for the) definitions of gun smithing vs manufacturing. Gunsmiths have been improving the actions and accuracy of firearms for as long as there's been firearms.
For all the noise made about M855, I can't believe this decree is getting little more than a grumble.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:33:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Give it time.... Obama hands the keys to the Internet over to Globalists in October.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohh no, my wallet will keep money in it, I'll not read about gay sons fighting, and I won't want to fap to Taylor Swift's new boobs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:37:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Does this mean I'm SOL if I wanna go to a shop to get night sights installed on my g19/17?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:42:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ohh no, my wallet will keep money in it, I'll not read about gay sons fighting, and I won't want to fap to Taylor Swift's new boobs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a lot of tech here...not as fun, and not near as many tits, but it's there and they don't like the free flow of information.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:44:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Getting a barrel cut down and having a flash hider pinned on it will go the way of the dodo. So will removing a  pinned FSB, or installing one. Scratch getting a barrel threaded to your choice, too, as the gunsmith has to pay a $2250 annual fee to do that kind of work.

View Quote
Found the new regs. Cutting, drilling, and tapping for sight installation is specifically exempted.

It's ridiculous change only made to hurt the industry, but as far as actually hurting your ability to have the work performed, I doubt it will. It will cut down the options of where to have it done, but a lot of the larger operations doing stuff like this are either already ITAR registered or won't have any problem swinging a couple thousand bucks a year to stay compliant. A small bump in prices will easily cover it if you're doing much work at all. The guys it will kill off are the small time guys who do it on the side or just serve small communities, which is truly sad.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

Well, except for the ones with 07's that were already paying ITAR.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:49:12 AM EDT
[#42]
How long until smithing your own gun makes you a gunsmith?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:49:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Sucks, they were one of the few places that would pin a gas block on a nitrided barrel for a decent price.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
There's a lot of tech here...not as fun, and not near as many tits, but it's there and they don't like the free flow of information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

3D Printed Weapons for one thing. Information on tactics and war fighting. Free flow of political discussion and thought on liberty versus oppression. Etc....

The Internet is the 21st century printing press. Revolutions started back in the day because ideas like Thomas Paine's Common Sense and John Locke's Two Treatises of Government reached the masses.

We are having a similar wave of information. Now it is also uncovering the corruption of those in high positions of power. Both public and private. Panama Papers, DNC Election Rigging, Clinton Foundation, etc....
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:52:43 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Found the new regs. Cutting, drilling, and tapping for sight installation is specifically exempted.

It's ridiculous change only made to hurt the industry, but as far as actually hurting your ability to have the work performed, I doubt it will. It will cut down the options of where to have it done, but a lot of the larger operations doing stuff like this are either already ITAR registered or won't have any problem swinging a couple thousand bucks a year to stay compliant. A small bump in prices will easily cover it if you're doing much work at all. The guys it will kill off are the small time guys who do it on the side or just serve small communities, which is truly sad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

While I agree that the new ITAR regs are bullshit, for every small time guy worth a damn, there are 50 "gunsmiths" that are fucking up people's shit.

Hopefully those guys will give it up because of this and the legitimate small time smiths will see a big enough bump in business to cover ITAR and turn a hefty profit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:55:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

ATF should be disbanded

View Quote
and then the FBI disbanded

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:02:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ATF should be disbanded

James Comey can suck a fat dick.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:03:00 AM EDT
[#48]
It sucks, but ITAR is $2250 a year. If your business is predicated on.
$2250 a year, you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:06:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Now consider the guys doing custom 1911 or Glock work. Nope, they have to pay up or stop doing it.

What I think we will see is a lot more AR gas blocks that clamp on and AR builders buying parts that are finished only. I think it will put a big crimp in 14.5" pinned barrels being done after the purchase. For AR's it may backfire as makers learn to leave parts more interchangeable with no alterations necessary to modify it. Handgunners not so much unless the makers include that kind of philosophy. Like rear sights in dovetails and front sights replaceable, rather than milled integral.   But do stuff like flare a magwell or undercut a trigger guard? ITAR from what I see. So there will be pressure for makers to offer a variety of different options, and Bubba will start working over his guns himself even more as gunsmiths turn the jobs away.

You need to be firm with your representatives about getting this stopped. There's no real harm in modifying our firearms and the international implications are actually to send more work out to their factories. It's anti competitive and allows the foreign gun makers leverage over American smiths making alterations after the fact.

Just another example of selling our freedom for no gain in security.
View Quote

False. I got my license and went 07 knowing all of this. If 2250 makes or breaks your business, you were terrible anyway.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:10:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Faced with that, don't be surprised when someone makes interesting times for the arresting agents.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top